Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2011, 02:25   #586
BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Ask her to check the Toyota Venza too - Its more of a wagon but is decently equipped and has a nice interior. A friend just got it over the RAV4 that she originally wanted.

She should be able to get the top of the line V6 AWD in her budget.

Last edited by mohit : 23rd November 2011 at 02:27.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 03:48   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
Thanks Chevelle. The infinity is a good idea. I didn't think of that. I shall let you guys know what choice was made in the end.
Since you have suggested her Outlander Sport, you should read this long term update. They also have test drove it.

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport Long Term Update 2 - Motor Trend

just what i dreaded. It has fake leather, not practical and looks not so good imo in a SUV. And it's performance is not good since it has just 148 hp and a CVT. If she is looking at v6 performance, she needs to look elsewhere. I haven't even brought up the resale value as it is gonna be quite bad for a mitsubishi.

Just thought you should know.
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:02   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Chevelle. The infinity is a good idea. I didn't think of that. I shall let you guys know what choice was made in the end.
How bout considering Lexus 350 or 400h. You can easily find a used one for around 30-35k. Price could go lower for a 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
just what i dreaded. It has fake leather, not practical and looks not so good imo in a SUV. And it's performance is not good since it has just 148 hp and a CVT. If she is looking at v6 performance, she needs to look elsewhere. I haven't even brought up the resale value as it is gonna be quite bad for a mitsubishi.
Yes very true chevelle, its best to stay away from Mitsu
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:27   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
How bout considering Lexus 350 or 400h. You can easily find a used one for around 30-35k. Price could go lower for a 2WD.

Yes very true chevelle, its best to stay away from Mitsu
If she is happy or ok with a 1 or 2 year old pre-owned car, it will open a lot of luxurious options like Infiniti FX35, Lexus RX350, BMW X3/X5, Acura RDX/MDX. All her criteria would be fulfilled easily - power, AWD/4WD, excellent interior and exterior and will still be holding on to value when she sells it after 5-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Ask her to check the Toyota Venza too - Its more of a wagon but is decently equipped and has a nice interior. A friend just got it over the RAV4 that she originally wanted.

She should be able to get the top of the line V6 AWD in her budget.
The problem with Venza is that it is very very similar to drive as RAV4. Interior is same as RAV4 too. It has same v6 as RAV4 but is a little slow since its a little heavier and boring to drive. But size wise, its a bit bigger than compact xover that the lady is looking for. Venza is almost the same size as Highlander or Murano.

Last edited by chevelle : 23rd November 2011 at 04:32.
Old 23rd November 2011, 05:00   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
If she is happy or ok with a 1 or 2 year old pre-owned car, it will open a lot of luxurious options like Infiniti FX35, Lexus RX350, BMW X3/X5, Acura RDX/MDX. All her criteria would be fulfilled easily - power, AWD/4WD, excellent interior and exterior and will still be holding on to value when she sells it after 5-6 years.
The problem with Venza is that it is very very similar to drive as RAV4. Interior is same as RAV4 too. It has same v6 as RAV4 but is a little slow since its a little heavier and boring to drive. But size wise, its a bit bigger than compact xover that the lady is looking for. Venza is almost the same size as Highlander or Murano.
Did I miss reading that she was looking for a new car?

I somehow liked the Venza for its look, and would suit a lady driver
Old 23rd November 2011, 05:07   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Did I miss reading that she was looking for a new car?

I somehow liked the Venza for its look, and would suit a lady driver
She prefers a new one. That is why limited number of recommendation.

She rejected RAV4 on what you just stated above
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:01   #592
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. After reading all the suggestions, I am also quite convinced that something like a used Infinity EX-35 or one of the Lexus RX's or even the BMW X3 would be a really good option for her.

I'll tell her what the guys at team-bhp think, but in the end I guess she's going to have the decide whether its a new Subaru (or something similar) or a used luxury crossover. I'll try my best to convince her that the team-bhp way is probably the better way to go...

The only drawback that I can see is the maintenance cost of the Infinity's, Lexus's and BMW's which I'm sure is much higher compared to Subaru's and Mitsubishi's. So, I guess I'll need to get a rough figure of how much the maintenance for these vehicles is going to cost.

@kraft.wagen - Yeah the venza is out unfortunately. No doubt it's an excellent car, but it is much too big for her.

Last edited by majorpayne : 23rd November 2011 at 20:13.
Old 23rd November 2011, 20:29   #593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only drawback that I can see is the maintenance cost of the Infinity's, Lexus's and BMW's which I'm sure is much higher compared to Subaru's and Mitsubishi's.
If maintenance is an issue then Lexus & Infiniti will be cheaper to maintain than the BMW - unless she finds a good independent mechaninc.

Can't go wrong with the Subaru though - they last forever with regular maintenance.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 23:46   #594
BHPian

Did anyone mention Nissan Rogue? I know that Murano is too big but a rogue is like a mini Murano. Should be as big as the EX35. She'll have to do without the V6 or AWD though.
Old 25th November 2011, 02:49   #595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Did anyone mention Nissan Rogue? I know that Murano is too big but a rogue is like a mini Murano. Should be as big as the EX35. She'll have to do without the V6 or AWD though.
I used to drive a Rogue back in 08 when it was launched. Good little car. Looks good too. Also had AWD variant back then. Economical to own. However it has a CVT and performance wise it wasn't exciting. High on practicality though.
Old 25th November 2011, 03:01   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah! I guess this one slipped our minds. Thanks for the suggestion mohit
Old 25th November 2011, 08:24   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah! I guess this one slipped our minds. Thanks for the suggestion mohit
Again typing based on what I saw in the road today - Why not a Kia Sportage (2L Turbo AWD) or the Hyundai Tucson? They come with a super warranty and excellent pricing down south.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2011, 06:31   #598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why not a Kia Sportage (2L Turbo AWD) or the Hyundai Tucson?.
That's a very good suggestion. The newer Hyundai & Kia models are very good indeed - great competition to the CR-V, RAV4, etc.
Old 9th December 2011, 13:31   #599
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

My Jiju (based in California) is stuck between a 5 series and an X5. Please advise on the better car between the two:

1. Which engine option makes the most sense (shouldn't be puny either)?

2. Has to be AT only

3. Any improvements expected in the near future, that he should wait for?

4. Any diesels expected in the near future in either car?

5. While its narrowed down to these two, if there is another exceptional car in the price range, do recommend.

Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 15:04   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

My Jiju (based in California) is stuck between a 5 series and an X5. Please advise on the better car between the two:

1. Which engine option makes the most sense (shouldn't be puny either)?

2. Has to be AT only

3. Any improvements expected in the near future, that he should wait for?

4. Any diesels expected in the near future in either car?

5. While its narrowed down to these two, if there is another exceptional car in the price range, do recommend.

Thanks
Both these cars have their own place. It depends on what your Jiju likes-- an suv or a sedan. I would personally go for the 5er as i am not an suv guy.
so to answer your questions.
1. 535 or x5 35i would make the most sense according to me. Its not a gas guzzler yet the twin turbo would never let you feel short of power. I have the same engine in my 335 so i know this first hand.
3. 5er just came out and the x5 went through its mid cycle upgrades in 2010, so there is no possibility of any changes coming in any of these models (except for the minor changes that happen every year).
4.x5 already has a diesel. its 3 litre inline turbo. I had the opportunity to test out that engine in a 3er and it seemed amazing. Having said that, I would not recommend going for a diesel in the US-- diesel is more expensive than gas-- you would be paying approx 8k premium for diesel x5-- and it also suffers in resale value.
5. Other cars in the same price range might be merc E,lexus GS, jag xf and audi a6.

Lexus is also a great option, it just came out with the new gs.
Personally i would choose either an e class or the 5er.
It all comes down to whethr he likes an suv or a sedan..
Mike89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks