Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2018, 07:36   #6031

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Thanks much Amitoj, hema4saran, vineeth47 and chevelle.

I will mostly go the CPO route and get a 2015 or 2016 model. So far I have test driven Murano, Rogue, 2018 CRV, Rav4-hybrid, VW Tiguan, CX5 and hyundai tucson. Am a single guy, so looking for a compact AWD SUV or good AWD cars as well. But again something that is fun to drive is my main criteria. Some of these SUV's, I felt lacked a bit in power, so went ahead and test drove highlander, 4Runner and VW Touareg as well, to get a feel of a proper SUV. Liked the highlander amongst these 3. Loved the STI as well in AWD cars, and am kind of smitten by it as well.

In crossover and compact SUV's, driving wise I liked Murano, new CRV and CX5. Google threw a slew of transmission and CVT issues for Nissan, which concerned me a bit, but then again pretty much every manufacturer has some negative stuff out there on the web. Glad to know, you guys had good experience with Nissan, which will help me in my decision making process.

Am yet to test drive Forrester as well. Subaru's are seen everywhere here in CO. People actually call it the CO state car, which speaks a lot about its reputation.
Old 19th March 2018, 11:57   #6032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Disclaimer : Long Post. Please bear with me.

TL; DR : Just leased a 2018 Infiniti QX60 AWD (Premium + Premium Plus) after selling 2015 Murano.
Congratulation Chevelle and thanks for posting an exhaustive comparison study.

I am not surprised by your choice, I have seen we invariable select cars from same Manufacturer (Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura) because we usually like a makers design language and only realize it when we have to change and end up choosing a similar car
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 19:47   #6033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I have seen we invariable select cars from same Manufacturer (Nissan/Infinity, Honda/Acura) because we usually like a makers design language and only realize it when we have to change and end up choosing a similar car
Hmmm. That makes sense, and also explains why I am almost certain to pick up a Challenger when the time comes to get rid of the Charger. Speaking of Charger, I came across this fabulous Charger in Dubai!

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-charger-dubai.jpg
Old 20th March 2018, 20:22   #6034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Hmmm. That makes sense, and also explains why I am almost certain to pick up a Challenger when the time comes to get rid of the Charger. ..
The obvious next purchase for you should be the Demon. Better grab one before they're all gone forever. Dodge might even have some preferential offers for existing owners.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 20:33   #6035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The obvious next purchase for you should be the Demon. Better grab one before they're all gone forever. Dodge might even have some preferential offers for existing owners.
Haha. Good one, but no. Because:
A. I dont have $85K. Even if I did, I don't think I would spend that much on a car. There are more fun cars to be had for much less.
B. It comes with automatic transmission only.
C. See A again.
Old 9th April 2018, 03:56   #6036
BHPian

Bought my first car. 2017 Honda CR-V EX AWD. Got it via FB market place from a private seller. Car was on lien title with BoA. I got loan from DCU and made the payment to seller. We both went to nearby BoA branch to make sure he is closing the loan. Got the car on a temporary registration from one of his friends dealership. I had to pay only tax to the dealership. Only risk was the waiting until lien release from BoA and seller hand it over to me. I was fortunate enough to get it in 10 days. Went to nearby DMV for license plates. I was little skeptical as all documents were hand written and expected some cross questioning from DMV. Nothing was asked except car color and lien release document along with the documents which the dealership give me . So far so good and liking the car.
Old 13th April 2018, 01:51   #6037
Senior - BHPian

Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 as a loaner while my car is at the service center for a couple of recalls (alternator and timing belt)
I feel like I am driving the car from the second floor!
But other than that, the engine is peppy and the vehicle doesn't feel heavy at all. I miss the engine growl though. Wish they had given me a Trackhawk
Also, the handling is not as floaty as I would expect from an SUV but I should let the passengers make that decision.
I like the new UConnect console too. It is more responsive and modern as well. Have to try out the navigation though.
Maybe I will pen down more about the Jeep later. I have driven it for a few miles only.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 20:40   #6038
BHPian

New Genesis G70 reviews are coming out and it seems to be very very good. Value alternative to the Germans and Japanese. I am very impressed.

"On the road, the G70 is the sort of rock-solid, perfectly composed sport sedan once produced only by the Bavarian MotorWorks. While the Genesis folks studiously avoided any mention of the Kia Stinger, the two cars share chassis and engine components – but the similarity ends there. The Stinger is longer, softer, and depending on trim levels, from 160-475 lb heavier.

Source:"https://www.autotrader.ca/expert/201...9-genesis-g70/

However resale might not be its strong point but that should work for me as I typically buy lease-return CPOs. I am considering either this or the Kia Stinger 3.3T as my next car in a few years
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 19:28   #6039
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Wrangler Nearly Outsells Camry

This was a surprising bit of news! Reading the article, I was even more surprised to learn that this is not because Jeep Wrangler has two models on sale right now. It is because they are finally able to meet the demand for these things!
Sedanocalypse? Where?
Old 5th May 2018, 00:50   #6040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Bought my first car. 2017 Honda CR-V EX AWD. Got it via FB market place from a private seller. Car was on lien title with BoA. I got loan from DCU and made the payment to seller. We both went to nearby BoA branch to make sure he is closing the loan. Got the car on a temporary registration from one of his friends dealership. I had to pay only tax to the dealership. Only risk was the waiting until lien release from BoA and seller hand it over to me. I was fortunate enough to get it in 10 days. Went to nearby DMV for license plates. I was little skeptical as all documents were hand written and expected some cross questioning from DMV. Nothing was asked except car color and lien release document along with the documents which the dealership give me . So far so good and liking the car.
Congrats! Hope you saved a lot.

I bought a 2001 BMW 740IL in LA and drove it back to Redmond, WA last week. It was a one owner car and beautifully kept and dealer maintained. Here are some pics I took on the way.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195543-large.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195606-medium.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195617-medium.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195637-medium.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195658-medium.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180428_195721-medium.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 5th May 2018 at 01:00. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
navin_bhp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th May 2018, 18:05   #6041
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I bought a 2001 BMW 740IL in LA and drove it back to Redmond, WA last week. It was a one owner car and beautifully kept and dealer maintained.
That's a beautiful car! The E38 was the last classic 7-Series.
My father-in-law bought a used 2001 750iL with the V12, for a few years.
What a beautiful car to drive! I used to drive it all over the place - rain, snow, come what may.

Was a pain to maintain & we were pretty ignorant back then - always went to the dealer for small stuff.
I always wanted to buy it off him but no way I could afford it then .
Old 8th May 2018, 04:50   #6042
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Congrats! Hope you saved a lot.

I bought a 2001 BMW 740IL in LA and drove it back to Redmond, WA last week. It was a one owner car and beautifully kept and dealer maintained. Here are some pics I took on the way.

Attachment 1758161
Congrats on the awesome buy! It's probably the best looking of the 7 series, IMHO. This is the car which first drew me to BMW as a child.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:02   #6043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
That's a beautiful car! The E38 was the last classic 7-Series.
My father-in-law bought a used 2001 750iL with the V12, for a few years.
What a beautiful car to drive! I used to drive it all over the place - rain, snow, come what may.

Was a pain to maintain & we were pretty ignorant back then - always went to the dealer for small stuff.
I always wanted to buy it off him but no way I could afford it then .
I've owned E38's , E65 and F02 and among all the 7's I love the E38 most (expecially the shorty 740I M-sport). It just drives so nice and makes you smile at every corner. A 2001 750IL is something I always look out for. These cars are so rare to come by in good condition. I had a 2000 750IL that was rear ended and totaled couple years ago when I was in chicago. I never thought I would buy a green color car in my life but when I saw the 750IL I just had to get it. I've been looking for a low mileage 2001 750IL since then and I'm yet to find one in good condition. Either they want 10K for it or the car is abused. I actually got lucky and bought a 99 750IL couple months ago but ended up selling it to make room for this one. I'm still hunting for a Silver 2001 740i with m-sport with under 100K miles.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20150630_202459440-large.jpg
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20150717_220104130-large.jpg
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20150717_220119739-large.jpg
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20150718_112515886-large.jpg

This is my 740I which I regret selling.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_20160327_130957157_hdr-large.jpg

E65 - Very different compared to the E38 but loved the heated/cooled seats on this car.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-navi6839-large.jpg
Current F02

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20180505_175149-large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Congrats on the awesome buy! It's probably the best looking of the 7 series, IMHO. This is the car which first drew me to BMW as a child.
Thanks! The E46 M3 was the car that made me a BMW fan. It is such a head turner.
navin_bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 23:43   #6044
BHPian

Hello friends, I am preparing for my first new car (or rather, a minivan) purchase in the US. I would like to get your expert advise on what a first time buyer need to be careful about, especially regarding any possible dealer level scams or other unnecessary fees or markups that they may add to the price.

I have almost zeroed in on the 2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L. So if you have any specific advise or feedback on this particular model, that would be helpful too.

I already have the following questions in mind

- Do we need to apply any paint protection coatings or under body coatings for new cars in the US?
- I understand that destination fees are always added to the price and are mostly non-negotiable. Is there any other fees that I should expect?
- What would be the best interest rate that I should expect for a 700+ credit score?

Thank you.
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:57   #6045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
I have almost zeroed in on the 2018 Honda Odyssey EX-L. So if you have any specific advise or feedback on this particular model, that would be helpful too.

- Do we need to apply any paint protection coatings or under body coatings for new cars in the US?
- I understand that destination fees are always added to the price and are mostly non-negotiable. Is there any other fees that I should expect?
- What would be the best interest rate that I should expect for a 700+ credit score?

Thank you.
I generally hear only great feedback from fellow Odyssey owners, but check out the seat recall. That would have me concerned. If there is no convincing fix for it yet, I would get something else (Sienna or Caravan).

Having said that:
1. I don't buy any paint / under-body coating but I don't live in a snow belt. In a snow state I would definitely do it. Looks like you are in L.A, I would skip it. I also usually skip gap insurance and tire & wheel protection (though this time with VW I did take it, and wish I'd saved that money since I'm gonna get aftermarket wheels anyway).
2. Destination fees are definitely negotiable though they say its not. Most of my negotiations go like this: They quote price is X1, tax is X2, fees are X3 = total of say X. I negotiate on that total out-the-door price and quote what X number would have me sign that day (and actually commit to it, not "let me think about it" etc. Usually that works. I don't get into this conversation until I am actually ready to buy (if I am unsure I don't get into talking numbers at all, instead I say let me just test drive it).
3. When I moved from India I had to pay 9% initially (yeah, wow) but after a year when my credit score showed up (about 700 too), it was 4%. Now I am paying something closer to 3%. Don't expect the in-house agents at the dealers to cough up the best rates (though sometimes they do), instead I would take the best rate they offer, and refinance it outside a few months later.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 22nd May 2018 at 02:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks