Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2016, 08:25   #5431
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
428 is a powerless decent-handling car with a BMW badge
Can't agree more, we had some good fun in 2016 M235i XDrive today, proper 6 cylinder with adaptive M suspension and body Kit.I will agree 4 cylinder BMW are best for someone looking only for brand name.
Quote:
so definitely test drive a Mustang GT
We did drove the EcoBoost, this car is indeed special. Will take call between 2 Series / Mustang soon, Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 21st August 2016, 18:26   #5432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Can't agree more, we had some good fun in 2016 M235i XDrive today, proper 6 cylinder with adaptive M suspension and body Kit.I will agree 4 cylinder BMW are best for someone looking only for brand name.

We did drove the EcoBoost, this car is indeed special. Will take call between 2 Series / Mustang soon, Thanks for the suggestions.

Have you driven the STI? Other options will be fusion sport or regal GS or focus RS or golf R or S3 etc etc.
Old 21st August 2016, 21:07   #5433
Senior - BHPian

Finally decided to pick up (lease) a new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium after about a year of driving a used Corolla. Was debating and comparing between multiple options including CX5, RAV4 and Tucson.

Options chosen include a 2L turbo engine with 245 bhp and voice activated navigation. This seems to provide maximum value for the money at about $30k.

Btw, Nissan seems to be on a closeout sale for its 2016 models. I have seen discounts of upto $7500 on Altima and Rogue. Not a bad deal for that price.

Last edited by vasoo : 21st August 2016 at 21:14.
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:47   #5434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Definitely STI! 428 is a powerless decent-handling car with a BMW badge, it's usually bought for BMW comforts (iDrive etc) and looks by people who don't care much about the driving experience. 435 is a different story though. (I should know, I own a 328 myself . I didn't buy it for those reasons but I'm not the average buyer).
I'm not sure of the 428i being powerless .. It's got plenty of power to get out of its own way and hits 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It is sufficient speed for most practical purposes. In fact a lot of people found the 328i when it came out with the 4 pot to be a lot more balanced, and dare I say, the 335i to be a wee bit nose heavy.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 22nd August 2016 at 19:48.
Old 22nd August 2016, 19:48   #5435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Finally decided to pick up (lease) a new 2017 Ford Escape Titanium after about a year of driving a used Corolla. Was debating and comparing between multiple options including CX5, RAV4 and Tucson.
The 2017 Escape, especially in the Titanium trim with the 2.0 Ecoboost has been getting really good reviews lately.
How is the new Sync 3 system? And how do you like the performance and handling? does the engine have enough punch around town and on the highway?
Old 22nd August 2016, 20:11   #5436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPSuchin View Post
The 2017 Escape, especially in the Titanium trim with the 2.0 Ecoboost has been getting really good reviews lately.
How is the new Sync 3 system? And how do you like the performance and handling? does the engine have enough punch around town and on the highway?
Yes. It is a great car. Engine is quite good for the roads here. The base engine (1.5L turbo) was found to be a bit weak. Sync3 is much better than earlier versions with support for Apple and Android. Car comes with 18" 235 profile wheels, which provide good ride and grip.

Specs: http://m.ford.com/content/MobileFord....html/titanium

Sync3 review: http://www.digitaltrends.com/infotai...sync-3-review/
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:51   #5437
BHPian

Hey Guys, I'm really hoping you guys can help my uncle out here since I couldn't.

He is looking to buy a 5-seater/7-seater SUV under the budget of $100,000 and needs it to be super comfortable.

Cars he has already looked at and rejected for the lack of comfort or looks are

- Tesla Model X
- Mercedes GLS
- Audi Q7
- Volvo XC90

I've also told him about the Range Rover and the BMW X5 but he still hasn't seen those. I am a little perplexed that even a GLS or a Q7 wasn't comfortable enough since I would pick any of the cars mentioned in a heartbeat.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:17   #5438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
He is looking to buy a 5-seater/7-seater SUV under the budget of $100,000 and needs it to be super comfortable.
Something like the Lexus LX or Porsche Cayenne S?

A friend's dad owns the LX and uses it as his daily drive to work (his other drive is the Panamera); another owns the Cayenne as a daily drive. Both are pretty happy with the ride quality and general luxury comfort.

In the looks department, both score high.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd August 2016 at 13:18.
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:00   #5439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Something like the Lexus LX or Porsche Cayenne S?

A friend's dad owns the LX and uses it as his daily drive to work (his other drive is the Panamera); another owns the Cayenne as a daily drive. Both are pretty happy with the ride quality and general luxury comfort.

In the looks department, both score high.
The interesting thing is that he himself mentioned that he sat in his friend's Cayenne and that it was a really fast and feature laden car. I just assumed that it being a Porsche has to be less focused on comfort than a lot of other SUVs in the range and more tuned towards performance. Maybe he already has his mind made up on the Cayenne and just wants me to help guide him towards it.

I didn't know that Lexus had a SUV in this range and will definitely mention it to him.
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:51   #5440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The interesting thing is that he himself mentioned that he sat in his friend's Cayenne and that it was a really fast and feature laden car. I just assumed that it being a Porsche has to be less focused on comfort than a lot of other SUVs in the range and more tuned towards performance. Maybe he already has his mind made up on the Cayenne and just wants me to help guide him towards it.

I didn't know that Lexus had a SUV in this range and will definitely mention it to him.
There are some more options for him in that price range - Identical to the Lexus LX in the most part - the Toyota Landcruiser, then there is the Escalade and it's GMC and Chevy cousins. If he really didn't think the GLS is comfy, I can only think of going up to the Bentley or Rolls Royce SUVs as the true next step.
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:45   #5441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I didn't know that Lexus had a SUV in this range and will definitely mention it to him
New LX is cool, something large & imposing, will hold its value & be trouble-free and super comfortable with air suspension, just that deliveries can be an issue, here in Canada we need to wait anywhere between 6-9 months with preference to someone who leases rather than outright buying as these are being exported elsewhere due to value of CAD.

Old 23rd August 2016, 23:28   #5442
BHPian

Quote:

He can consider Lexus LX 570 (Retails to ~ 90 K USD) or Cadillac Escalade (Retails to ~75 K USD). Pics below

My preference would be the Lexus.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-lexus-lx-570.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-caddy.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2016, 23:49   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
He can consider Lexus LX 570 (Retails to ~ 90 K USD) or Cadillac Escalade (Retails to ~75 K USD). Pics below

My preference would be the Lexus.
In Canada cars are much costlier than US
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:58   #5444
BHPian

Agree, even maintenance are expensive.
Some of my friends who live in US - Canada border does their tire changes, suggested maintenance like 60K,90K,120K services (not regular oil changes ) in USA as it is less expensive in US
Old 24th August 2016, 00:48   #5445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In Canada cars are much costlier than US
not always, like the one I mentioned - LX570 , it comes fully loaded here at 108 K and with the same spec's in the US it's over 100 K. Factor the exchange rate and it will be about 15 % Cheaper here
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks