Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 11:58   #616
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Q7 is way out of budget for him. I guess the oldest model (2007) costs twice as much as a 2005 X5.
Old 17th January 2012, 21:59   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Q7 is way out of budget for him. I guess the oldest model (2007) costs twice as much as a 2005 X5.
I am not sure where he is located but in and around 50 miles of sacramento he can get a 2009 Q7(v6) for $38k without discounts. A 2008 Q7 would be around $32k. A 2009 X5 is available for $35k-$37k without discounts. A 2008 X5 is around $31k-$32k mark too.

If he will be eager to buy any of those, he will get pretty good discounts on these as these don't sell as fast as others.

I am also not aware of his budget. But just stating that they are priced almost the same if he has budget on above lines.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th January 2012 at 22:00.
Old 1st February 2012, 08:16   #618
BHPian

I am selling my 2002 nissan altima 2.5 SL driven only 75k miles still in prime condition. New set of shoes for all four feet (Goodyear AssureFuel Max), Bose audio, ABS and side+front airbags.

Any bhpian in US looking for a purchase, let me know and we can discuss. write me on 'mail.nikhilmttal@gmail.com'...
Old 13th February 2012, 03:07   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
I am selling my 2002 nissan altima 2.5 SL driven only 75k miles still in prime condition. New set of shoes for all four feet (Goodyear AssureFuel Max), Bose audio, ABS and side+front airbags.

Any bhpian in US looking for a purchase, let me know and we can discuss. write me on 'mail.nikhilmttal@gmail.com'...
would have been godsend for me except for the fact that I am looking for one in Kentucky.
Old 13th February 2012, 05:06   #620
BHPian

All, please suggest options available to me as I will be staying short term (between 3 and 6 months).

Rentals - Insurance on the vehicle making it cost probihitive. I checked if the insurance can be bought separately, but as the title of the car remains with rental company, insurance companies cannot give insurance to me.

Buy a preowned car (old one) - Less investment, selling in throwaway price and/or disposing will still be ok.

Buy a preowned car (medium old) - Selling it back might be a hassle

Lease - Is there a short term lease option available?

Getting totally confused on risk (initial investment and questionable return) and reward (driving a better/newer car).
Old 13th February 2012, 21:02   #621
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion would be to buy a cheap reliable Jap(which has good resale) for daily commute, you can always rent a nice car for a weekend outing
Old 13th February 2012, 21:21   #622
Senior - BHPian

I have heard of a used car leasing option, which works out very cheap. it's a new innovative idea, has already been in practice with some off the book private leasers. you might have to research.

Genuine new leases are available at leasetrader.com, but usually for 9 months or more. e.g. you can get this honda fit for 19 months for 168 per month.

2010 Honda Fit Hatchback Lease - Lease a Honda Fit for $168.00 per month - Columbus, Ohio 43201 - 2010 Honda Fit Hatchback Lease - Honda Fit Lease - 2010 Honda Fit Lease Special - Lease Promotion on Honda Lease
Old 13th February 2012, 21:24   #623
BHPian

The only issue with lease will be the credit requirement. If that's not an issue, taking over a lease is the way to go if you want a no headache solution.
Old 15th February 2012, 06:40   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
My suggestion would be to buy a cheap reliable Jap(which has good resale) for daily commute, you can always rent a nice car for a weekend outing
Don't want to buy a cheap one, which I will hate to get in every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I have heard of a used car leasing option, which works out very cheap. it's a new innovative idea, has already been in practice with some off the book private leasers. you might have to research.

Genuine new leases are available at leasetrader.com, but usually for 9 months or more. e.g. you can get this honda fit for 19 months for 168 per month.

2010 Honda Fit Hatchback Lease - Lease a Honda Fit for $168.00 per month - Columbus, Ohio 43201 - 2010 Honda Fit Hatchback Lease - Honda Fit Lease - 2010 Honda Fit Lease Special - Lease Promotion on Honda Lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
The only issue with lease will be the credit requirement. If that's not an issue, taking over a lease is the way to go if you want a no headache solution.
Used car lease is indeed an interesting option. What happens if the lease ends before I leave? Or what happens if I leave before the lease ends?
Old 15th February 2012, 07:02   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Used car lease is indeed an interesting option. What happens if the lease ends before I leave? Or what happens if I leave before the lease ends?
I think you should be able to easily return the car and get out of it. The ones I had "heard" were probably 5-10 yr old cars with less than 200 per month rental, and they went from month to month.

But I don't have any contacts or even the person's contact who talked about it.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2012, 21:36   #626
BHPian

guys, how does a 98 Acura TL sounds, priced around $3000? Will the insurace be too much for this?
Old 20th February 2012, 07:02   #627
BHPian

Sorry for back to back posts.

Guys I checked out the carfax, car seems clean. Exterior condition is okay, shows the wear of all these years. Interior is okay, needs good cleaning. No rust anywhere except for the spare wheel well. Car drives well, front tires are a bit worn out.

Which place would you suggest for getting a inspection done??
Old 21st February 2012, 02:14   #628
Senior - BHPian

pep boys, firestone etc do these checks. If the seller is promising to get some work done, I would press for these checks after the work is done.
Old 21st February 2012, 03:17   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Sorry for back to back posts.

Guys I checked out the carfax, car seems clean. Exterior condition is okay, shows the wear of all these years. Interior is okay, needs good cleaning. No rust anywhere except for the spare wheel well. Car drives well, front tires are a bit worn out.

Which place would you suggest for getting a inspection done??
How many miles has the car put?
Also don't just rely on CARFAX, take it to PepBoys or CarMax for inspection. Also you can look for some local Muffler shops or mechanics near by they usually do the diagnostics for free or very minimal price.
Old 22nd February 2012, 01:49   #630
BHPian

Thanks for your advise guys. But I finally went ahead with a 1999 Camry - 4cyl - 130K miles - $3500. Got the carfax done and got the 40 point check up done at a garage. Would be going for registration today.

P.S. I have 3 carfax report credits, please PM me if anyone needs to get carfax done for a bargain!

Last edited by cyclops : 22nd February 2012 at 01:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks