Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2012, 08:28   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

hi all,

just want to share my update - i ended up buying a new mazda3 isport. i know this will be criticized by some, but after driving many cars (corollas, cobalts, civic, accord, altima, a couple of mustangs, several mazda3s and a couple of mazda6s, golfs, jettas, a sonata), i was convinced this is the car i wanted. i dont know why exactly i like it so much - i think it perfectly suits my idea of good visibility, handling, compact dimensions, low-end punch, steering feel & responsiveness, sitting position that i like, of course the price factor... in fact i liked it so much i decided to go for a new one (since all the "good condition" pieces i found were not available for less than 12k / 13k, and new one before tax is 16k).

its been 3 weeks since i got the car and it has been great. drove it to berkeley and santa cruz so far, apart from the local drives. just love the way it behaves.

so far i have only one grouse with it but that's something i can live with or fix: the oem music player doesn't have a USB option (can you believe that? my indica had it!) and the cd player doesn't have a song shuffle option (again shocked). right now i have almost got used to this (a throwback to the era of compact discs) but if i really want i can change the music system later i guess. but the sound quality is awesome, no issues with that.

a few pics..
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-picture-458-fileminimizer.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-picture-459-fileminimizer.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-picture-461-fileminimizer.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-picture-462-fileminimizer.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-picture-464-fileminimizer.jpg  

Last edited by rajushank84 : 27th February 2012 at 08:37.
Old 27th February 2012, 08:47   #632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I ended up buying a new mazda3 isport. i know this will be criticized by some, but after driving many cars (corollas, cobalts, civic, accord, altima, a couple of mustangs, several mazda3s and a couple of mazda6s, golfs, jettas, a sonata), i was convinced this is the car i wanted. i dont know why exactly i like it so much - i think it perfectly suits my idea of good visibility, handling, compact dimensions, low-end punch, steering feel & responsiveness, sitting position that i like, of course the price factor... in fact i liked it so much i decided to go for a new one (since all the "good condition" pieces i found were not available for less than 12k / 13k, and new one before tax is 16k).
Great choice! What made you think that the Mazda 3 will draw criticism? Personally I feel that it’s a great little car. Nice choice of colour too… Happy driving
Old 27th February 2012, 09:09   #633
BHPian

Quote:
hi all,

just want to share my update - i ended up buying a new mazda3 isport. i know this will be criticized by some, but after driving many cars (corollas, cobalts, civic, accord, altima, a couple of mustangs, several mazda3s and a couple of mazda6s, golfs, jettas, a sonata),
congratulations on the car. I have driven Mazda3 and Mazda6 a few times (I rented a car for my weekend trips every alternate week for four years, so have driven everything that every rental agency has to offer) and surely this one is better than Corolla and Civic in terms of drivability and handling.
did you get any discounts on the final price?
Old 27th February 2012, 09:36   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Great choice! What made you think that the Mazda 3 will draw criticism? Personally I feel that it’s a great little car. Nice choice of colour too… Happy driving
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
congratulations on the car. I have driven Mazda3 and Mazda6 a few times (I rented a car for my weekend trips every alternate week for four years, so have driven everything that every rental agency has to offer) and surely this one is better than Corolla and Civic in terms of drivability and handling.
did you get any discounts on the final price?
thanks! well many people seem to have the opinion that we can get a higher-segment (bmw or something, or at least accord/camry) secondhand car instead of a new one, and i am not sure i disagree. but this was a heart decision

i am not sure about discount. the dealer claimed that the price is 18k and he is giving it for 16, but i am finding that to be the quoted price on many websites. i think the dealer tricked me into thinking he is giving me a discount. anyways.

actually i take that back about the song shuffle option. the car does have it, i was not looking for it in the right place. just found it. am happy now .
Old 27th February 2012, 22:08   #635
BHPian

Congrats @rajushank84!

Guys can anyone recommend me a good reliable garage around Edison NJ area? Just for general maintenance, nothing severe. Thanks!
Old 27th February 2012, 23:32   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi all,

just want to share my update - i ended up buying a new mazda3 isport.
Congratulations on your new acquisition. Hope you have miles of driving fun. Enjoy, its a peppy little car.
Old 28th February 2012, 02:03   #637
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, that's a nice car

Quote:

so far i have only one grouse with it but that's something i can live with or fix: the oem music player doesn't have a USB option (can you believe that? my indica had it!) and the cd player doesn't have a song shuffle option (again shocked). right now i have almost got used to this (a throwback to the era of compact discs) but if i really want i can change the music system later i guess. but the sound quality is awesome, no issues with that.

a few pics..
Dont worry my friend's 2004 Acura TSX with all gizmos does not have USB & the CD player doesn't support mp3
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:17   #638
BHPian

Quote:
hi all,

just want to share my update - i ended up buying a new mazda3 isport. i know this will be criticized by some, but after driving many cars (corollas, cobalts, civic, accord, altima, a couple of mustangs, several mazda3s and a couple of mazda6s, golfs, jettas, a sonata), i was convinced this is the car i wanted. i dont know why exactly i like it so much - i think it perfectly suits my idea of good visibility, handling, compact dimensions, low-end punch, steering feel & responsiveness, sitting position that i like, of course the price factor... in fact i liked it so much i decided to go for a new one (since all the "good condition" pieces i found were not available for less than 12k / 13k, and new one before tax is 16k).

its been 3 weeks since i got the car and it has been great. drove it to berkeley and santa cruz so far, apart from the local drives. just love the way it behaves.

a few pics..
Mazda 3 is the most fun to drive in the segment. Its a lovely little car. I have no idea what criticism you are talking about.
BTW MS3 is my daily driver.
Lovely color too.
Old 6th March 2012, 04:00   #639
Senior - BHPian

After landing back in US again, am on the lookout for a car. Now back with family, in typical American fashion, I'm very inclined towards SUVs. Checked out a few models (Santa Fe, Equinox, Terrain) etc - Compact SUVs. I'm not very keen on CR-V or RAV4. Now I have sort of narrowed down on the Subaru Forester. What do you guys think?
Old 6th March 2012, 04:30   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
After landing back in US again, am on the lookout for a car. Now back with family, in typical American fashion, I'm very inclined towards SUVs. Checked out a few models (Santa Fe, Equinox, Terrain) etc - Compact SUVs. I'm not very keen on CR-V or RAV4. Now I have sort of narrowed down on the Subaru Forester. What do you guys think?
Forester is a very capable SUV. I was considering one too. I dropped it on two counts - Outdated 4-Speed Transmission and Horrible acceleration. I also got bad feedback about FE. Acceleration is important for me when we merge on freeway and that is one thing where I can't compromise. I would have to settle for a turbocharged engine in XT trims and that would have pushed the price upwards. I haven't yet touched the resale value issue too with Forester.

So i would suggest you look at other options like Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-5 and CX-7, Rogue or a Tiguan. Santa Fe is due for upgrade soon, so i will skip it. You can consider Tucson and Outlander too which falls in forester's range.

You didn't mention you are looking at pre-owned or brand new ones, but i took it for granted that you are looking for a new one. Please provide your budget and your specific requirements. We may be able to help you better.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 05:28   #641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Forester is a very capable SUV. I was considering one too. I dropped it on two counts - Outdated 4-Speed Transmission and Horrible acceleration. I also got bad feedback about FE. Acceleration is important for me when we merge on freeway and that is one thing where I can't compromise. I would have to settle for a turbocharged engine in XT trims and that would have pushed the price upwards. I haven't yet touched the resale value issue too with Forester.

So i would suggest you look at other options like Kia Sorento, Mazda CX-5 and CX-7, Rogue or a Tiguan. Santa Fe is due for upgrade soon, so i will skip it. You can consider Tucson and Outlander too which falls in forester's range.

You didn't mention you are looking at pre-owned or brand new ones, but i took it for granted that you are looking for a new one. Please provide your budget and your specific requirements. We may be able to help you better.
I'm looking for used. I have the XT in mind as well.. 20k (at the most) is the target budget, and finding it hard to get good cars in that range.
Reasons why I would rule out CX - 7, Tiguan, Rogue etc is that AWD is optional on all of those, and pushes the prices upwards.
Old 6th March 2012, 05:47   #642

Have u considered nissan murano?
Old 6th March 2012, 18:39   #643
BHPian

XT --- WRX engine with a 4 speed auto, if only subaru mated it with a worthy enough gearbox.
You cant go wrong with a subaru if you are up north, but looking at your location(Plano, Tx) ,that aspect is not a concern. Xt is fun but so is RAV4 V6.
If you are considering XT safe to assume you are looking at a faster CUV.
Here is my take( was recently looking for small SUV)

XT- Tuned down WRX engine with a archaic 4 speed slush box

CX-7-a good , good car, not enough butch for my taste

RAV4 V6- ~265bhp (5 speed auto/FE at par with 4 pot motor) good handler for an SUV- downside- long in tooth, I hate the interiors.

Tuscon-good interior in a typical current hyundai fashion,bad rear visiblity, Vague handling and steering, OK 4 potter, no V6 option. new gen , may be difficult to find in used market.

CRV- have not test driven the current CRV, but no V6 option , engine remains the same in current gen.

KIA SPORTAGE/SORENTO- have driven sportage only, my thoughts, quite a lot of show, not to sure about the go part.

Murano- has a 3.5 V6 of nissan shared by many models.interiors are nice , I just hated the exterior. rooomy other wise.

ROGUE- is a hatchback( that too an econo ) not an SUV.

Tiguan- no v6 option, hence didnot drive it.

Domestics-
equinox- 2010 and above are not bad if you stick to 4 pot, did drive the 4 pot , not bad at all.

escape- current gen on its way out , drove it as a rental extensively, reminded me of tata sumo 1995.

Last edited by dr.abhijeet : 6th March 2012 at 18:41.
Old 6th March 2012, 19:26   #644
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to be in plano, only reason you will need AWD is if you go off roading. any specific reason for SUVs? the FE will kill you.

How big is your family?
Old 7th March 2012, 00:16   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I'm looking for used. I have the XT in mind as well.. 20k (at the most) is the target budget, and finding it hard to get good cars in that range.
Reasons why I would rule out CX - 7, Tiguan, Rogue etc is that AWD is optional on all of those, and pushes the prices upwards.
I am not sure why staying in Texas you need a AWD unless you will do plenty of off roading in which case you should get the Jeep Wrangler

If $20k is your budget and you are looking for used, try Murano, FX-35 and RX-350. You can consider X3 too. Finding good pieces in X3 is a challenge though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
ROGUE- is a hatchback( that too an econo ) not an SUV.
The hatchback you are referring to is Juke. Rogue is a soft-roader and is available with optional AWD and goes head on with Outlander Sport, Sportage and likes. Rogue though has a 4-cylinder only. Not a v6.

Most Viewed