I am thinking I will post an ownership thread
Congratulations

Will look forward to reading your ownership report
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 05:15   #5927
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hello Guys, need a quick help.

I am considering a Certified Pre-Owned Civic. A current prevailing offer says APR 0.9% for well qualified buyer. I am not sure if I qualify for that and am hesitant to apply.

Here is a little background:

- Current FICO score is 745 (dropped from 767 when I asked for a credit limit raise last month )
- Have only one credit card with no outstanding debt. Have been religiously paying off bills. Always ensured I consumed less than 30% of approved credit limit.
- Own a credit card since the last year. This will be my first loan ever.
- Began working this month. Yet to receive first pay check.
- Cost of car is $14000, I am putting $1000 as down payment.

Must I apply and take a chance? If I dont qualify for the loan, my score will further drop and I will be forced to accept the rate Honda Offers.

Or

Take a loan with DCU @ APR 2.74 for 65 months?

help!
Old 9th October 2017, 02:07   #5928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

I am considering a Certified Pre-Owned Civic. A current prevailing offer says APR 0.9% for well qualified buyer. I am not sure if I qualify for that and am hesitant to apply.

Must I apply and take a chance? If I dont qualify for the loan, my score will further drop and I will be forced to accept the rate Honda Offers.

Or

help!
Take the chance and go for that 0.9% loan. Dont get forced into anything for one. If someone is pushing you for a deal, just walk away. DCU is very good, been a customer and they really go above and beyond for service.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 08:02   #5929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a little background:

- Current FICO score is 745 (dropped from 767 when I asked for a credit limit raise last month )
- Have only one credit card with no outstanding debt. Have been religiously paying off bills. Always ensured I consumed less than 30% of approved credit limit.
- Own a credit card since the last year. This will be my first loan ever.
- Began working this month. Yet to receive first pay check.
- Cost of car is $14000, I am putting $1000 as down payment.

help!
Some comments

- Your Credit score is pretty decent, you should qualify.
- If you apply for DCU that would probably be another hit to your credit

Go ahead with the 0.9% apr if that doesnt work go for DCU, whatever you lose with the hit will still get you their best offer(speaking from experience) and the novertime you will build your credit score back up because of loan. Dont think too much, you are good
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 13:43   #5930
BHPian

Quote:

Or

help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Some comments

- Your Credit score is pretty decent, you should qualify.
- If you apply for DCU that would probably be another hit to your credit

Go ahead with the 0.9% apr if that doesnt work go for DCU, whatever you lose with the hit will still get you their best offer(speaking from experience) and the novertime you will build your credit score back up because of loan. Dont think too much, you are good
If you run credit score for same reason within a week(or day) it doesn't impact the score. The dealers when applying for loan, check with multiple banks which means multiple checks. I would apply for DCU and check with the Honda dealer on the same day if that rule applies.

EDIT:
Below link from experian explains the same
Link

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 9th October 2017 at 13:49. Reason: added link
kraft.wagen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 10:51   #5931
Senior - BHPian

Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I bought a certified pre-owned 2014 Corolla LE with 27k odd miles on it.

Financed from DCU @ 2.24 APR.

Quick question: DCU charged me a processing fee of $780 odd for a loan of 13.5K. Is the processing fee so high?
Old 22nd October 2017, 09:01   #5932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Thanks for all the help. I bought a certified pre-owned 2014 Corolla LE with 27k odd miles on it.

Financed from DCU @ 2.24 APR.

Quick question: DCU charged me a processing fee of $780 odd for a loan of 13.5K. Is the processing fee so high?
I think that amount is the total interest that you would pay over the tenure of your loan and not fees - does it appear as the finance charge/ fees in your paperwork.
Old 22nd October 2017, 20:57   #5933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think that amount is the total interest that you would pay over the tenure of your loan and not fees - does it appear as the finance charge/ fees in your paperwork.
My bad, you are right! It's the interest. I don't see any other charges on the quote.
sachinj12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 08:53   #5934
Senior - BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Wow what a couple of weeks. Got my car bumpers replaced as mine got hit at a parking lot, detailed to remove some minor scratches, installed a new exhaust and awaiting a downpipe, got LED lights installed.

That's the good part!

A leak has been detected and is annoying me and will be going back to the shop tomorrow.

Till then let these pics help.

I Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509420072.803461.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509420095.691808.jpg

Also the exhaust. Drone is nice and better than stock. Mileage has stayed the same.

Hope the leak can be found and fixed before it's too late.

Maddy

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd November 2017 at 00:02. Reason: Apostrophe fixed.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 20:02   #5935
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Planning to buy my first car in the US and kind of lost in all the options available.

Some Background:
I just moved to a small town in the Metro Detroit region to start a new job. No public transport options exist here and the only option for me is to take Uber/Lyft to office everyday.

Requirements:
I want a reliable car which would have AWD (Michigan Winters ), some modern comforts like ACC and sunroof would be nice but are not deal breakers.

I like doing long roadtrips at weird times so reliability is a top concern for me.

Budget:
Ideally something below $10k but willing to extend up-to $14k.

Options:
1. Ford Fusion AWD
2. Ford Escape
3. Ford Taurus AWD

Most of these are 2009 - 2013 models. I like the Fusion and the low price for many of the cars make it a tempting buy. But I highly doubt Ford's long term reliability.

4. Nissan Pathfinder
5. Nissan Rouge
Good cars, I'm not a huge fan of the interiors though. And I don't really know about their reliability.

6. Toyota RAV4
7. Honda CR-V
Nothing exciting about these. Very boring, very stereotypical. Very reliable!

8. Subaru Forester
9. Subaru Outback
I had almost decided on buying a 2015-2016 Subaru Legacy before some semblance of practicality kicked in and I decided I did not want to spend so much (~19-20k) on a car so early in my career. The used 2012-2013 Foresters are going around 12-13K and are one option I am seriously considering if I find a good example.

10.BMW E90 3 Series
This is the dream car. One I would love to have. But most are out of warranty and I'm scared of the maintenance costs if I end up with a bad example.

So as you can see, a lot of indecisiveness and no idea what I want to buy. I would love to hear what you guys think and also if there are any good options I am missing out on.
Old 1st November 2017, 21:37   #5936
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
..I would love to hear what you guys think and also if there are any good options I am missing out on.
Car choices are personal, and its best you weigh in on your priorities and finalize a car that aligns closest with those priorities. Typically, lower TCO is a given priority, but ideally should not equate to a low rent car.

All I can suggest is that considering you are in the world's largest automotive market, you would do yourself a favor by keeping an open mind and embracing diverse brands/models this country has to offer and possibly avoid fixation on just a limited set of brands that our demographic might be aware of while starting life in the US.
theMAG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 02:12   #5937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Car choices are personal, and its best you weigh in on your priorities and finalize a car that aligns closest with those priorities. Typically, lower TCO is a given priority, but ideally should not equate to a low rent car.

All I can suggest is that considering you are in the world's largest automotive market, you would do yourself a favor by keeping an open mind and embracing diverse brands/models this country has to offer and possibly avoid fixation on just a limited set of brands that our demographic might be aware of while starting life in the US.
Absolutely. You probably can just take a trip up to Carmax to see the most eclectic mix of cars - just tell them you need AWD cars under 15k or so and they can show you tons of options - beyond what you even originally considered. Perhaps you might like something else that you did not think of originally - I can think that a Buick or an Acura also have AWD sedans (apart from luxury brands).
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:05   #5938
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. You probably can just take a trip up to Carmax .
No carmaxes in metro Detroit.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 07:14   #5939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
Have you checked out the new Ford Edge? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Volvo’s tend to be very reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Volvos' have crazy depreciation. Other than that I have great respect for Volvos.
Quote:

CR-V is still a solid choice for a car for a family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
With Michigan winters, I am assuming you are looking for something with AWD
Its been quite a while since I sought your suggestions and I have now bought a 2016 KIA Sorento. Thank you guys for pitching in with suggestions.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-sep-08-5-26-48-pm.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-sep-08-5-25-16-pm.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-sep-08-5-25-08-pm.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo-sep-08-5-24-59-pm.jpg

However, this won't stay for long. I am waiting for the new JL Wrangler Unlimited to come out which is only a few months away from being in the showrooms. The Sorento is very roomy and packaged well. However, there is a certain blandness to it that keeps me from being emotionally 'connected'. Hence I know that it will go for sure.

The JL on the other hand would be a clear heart decision. It is definitely smaller than the Sorento and if the JK Wrangler's ride is to be compared, the JL could be a bit bumpy on higher speeds unlike the smooth ride on the KIA. If I still buy the Jeep, I have definitely parked my brains home.
To comfort myself, I spoke to the Vehicles Dynamics team at FCA and they confirm that the ride is definitely better than the JK and assure me it is worth the wait. Will wait and see.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 3rd November 2017 at 07:20.
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:33   #5940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shekhar View Post
Hi Guys,

Planning to buy my first car in the US and kind of lost in all the options available.

8. Subaru Forester
9. Subaru Outback
There is a relatively low-miles Impreza in Troy. Check it out.

http://www.suburbancollectiontroymot...96f99440a5.htm

I am looking at the same car for my wife but it's slightly over budget.

note to Mods : please merge with above post if needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks