Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2018, 05:16   #6196
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was/am confused about the bit about buying from new york. How can you get a car with a CAD Price and warranty from a US dealer?
The prices are lower in US than CAN, why would you do that?

Last edited by aah78 : 21st December 2018 at 18:11. Reason: CA -> CAN to prevent confusion with California ;)
Old 21st December 2018, 18:13   #6197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
new york.

He said North York, which is near/in Toronto, Canada.

I had the same reaction as you when it was first posted & had to go back & read again.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 23:51   #6198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
He said North York, which is near/in Toronto, Canada.

I had the same reaction as you when it was first posted & had to go back & read again.
You're right, Just read that again
My apologies.

I would still say go for the CPO Route
Old 27th December 2018, 05:51   #6199
BHPian

So here I am again after TDing a few cars. The new 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T Automatic is high on my list and trying to negotiate a good deal, until now all I've got is around 29.3k OTD. I thought year end would see more discounts but nothing great yet. Can this be negotiated down further towards the end of this week?

Also loved a 2015 BMW 328XI (tech, cold weather and premium packages) with 17k miles on the odo, with carmax extended warranty it comes to around 29.6k out of the door.

Any suggestions on which way to go?
Old 27th December 2018, 06:48   #6200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
Any suggestions on which way to go?
Whereabouts are you located?

If you want a BMW 3-Series & can do with lesser rear space than the Accord, you can get excellent end-of-season deals on the outgoing 2018 dealer in-stock models (The 2019 models are coming in around March).

My cousin just purchased (leased) a 2018 320i xDrive for about $7k off MSRP.
Old 27th December 2018, 06:58   #6201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Whereabouts are you located?

If you want a BMW 3-Series & can do with lesser rear space than the Accord, you can get excellent end-of-season deals on the outgoing 2018 dealer in-stock models (The 2019 models are coming in around March).

My cousin just purchased (leased) a 2018 320i xDrive for about $7k off MSRP.
I'm in South Jersey / Philly area. Commute is 30 miles a day. Several road trips potentially every other month so wondering if the mileage limitation on a lease would work out ok. This will be my only car, rear space is not a concern. I was also thinking briefly about leasing an Alfa Romeo Guilia but then thought not to go so crazy.

How much would the monthly payments come out to be for that 320i xDrive?

When I TDed the Accord, it felt really modern and practical, yet very quick with that 2.0T 10 Speed AT combo and sharp around the curves.
Old 27th December 2018, 19:42   #6202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
This will be my only car, rear space is not a concern. I was also thinking briefly about leasing an Alfa Romeo Guilia but then thought not to go so crazy.

How much would the monthly payments come out to be for that 320i xDrive?

Why not the Alfa Romeo Guilia? It's not a lemon, plus Alfa Romeo is still trying to make a mark in the US market so the discounts & leasing deals are fantastic!
This is the best time to buy one.
I came close to buying recently but needed more space.

His monthly payments I really don't know but you can easily figure out a ballpark using an online payment calculator.
Old 28th December 2018, 21:22   #6203
BHPian

So finalized a CPO 2016 BMW 328i xDrive with 24k miles on the odo. Got an ok deal after negotiations for 28.3k out of the door. Financing through DCU and should get delivery tomorrow.

The Honda dealers were not budging on the price for the Accord Sport and I was not in a position to play the waiting game.
Old 28th December 2018, 23:42   #6204
BHPian

If there are any Model3 reservation holders you have 3 more days to grab them before the $7.5k federal credit goes away. Tesla is doing 5 minute sign and drive. 2 of my friends picked up Model 3s this month.
Old 31st December 2018, 23:09   #6205
BHPian

Dear members,

I need some advise to manage a false rental damage case in my name by Enterprise USA.

I had rented a F150 truck with dents and damages from JFK airport. The representative walked me through those and noted those in his iPad. Subsequently, I drove about six hours and returned the truck at Boston airport with no accident or issues on the way.

At the Boston airport return, I was asked about those damages and I brought out the fact that those were present before and were noted at JFK. The truck was accepted and I was given okay to leave.

A week later, I get a call from Enterprise call center that the truck has damages and I may be liable to pay. I responded to the call saying that those damages were present and noted. To this reply, I am told that investigation will bring out the liability. I have also received a letter asking details of the incident and police report. I have not responded to that letter since there is nothing to report at my end.

My call to JFK rental center confirmed that they are aware of the damages and have them in the record.

I would request anyone to share some insights on what preventive actions should I take in this situation? Also, is it a good idea to decline a damaged or dented rental vehicle to avoid getting into such situations?

Thank you

Mods, if this is not the right thread, please move to the appropriate one.
Old 1st January 2019, 03:00   #6206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post

My call to JFK rental center confirmed that they are aware of the damages and have them in the record.

I would request anyone to share some insights on what preventive actions should I take in this situation?
Scan the letter you got and send it to the JFK rental center through email and ask for explanations. Call them and ask their email ID. Hopefully they will be able to get you out of this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Also, is it a good idea to decline a damaged or dented rental vehicle to avoid getting into such situations?
Of-course. It will always help at first place to avoid any unnecessary hassles like this. I politely refused once in Hertz rental at Houston Airport and told them that I will not take a damaged car. They obliged and gave me another new car.
Old 8th January 2019, 00:35   #6207
BHPian

Got a CPO VW Passat

Finally picked up a CPO VW Passat with pretty much all bells and whistles before Christmas. Its a late 2016 Model, I managed to get some discounts on the extended warranty. On CPO vehicles you do not have great leg room to negotiate. The depreciation numbers were on line.

The car history is clean with tires and brakes changed as per VW CPO mandates.

Here are some quick pics.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20190106_150440.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20181222_130827.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20181222_130818.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 8th January 2019 at 18:56. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
pratyush6 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 20:13   #6208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Scan the letter...

I politely refused once in Hertz rental at Houston Airport and told them that I will not take a damaged car..........
Thank you. It got resolved, finally. I received a mail, stating that they are not 100% sure if the damages were not pre-existing.

Also, it is a good suggestion that one should avoid damaged vehicle. It would save one from such hassles, dealing with unnecessary communication.

regards
Old 28th January 2019, 02:18   #6209
BHPian

Hello everyone in North America!

I've been searching for an appropriate thread to post this in, but I think this was my best bet

I made a video on Republic Day that I thought I would share.

Skip a minute or two in if you get bored by my talking

Annnnyway, Happy Republic Day everyone!

Did anyone else do anything automotive related/to their car for Republic Day?

Any Thala Ajith fans out there?
R. Ravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 14:34   #6210
BHPian

Another hatch exits the US: Toyota Yaris

The Yaris liftback has now been discontinued in the US with the nomenclature now reserved for the sedan. However Toyota may bring this back in 2020 in a newer version.

Source.
I remember considering this car and the Honda Fit for a lateral upgrade from my Neon (I ended up keeping her). Seemed like a no nonsense, practical, city car with reasonable prices in the used car market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks