Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2023, 04:42   #6526
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi all, Stuck with Car finance here in Brampton, Canada. Moved here on WP 3 months ago, Tried Mazda, Auto planet and no one ready to do finance for me. Though I have three months credit, but hard luck so far. Don't want to go with co-signer, any place I get approve here?
Old 15th June 2023, 16:36   #6527
BHPian

Recently picked up the Miata .

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-fbb658f2a034454ea4dfa65724375517.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2023 at 05:07. Reason: Fixed.
akshay380 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 03:36   #6528
BHPian

Can I buy a used car in San Francisco and then drive it back to New York (where I live) on temporary plates? What about the tolls on the way? Can I get a temporary EZPass or something ? All the reasonably prices used cars seem to be located on the West Coast for some reason.
Old 25th June 2023, 04:17   #6529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Can I buy a used car in San Francisco and then drive it back to New York (where I live) on temporary plates? ... Can I get a temporary EZPass or something?
Yes, check the states you plan to drive through though, some states will not allow temporary plates.
If you're in NYC, then you can get a E-ZPass from the website (there's no temporary E-ZPass).
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 07:35   #6530
Senior - BHPian

Folks,
Any suggestions for getting an auto-loan? Planning to buy a new set of wheels in the next 3-6 weeks. I've a credit history that is 5+ years and pretty good (780+).

If it is relevant, I live in Chicagoland.

TIA

Before you ask, here's the history: I've had only 1 car till now - a 2012 Ford Fusion which I bought in July 2019 in SF Bay Area (and sold in July 2022 when I moved to DT Chicago). I availed dealer financing (via Wells Fargo) as I had limited credit history when I had just started working and paid off the car within 5 months!

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 27th June 2023 at 07:40.
Old 27th June 2023, 08:04   #6531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Folks,
Any suggestions for getting an auto-loan? Planning to buy a new set of wheels in the next 3-6 weeks!
I shopped around for a good deal and went with Mazda financing where they have a tie up Toyota and the interest rate was reasonable as compared to Aero Federal / Desert union. Check with the car manufacturer before you sign up.
mazda4life is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 10:07   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,
Any suggestions for getting an auto-loan? Planning to buy a new set of wheels in the next 3-6 weeks. I've a credit history that is 5+ years and pretty good (780+).
Check with your dealer once you finalize on the car, dealers usually make it a sweet deal.
I went with DCU, as mine was an individual purchase, for 7.99% with a score of 680 and 1yr credit history. APR % is high than usual, but with better score DCU is offering about 5.7%.

Get a quote from dealers and then check with a couple of financial institutions before taking a call. Good luck on your purchase.
21Archer84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 10:22   #6533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
I went with DCU, as mine was an individual purchase, for 7.99% with a score of 680 and 1yr credit history.
OT: Wow! Interest rates have gone up insanely. In 2014, I got a DCU car loan for 1.24%, which went down to 0.99% after some 3-4 months of on-time payments. DCU had some scheme then, which reduced APR if payments were done on time consistently.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:43   #6534
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,
Most of my auto loans have been through my CU (UMCU) and i have a long history with them. I have had a few exceptions of going with the OEMs when they had better offers than my CU's published base rates.

Auto loan APR have been pretty bad since Fed starting increasing the rates since last Fall. Early last year, my loan APR through my CU was less than 2% and their current base rate is 6.5%. There are chances that you might not get the base APR of a CU due to limited loan history even though you have a good credit score.

You can use this database (LINK) to find nearby CUs who might offer attractive rates for local residents. Rates in the database might not be always accurate but at least would give you the name of the CUs and you can verify their current base rate by going to their webpage.
vj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:41   #6535
BHPian

Quote:
Can I buy a used car in San Francisco and then drive it back to New York (where I live) on temporary plates? What about the tolls on the way? Can I get a temporary EZPass or something ? All the reasonably prices used cars seem to be located on the West Coast for some reason.
Of course you can do that, easily. All States recognize Temp Tags issued by another State for their period of validity.

You can get an EZPass transponder before you fly out and just mount that on the windshield. NYS will give you 30 days on the Temp Tags to get it inspected and registered, with sales tax being due on the rate of the registering county of residence.

Some States will charge their own sales tax (for example Ohio, if buying from a dealer) and NYS then adjusts that payment against the amount due when registering. Private sales usually do not do that.

Last edited by VCheng : 27th June 2023 at 17:43.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:49   #6536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
Some States will charge their own sales tax (for example Ohio, if buying from a dealer) and NYS then adjusts that payment against the amount due when registering. Private sales usually do not do that.
Thanks for the information. Apparently a few states don't recognise temporary tags from other states like New Hampshire (as pointed out by aah78) so I would have to plan the route back.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2023 at 05:12. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 27th June 2023, 18:55   #6537
BHPian

Quote:
A small correction, Ohio charges Sales Tax irrespective of the where the car was purchased from (Dealer/Individual). I paid 7.5% sales tax few days ago on the purchase price, for an individual transaction.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2023 at 05:12. Reason: Spacing.
Old 27th June 2023, 19:14   #6538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
A small correction, Ohio charges Sales Tax irrespective of the where the car was purchased from(Dealer/Individual). I paid 7.5% sales tax few days ago on the purchase price, for an individual transaction.
That would be when registering the car in Ohio, correct? If a private sale occurs, and the vehicle is taken out of State, what happens?

Quote:
Thanks for the information. Apparently a few states don't recognise temporary tags from other states like New Hampshire (as pointed out by aah78) so I would have to plan the route back.
More info here:

https://www.temporarylicenseplates.o...ask-questions/

TBH I do not know specifically about NH, but generally all States do recognize any valid registration of any other State, temporary or not.

Last edited by VCheng : 27th June 2023 at 19:20.
VCheng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 05:09   #6539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Recently picked up the Miata .
Nice, can't go wrong with a MX-5 Miata. I would get one if I had any additional parking space.
What year & sub-model is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
DCU had some scheme then, which reduced APR if payments were done on time consistently.
Yes, Federal Reserve has consistently raised the rates over the past year to battle inflation. I've had 0% rates in the past as well - no such luck now.

Quote:
That would be when registering the car in Ohio, correct? If a private sale occurs, and the vehicle is taken out of State, what happens?
but generally all States do recognize any valid registration of any other State, temporary or not.
For a private sale you will not be paying any sales tax to the individual you purchase it from - they have no authority to collect if it's a private party.
For purchases from an out-of-state dealer, in most cases, the dealership will hand over (or mail) the paperwork to you, and have you handle the DMV paperwork (registration, titling, sales tax, etc.) in your state.
If you paid Sales Tax in another state you can claim reciprocal credit when registering in your state. This is done while filing in your registration documentation.

NH does recognize (I've purchased a car from there) but MA is one of the few that confirmed does not recognize out-of-state temp plates, or issue temp plates.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th June 2023 at 05:27. Reason: Merged.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 15:04   #6540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
NH does recognize (I've purchased a car from there) but MA is one of the few that confirmed does not recognize out-of-state temp plates, or issue temp plates.
So no out of state car buying and driving back for residents of Taxachussetts or is there some other way?

Last edited by aah78 : 6th July 2023 at 03:57. Reason: Quote trimmed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks