Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:58   #5776
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Try buying one for MSRP or under and you'd see what I mean. Most listings are above MSRP citing market demand correction.
Here you go, RS's for Invoice (35k) - much less than MSRP. If the RS price keeps dropping, I might trade the STi on one.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...end-month.html

Another interesting read

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/11-focu...ting-lots.html

Last edited by Jomz : 2nd May 2017 at 20:00.
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:03   #5777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Here you go, RS's for Invoice (35k) - much less than MSRP. If the RS price keeps dropping, I might trade the STi on one.
Absolutely - you can find cars under MSRP. What I was trying to say is there are plenty of Focus RS's that are being sold at around 50k or more. Not a value deal there.
I can see that prices have dropped to around 47-48k highest now. I remember last year they were up near 55k. There are a few near 37k -
maybe you should trade in and negotiate hard.
Cars.com listings of new Focus RS
Old 2nd May 2017, 20:29   #5778
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Try buying one for MSRP or under and you'd see what I mean. Most listings are above MSRP citing market demand correction.
Is it really that good a car or are people really desperate for it, to spend that much money?
I know I won't.
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:23   #5779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Is it really that good a car or are people really desperate for it, to spend that much money?
I know I won't.
I wouldn't either. I don't know if people are buying it considering it may become a collectible. I don't think it will. Plus most people who buy it are going to take this to a track etc. - not good for collectible status.

Probably why Jomz is waiting for the price to drop under 35k.
Old 2nd May 2017, 22:12   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Probably why Jomz is waiting for the price to drop under 35k.
I will not buy an American/German engineered product, on its first year.
There might be stories/ data otherwise , but I don't feel comfortable taking that risk

I trust the Japanese though on their first year, so maybe Type R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
It is better than the rest of 35-40K AWD cars. But there are issues to be fixed.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/28-focu...y-rs-poll.html
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/28-focu...d-weather.html

Car reverting to FWD under heavy use, RDU overheat, etc.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd May 2017 at 22:55. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 2nd May 2017, 23:21   #5781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is better than the rest of 35-40K AWD cars. But there are issues to be fixed.

http://www.focusrs.org/forum/28-focu...y-rs-poll.html
http://www.focusrs.org/forum/28-focu...d-weather.html

Car reverting to FWD under heavy use, RDU overheat, etc.
I think for me the biggest problem is that there is no "comfortable" daily driving mode. Even in the softest of settings the suspension is very harsh, especially for pothole filled streets around in the Chicago area. My wifey feels nauseous in such cars and so even if I promise to forever drive the stick shift, she will still refuse to get into it.
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:55   #5782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will not buy an American/German engineered product, on its first year.
There might be stories/ data otherwise , but I don't feel comfortable taking that risk

I trust the Japanese though on their first year, so maybe Type R.

Each to it’s own.

I would never trust American except the odd one, but the German ones are quite already. However, you might want to go second hand. The used car market in the USA is absolutely huge.

You can get anything, American, European, Asian or whatever from reputable places such as Automax.

If you want a serious car, adjust your thinking and get something 2-3 years old and get the most options/features/gimmicks etc for a lot less!

You are in the country that literally invented cars for the masses. You can’t go wrong, but make sure you get it right. Get what you want, but don’t shy away from second hand cars. They can be extremely good value for money.

Nobody in the USA would think twice if anybody buys second hand. Especially if you get something special, that might be a stretch to afford new! It’s smart thinking

jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 04:28   #5783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

You can get anything, American, European, Asian or whatever from reputable places such as Automax.
You mean Carmax?

Thanks for the rest of your opinion though.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:59   #5784
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean Carmax?
Yes, Carmax!

Good luck, you are in Car heaven country, so plenty of choice. No need to rush into anything, as you can more or less pick up anything you want (and want to or can afford) and drive away in it the very same day, whether you buy new or second hand.

Jeroen
Old 4th May 2017, 05:11   #5785
BHPian

Im posting on team bhp after a long time, moved to Toronto a while back and been busy in setting things up from scratch.
I think it's now time to look for a used car, as I'll be moving away from downtown Toronto and would need access to transport.
I'm in a fix between getting a used 2013 BMW 320i 2.0 xDrive and the Audi A4 2.0 Quattro, with both costing around $22000 give or take, with average mileage of approx 70000 kms.
I know these variants are not the most fun to drive cars around, but what I'm looking for is a bit of luxury with more focus on reliability as my wife may also use it for her weekend work.
All things being constant, are these cars good options in terms of long term reliability, as i intend to keep the car for at least 5 years?
Any advice will be appreciated.

P.S I'm also open to a fairly new Mazda 3 or a Chrysler 200 but i guess they wont give the same feeling of luxury!!

Last edited by abhinavinc : 4th May 2017 at 05:12.
Old 4th May 2017, 17:11   #5786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
I
I'm in a fix between getting a used 2013 BMW 320i 2.0 xDrive and the Audi A4 2.0 Quattro, with both costing around $22000 give or take, with average mileage of approx 70000 kms.

All things being constant, are these cars good options in terms of long term reliability, as i intend to keep the car for at least 5 years?
You can’t go wrong with a 3-4 year old BMW/Audi with only 70.000 kms on it. You might want to check the respective clubs, they usually have good and practical buying tips, what to look for, weak points etc.

You want to make sure they have always been serviced properly by their respective authorised dealers and a properly stamped dealer service history is a must. At this age and mileage you should be able to find a one owner car, that has been properly serviced.

Another five years on the road at 15-20.000 km on these cars shouldn’t be a problem really. You might want to check if the four wheel drive requires anything special in terms of maintenance.

Not sure how things work in Toronto, but in Europe and the USA both BMW and Audi offer something along ‘certified’ pre-owned cars. You might pay a little more, but you get more peace of mind as the car will be properly serviced and they typically also offer additional warranty on it as well.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 20:15   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Im posting on team bhp after a long time, moved to Toronto a while back and been busy in setting things up from scratch.
I think it's now time to look for a used car, as I'll be moving away from downtown Toronto and would need access to transport.

P.S I'm also open to a fairly new Mazda 3 or a Chrysler 200 but i guess they wont give the same feeling of luxury!!
Either of those cars with 70K kms should be fine if you kept them for only 5 years, but I would strongly recommend that you go the Certified Pre-Owned route because you will have peace of mind with extended warranty coverage even if the car proves less reliable than expected.
BMW/Audi have a pretty good CPO program in Canada:
http://www.bmw.ca/en/fastlane/preowned.html
http://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/cpo.htm.../benefits.html

In any case if you buy a 2013 CPO vehicle this year it would be covered till 2019. But be prepared for expensive repairs if something does go wrong beyond that.

Like Jeroen mentioned, the forums are a wealth of knowledge on the specific model and even engine. So checkout Bimmerpost for the best, most comprehensive information on the 320i and Audiworld and Audizine for the A4.

Generally, comparable Japanese models are more reliable overall so you could consider an IS 250/350 or Infiniti G or Acura TL. Test drive them and you be the judge on quality/tech/interiors/looks etc.

I would avoid the Chrysler 200 if I were you. There are way better options out there even among American sedans.

The Mazda is a whole different class altogether but the interiors are almost Audi level IMO and Audi Interiors> BMW interiors.

Last edited by VPSuchin : 4th May 2017 at 20:30.
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 20:43   #5788
BHPian

Quote:
BMW 320i may be more reliable (and easier to drive for your wife) than A4. You may even be able to get a 328xi for under $25,000.

Have you considered 2013/2014 Hyundai Genesis sedan or 2013/2014 Lexus ES350 or 2015 Chrysler 300 (very capable cruiser)?

P.S. I am located downtown Toronto too. PM me your specifics if you are interested to catch up sometime.

Last edited by infotech58 : 4th May 2017 at 20:47. Reason: added another possible option.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 21:44   #5789
BHPian

Quote:
I know these variants are not the most fun to drive cars around, but what I'm looking for is a bit of luxury with more focus on reliability as my wife may also use it for her weekend work.
Any advice will be appreciated.

I would suggest you to go with CPO "Certified Pre Owned" way for the Audi and BMW, just to make sure the maintenance is under control.
Try to avoid Chrysler 200, there are many other option for your price range.
Lexus IS/ES/GS range, Acura TL, Mazda 6, Chrysler 300 can be added on your list too.
Just make sure that you get either FWD or AWD.
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 09:18   #5790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post

I would avoid the Chrysler 200 if I were you. There are way better options out there even among American sedans.

The Mazda is a whole different class altogether but the interiors are almost Audi level IMO and Audi Interiors> BMW interiors.
Why is Chrysler 200 such a bad option? I was driving a rental for a week and actually liked it better than a Mazda 6. Both were brand new cars (2016) and while the Mazda was a little more driver oriented it was very noisy and felt very light. I hated the little screen and its interface. Car felt under powered and no where close to any luxury car. The Chrysler felt well built and had a Jaguar style gear selector and lot more friendly interface compared to the Mazda. Me and my wife liked the well designed center console and the touch screen. The engine felt a lot smoother and fun to drive and the HID's made a huge difference.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks