Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 08:56   #5761
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

There you go again, being righteous about what makes a car guy / enthousiast.

Claiming exclusivity to the term car guy / enthusiast on the basis of a single aspect (i.e. manual transmission) is pretty shallow and narrow minded in my opinion.

Jeroen
One of the guys at work ( who is an car -enthusiast) shares some of your view points. He buys older cars ('67-70's) and thinks those cars should be just polished and waxed and driven only to car shows.

.... different car guys for different folks.

Just to change the topic, attaching pics of an AEV lift kit installed on a buddy's Jeep. It was supposed to be a 12 hour install, but took 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-1.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-2.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-3.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-4.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-5.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-6.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-7.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-8.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-9.jpg  

Last edited by Jomz : 27th April 2017 at 09:09.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 09:23   #5762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Different perceptions, Can't we all accept different view points and move along?
I wholeheartedly agree with this point. However, There is a difference between differing opinions/viewpoints which I am trying to repeatedly stress in my posts that is "I like A, but you like B and each one thinks their preference is better"
Versus the elitist mindset "I like A because I think A is better, I hate B, since you don't like A, you are not a true member of this special 1% club because I am insecure that other people who are unworthy (In my eyes) will claim it and dilute its purity"
We have can discuss differences without putting down other people. comments like "it's like you're desperate to look like a car guy but really can't be bothered to shift a stick" do exactly that.
Bottom line is it turns people away from the community.

And the point is not about this particular version of car, what car you or me or anyone else drives or what transmission you prefer. People from all spectrums are on this forum to learn and share and we should be more welcoming, not put up some artificial wall with this kind of attitude. There is a bigger picture here which is gatekeeping that is like cancer to any forum.

Edit: I will stop with this. Think I have made my points clear. Thanks for changing the topic

Last edited by VPSuchin : 27th April 2017 at 09:28.
VPSuchin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 12:36   #5763
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Jomz;4189639]One of the guys at work ( who is an car -enthusiast) shares some of your view points.

Good, so he agrees with
Quote:
Claiming exclusivity to the term car guy / enthusiast on the basis of a single aspect (i.e. manual transmission) is pretty shallow and narrow minded in my opinion.
??

Quote:
He buys older cars ('67-70's) and thinks those cars should be just polished and waxed and driven only to car shows.
Not sure what that has to do with me, but it sounds he enjoys his cars! Good for him!

Good for him. Nice Jeep, lifts aren’t for me.I like my cars original
Old 28th April 2017, 02:42   #5764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, it's obvious you love manual. Whether that makes you a man or a car guy is a different matter altogether. Personally, I don't think there is a correlation.

Putting down another guy because he doesn't have a manual shifter certainly makes you something else.

In my book if you are interested in cars you are a car guy! Period! Whatever takes your fancy.

Jeroen
Totally agree. I drive a 2015 Nissan Altima with a CVT. That's about as 'un car-guy like' as you can get. However it gives me great fuel efficiency, is comfortable, has a responsive engine and decent handling for what I use it for. I would hate it if someone told me I should skimp out on the comfort or peace of mind by buying an older car just because it comes with a manual.
If you like how cars work and have a passion for them, that's enough to make you a car guy IMO
Old 28th April 2017, 02:46   #5765
Distinguished - BHPian

Good for you. Enjoy your car!
Jeroen
Old 29th April 2017, 10:01   #5766
BHPian

Quote:

Just to change the topic, attaching pics of an AEV lift kit installed on a buddy's Jeep. It was supposed to be a 12 hour install, but took 3 days.
VERY , but that wing on your Impreza is just something else! My jaw just dropped when I saw that. Feels like a big big big middle finger to every hybrid and EV on the road, lol. Gosh, I want one so bad now.

Happy motoring, friend
Old 29th April 2017, 10:53   #5767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
VERY , but that wing on your Impreza is just something else! My jaw just dropped when I saw that. Feels like a big big big middle finger to every hybrid and EV on the road, lol. Gosh, I want one so bad now.

Happy motoring, friend

STis and WRXes are quite fun to drive and also work on (good and bad). Too bad in India the closest Subaru was the Chevy Forester....
Old 2nd May 2017, 03:54   #5768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
The STi is quite different than an Imprezza. Maybe a typo?

Also why do you think that wing has some sort of obscene message for Hybrids and EVs? Its not as if the STi has a gas guzzler V12 - it has an outstanding turbo 4 cylinder engine which gives decent FE compard to the horses it puts out. Or is that message on handling and driveability front? Surely the STi doesnt have an axe to grind against the EVs or hybrids of the world even on that front? With the germans maybe but definitely not with EVs/hybrids. Those are like two completely separate markets IMO.
Old 2nd May 2017, 07:57   #5769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post

Also why do you think that wing has some sort of obscene message for Hybrids and EVs? Its not as if the STi has a gas guzzler V12 - it has an outstanding turbo 4 cylinder engine which gives decent FE compard to the horses it puts out.
Not really, STi's and Evo's give the same mpg as a v8 Camaro/ mustang. Much lower than bmw's etc. Mpg is not its strong suit.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 17:32   #5770
Senior - BHPian

For that matter even the WRX with the newer 2.0 turbo 4 doesn't get anywhere near as good fuel economy as other turbo 4s with comparable power out put from Germany or elsewhere. Subaru doesn't make these engines with FE in mind
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 18:48   #5771
BHPian

Thanks for your STi FE posts gents. However I wasnt implying that FE is a strong point for the STi or that Subaru kept FE as a consideration in desiging the STi's motor. My only point was that an EV/Hybrid owner isnt going to go wide-eyed on seeing a Subaru STi or vice versa. Those two choices are at completely separate ends of the car buying spectrum. I found the 'big big big middle finger' comment quite amusing. IMO neither Subaru engineers nor STi owners are out to prove a point to EV/Hyrbrid makers and owners. The kind of consumers who buy them are buying each for very different considerations.

Also - just curious - what models from German manufacturers have a 2 litre turbo with ~300 horses? I keep seeing 200-250 horses from their 2.0 litre turbos.

Last edited by Cesc : 2nd May 2017 at 18:53.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:14   #5772
BHPian

Quote:

Also - just curious - what models from German manufacturers have a 2 litre turbo with ~300 horses? I keep seeing 200-250 horses from their 2.0 litre turbos.
Audi S3/S4
VW Golf R
Merc CLA45 AMG

Non German -

Civic Type R
EVO (RIP)
Sti (2.5l)
Focus RS
ATS 2.0 (272 Hp)
Volvo S60 T6
Mustang Eco Boost (2.3l))

Quote:
Subaru kept FE as a consideration in desiging the STi's motor.
Sti has the same engine since 2005. It has not been re designed ever, just new calibrations.

Last edited by Jomz : 2nd May 2017 at 19:22.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:29   #5773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Audi S3/S4
VW Golf R
Merc CLA45 AMG

Non German -

Civic Type R
EVO (RIP)
Sti (2.5l)
Focus RS
ATS 2.0 (272 Hp)
Volvo S60 T6
Mustang Eco Boost (2.3l))

Sti has the same engine since 2005. It has not been re designed ever, just new calibrations.
Add the Volvo 4 cylinder Turbo + Supercharged motors to that list - That makes 300 HP as well.

Soon there will be a 5 cyl 400 hp from Audi in the RS3/TT RS. Those would be fun little cars to have. I believe it was going to be priced at around 55k - wonder what the people who paid 55k for brand new Focus RS's would think at that point.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:37   #5774
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
wonder what the people who paid 55k for brand new Focus RS's would think at that point.
It starts out just under $40k. I don't think it goes up-to $55k even if you tick all the available options/packages.
Old 2nd May 2017, 19:39   #5775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
It starts out just under $40k. I don't think it goes up-to $55k even if you tick all the available options/packages.
Try buying one for MSRP or under and you'd see what I mean. Most listings are above MSRP citing market demand correction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks