Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2018, 02:32   #6001
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Just put money down for a 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige. Bought it off the lot for 10% discount on MSRP (thanks to ariendj for providing a ballpark discount figure).

Had test driven the XC60 T6, Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5 and Audi SQ5 pretty much back to back last weekend. I anyways have to buy a performance car later this year/early next year so didn't opt for the SQ5. The final choice was between XC60 T6 Inscription and Q5 Prestige. Both were completely redesigned models for 2018. Both were neck to neck in terms of options and both were close to 54k in terms of pricing. The T6 had more power but the Q5 was smoother to drive. Looks are subjective but I preferred the looks of XC60 slightly more. I opted for the Q5 purely because of the slightly better driving dynamics. Will take delivery later this week!

Last edited by Cesc : 7th March 2018 at 02:34.
Cesc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 02:56   #6002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Just put money down for a 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige. Bought it off the lot for 10% discount on MSRP (thanks to ariendj for providing a ballpark discount figure).
I opted for the Q5 purely because of the slightly better driving dynamics. Will take delivery later this week!
Congrats! Im glad I could help you in some way.
Upload the pics once you get it. What extra packages did you add?
Old 7th March 2018, 03:02   #6003
BHPian

Thanks ariendj. I got the dark blue color (moonlight blue) with the Atlas beige interiors. The Prestige had pretty much everything so I only needed to get adaptive cruise control (Driver Assistance Package) and cold weather package. The car they had on the lot also had the Audi rings and some rear trunk privacy cover. Silly options for $500 more but was better than waiting for a freshly ordered car so just took those.

Snowstorm tomorrow so I will most likely take delivery on Thursday. This being my first car I also have to arrange insurance and financing - putting half down and financing the rest. Will use today and tomorrow for those things.
Old 7th March 2018, 04:22   #6004
BHPian

I am having an issue with my 2015 Accord Sport. When I drive sedately in this range 30-65 miles/hr I hear engine noise as if the timing belt is loose. I had the oil service, filter change, battery module recall fix and transmission software update over the weekend at Battison Honda in Oklahoma City. I see this issue after that. Did anyone else face the issue? I am planning to go to the dealer this weekend to check. please let me know your inputs.
Old 7th March 2018, 06:12   #6005
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see Bhpians around, I stay in Philadelphia. We all can catch up sometime since we all live closeby. I drive a 2017 BMW 330i with Msport suspension and staggered setup.

@Cesc: I see your location as Philly too, let's catch up sometime. Congrats on your Q5
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 21:30   #6006
BHPian

Thanks fusionbang. We should definitely do that. Would love to check out your drive!
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 22:31   #6007
BHPian

A bit of help needed - can someone please provide recent interest rate figures for an auto loan? I am being offered a 36 month loan from dealer for 25k at 3.69% and wanted to check if that's good or bad. I think its on the higher side but wanted to check before I push back. Will a shorter term lower rates? Ideally it should but each market has its nuances. I can do 12 months if it helps lower my rate significantly.
Old 8th March 2018, 22:46   #6008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A bit of help needed - can someone please provide recent interest rate figures for an auto loan? I am being offered a 36 month loan from dealer for 25k at 3.69% and wanted to check if that's good or bad.
How much does that come to in monthly payments?
DCU is offering loans as low as 2.49% (terms and conditions apply )
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 22:53   #6009
BHPian

Quote:
A bit of help needed - can someone please provide recent interest rate figures for an auto loan? I am being offered a 36 month loan from dealer for 25k at 3.69% and wanted to check if that's good or bad.
3.69% is little bit on the higher side. But again it all depends on your credit score. Most of my friends got at 2.49% in DCU with the beginners credit score. Also many dealers will back out of the deal and increase the quote if you say that you will get your loan sourced outside. Their version is that the manufacturer rebate will be given only if you get the loan through their financial system. Anyways you can easily refinance your car loan after 6 months for lower rate.

Also DCU will give another 0.5% off in interest rate when you setup direct salary deposit with their checking account. I would say go with the dealer quote now and refinance later as 1% will not make much difference in payments for 6 months.

Last edited by hema4saran : 8th March 2018 at 22:54.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 23:58   #6010
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply amitoj and Hemakumar!

Good question in terms of monthly payments - I haven't checked that with the dealer.

I am taking out the loan purely to improve my credit score and not because I need it. With only credit card trades there is only so far that your score will go to. So i am interested in taking out a short term loan with as little finance cost as possible. The idea is to have a much better score when I apply for a mortgage 6-8 months later.

I presume the interest component is front loaded so there is no benefit to taking a 12 month loan and paying it off after 6 months?

If the dealer wants to back out of the deal because I am sourcing my loan outside - they can feel free to do that. I dont need the car immediately and there are plenty other places to get the car from!
Old 9th March 2018, 19:31   #6011
BHPian

I applied at DCU and got 2.99%. Shot it to the dealer and the dealer has matched that. However the monthly repayment amount that DCU quoted on a 20k loan for 12 months is 1,707 a month. When I use any car loan calculator on Google then the amount comes out to be 1,694. It seems that DCU is quoting an interest rate of 2.99% but my monthly payment is set at 3.99%. I found that weird - or do car loan companies tack on other charges?
Old 13th March 2018, 00:26   #6012
BHPian

For the benefit of others - I checked and found car loan finance charges are not front loaded. So you can take a loan for longer term even if you intend to pay it off quickly.

I did pick up my Q5 this morning. Everything worked out well. Loan interest rate was further dropped to 2.6% and the payment amount lined up perfectly. Got the 5 year prepaid maintenance and tire/rim/windshield package. Didnt get the extended warranty because it was too expensive at ~4k and I anyways don't plan to keep the car for over 5 years. Pictures coming soon!
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 02:32   #6013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did pick up my Q5 this morning. ... Pictures coming soon!
Congrats! The Q5 is a seriously fun car, I drove one to L.A. Its also really comfortable.

Unrelated - I picked up a GTI, one of the cars I've always wanted. Love it, but the 6 year warranty is the straw that pushed me over the edge. I hope more EU brands follow suit, put their money where their mouth is when it comes to quality, and offer 6 year warranties.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 02:45   #6014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did pick up my Q5 this morning. Everything worked out well.
Congratulations!
Waiting for the pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

Unrelated - I picked up a GTI, one of the cars I've always wanted.
Congratulations to you too! It's a brand new GTI, I guess? VW is offering some really mouth watering deals these days.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 02:57   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations to you too! It's a brand new GTI, I guess? VW is offering some really mouth watering deals these days.
It is, and thank you! I didn't get an amazing deal or anything but not terrible either. The beemer was scheduled for a warranty refresh, and this time we decided to get something with 4 doors, was looking at options for small cars and the 6 year warranty clinched it for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks