Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2018, 02:53   #5971
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi All, I am decided to get current gen CR-V. I started with a plan to get Civic or Corolla. After seeing all the bigger vehicles and utility of SUVs decided to get CR-V. Looking for a used one. According to what i have seen so far, its a hot cake in used car market. I am finding it difficult to get a good deal.
Anyone used Facebook Marketplace to purchase cars?
There were good deals until edmunds started posting ads. Individual owners post are very rare. What are the other options where i can look for cars form individuals?
Reason for looking form individuals are, it will be competitively priced and a 2017 model will have lesser defects than an older one. All dealers are quoting nearly same price as a brand new one.
Old 12th January 2018, 03:06   #5972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Hi All, I am decided to get current gen CR-V. I started with a plan to get Civic or Corolla. After seeing all the bigger vehicles and utility of SUVs decided to get CR-V. Looking for a used one. According to what i have seen so far, its a hot cake in used car market. I am finding it difficult to get a good deal.
There were good deals until edmunds started posting ads. Individual owners post are very rare. What are the other options where i can look for cars form individuals?
Reason for looking form individuals are, it will be competitively priced and a 2017 model will have lesser defects than an older one. All dealers are quoting nearly same price as a brand new one.
Try Carmax also. But yes, it seems normal that you are getting better prices on new cars than old cars. That is because there is more money on offer for new cars than used cars. On another note, 2017 MY unsold cars in 2018 will be available with significant discounts.

I have seen a lot of dicey ad in Facebook marketplace ads.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 04:05   #5973
BHPian

Quote:
You may want to try Craigslist. I have purchased five cars so far from buyers, who posted on craigslist and all have been excellent purchases. Few pointers to keep in mind:
1. Look for individual sellers only. Craigslist has that option.
2. Look for ads with pictures. Avoid cars which do not have registration tag (number plate) on them. Most likely, they are being sold by dealers or resellers.
3. Look for ads which have phone number of the seller. Email scams are too common.
4. Get details from the seller on the service history. People who take care of their cars know about major changes such as tires, battery, timing belt etc.
5. Lastly, if you like the car, check it during the daylight and see if there is any paint inconsistency or accident spot and clarify your doubts with a Carfax report. I recently helped someone pick up a car and we stopped at the last moment, since the carfax gave us 160K miles on odo and seller showed us 77K. We let go of the deal. Carfax has unlimited check plan if you need to see multiple cars in a short span.

Hope that helps.
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 09:58   #5974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the advantage of buying a car from a Honda dealer is relative peace of mind regarding the condition of the car.

Also, since you're looking at 2017 models, they'll be under warranty and you can also get Extended Warranty. For cars <4 years, I'd prefer buying a dealer rather than from individuals.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 00:02   #5975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I think you cannot get android auto/ carplay on the acura at all.
But In Honda pilot on the higher trims it is available - which does not make any sense.
Actually, strangely Honda always provides latest features on Honda instead of Acura. Need example?

- That side camera lane watch thing, never offered on Acura
- Split screen ICE, first on an Honda accord then in Acura
- Push Button start, first on Honda
- DI V6 first on Honda
- LED headlights Honda Accord/ FX clarity
- Android Auto / Apple car play First on Honda

I am guessing they do real world testing with Honda, iron out chinks and then add to Acura but who knows.
Old 13th January 2018, 04:10   #5976
BHPian

Quote:
CRV is one of the safest options. But you will find it hard to get a 2017 CRV in the used car market from a private seller. Look out for our guys who are going for-good due to unforeseen circumstances like Visa rejections, etc. I personally know many peoples who sold their cars for loss to dealership within 6 months of purchase due to Visa issues and going back.

Regarding the cars available in Facebook market place/Craiglist, just ensure that you are meeting them in a public parking space like a Walmart or Target. Always check the car thoroughly and run through the Carfax history.

If you are getting a slightly old car, Ask a mechanic to evaluate it for potential problems. If you don't know any local mechanics, take that car to a Firestone or Christian brothers for the evaluation. They might charge you a little more but it is worth to spend that money. Car repairs are one of the costliest affairs in USA if you don't have the right contacts.

All the best for your search .
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 19:46   #5977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
CRV is one of the safest options. But you will find it hard to get a 2017 CRV in the used car market from a private seller. Look out for our guys who are going for-good due to unforeseen circumstances like Visa rejections, etc. I personally know many peoples who sold their cars for loss to dealership within 6 months of purchase due to Visa issues and going back.
I got a good deal like this due to visa rejection form an Indian guy. 2017 CR-V with 5K miles. asking price was 25K. Unfortunately at that time i was not ready for my purchase. I raised an online request with DCU for a loan. They do hard pull on credit history even for online request?
Old 15th January 2018, 22:34   #5978
BHPian

Quote:
I got a good deal like this due to visa rejection form an Indian guy. 2017 CR-V with 5K miles. asking price was 25K. Unfortunately at that time i was not ready for my purchase. I raised an online request with DCU for a loan. They do hard pull on credit history even for online request?
25k is little high for 5k miles ran car. Which variant is that? You can get a new CRV EX-L for 28k if you can negotiate a bit. The pricing also depends on the state where you are currently residing. Set your budget and start doing the research.

I guess they will do a hard pull even if you apply through online. But DCU is the only place which will provide lower interest for beginners.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 00:45   #5979
BHPian

Quote:
25k is little high for 5k miles ran car. Which variant is that? You can get a new CRV EX-L for 28k if you can negotiate a bit. The pricing also depends on the state where you are currently residing. Set your budget and start doing the research.

I guess they will do a hard pull even if you apply through online. But DCU is the only place which will provide lower interest for beginners.
It was EX and was in Chicago. I am in NJ now. Managed to get a job switch in this uncertain time .
Last week what i saw was 17K miles run car and asking price was 24K. One of the colleague bought brand new EX in July last year for 28800. EX-L was nearly 30 then. Didnt started checking with dealerships yet. My preference is used EX or above with a budget of 25K.
Old 16th January 2018, 03:54   #5980
BHPian

Quote:
It was EX and was in Chicago. I am in NJ now. Managed to get a job switch in this uncertain time .
Last week what i saw was 17K miles run car and asking price was 24K. One of the colleague bought brand new EX in July last year for 28800. EX-L was nearly 30 then. Didnt started checking with dealerships yet. My preference is used EX or above with a budget of 25K.
I feel the price is little high for EX pre-owned. CRVs were selling like hot cakes through out last year and continue to do so. Email the nearby dealers and check if they have any 2017 CRV EX in stock and ask for the price quote. Since 2018 model is already in the market, this is the good time to buy the 2017 model. Both the year models are one and the same without any changes. Also look in nearby states as well.
Old 19th January 2018, 20:33   #5981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I replaced my 2007 Nissan quest with 2017 Acura MDX last year, Black interior and exterior.
Wow. Would have loved to see this before I got the Pilot. Did you consider the Pilot and what made you choose MDX over it.

I did my math and took back to back test drives to conclude that the Pilot is close enough for lesser money. I still ended paying 39K for a EX-L with sensing.
Old 19th January 2018, 22:56   #5982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
No, the base version does not. you have to buy higher variants.

Good to know Acura was nice to you. I might exceed the miles too.
So looks like only the 2018's have the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto not the 2017s

Btw the New 2019 RDX looks great and that hopefully means that the 4th Gen MDX will be too

p.s. I have 2011 Tech + Ent MDX
Old 19th January 2018, 23:34   #5983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
So looks like only the 2018's have the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto not the 2017s

Btw the New 2019 RDX looks great and that hopefully means that the 4th Gen MDX will be too

p.s. I have 2011 Tech + Ent MDX

Yes. I too saw the 2019 RDX intro in Detroit Autoshow. The car looks smashing in and out. I got to know that the 3.5L v6 is replaced by the 2.0T engine introduced in the Honda Accord this year with 10 speed automatic. They said the car is prototype but it looks close to production spec version and also it looks bigger than its direct Rival Lexus NX200t. Hope this will get more Customers into Acura's stable. Current gen RDX looks very boring and uninspiring.

They need to really step up the game with next gen MDX as well. With Lexus introducing the RX350 with longer wheelbase version (7 seater) for 2018, competition is getting stiffer for MDX. Infiniti QX60 with its CVT will face even more heat now .
Old 19th January 2018, 23:47   #5984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I too saw the 2019 RDX intro in Detroit Autoshow. The car looks smashing in and out. I got to know that the 3.5L v6 is replaced by the 2.0T engine introduced in the Honda Accord this year with 10 speed automatic. They said the car is prototype but it looks close to production spec version and also it looks bigger than its direct Rival Lexus NX200t. Hope this will get more Customers into Acura's stable. Current gen RDX looks very boring and uninspiring.

They need to really step up the game with next gen MDX as well. With Lexus introducing the RX350 with longer wheelbase version (7 seater) for 2018, competition is getting stiffer for MDX. Infiniti QX60 with its CVT will face even more heat now .
Acura has also said that they are going to Introduce a turbo V6, so hoping that the MDX will sport that instead of the 2.0 Turbo 4 cylinder engine or atleast with the Type R spec and not RDX spec.

As for Competition, very few cars beat MDX on value, RX350 costs way more than a similarly equipped MDX with just 2 rows of seating.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 00:30   #5985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They need to really step up the game with next gen MDX as well. With Lexus introducing the RX350 with longer wheelbase version (7 seater) for 2018, competition is getting stiffer for MDX.
There is no killing the RX. With about 100K units, its the best selling luxury car model in the USA, period. C Class with about 70K is a distant second. The 350L will take it to an all new level. Even the NX sells more than the MDX.

I checked several used pieces. Insane resale value.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 20th January 2018 at 00:33.
mail4ajo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks