Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 00:27   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw why is no one suggesting an Acura or Lexus or Infinity in sub 20K budget Sedans? They are Japs with German like goodies Anything I am missing?
IS, G are cramped for four people with child seat. Also the miles will be on higher side. I have seen samples which have more than 90k miles on board and asking $15k or more. Repairs or regular maintenance is on higher side for this brands. Otherwise they are very good first buy options. My G belongs to that category.

But since Bala needs a SUV, its very hard to get one for that price unless its above 100k like a MDX. Here a 2004-2005 MDX with more than 105k miles are going for $13k+. Similarly Lexus RX is in same price range. Quite high IMHO. But yes, they are super good when it comes to owning and driving.

Seems Jersey City has pretty good car deals. Good way to enjoy great cars at great prices.

Last edited by chevelle : 11th April 2012 at 00:34.
Old 11th April 2012, 00:43   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
If you get hold of such gems, nothing like it. Acura is the most affordable luxury brand, so I guess thats why they go cheap. What model years were the cars you saw? Sometimes people who take public transport often end up having less than 7-8k miles a year on their cars. I have a good friend whose 2009 Infiniti FX has done less than 20k miles and it is in the 4th year! The couple takes public transport to work (Manhattan) so the car is only used on weekend grocery shopping or some road trips once in a while. They sold their X3 before that having done 15k miles in 3 years. So Jersey city is a likely place where you can find low mileage cars, with a lot of commuters heading towards Manhattan to work.
Very True, I would be one of those, who would have less daily running & hence can buy something nice hopefully.

A friedn of mine has a 2004 TSX which he had bought for 12k in 2009 & it had done 65k, i know its not very young but even today the car feels tight & well equipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
IS, G are cramped for four people with child seat. Also the miles will be on higher side. I have seen samples which have more than 90k miles on board and asking $15k or more. Repairs or regular maintenance is on higher side for this brands. Otherwise they are very good first buy options. My G belongs to that category.

But since Bala needs a SUV, its very hard to get one for that price unless its above 100k like a MDX. Here a 2004-2005 MDX with more than 105k miles are going for $13k+. Similarly Lexus RX is in same price range. Quite high IMHO. But yes, they are super good when it comes to owning and driving.

Seems Jersey City has pretty good car deals. Good way to enjoy great cars at great prices.
Thanks that explains well, yes Jersey city seems to have lot of dealers & deals

I would be looking for buying a sedan after a few months, my daily run would be less (Office in NYC) so hoping to get a nice Jap Luxury car, lets see
Old 11th April 2012, 00:55   #828
BHPian

Looks like TLs in Canada are relatively low mileage! There are cars under 20K with decent mileage but you have to look harder (e.g. 2007 Acura TL, $17,980 - Cars.com).
Old 11th April 2012, 00:56   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks that explains well, yes Jersey city seems to have lot of dealers & deals

I would be looking for buying a sedan after a few months, my daily run would be less (Office in NYC) so hoping to get a nice Jap Luxury car, lets see
That's good to hear. You have plenty of options then. More fun for less money. And since you are near Jersey City you can have best of both worlds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Looks like TLs in Canada are relatively low mileage! There are cars under 20K with decent mileage but you have to look harder (e.g. 2007 Acura TL, $17,980 - Cars.com).
The regular TL/TSX are not much fun to drive compared to IS, G since they are FWD. Also accord influence in interiors can be easily seen. Not a good idea when spending more for a premium version of accord. They are very good VFM cars though. SH-AWD TL is awesome though. Love the looks of 2003-2009 TLs. The best looking ones imho of all generation. Especially the Type-S version.

Last edited by chevelle : 11th April 2012 at 01:00.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:09   #830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
The regular TL/TSX are not much fun to drive compared to IS, G since they are FWD. Also accord influence in interiors can be easily seen. Not a good idea when spending more for a premium version of accord. They are very good VFM cars though. SH-AWD TL is awesome though. Love the looks of 2003-2009 TLs. The best looking ones imho of all generation. Especially the Type-S version.
Wasn't SH-AWD introduced in 2009 TLs? Those look horrid man! A nice interior but the front and rear is way over the top.

A TL is bigger than the accord and you can get a used one for pretty much the same amount of money so unless you have issues with a V6 drinking premium gas, TL is the way to go.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:12   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't SH-AWD introduced in 2009 TLs? Those look horrid man! A nice interior but the front and rear is way over the top.

A TL is bigger than the accord and you can get a used one for pretty much the same amount of money so unless you have issues with a V6 drinking premium gas, TL is the way to go.
Before the SH-AWD, there was the TL-S as the range topper in the Acura TL model. More power, lowered and stiffened suspension, optional manual transmission and was it a limited slip diff? not sure about that. Anyway the SH-AWD is a smart way to cover on the limitations of a front wheel drive car.
Old 11th April 2012, 01:25   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, that's the best thing i like about current TL. Not the looks, interior or engine. They need to get rid of that Ugly Beak asap. Actually for all models they need to do that. Wonder who approved it in first place. Would like to fire that guy and put a parrot's beak on guy's face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Before the SH-AWD, there was the TL-S as the range topper in the Acura TL model. More power, lowered and stiffened suspension, optional manual transmission and was it a limited slip diff? not sure about that. Anyway the SH-AWD is a smart way to cover on the limitations of a front wheel drive car.
Agreed and TL-S was awesome to drive too even though it was FWD. That manual was a dream though.

Last edited by chevelle : 11th April 2012 at 01:37.
Old 11th April 2012, 03:30   #833
BHPian

One of my current cars is a generation 3 Acura TL that does my daily drive and then some more. All I can say is that if you find a Gen-3 TL with <75K miles between $15K and $20K, buy it with closed eyes. You will not regret it.

Gen-4 TL's are awesome too with regards to everything but they get an extreme love-hate reaction for their looks (mostly 'hate' than 'love'). I personally value function over form, so the nosy Gen-4 Acura's do not really bother me. They are extremely capable vehicles and come with all sorts of technology. They are highly underrated in the midst of more boisterous competitors.
But I doubt you'll find a Gen-4 TL for anything in that price range at this time unless someone has really spun one over 125K miles.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 11th April 2012 at 03:47.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:50   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
You are right, space is one of the most important criteria for me, and one major reason for me to look at crossovers. While browsing I came across this Mazda5 which is a wagon type. It kind of fits my requirement, is it practical to use this as your daily car too? Is there any more options similar to Mazda5?

also look at Nissan Xterra and Nissan Pathfinder; very very capable vehicles and you should be able to get nice deals at aroud 15-17k budget.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:40   #835
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all your suggestions, I was almost sold on Mazda5 and I was getting lot of used one's well within my budget, but encountered the following issue.

The car comes only in 6 seater configuration - 3 rows of 2 seats each. Now, since my requirement would be for a front facing child seat for my young one who is just above 2 years old and a booster seat for my elder one who would be 5 years old. I cannot install either of these in the front and have to go for the middle row and that's where the challenge is. I wish it came with a rear bench instead of 2 seats option. Cant leave both of them unattended to - else, I need to put my elder one in the 3rd row seat, which will limit my cargo carrying ability!

Any work-around gentlemen? If this doesnt work out, I need to be contended with the other cross-overs that we have discussed earlier. Outlander, Tucson, Santa Fe, RAV4 and CR-V seems to be the best options.

How good are the hyundai's as far as reliability is concerned? I'm getting a few santa fe's within my budget but with relatively high mileage on the odo. 100k miles is the limit I had set for myself, but how far are these known to go without needing any attention?

Aren't these full size SUV's? I thought my needs wouldnt require an full size SUV, hence didnt consider them at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
also look at Nissan Xterra and Nissan Pathfinder; very very capable vehicles and you should be able to get nice deals at aroud 15-17k budget.

Last edited by bala80 : 11th April 2012 at 15:47.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:35   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot install either of these in the front and have to go for the middle row and that's where the challenge is. I wish it came with a rear bench instead of 2 seats option.
That's a limitation with the size of the Mazda 5. If they had to offer comfortable accommodation for 6 in the US, that's the only way - by offering captain seats on the second row.

Quote:
Aren't these full size SUV's? I thought my needs wouldnt require an full size SUV, hence didnt consider them at all.
I wouldn't call them full size SUVs. There are much bigger ones out here in the US . They are intermediate or even compact SUVs by the standards here.

With the conditions you mentioned, going for a 5 seater SUV would be your best bet. Pick up a Hyundai/Honda/Toyota with under 60k miles on the odo, you should be served well. Now, getting one in the price range you want maybe a little bit of a challenge. After you get here, you will have time to look around and get a good idea before getting the right vehicle.
Old 11th April 2012, 20:38   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Cant leave both of them unattended to -
Made my day Bala! I guess this is one of those the cultural things we doting desi's have about parenting.

I raised twins here without 'attending' to them in the back seat. This should be the least of your concerns. Kids do perfectly fine any which way, it is the parents who do not do well thinking the kids may not do well

If you like the Mazda5, go for it. And make sure wifey sits in the front seat and enjoys the ride, rather than playing seat-maid to the baby.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 11th April 2012 at 20:48.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 20:43   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The car comes only in 6 seater configuration - 3 rows of 2 seats each. Now, since my requirement would be for a front facing child seat for my young one who is just above 2 years old and a booster seat for my elder one who would be 5 years old. I cannot install either of these in the front and have to go for the middle row and that's where the challenge is. I wish it came with a rear bench instead of 2 seats option. Cant leave both of them unattended to - else, I need to put my elder one in the 3rd row seat, which will limit my cargo carrying ability!
I am assuming you are worried about the little one without mom. We have had our quest for since before my second child was born and we always keep the two boys in second row captain seats. My wife occasionally goes back to feed them on long drives, 5 year old is usually fine by himself anyway.

I have installed an extra mirror on top of my rear view mirror to watch them both, a month back I put a wide angle mirror on top of that and it' really wonderful. this way my auto day-night mirror is unaffected

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0020.jpg
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 20:56   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
These are based on older platform. Ride quality won't be that good. Family may complain about harsh ride. Also the FE is not good and there is too much noise filtering from outside. Its not a good family hauler imho. But if you wanna go to trails and remote places, these both are awesome SUVs. The new Pathfinder will be based on a different platform and is expected to cater to family quite well.

Last edited by chevelle : 11th April 2012 at 20:57.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:39   #840
BHPian

How is safeauto for car insurance? Getting lowest quote from them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks