Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 06:53   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hey folks, need help. I came across this CPO Nissan Versa Note; the AutoCheck report says 1 owner but does not report as sold. It states 'Auto Auction'. Is this a red flag?

Here is the link for the AutoCheck report

http://ebay.vinmanager.com/AutoCheck...3#full-history

Link for the car details:
http://www.cpo.nissanusa.com/search-...etails-hzb6xfm
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-nissan-tbhp.jpg  

Old 12th September 2017, 07:47   #5912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The Jeep GC's have the ZF8 speed. The ZF9 speed was on the Cherokee, not the Grand Cherokee. ..

Thanks. Coincidentally, the Grand Cherokee's transmission problems (other than the shifter design) for 2014/15 were also reported to be signficant, although not as bad as the Cherokee transmissions - which was reported as "Junk" altogether.

I guess I have to research in greater depth to determine if I need to give the 2014/15 Grand Cherokees a complete miss or locate one with updated software that was reported to have cured the rough shifting issue.
Old 12th September 2017, 08:37   #5913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Hey folks, need help. I came across this CPO Nissan Versa Note; the AutoCheck report says 1 owner but does not report as sold. It states 'Auto Auction'. Is this a red flag?
Dealers routinely buy cars from auctions and sell as pre owned (or, in this case certified pre owned) cars. I don't think that in itself is a cause of worry. Evaluate the car the same way you would evaluate any used car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

I guess I have to research in greater depth to determine if I need to give the 2014/15 Grand Cherokees a complete miss or locate one with updated software that was reported to have cured the rough shifting issue.
So, did you find out about a fix? Is this a common problem? A colleague I have at work has a 2014 JGC V8. Apart from some minor niggles, he hasn't had any transmission issues to report of. Is this only on a batch of cars made between some dates or something?
Old 12th September 2017, 09:00   #5914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dealers routinely buy cars from auctions and sell as pre owned (or, in this case certified pre owned) cars. I don't think that in itself is a cause of worry. Evaluate the car the same way you would evaluate any used car.
Maybe I am unduly worried on this.

I am trying to figure out why this went to auction. Repossessed perhaps? I just want to ensure its not a salvage or something with an improper title.
Old 13th September 2017, 08:54   #5915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Maybe I am unduly worried on this.

I am trying to figure out why this went to auction. Repossessed perhaps? I just want to ensure its not a salvage or something with an improper title.
Cars can be at an auction for any number of reasons. A car that remained unsold can go into an auction situation, or a dealer may get a trade in and send it to auction etc. Googled and found this link that maybe helpful to you - Buying a car at an auction. As I said before, many reasons for a car going into the auction. Being a car with a questionable history is one of them.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 10:22   #5916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I said before, many reasons for a car going into the auction. Being a car with a questionable history is one of them.
Too true, so why risk it?

Sachin, you are in the USA the number 1 car country in the world. There are more second hand cars out there that you can shake a stick at. So if anything doesn’t completely add up, you don’t feel comfortable with, move on to the next car.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 23:43   #5917
BHPian

Does anyone face issues with paint bubbles on the hood of the car? I have a 2015 Honda Accord sport - black color and I have this issue. Request your valuable suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1505499147271.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1505499168325.jpg  

Old 16th September 2017, 09:20   #5918
Senior - BHPian

Nop that's not usual! I would be complaining to the dealership asap!

Maddy
Old 16th September 2017, 10:07   #5919
BHPian

Re: Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is doing great. I have been in US for ~2 years now and am currently planning to buy a new car. We are going for a new car. In India, I drove XUV 500 but there are so many options that I have not been able to convincingly zero in on one car.

We are looking for excellent traction/AWD capabilities, given we stay in Boston, top of the line safety and driver assistance features and great headlights (I do lot of night driving)

Some of the cars we are considering are the following
- Audi Q7: We like it a lot given the optional third row, great capabilities but getting all the features we need pushes the price to ~$75K on road

- Mercedes GLC 300: It is very drivable, offers great safety but with the features it costs ~$60K and does not offer a third row. Plus I am a little disappointed with the boot size of 500L

- Land Rover discovery: Great all around, spacious, amazing off road capability and adaptive suspension. However, the worst when it comes to driving and does not make me feel safe around the corners or in city

- XC 90: Have not test driven it yet but have heard there are some cabin noise issues. Plus it only offers a 2 Liter engine, which is not great for a car that size according to me.

SO, My question is that would you have any opinion on these cars?

More importantly, is there any website remotely comparable to team-bhp, but dedicated to the US car scene?

Thanks
carvoyeur

Last edited by carvoyeur : 16th September 2017 at 10:09.
Old 16th September 2017, 21:48   #5920
BHPian

Thanks, I have booked an appointment on Monday with the dealer. Will update what they say.
Old 18th September 2017, 20:15   #5921
Senior - BHPian

So you are basically looking for a luxury SUV with 3 row seating? Given the price constraints I think the MDX fits perfectly. (LED lights, AWD, 3 row seating, Decently powerful engine, Standard safety equipment, Luxurious)
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2017, 01:30   #5922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordSport View Post
Does anyone face issues with paint bubbles on the hood of the car? I have a 2015 Honda Accord sport - black color and I have this issue. Request your valuable suggestions.
Do you by chance park under trees/ in the open? Looks like the 1st pic is a Tree sap and 2nd one is caused by the same and when cleaned it luckily went away, but left its spot behind (I may be wrong too). Happened the same to me and it just got worse when i tried to clean it with plain water/microfiber cloth.
ldk2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 01:52   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldk2 View Post
Do you by chance park under trees/ in the open? Looks like the 1st pic is a Tree sap and 2nd one is caused by the same and when cleaned it luckily went away, but left its spot behind (I may be wrong too). Happened the same to me and it just got worse when i tried to clean it with plain water/microfiber cloth.
Yes, you are right. The dealer also mentioned the same. Only resolution is to repaint which will cost around 2 grand. So for now I am leaving it and planning to give for a polishing.
Old 25th September 2017, 19:36   #5924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordSport View Post
Yes, you are right. The dealer also mentioned the same. Only resolution is to repaint which will cost around 2 grand. So for now I am leaving it and planning to give for a polishing.
I would suggest get it detailed from a professional detailer, a little bit of wet sanding and good polishing will get things back to normal.
Old 1st October 2017, 11:16   #5925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
So you are basically looking for a luxury SUV with 3 row seating? Given the price constraints I think the MDX fits perfectly. (LED lights, AWD, 3 row seating, Decently powerful engine, Standard safety equipment, Luxurious)
I went with LR discovery
It drove really well the second time around

I am thinking I will post an ownership thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks