Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 03:34   #5266
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Nitin: there are a lot of chinese companies making tires now and many are supposed to be decent. My cousin in india used a brand called Kenda in india on his ecosport and has done about 40000 kms on them. Just check the ratings online before proceeding.

Jomz and Dr Abhijeet: Thanks for the suggestions. Will go check the cars you did mention. Only issue i have with the Evo is that Mitsubishi is not planning on making the model anymore and concerned with future issues if any.

Maddy
Old 24th February 2016, 18:54   #5267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Jomz and Dr Abhijeet: Thanks for the suggestions. Will go check the cars you did mention. Only issue i have with the Evo is that Mitsubishi is not planning on making the model anymore and concerned with future issues if any.

Maddy
Evo is a well established racing platform. There will be spares and aftermarket for quite a long time.
Old 25th February 2016, 20:22   #5268
BHPian

Hi.
I am a newbie here.

I just moved about a month back to the US - Columbus.

I've always wanted to buy a BMW and believe I am a little closer to that now.

Was going through this post about the KBB and other details to watch out. I must say, it was very useful.

But having said that, I would like to connect with any T-Bian or any Mod around this area, and get a second opinion around.

This place is completely new to me.

Whats is the best way to connect?
Old 26th February 2016, 23:23   #5269
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to TBhp Nikhil

This is the right thread to connect with US T-Bhp members, I don't recollect anyone from Columbus but I could be wrong. So lets wait & see if any one shows up.

Feel free to ask any specific questions that you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Hi.
I am a newbie here.

I just moved about a month back to the US - Columbus.
You mean Columbus, Ohio? Asking as there are a lot of cities which go by the name of Columbus in US
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 04:40   #5270
BHPian

Hi Technocrat,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Columbus Ohio.

I always wanted to have a BMW. Any BMW. It's been a dream to own and drive one.
I've been going through the sites and shortlisting some. I believe I should go for a 3 series.

Needed some help when I come to the point of a test drive. I understand that testing a second hand car is very different from testing one here. Besides never having owned a premium car ( back home I drove an I20 diesel) I need some help in that department.

Looking forward to connecting with the T-Bhp folks around this side.
Old 2nd March 2016, 23:49   #5271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilarni View Post
Hi Technocrat,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Columbus Ohio.

I always wanted to have a BMW. Any BMW. It's been a dream to own and drive one.
I've been going through the sites and shortlisting some. I believe I should go for a 3 series.
Needed some help when I come to the point of a test drive. I understand that testing a second hand car is very different from testing one here. .
Hi Nikhil,

I can help you with information on the 3 series. I have the 2010 328i E90 version which was made from 2006-2011. Depending on your budget you could go for the F30 as well which has been produced since 2012.
Just to give you an idea, 2009-2011 328i s go for around $10 to $18 K depending on the mileage. Used F30 328is go for around 30-33K
There are 2 versions of the 3 series excluding the diesel.The 328is have a naturally aspirated straight six engine whereas the 335i has the turbo engines. 230HP vs 300HP.

If you love to drive,you just cant go wrong with a 3 series. It is one of the best combinations of sporty performance , luxury and practicality.Having driven both,I would highly suggest the E90 version as it is a much better driver's car. BMW went really soft with the new version and unless you have the expensive sport packages it will feel very Un-BMW. Read this article that compares them both.

Also, You should be aware that BMWs are not generally super-reliable (compared to Japanese cars) but 328is are more reliable than the 335is mainly because it doesn't have N54/N55 turbo engine that has a lot of problems (Although they have gotten better after 2012).Maintenance are parts are more expensive than normal Japanese/American sedans so be prepared for that. Finally, E90 post http://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php? is a great resource for information on the 3 series if you decide to narrow down on the model.
VPSuchin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 21:30   #5272
BHPian

Is anyone here planning to buy the new Civic Sedan/Coupe? Honda just released pricing on the new Coupe

LX will be priced at $19,050 and the standard features are: •158 hp engine •16" alloy wheels •Rear back up camera •60/40 split rear seats •LED DRL's •Auto headlights •LCD color audio screen •Electronic parking brake •Auto climate control

LX-P will start at $20,850 and it includes or upgrades LX features: •One-Touch Power Moonroof with Tilt Feature •Smart Entry with Security System •Push Button Start •Remote Engine Start •Standard Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

EX-T starts at $22,300 and it includes or upgrades LX-P features: •174 HP 1.5-Liter Direct Injection Turbocharged and Intercooled DOHC 4-Cylinder Engine •Apple CarPlay™10 Android Auto™11 •450-Watt Premium Audio System with 10 speakers, including Subwoofer •Honda LaneWatch™12 •7" Display Audio with Electrostatic Touchscreen Multi-Angle Rearview Camera with Guidelines •Headed Front Seats •17-Inch Alloy Wheels
The model is also only $100 more than the same version of the sedan.

EX-L will start at $23,425 and it includes or upgrades EX-T features: •Leather-Trimmed Seating Surfaces •Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel •Leather Shift Knob •Automatic-Dimming Rearview Mirror

Touring which starts at $26,125 MSRP and includes or upgrades EX-L features: •Honda Sensing™ Suite of Safety and Driver-Assistive Features •Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with Voice Recognition12 •LED Headlights •Rain Sensing Wipers •Heated Power Door Mirrors with Turn Indicators

Source:
2016-honda-civic-coupe-prices-out.html
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-012016hondaciviccoupefd1.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-022016hondaciviccoupefd1.jpg  

Old 12th March 2016, 00:28   #5273
Senior - BHPian

Posting on the mother thread also. Has anyone had luck with PU/vinyl leather seats like we have in India? Original leather is very expensive, but great quality. Just don't want to invest so much on a 15k Corolla
Old 12th March 2016, 01:08   #5274
Senior - BHPian

Bikers Bhpians i need help. I wanted to go on a short ride and tried to starting a bike when it just does not start. The battery seems to be fine but engine doesnt turn on.

Sample of what i am facing is in this video.

Maddy
Old 12th March 2016, 02:37   #5275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bikers Bhpians i need help. I wanted to go on a short ride and tried to starting a bike when it just does not start. The battery seems to be fine but engine doesnt turn on.

Maddy
What bike do you have? Has it been lying unused for a while?
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2016, 17:14   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
What is power out of the battery? I would suggest pulling the battery out and get it charged for a day at Autozone.

It could also be the starter relay issue if the battery seems fine

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th March 2016 at 21:36. Reason: Removed video link in quoted post as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2016, 05:08   #5277
Senior - BHPian

I got a ducati monster. So it doesnt seem to be the battery as i always have the battery tender plugged in when i park it over night. I am having the shop take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully issue should get fixed.

I was able to rent a jeep and go offroading recently. Will share my pics and report shortly. One word "Jeeps are awesome fun" :P
Old 16th March 2016, 16:27   #5278
BHPian

Quote:
I got a ducati monster. So it doesnt seem to be the battery as i always have the battery tender plugged in when i park it over night. I am having the shop take a look at it tomorrow. Hopefully issue should get fixed.

I was able to rent a jeep and go offroading recently. Will share my pics and report shortly. One word "Jeeps are awesome fun" :P
Did you take it out in the deserts? Have heard of a few places in Monument Valley that rent jeeps(haven't tried).
Old 16th March 2016, 17:52   #5279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got a ducati monster. So it doesn't seem to be the battery as i always have the battery tender plugged in when i park it over night.
If the bike's been lying unused over winter the carburettors might have clogged.

Do you top-up the tank & use a fuel stabilizer before storage?
(Assuming your bike is carburetted, of-course).
Old 21st March 2016, 22:41   #5280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Did you take it out in the deserts? Have heard of a few places in Monument Valley that rent jeeps(haven't tried).
This was in Sedona which is 1 hour north of phoenix. Brown sandstone area. The rental company is called Barlow Jeep rental and has 3 locations of Sedona AZ, Moab Utah and Wrangler in california. Their charges are 325 for a day or 225 for four hours and with your full coverage car insurance. They have a 10% discount for regular customers and 30% off on slow days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If the bike's been lying unused over winter the carburettors might have clogged.

Do you top-up the tank & use a fuel stabilizer before storage?
(Assuming your bike is carburetted, of-course).
Got the cables checked and looks like some heat helps the bike start. Started using the choke to get things running but testing needs to be done over a period of time to get a perfect idea of what maybe wrong.

An example of what happened this saturday. Moved my bike out of the garage wore all the gear and pressed the starter - No sound at all. Checked the engine kill switch, choke, Side stand and pressed the starter again - No Sound at all.

Cursed my luck, my fate, shook the bike and moved it two feet ahead and pressed the starter - Bike roared to life!

I dont even know where to start looking with this experiment

Maddy

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd March 2016 at 17:30. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks