Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 23:35   #5836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Guide: First-time car ownership in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
If your looking at Mazda i would look at the CX5 or the Mazda 5 instead of the 3. Space is better for the rear seats.

Also do you have a credit history? If yes why dont you look at a used car? The reason i say is my friend has a Acura TSX with 21k miles for $21k. Also this place has crazy good deals for used cars so please look.

And if your into american why not a cadillac? The CTS and ATS used comes at 18k starting price.

Maddy
I drove the Mazda 3 and 6. Threw the 3 out of choice.
Mazda 6 - Absolutely brilliance and luxury !

No credit history. Just completing my first year in US.
Drilled down used car option to only a BMW X1 or a Merc GLA.
Not a fan of Audi, so no Q3.

American - My first choice was Chevy Camaro or Dodge Charger. Had to discard them with a heavy heart since not much of a practical family car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlYamaha View Post
I own a CX 5 and can vouch for the car and the brand. I purchased the 7 year warranty and 5 year maintenance package and the Mazda dealerships are good in after sales service.

Three other friends of mine have CX 5, 6 and 3 hatch and they are happy.

It is fun car to drive with solid handling. The rear seats are comfortable but every steering input is felt there too and I would suggest you to check that out if you and your family are okay with that aspect especially on long drives.

Cheers,
Selva
Yeah, my friend got a Mazda CX5 Supersport in Australia. He keeps praising it. I forgot to drive the CX5. Will checkout during my next test drive at the Mazda dealer.

Off Topic - The first Mazda dealer I went to, disappointed me.
Said, your DL has mention of Temp Immigration Status. We don't lease car to Temp Immigration status people. I tried to negotiate saying that I do have all legal documents, but he won't budge. I walked out. Else would have probably finalized the Mazda 6. Anyways, this week I am visiting 2 BMW dealers and 2 Mazda dealers.

Will be a CPO BMW X1 or a new Mazda 6. Yeah, I know, weird choosing between a Crossover and a Sedan. But that's how we have made up our mind
Old 26th July 2017, 18:33   #5837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

American - My first choice was Chevy Camaro or Dodge Charger. Had to discard them with a heavy heart since not much of a practical family car :(
Wait. What? Why is Charger not a practical family car? 4 doors, seats 5 and has a ton of boot space. It's been doing duty as my family sedan pretty well for the past 5 years. Are you by chance confusing it with Challenger? Even though the only difference between Challenger and Charger is the number of doors (plus that fact that you can get Challenger in manual too)
Old 26th July 2017, 19:37   #5838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Off Topic - The first Mazda dealer I went to, disappointed me.
Said, your DL has mention of Temp Immigration Status. We don't lease car to Temp Immigration status people.
That's strange - Technically you don't need a license to buy/lease a car in the US.
What dealer was this? Your location shows a NYC zip code.

I can recommend you a Mercedes & a BMW dealership but they're both a little further away from NYC (if you are indeed in this area).
Old 27th July 2017, 10:44   #5839
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I have heard similar stories from dealers in TX. A colleague of mine was unable to lease a BMW or a Mercedes due to being on H1. Only Audi obliged with an A4. His previous car was Toyota which was also leased.
Old 27th July 2017, 11:06   #5840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post

Requirements:
1.4 Doors and manual tranny with shifting action like the STi.
2. Preferably >500 hp stock.

Can't think of a good option. Open to suggestions.
Did you check out the 2017 Chevy SS. 4 door, Rear wheel drive, V8 ,close to 500 bhp, manual available.
Motor Trend had stated this was better than the older generation BMW 5 series . Videos on YouTube may be helpful.
Old 27th July 2017, 21:55   #5841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
I have heard similar stories from dealers in TX. A colleague of mine was unable to lease a BMW or a Mercedes due to being on H1. Only Audi obliged with an A4. His previous car was Toyota which was also leased.
Who wants the sale more, that is the question. They would be at less risk leasing a car to a steady income upper middle class immigrant than a low income, lower middle class resident - but different risk appetite, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Did you check out the 2017 Chevy SS. 4 door, Rear wheel drive, V8 ,close to 500 bhp, manual available.
Motor Trend had stated this was better than the older generation BMW 5 series . Videos on YouTube may be helpful.
I think he originally ruled this car out, for some reason. They are available brand new for 10 - 20% off btw. I have a friend who has one, and has Holden badged it for fun. No other mods and loves it. Big, comfy and fun when you need it to.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 05:03   #5842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Who wants the sale more, that is the question. They would be at less risk leasing a car to a steady income upper middle class immigrant than a low income, lower middle class resident - but different risk appetite, I guess.
For the loan, the credit unions do not look at the visa validity. I had no problems getting a 5 year loan with a 10 months visa, with only 7 months left at that time.
Nonetheless, Mazda dealer told that my loan application would not be approved for visa reasons.
BofA told me that they might charge higher interest rates and would need more down payment, about 25% of the car value.
All the above for same car, same loan amount for me, when I was just 2 months old in the USA with no credit history. My friend who had 3 years of credit history and another 3 years on visa validity had no issues in getting an ultra low APR loan for 5 years from Mazda financing.

On the license requirement, most dealerships asked for an US driving license for test drives. The sales person promptly took a picture of my driving license before we started on the test drive. One of the Mazda dealership declined to honor my request as I did not had my drivers license with me on that day but a Toyota dealer allowed me drive with my Indian driving license on the same day. Hypothetically they might sell a car to a person without a driving license if the shopper do not ask for a test drive. However I reckon the insurance will not be issued without a DL and the dealership cannot register the car without valid insurance and hence the dealership will not release the car. Just my thought and would be happy to know if anyone has a different experience.
Old 28th July 2017, 22:19   #5843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

I think he originally ruled this car out, for some reason. They are available brand new for 10 - 20% off btw. I have a friend who has one, and has Holden badged it for fun. No other mods and loves it. Big, comfy and fun when you need it to.

I did consider the SS but its too sleeper for my taste. I also test drove a used M5 manual with <30k miles and I still preferred my STi. I drove a shelby GT350, fun car, makes really nice sound but I have to have 4 seats. So, change of plans, I realized that I can't make myself sell the STi, so, will change the stupid ES350 which is my wife's daily driver.
I am thinking of a Charger Hellcat and my wife loves the lime green color.
We are planning to test drive one today.
Old 31st July 2017, 16:38   #5844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlYamaha View Post
For the loan, the credit unions do not look at the visa validity. I had no problems getting a 5 year loan with a 10 months visa, with only 7 months left at that time.
Nonetheless, Mazda dealer told that my loan application would not be approved for visa reasons.
BofA told me that they might charge higher interest rates and would need more down payment, about 25% of the car value.
All the above for same car, same loan amount for me, when I was just 2 months old in the USA with no credit history. My friend who had 3 years of credit history and another 3 years on visa validity had no issues in getting an ultra low APR loan for 5 years from Mazda financing.
Have you checked with the credit unions? They usually have a low APR and easy to get loans approved. Personally I used DCU for my car and motorcycle.
Old 1st August 2017, 12:36   #5845
BHPian

Finally, picked a lime green hellcat charger with monkey brass wheels , black roof and HKaudio.
It's nothing like anything I had test driven so far. The thing does not make sense.
I am keeping my STi for now and wife is driving the hellcat.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20170801_000300.jpg  

dr.abhijeet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 17:48   #5846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Finally, picked a lime green hellcat charger with monkey brass wheels , black roof and HKaudio.
It's nothing like anything I had test driven so far. The thing does not make sense.
Congratulations (to your wife) on the car! Is she a doctor, as well?

This is just hilarious - totally not a doctors' car - a lime green high horsepower Charger.
Old 1st August 2017, 18:57   #5847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

This is just hilarious - totally not a doctors' car - a lime green high horsepower Charger.
She is a doctor as well. This is hilarious- a lime green high horse power charger driven by a brown physician.
It is an awesome car.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 19:56   #5848
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! Lime green looks good and truly stands out.
You need to post some driving impressions. Is it tame enough for daily drive duties?
Old 1st August 2017, 20:28   #5849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Congratulations! Lime green looks good and truly stands out.
You need to post some driving impressions. Is it tame enough for daily drive duties?
It is her daily driver with car seats. She smoked a ML63 AMG yesterday. Will post pictures and driving impressions soon. I am toying with the idea of buying one for myself because my wife is surprisingly possessive about the thing.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:56   #5850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Funky choice, indeed! Does it have a gas guzzler tax on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

What I thought too! I usually associate doctors with German cars. That's what I see around here. Lot's of Porsche's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks