Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2023, 07:15   #6511
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I would highly recommend the Civic hatchback, if 2WD is not a problem.
It's a problem given the weather here.

Meanwhile, SA called and told us that he can deliver an incoming '2023 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech Automatic transmission ' that the customer cancelled the order.

Now, this has got me even more confused

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th April 2023 at 07:16.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 07:26   #6512
BHPian

Are used cars (especially almost new ones) more expensive on the East coast (NYC area) than the rest of the US? I was searching for a 1-2 year old BMW 530i and they seem to be about 10%+ more expensive in the NYC TriState area. California and Texas seem to be the cheapest for this particular model. Does it make sense buying it from somewhere else and then shipping it to NYC?

Also is there any drawback in buying a 1 year old BMW from an Infiniti or Lexus dealer (they probably got it in a trade in)? I am guessing it would still have the remaining of the 4 year manufacturer warranty.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 04:39. Reason: Spacing.
Old 30th April 2023, 07:38   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Meanwhile, SA called and told us that he can deliver an incoming '2023 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech Automatic transmission ' that the customer cancelled the order.
You might want to TD one before moving forward. In 2016, i wanted to get an automatic WRX but the transmission was a big turn off for me. CVT was very lethargic and not sure why Subaru even gave it as an option which was reflected in the sales numbers. I have read that the transmission has improved significantly in the current generation but i have not driven one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Are used cars (especially almost new ones) more expensive on the East coast (NYC area) than the rest of the US? I was searching for a 1-2 year old BMW 530i and they seem to be about 10%+ more expensive in the NYC TriState area.
Auto market is still not back to the normal (pre 2020 days) and majority of the dealers in the metro areas still think they can get whatever they want on used and new cars. Pre 2020, i bought most of my vehicles out of state (DC area to be specific) as those dealers gave the best deals on brand new vehicles and discounts ranged between 15-20% off MSRP on three different vehicles. So getting a vehicle out of state and getting it shipped or driving it back home might work out way cheaper.

Quote:
Also is there any drawback in buying a 1 year old BMW from an Infiniti or Lexus dealer (they probably got it in a trade in)? I am guessing it would still have the remaining of the 4 year manufacturer warranty.
Major disadvantage would be the CPO status which would add to the existing bumper to bumper warranty. If you are buying from another OEM's dealer, you might want to check the history of the vehicle and make sure that the previous owner has not done anything which would void the vehicle warranty in BMW's database. You can do this by reaching out to any BMW dealer with the VIN and some dealers might charge a small fee to furnish the service / vehicle history. Even if you buy a CPO vehicle from a BMW dealer, i would highly recommend a third party inspection before singing your paperwork.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 04:40. Reason: Quotes trimmed, spacing, posts merged.
vj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 19:04   #6514
BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
So getting a vehicle out of state and getting it shipped or driving it back home might work out way cheaper.
Thanks for the info, can you share which models you managed to get such a huge discount on? Was the model about to be changed or was it an end of the year period?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Even if you buy a CPO vehicle from a BMW dealer, i would highly recommend a third party inspection before singing your paperwork.
I know about the CPO warranty but if I buy a 6 month old car I would still get 3.5 years manufacturer warranty vs 4.5 years if I buy it from a BMW dealer. I think that might be worth a 10-15% discount.

I thought a CPO vehicle from a BMW dealer would be trustworthy especially since they give a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty on top of the original 4 year warranty. Are there some third party companies that do this type of inspection ?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 04:41. Reason: Quotes trimmed, spacing.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 00:53   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, can you share which models you managed to get such a huge discount on? Was the model about to be changed or was it an end of the year period?
None of the purchases were last MY vehicles or during year end sale. They were 2018 Durango (custom order) from a well known dealer in the Jeep community and 2016 & 2019 GTI from a high volume dealership. These deals were pre 2020 and i highly doubt if we will ever see them again anytime in the near future. Post 2020, getting an in demand vehicle without any ADM would be a good deal.

Quote:
I thought a CPO vehicle from a BMW dealer would be trustworthy especially since they give a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty on top of the original 4 year warranty. Are there some third party companies that do this type of inspection ?
You might want to do your due diligence even while buying a CPO. One can find plenty of reports in VAG and BWM forums that dealers sold tuned vehicles as CPOs and the buyer was not able to do any warranty claims after purchase. I have bought a couple of pre owned vehicles and I typically perform the inspection using a reputable garage in the area or with a independent shop who specialize in that particular brand.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 04:41. Reason: Spacing.
vj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 04:52   #6516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are used cars (especially almost new ones) more expensive on the East coast (NYC area) than the rest of the US?
Does it make sense buying it from somewhere else and then shipping it to NYC?
I am guessing it would still have the remaining of the 4 year manufacturer warranty.
There shouldn't be a huge difference in price between states but sometimes, yes, you can get a deal buying out of state.
- Are you looking for specifically CPO BMWs only? I've had good experience with Ray Catena BMW in Westchester and BMW Mt. Kisco, compared to BMW NYC. Also, check NJ and CT dealers.
No harm buying elsewhere and shipping it to NYC.
Yes, basic manufacturer warranty will still be valid. If previous owner had purchased an extended warranty, then that will most-probably not transfer.

Somethings to consider buying out of state though:
  • Shipping charges from CA to NY.
  • NY DMV limits dealer fees to $75. Some other states do not and dealers can tack on large documentation fees (say $300).
  • You're still responsible for paying registration fees and taxes in NY (NYC tax: 8.875%).

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 04:56.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 06:05   #6517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Somethings to consider buying out of state though:
Thanks for the pointers. I was looking for CPO BMW for the piece of mind and warranty. At this point I'm just doing some research as I can only buy one once I move to NJ in a few months where parking is more affordable .

I just found a new 2023 530i typically sells for $55k (4-5k discount from MSRP) and some unsold MY2022 for $50k. The new 5 series will be launched next month so it may be a few months down the line I may be able to buy a new one(MY 2022-23) in my budget once the new model hits the dealerships.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st May 2023 at 06:24. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
Foxbat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 09:48   #6518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's a problem given the weather here.

Which car did you finally end up with?

Pls remember WRX will be hard on the back due to its stiff suspension. It wouldn't be an enjoyable daily driver as its tuned for sporty driving.

I would recommend the Forrester or the Outback for a more comfortable yet enjoyable drive.

Quote:
Are used cars (especially almost new ones) more expensive on the East coast (NYC area) than the rest of the US? I was searching for a 1-2 year old BMW 530i and they seem to be about 10%+ more expensive in the NYC TriState area. California and Texas seem to be the cheapest for this particular model. Does it make sense buying it from somewhere else and then shipping it to NYC?

There is no thumb rule that a particular region in US is more expensive than others. It all depends on individual dealers on how much mark-up they would like to play around with.

If you read my BMW ownership. I bought mine through a dedicated BMW agent who scouted entire USA and found me a killer deal. I had paid the agent $500 for her services. I flew to Washington DC and picked up my spanking new BMW which was a memorable trip for us (Everything is outlined in detail in my ownership thread)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4990969

You can employ such an agent (start with DSR Leasing) who can get you best deal for a brand new BMW.

Also remember, it does not help in saving money if you buy from other state.

Before they hand over the car, you need to pay your state registration charges (For example, if I bought in DC and taxes there are 3% and need to take the car back to Michigan where the taxes are 6.5%, I still pay 6.5% so there is no option to save taxes even if you buy out of state).

Cheers and Goodluck on your new BMW.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 04:36   #6519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

If you read my BMW ownership. I bought mine through a dedicated BMW agent who scouted entire USA and found me a killer deal. I had paid the agent $500 for her services. I flew to Washington DC and picked up my spanking new BMW which was a memorable trip for us (Everything is outlined in detail in my ownership thread)

You can employ such an agent (start with DSR Leasing) who can get you best deal for a brand new BMW.
Thanks for the detailed advice

Can you DM the contact of agent or the website of the agency?
Is this the website https://dsrleasing.com/

I see only leasing options on this.
Old 6th May 2023, 05:47   #6520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Which car did you finally end up with?
Nothing . Had to fly back due to work.

Tesla is a no-brainer usually, especially with a 5 K +4 K subsidy on the base model in BC (my son ships his own Model 3 to Ontario) and gets a new one. Since this vehicle is going to be used only for errands, my wife is not keen to get a new one. However, he is not very keen to change to a similar and wants to buy something German

Another important thing weighing on the decision is the newer Model 3. Not sure when will it come and what will be the prices. So, all this conundrum.

Quote:
Pls remember WRX will be hard on the back due to its stiff suspension. It wouldn't be an enjoyable daily driver as its tuned for sporty driving.
Yeah, dropped that entirely. I could not drive the Outback as the dealer had none from the newer years. He should get some to drive next week. Have asked my wife to check next week. Such examples excite me over Tesla.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Subaru_Outb...t=share_button

I haven't travelled much in Ontario and doing road trips on the Outback can be fun in summer.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2023 at 05:48.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2023, 21:36   #6521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tesla is a no-brainer usually, especially with a 5 K +4 K subsidy on the base model in BC (my son ships his own Model 3 to Ontario) and gets a new one. Since this vehicle is going to be used only for errands, my wife is not keen to get a new one. However, he is not very keen to change to a similar and wants to buy something German
Since your current T is a much older version, I would recommend driving the newer model. They have improved a lot and is a super exciting car to drive and in fact in my personal opinion, drives better than my BMW.
If he is keen on German, it’s a no brainer. It’s got to be a BMW.
Other options of Audi and Mercedes never excited me (at least in the < $70K budget) and have driven quite a few of them. For what they cost, I find them simply boring cars to drive.

Quote:
Another important thing weighing on the decision is the newer Model 3. Not sure when will it come and what will be the prices. So, all this conundrum.
I think it will come next year. But, what is the major change?
Minor Cosmetic changes or will there be a better battery pack? Either ways, the price will be higher for sure.

Quote:
Yeah, dropped that entirely. I could not drive the Outback as the dealer had none from the newer years. He should get some to drive next week. Have asked my wife to check next week. Such examples excite me over Tesla.
I have driven the Outback and Forrester. Both are super popular models for cold places and you may be aware, Subaru AWD system is the best in business.
If you look beyond it’s not so complimentary exteriors, It’s spacious, drives really well and would be a great companion for long drives. ( A friend in his Forrester and I in my BMW did a 3500 miles road trip from Seattle to Tijuana, Mexico. I have seen it closely on how it performs and would highly recommend).

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed advice:
Let me PM you with some more inputs.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th May 2023 at 04:16. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 03:27   #6522
BHPian

Hi all, I am getting a used 100K Miles run Volvo XC 90 for under 20K. The vehicle belongs to someone from own family and the vehicle history is known to me. No issues. But I am concerned that at that high mileage, it may call for high maintenance. Is it worth considering this vehicle? It will be used for local running, if bought. Please advise
Old 7th May 2023, 03:48   #6523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Hi all, I am getting a used 100K Miles run Volvo XC 90 for under 20K. The vehicle belongs to someone from own family and the vehicle history is known to me. No issues. But I am concerned that at that high mileage, it may call for high maintenance. Is it worth considering this vehicle? It will be used for local running, if bought. Please advise
Get a AAA membership, and enjoy high mileage non- jap used cars with peace of mind. We have a Chevy Colorado, & Ford Ranger for local runs, super convenient, super affordable.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 19:08   #6524
BHPian

Gas station issue in NJ - asked to fill up regular 87 fuel. Attendant fills ups Ultra 93 and then when confronted, says he filled up 87 and there must be some problem in your bill. Sounded strange. Asked him to fill again and press 87 in front of us. This time bill comes okay and shows right amount. We again confront him and he says sorry. Could it be a fraud and needs to be reported? Amount overcharged was only 18 but this was the first time ever in US that we experienced something like this and thought of reporting but not sure. Any advise? This was at a Sunoco pump.
Old 10th May 2023, 08:30   #6525
BHPian

Moved to CA in February this year and bought the Hyundai 2023 Santafe last month. Basically myself and my wife were in search of our first car here in Folsom. Took test drives at Honda, Toyota and Kia but most of them did not have the version or the trim levels we were looking for. These guys did not even give is an option to pre-book the trim level we wanted and asked to pickup from their stock options. Finally visited Folsom Lake Hyundai and were able to get the Santafe 2023 limited trim level, AWD (HTRAC) with the color my wife liked.

Attaching a few pictures of the car. Drove about 700miles and quite impressed with the features the car has to offer. The top trim level Calligraphy version was ruled out as the 3-4 additional features on top of limited were not worth the price tag it demanded.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184145.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184153.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184205.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184231.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184245.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184256.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184343.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184357.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184417.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184436.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184450.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230417_184601.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191012.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191044.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191110.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191130.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191223.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191305.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191317.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191353.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191506.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20230504_191827.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 11th May 2023 at 02:14. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
MercFan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks