Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2011, 13:19   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

@maranellored: That's sweet! The car looks so new. I couldn't figure out whether its a new or used car.

Ok, controversial question: Who likes the Turbo Beetle? I know it is considered "chick" car for its looks, but does anyone other than teenagers think of it that way? Will people whisper behind you and say "that dude is so funny he drives a chick car he must be..."

(I like the looks of the Turbo Beetle EXCEPT the front headlights which still remain feminine. But the specs look promising, and I can imagine tossing a small car with turbo around. Turboooooooo... and well, not considering GTI because wife says "it looks like Indica" ).
Old 6th November 2011, 21:35   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
(I like the looks of the Turbo Beetle EXCEPT the front headlights which still remain feminine. But the specs look promising, and I can imagine tossing a small car with turbo around. Turboooooooo... and well, not considering GTI because wife says "it looks like Indica" ).
Do you mean the latest version of the Beetle? It looks much better compared to the previous version, which was admittedly flawed.

The GTI is the real deal though - it's a very nice car.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:46   #558
BHPian

@aah78-^I agree, and now they are coming with the R32 again.
I, though, am waiting for the WRX on the new impreza ,hope its not as hopeless as the last one.
Old 8th November 2011, 03:42   #559
BHPian

Quote:
@maranellored: That's sweet! The car looks so new. I couldn't figure out whether its a new or used car.

Ok, controversial question: Who likes the Turbo Beetle? I know it is considered "chick" car for its looks, but does anyone other than teenagers think of it that way? Will people whisper behind you and say "that dude is so funny he drives a chick car he must be..."
Which turbo Beetle did you mean? I think VW is launching a limited edition Black Turbo next year. It so looks like Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Do you mean the latest version of the Beetle? It looks much better compared to the previous version, which was admittedly flawed.
Totally agree, the new beetle looks better than the previous generations.
Old 8th November 2011, 08:36   #560
Senior - BHPian

Well this thread has been on the corner of my eye for a while and thanks to all i had to go for one which was either manual or had paddle shift as an option.

Will probably create a seperate thread when i find time as my story was unique. I was confused between the Lease/ New/ Used to Cheap option. Started off from the rear and ended up with a New Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Was a nice experience or should i say roller coaster one!

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-6315860555_15539a5127_b.jpg

This is one pic which my friend (who is agups on tbhp took)
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 17:25   #561
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well this thread has been on the corner of my eye for a while and thanks to all i had to go for one which was either manual or had paddle shift as an option.

Will probably create a seperate thread when i find time as my story was unique. I was confused between the Lease/ New/ Used to Cheap option. Started off from the rear and ended up with a New Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Was a nice experience or should i say roller coaster one!

Hi !!
@ maddy42 , it willl be great if you can give perspective on " the Lease/ New/ Used to Cheap option".
It will go a long way to help first timers to the US.

By the way the Genesis coupe seems a looker .

Cheers!
Old 8th November 2011, 19:14   #562
Senior - BHPian

@maddy42: looking forward to your full story especially the driving impressions.

how do you find the steering feel?
Old 8th November 2011, 19:33   #563
BHPian

@maddy42 That car looks sweet! Do consider winter tires if it snows in your area. RWD on all seasons is bound to be scary.
Old 8th November 2011, 23:49   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Well .............
............with a New Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Was a nice experience or should i say roller coaster one!

Thats a great buy maddy42. Must be fun driving the manual esp if you have twisties around your area.
Is this the 2011? Do share your experience

Great pic
Old 9th November 2011, 00:03   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Started off from the rear and ended up with a New Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T. Was a nice experience or should i say roller coaster one!
Wow!!! Congrats on the new ride. This is a looker and very good to drive. Just saw one yesterday and looked fantastic. It is a very mod friendly car too. Hope the mod bug bites you soon

Do post a detail review of the same. Would love to hear what other options did you consider and how you narrowed it down to this. Hope you got a killer deal for 2011.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th November 2011 at 00:05.
Old 9th November 2011, 11:30   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi !!
@ maddy42 , it willl be great if you can give perspective on " the Lease/ New/ Used to Cheap option".
It will go a long way to help first timers to the US.

By the way the Genesis coupe seems a looker .

Cheers!
Quote:
@maddy42: looking forward to your full story especially the driving impressions.

how do you find the steering feel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
@maddy42 That car looks sweet! Do consider winter tires if it snows in your area. RWD on all seasons is bound to be scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Thats a great buy maddy42. Must be fun driving the manual esp if you have twisties around your area.
Is this the 2011? Do share your experience

Great pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Wow!!! Congrats on the new ride. This is a looker and very good to drive. Just saw one yesterday and looked fantastic. It is a very mod friendly car too. Hope the mod bug bites you soon

Do post a detail review of the same. Would love to hear what other options did you consider and how you narrowed it down to this. Hope you got a killer deal for 2011.

Thanks all. Steering is tight. Car sits on the road and so the speed somehow doesnt get lower than 80 .

I stay in Arizona. Use the paddle shift frequently now. The choice was narrowed down after starting with the Miata, the honda accord 2005 and finally a 2012 Elantra and then the Genesis.

Was like a promotion.

Lease vs Buy is a very selective decision. Old vs New is worse!

In simple terms: If your paying Cash then Old is a Good deal. If your looking at credit then New is a better option. The cost of a Used car in a dealership is higher than the regular market and finally you add tax and title so the car is almost 3000 more expensive or probably even greater.

Will write a detailed review soon.
Old 10th November 2011, 02:20   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We have a convertible beetle and I have always felt it's more like a 1940s car than a chick car. Having driven zens and santros, I have immense respect for the beetle. if it feels rock solid on road (complete with an engine growl and solid interiors), I don't see any reason to think of it as a chick car, except the fact that my "chick" drives it

Yes, I used to take it sometimes too, only for the top down factor. Now that spot is taken by my bike.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 22:33   #568
naj
BANNED

Hi!!

As regards Car leasing please guide on the below-

aa)Is credit rating also a deciding factor for a car lease? Also for a new entrant to the US will the lease monthly payouts be more by virtue of his zero credit history.

bb) Some cars require a down payment along with the monthly lease payments. Can one get a lease without or with a minimum down payment?I have seen some listings for lease without a down payment.

Please advice on the above keeping first timers to US in perspective.

Cheers!!

Last edited by naj : 11th November 2011 at 22:34.
Old 12th November 2011, 00:02   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

aa)Is credit rating also a deciding factor for a car lease? Also for a new entrant to the US will the lease monthly payouts be more by virtue of his zero credit history.

bb) Some cars require a down payment along with the monthly lease payments. Can one get a lease without or with a minimum down payment?I have seen some listings for lease without a down payment.

Cheers!!
I am not familiar with leasing. But i will try and answer the above questions to best of my abilities.

Credit rating is considered when you go for leasing. Yes, you may have to pay more than normal since you have no credit history.

If you have no credit, you may have to pay security deposit or a minimum down payment which is dealer dependent. There are some dealers who don't take any down payment for lease and take your job as guarantee. But then it again depends on dealer and company you work with.

Get more details over here

Auto Leasing Introduction for Consumers. Learn How To Be Smart About Car Leasing

Last edited by chevelle : 12th November 2011 at 00:12.
Old 12th November 2011, 02:43   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

Cheers!!
Yes credit rating is a factor, but I guess with 0 credit, you may have to pay more every month.
Based on your good credit score, some dealers may give out lease at lower down payment. Again with 0 credit this may only go up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks