Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 09:55   #691
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

amitog,

I've only one advice. Whatever you buy, buy something that you'll turn back and look when you walk away. I guess I'm old fashioned that way. I like to buy things that look good.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:39   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
amitog,

I've only one advice. Whatever you buy, buy something that you'll turn back and look when you walk away. I guess I'm old fashioned that way. I like to buy things that look good.
That's what being a car lover is all about, right? Your mind stays in the car long after your body has moved out of it. And vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I would suggest one main car as a reliable Japanese car. You can go with a European one for the second car.
Buying a car would be better than leasing. There are simply too many small discrepancies while leasing. Not worth the effort imho.
Used or new is something which only you can answer. But used-car market is awesome in USA and you will never feel wanting for a new car.

If you are considering BMW 328xi, consider its japanese competitors - infiniti G37, lexus is350 and acura TL. Similar FTD experience, more interior room for children at back, peace of mind and lower maintenance cost.

Also you will have to be ready for higher APR if you are first time buyer for used sedan.

Go for Credit Union banks. Most of the times they have the best rates.
Thank you so much for your inputs Chevelle.
All these are points i need to keep in mind when the actual hunt starts on the ground. I will check out the used car market as well but right now leaning towards a new one since my credit history will be quite short by the time i start looking for finance.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:06   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Given that we are a family of four, where two will be in child seats, space is necessary. But still, SUVs and those confused things called crossovers are lowest on the list.
How old are the kids Amitoj? If you have two young kids, 328i might be a bit cramped in the rear. The car seats take up a whole lot of space and since you are tall, you will want some space behind your seat. You do not want a rear facing child seat behind the driver's sear in a 3 and the kid won't like a fully pushed back seat even in a front facing car seat - you will get your backside kicked .

Look for something that's got a bit more legroom in the back. Just my 2 cents.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 02:36   #694
BHPian

Amitoj, if you are looking at lugging 2 car seats and associated paraphernalia (diaper bags, strollers, kid stuff et al), forget any small car in the 3-series mold. Better look at something in the full size sedan category at the minimum. If I knew your brand bias I could have made a few suggestions.

"Trucks" as in pickups (you mention Toyota Tundra) are equally useless for the purpose. You basically need a hefty trunk if you have 2 kids, simple.

If you are a family man, kill your urge (and/or ego) to go all out on any pocket rockets until your kids do not need car seats any more and opt for <one car one minivan> or <two cars>. Regardless of what anyone says, nothing beats the utility of a minivan for a family man.

I have raised twins here and I think I know what I'm talking
Old 13th March 2012, 09:29   #695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
How old are the kids Amitoj? If you have two young kids, 328i might be a bit cramped in the rear. The car seats take up a whole lot of space and since you are tall, you will want some space behind your seat. You do not want a rear facing child seat behind the driver's sear in a 3 and the kid won't like a fully pushed back seat even in a front facing car seat - you will get your backside kicked .

Look for something that's got a bit more legroom in the back. Just my 2 cents.
Youngest one will be just over 1 yr and the other 3+. So, probably both seats would be front facing but you bring up a valid point, simultaneously breaking my heart :(
In spite of having a pretty numb backside, thanks to 10+ years of marriage , i do not want it getting kicked while driving!

Sigh. I guess i will have to start looking at SUVs.
Old 13th March 2012, 18:23   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Youngest one will be just over 1 yr and the other 3+. So, probably both seats would be front facing but you bring up a valid point, simultaneously breaking my heart :(
In spite of having a pretty numb backside, thanks to 10+ years of marriage , i do not want it getting kicked while driving!

Whoa whoa ... hold your horses buddy! All's not lost here. You don't really need an SUV although am sure it'll be trifle more comfortable with kids stuff and what not. A bigger car will be almost as comfortable.

Why don't you get a family car/SUV first? Get something that has space and can be driven by your wife easily. Then once things settle down a bit, get yourself a nice car that you'll enjoy driving - best of both worlds!
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 19:43   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think to start off you are better off with an SUV (also will be of great help when buying furniture/electronics etc. or on your trips to Ikea/Cost Co and the like). Once you are settled, you can hand over keys of the SUV to the wifey and get yourself a nice fun to drive car (like a used M3 or RS4 etc.).

I was confused on my requirements earlier (I posted what I was looking for in this thread too). Eventually I went ahead and got what my heart was set on.. A Subaru Forester, it is a 2009 model X Limited. I like the navi and the huge panoramic moonroof amongst the features (apart from the fact that it is compact yet spacious and has standard AWD). It has already been pretty useful in buying/moving stuff when I moved into an apartment from the hotel room. I'm going to do the exact same thing that I suggested to you - get a fun to drive car when it comes to us requiring a second car, and wifey is more than happy to drive the Forester, she already likes the driving position and the all round visibility. She is a sedate driver and hence doesn't do any high speed maneuvers that would require a low slung brilliant handling car.
I may go for a VW GTI/Golf R or a Mazdaspeed 3 or a Focus ST (if it is launched in the US) in that order, come a situation that am looking for a second car. I feel that the higher end Germans are priced out of my budget right now.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 22:11   #698
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Focus ST (if it is launched in the US) in that order, come a situation that am looking for a second car.
The Focus ST is coming to the US. It'll be here around mid to end 2012, sold as a 2013 model.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 22:18   #699
BHPian

^ Yup! already on ford USA website , coming this spring! But no RS :(

@Amitoj

Again, WAGON !WAGON!WAGON!
I bet the A4 avant looks good now.
For tundra, My wife saw a Red Tundra limited and fell in love with, no practicability aspects pondered over! she has been driving for less than 6 months, I am holding that till I am confident that she handle the damn thing.
Interest rates range 0.0 ( for some models with well qualified buyers) to 3.9% APR . I did not have any credit history , my credit union gave the loan at 2.9 APR.
The CTS-V does not float though(I am a fan) and is very different from any other caddy or any other CTS for that matter.
Other options are Infy G37( I dont like it ,i dont know why),Acura TL( I dont like it because of the dental grill) ,Lexus IS/ES, if you want to go used JAGUAR XF( my wild card entry into the fray )

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 13th March 2012 at 22:39.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 22:49   #700
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
The CTS-V does not float though(I am a fan) and is very different from any other caddy or any other CTS for that matter.
Other options are Infy G37( I dont like it ,i dont know why),Acura TL( I dont like it because of the dental grill) ,Lexus IS/ES, if you want to go used JAGUAR XF( my wild card entry into the fray )
How about the CTS-V Wagon? That's a fun car by Cadillac with a stick.

I agree with you on the Infiniti G37 & the Acura TL - I liked the previous versions i.e the G35 and the 2nd generation TL better.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 23:07   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Since you are averse to cross overs, I will suggest looking at honda pilot/toyota highlander etc. But take a look at honda odyssey/toyota sienna. More room, handle like a sedan, and are heavier than sedans resulting is much comfortable ride. not to mentioned all the amenities you get with those. The new sienna comes with a recliner type footrest in second row seats . And you can carry friends/family too if needed.

BMW/ACURA/LExus Vs Honda/Toyota: keep in mind if you want the same level of creature comforts, you will pay much more in luxury brands.

4cyl vs 6 cyl: On highways, 6 cyl will be marginally expensive in terms of MPG but many times comfortable and quieter.

short wheelbase vs long wheelbase: you will love a short wheelbase in city but on highway long wheelbase will be much more comfortable.

I suggest a family car as suggested above for long drives and a fun city car for local trips. My wife has a convertible beetle, very comfortable for 2 kids in the back and no problem in parking for her. Beetle, mini, mitsubishi eclipse, even short wheelbase jeep will do. Too bad there are not many convertibles in 4 seat config.

EDIT: what? no motorcycle?
More edit: sienna also comes with AWD if you are interested.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 13th March 2012 at 23:12.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 00:41   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
How about the CTS-V Wagon? That's a fun car by Cadillac with a stick.

I agree with you on the Infiniti G37 & the Acura TL - I liked the previous versions i.e the G35 and the 2nd generation TL better.
The only problem is The "v" will only be in used form in your budget, but do remember that CTS-V a 5 series comparable space wise.
CTS-V Wagon stick shift, I agree, is a car you drive before you decide. The only problem is CTS is in the later part of its model cycle.I dont mind the interior design because of the vette engine up front , may be an issue to some.

Minivan wise , If you are considering Minivans, I have absolutely no experience (I hear they are very practical)!

@aah78
Cars that I think previous gens were better-Not a comprehensive list . from top of my head, just USA.
Impreza wrx/sti
Lancer evo
Infy G35
All Acura sedans, especially TL/TSX,(Nothing like RSX-S/Integra)
Honda s2000(no replacement) civic Si( new ones lose the race to competition)
Sentra SE-R( same problem as civic Si)
In fact right now Honda and Toyota donot produce anything for the enthusiast(FT86 is yet to be on road, v6 versions of camcord are not sporty please)

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 14th March 2012 at 00:59.
Old 14th March 2012, 00:57   #703
BHPian

Forgive my ignorance and curiosity, but in all this I am wondering how is Amitoj going to manage 2 cars for the price of a BMW 3series (~$35K), which I presume is his budget.

The Last I looked, the Cadillac CTS-V vehicles vend for $60K+, so I do not know how they fit into Amitoj's requirement.

Infiniti G series costs more or less the same as a BMW 3 series (give or take a few), so does a Lexus IS250, and so does an Acura TL.

In any case, I will keep reading on for the sake of my own curiosity as to how this turns out.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 03:16   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Forgive my ignorance and curiosity, but in all this I am wondering how is Amitoj going to manage 2 cars for the price of a BMW 3series (~$35K), which I presume is his budget.

The Last I looked, the Cadillac CTS-V vehicles vend for $60K+, so I do not know how they fit into Amitoj's requirement.

Infiniti G series costs more or less the same as a BMW 3 series (give or take a few), so does a Lexus IS250, and so does an Acura TL.

In any case, I will keep reading on for the sake of my own curiosity as to how this turns out.
And that is why he needs to go for a pre-owned one. He can easily get a 3/G/IS/TL for $15k and get a brand new car worth $20k.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 03:21   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post

All that is presuming he will buy used "v " . And I am hoping that one drives one of the cars he will be hooked. I am the devil

Most Viewed