Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2018, 02:38   #6106
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Just bought a car that's been my hero for years: a manual E46 M3! One previous (old) owner, 65,000 miles and in pristine condition. Put some new tires on (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'), new rod bearings, Beisan disc to protect the Vanos, new oil sender and thermostat for preventative maintenance, and a few small bits of interior trim. Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3850.jpeg  

Stigissimo is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 22:20   #6107
BHPian

I'm looking at buying a used car here in Connecticut. My maximum stretch is a budget of 20k, while 15k is ideal. I've fallen in love with the Mazdas and the Mazda 6 is a good pick and within my range. However, the winters are hard in the northeast and I'm sure to do some long drives over most weekends which strengthens the case for an AWD. This puts me in a dilemma, the compact SUV's are a strict no-no and I'm not very inclined to the Subarus. I'm now looking at the mid-size SUV's and Kia Sorento (2016 models and up) with the V6 AWD can be squeezed into my budget. But I'm really concerned about how the Sorento handles, the CX9 is the ideal fit but outside of my budget. What are my options, considering I need an AWD that handles really well? I've looked at several options but haven't found anything that excites.

Also, the BMW 5 series (428) is an option (2012-13 models) but the maintenance scared.

On another note, is there any website/ forum similar to our own team-bhp in the US?
Old 28th September 2018, 23:15   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
I'm looking at buying a used car here in Connecticut. My maximum stretch is a budget of 20k, while 15k is ideal. I've fallen in love with the Mazdas and the Mazda 6 is a good pick and within my range. However, the winters are hard in the northeast and I'm sure to do some long drives over most weekends which strengthens the case for an AWD. This puts me in a dilemma, the compact SUV's are a strict no-no and I'm not very inclined to the Subarus. I'm now looking at the mid-size SUV's and Kia Sorento (2016 models and up) with the V6 AWD can be squeezed into my budget. But I'm really concerned about how the Sorento handles, the CX9 is the ideal fit but outside of my budget. What are my options, considering I need an AWD that handles really well? I've looked at several options but haven't found anything that excites.

Also, the BMW 5 series (428) is an option (2012-13 models) but the maintenance scared.

On another note, is there any website/ forum similar to our own team-bhp in the US?
Buy the Mazda 6 and get a good set of winter tires. It will out-drive any AWD vehicle on all-seasons in snow.
mohit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 05:38   #6109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
Let us see how Nissan is going to handle my case and what explanation I am gonna get. I sincerely hope that Nissan USA will give proper response to me about this brake pad cost estimate.
Nissan customer care did call me for this issue and told me that the servicing cost is not in their control and I have to deal it with the authorized service center. Then I asked them to give it in written email for which he told that he will check with that service center again and call me back. I didn't receive a call from him but got a call from my service center asking me what is the issue? I explained them about all the issues and my email communications with them. They obliged at last and told that they will do brake pad replacement for $218 each for front and rear.

Now I felt satisfied with resolution provided, I am going ahead with them to change my pads.

I really want to know what would be the cost at a Toyota/Honda dealership for a Camry/Accord for brake pad replacement. Most of my friend's cars are not even crossed 20k miles till now. Our guys will always tell that Camry/Accord are cheap to maintain. So I am really curious.
hema4saran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 06:12   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
Just bought a car that's been my hero for years: a manual E46 M3! One previous (old) owner, 65,000 miles and in pristine condition. Put some new tires on (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S'), new rod bearings, Beisan disc to protect the Vanos, new oil sender and thermostat for preventative maintenance, and a few small bits of interior trim. Picture attached.
Congratulations, thats a fantastic car and the history (single owner, condition, miles) all indicate that this is a great great buy.

When you can, share more pics including the interiors. Looking forward.
Old 29th September 2018, 09:06   #6111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
I'm looking at buying a used car here in Connecticut. My maximum stretch is a budget of 20k, while 15k is ideal.

A 5 series with X-drive and all season tires will do well in the snow. But from my experience snow tires (roughly 600$ for the set) makes it much more safe and you can drive without skidding and sliding in winter. I've driven a RWD 3 and 7 series with Bridgestone Blizzak's all winter and had no issues.

A 535XI is a pretty good car. What did you hear about the maintenance that scared you? I mean people always say BMW's are expensive to maintain but if you take it to the wrong places any car is expensive in the US. I've owned several BMW's and they were pretty reliable and lots of fun to drive. You don't really have to lose an arm or leg to maintain them as they say.

For Bimmer's there are plenty of forums like bimmerfest, bimmerforum, bimmerpost, bmwcoders etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigissimo View Post
That's a beautiful car! It's a great buy at 65K miles and manual is the way to go. I owned one some months ago with 86K miles and it was super fun. What year is it? Did you get the differential mounts checked?
navin_bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2018, 01:56   #6112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I really want to know what would be the cost at a Toyota/Honda dealership for a Camry/Accord for brake pad replacement. Most of my friend's cars are not even crossed 20k miles till now. Our guys will always tell that Camry/Accord are cheap to maintain. So I am really curious.
Subaru Sti brake pad replacement labor alone is $150.
Subaru STi brake pad and rot replacement labor alone is $130.

This is with Owner supplied pads (and rotors). with just pad replacement they take the rotors out and turn them, making the labor bit more expensive.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 19:20   #6113
BHPian

Advice on buying a Car in Toronto?

Hey Guys, I've recently moved to Toronto and I am still settling to the new place. As winter approaches, a car becomes a necessity more than anything else.
My daily travel is around 30 kms one way. As a lot of people would know, Cars aren't very expensive in Toronto but the insurance is. Your insurance premium has one of its dependency on the kind of car you buy (how safe it is).

I do not intend to break my bank and go all out for a new shiny car, however, I would need something reliable for 2-3 years atleast, preferably 4-5. I prefer sedans to SUVs but I am open to smaller SUVs too.

With that in mind, what would you suggest? Here are some of the options I have on the table (All of my research is towards Volkswagen)

A. Volkswagen Jetta Trendline+ (2015, 52k on the odo) $14k + tax
B. Passat Comfortline 2015, 60k, $16k + tax
C. Passat Comfortline, 2013, 100k, $10k + tax

Key points to ponder:

(1)Price Vs. Reliability: The lower the price, the greater the mileage on the odo. Is there a time frame, say one would not suggest going beyond 2014 models or 100k on the odo.
(2)Lease Vs Buy: I can lease a new car at around $400 bucks a month for 4 years, but its never a great idea to lease if you intend to keep the car for long. So, its either buy on cash or a short term finance for me.
(3)Insurance Premium: Volkswagens generally have lower premiums among most cars. It also has an understated style, which I very much prefer.
(4)Service Costs: I have absolutely no idea how much a service costs for most brands in Toronto. So, need some help here.
(5)Should be able to accommodate my family: I have 2 extremely active toddlers at home, so, 2 car seats would be almost permanently fixed to the back seat.
(6)Safety: Paramount concern, specially while driving in winter (and sometimes on a bit of snow), the car should be able to handle well.

Like with my first purchase, I am again looking to the community for help and guidance. I am open to most brands, but would prefer a VW. I would like it to be priced around 15k.

PS. Mods, please feel free to move it to a suitable thread or place if need be.
Old 5th October 2018, 19:56   #6114
BANNED

Re: Advice on buying a Car in Toronto?

Not experienced in toronto per se, but driving in Canada in winter you can expect driving in Snowy conditions, so if you can up your budget to get an AWD vehicle it would be a much more usable and safe car. A small SUV would be most suitable in this aspect or some full size sedans like the Fusion get AWD as well, so look for them if possible.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 21:30   #6115
Senior - BHPian

Since safety is an important factor, why are you not considering AWD equipped cars such as Subaru?
Old 5th October 2018, 21:47   #6116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
As a lot of people would know, Cars aren't very expensive in Toronto but the insurance is. Your insurance premium has one of its dependency on the kind of car you buy (how safe it is)

You should go through these threads first and probably merge this thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...h-america.html (Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...rship-usa.html (Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA)

now, to your query, the Postal code of your residence (Address) will make a difference and so will be the time you are holding your licence and type. I don't know if you already have one or plan to get, you can actually appear for a Permanent Road Test directly if you have an Indian DL. But mostly drivers fails and they have to get only Learners DL that increases the premium. Cost/ type of the Car does matter but not so much that you should pick a VW. To be safe, better stay away from VW Group, they have terrible depreciation and people are mostly worried about the repairs. Your Best bet will be an Old Corolla, to begin with. With snow tyres, it should be Ok for Toronto. Of course, there will be certain days when everything stops, so will Corolla. That should be your starting car in my opinion or if you can find a good Camry that will be even better. If you are specifically looking for SUV, try to find old RAV4, if you get lucky you might find a 6 cylinder from 2012/13 at around your budget or little more. But my suggestion will be to stick with Toyota or some other Japanese.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:06   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You should go through these threads first and probably merge this thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...h-america.html (Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...rship-usa.html (Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA)

But mostly drivers fails and they have to get only Learners DL that increases the premium. Cost/ type of the Car does matter but not so much that you should pick a VW.
Your Best bet will be an Old Corolla, to begin with.
But my suggestion will be to stick with Toyota or some other Japanese.
Thanks for your suggestions.

1. I have gotten a G2 right now. I'd get a certification, which will add 3 years to my experience. Did not have the DL Extract so couldn't appear for the full G.
2. As for the depreciation, precisely why a pre-certified VW around 12-14k, plus one can get extended warranty for 2 yrs/40k kms.
3. I'd look at a Corolla and Camry, but either the price is significantly high or the odo is high as compared to the VW models. I'd still do some research on it.
Old 5th October 2018, 22:13   #6118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
2. As for the depreciation, precisely why a pre-certified VW around 12-14k, plus one can get extended warranty for 2 yrs/40k kms.
There is a reason why you are getting VW cheaper despite most of them were expensive or at same prices as compared to Toyota when these were new

If you or your spouse are going to a University- full or part time, you can get considerable rebates from insurance. There is an India business chamber or something, a membership in something like this can also help in reduction on insurance premium. Don’t forget the RAV4, though it’s more girlish, it’s one good small SUV.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:45   #6119
Senior - BHPian

As all ready mentioned few things which effects your insurance premium;

1. Duration of license held, in your case it's G2 so they won't let you drive outside of the city nor at night. If you can get a certificate from India(DLA) where you held a license for more then 5yrs then you will be able to apply for G without much waiting. You can also mention your Indian DL experience when getting insurance, it helps on premium.

2. Your postal code effects the premium, inclosed or public parking.

3. Engine size. Bigger the engine above 2L and the premium goes up.

4. Make and model .e.g. Range Rover, M5

Apart from the above I prefer FWD or AWD cars in Canada and definitely with winter tyres(not all weather tyres). Had a RWD bimmer and one fine night on black ice was scary enough for me to switch over to X5.

With the budget you have, you have a wide variety of cars available to you. Try the European and Japanese cars, they have so many models which are unheard/unavailable out here. You can even get a car from USA if something you want is not available there but it's a bit tricky and cumbersome to get it through Ontario Border.

Lot of Indians love the Cammry's and Honda's in Canada for their reliability and low maintenance cost.
Randhawa is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 22:47   #6120
BHPian

From the options you have, I would pick the 2015 Passat. Make sure you get winter tyres or at least relatively new all seasons. Just be careful when driving in snow. The cars do slip and slide around a bit. As long as you are gentle on the throttle and the brake, you should be fine.

As far as leasing is concerned, I've leased an Acura ILX for about 165 bi-weekly including taxes for a 0 down 4 year lease. PM me if you want me to connect you with the Acura dealer who helped me with this deal. With the 2019 ILX around the corner, there might be good deals on the 2018 model For insurance, I would suggest you shop around. Your insurance also depends on where you live. If you're in Mississauga or Brampton then your insurance will be higher than places like Oakville. You should be prepared to pay about 3-4k in insurance.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks