Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 04:48   #5086
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
I don't know what GM or Tesla are brewing in their R&D but I'm pretty sure they are spending $ for the next best thing. Lets not forget Tesla's Giga factory which will reduce the battery cost by 40-50%.
I'm not sure on the approach on the giga factory.

It assumes that battery technology is the best what it can be, and the Giga factory is a optimized method to produce the best battery technology, in a huge scale.

But actually battery technology is still evolving. For an example, Ni-Cd batteries were used in the intial hybrids. THen Lithium Ion batteries came into production which significantly increased the range. But are Lithium ion batteries the final solution for hybrids? I don't know.

Maybe it is.

An article to think about
https://theconversation.com/when-wil...vehicles-41341

Last edited by Jomz : 25th October 2015 at 05:11.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2015, 06:26   #5087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
But actually battery technology is still evolving. For an example, Ni-Cd batteries were used in the intial hybrids. THen Lithium Ion batteries came into production which significantly increased the range. But are Lithium ion batteries the final solution for hybrids? I don't know.
Look up Graphene! It could be the next breakthrough in battery technology not only increasing the battery capacity but reducing the charging time drastically. Samsung already claims to have developed Graphene based battery which doubles the capacity of the same size battery.
Old 28th October 2015, 16:34   #5088
BHPian

Another battery technology companies are gunning for: Solid State Lithium batteries

http://kirillklip.blogspot.com/2015/...lid-state.html
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 19:57   #5089
BHPian

EX Tesla guys start a new startup!!!

http://www.hybridcars.com/this-calif...essing-around/

I was unaware of this company, till somebody high in GM Hybrids left to join this one. They are hiring some real nice talent!!

Last edited by Jomz : 28th October 2015 at 19:59.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 22:52   #5090
BHPian

Would be interesting to see what they come up with especially its a price tag war for EV cars.
Nevertheless very strong and impressive top management.

Quote:
EX Tesla guys start a new startup!!!

http://www.hybridcars.com/this-calif...essing-around/

I was unaware of this company, till somebody high in GM Hybrids left to join this one. They are hiring some real nice talent!!
Old 29th October 2015, 00:12   #5091
BHPian

This is getting interesting, EV's will flood the market by 2020. There'll be lots of choices and of course consumers win
Old 29th October 2015, 07:24   #5092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post

Big three were in business for a long time and were too big to fail but eventually they did! Its not the size or the investment in R&D but the culture of a company that matters. Detroit has always been catching up with Europeans in quality, fuel efficiency and designs. US Govt and US automakers least cared about fuel economy a decade back. It was fuel prices which forced automakers and the govt to take steps in catching up. Europe cars were always about small engines/more performance/better fuel economy. Was Detroit sleeping then and now catching up? A startup company Tesla bought a revolution and then car manufacturers started rethinking their strategies.
Out of the Big three, Ford never failed, it never took govt. money to survive.

Yes, the americans are trying to catch up with the Europeans in build quality, plushness, but fuel economy, I doubt. Just yesterday the sales of the big trucks of Ford in the last quarter has gone up huge. Those trucks don't even return 20 to a gallon here, and americans love the F-series, Silverado's, RAM's. No matter what Toyota/Honda or any other manufacturer tries, they cannot match the americans in that segment.
Old 29th October 2015, 11:24   #5093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Out of the Big three, Ford never failed, it never took govt. money to survive.
That is not correct, although for whatever reason its a perception that perseveres in the public domain and I'm sure Ford likes that. its all related by the notion that Ford did not need a bailout a few years ago. But other then that in terms of receiving money in forms of different governement subsidies, Ford is actually one of the heaviest subsidised corporates in the USA.

If you go back in time you will see that Ford has always had to rely on govenement subsidies in one form or the other. Maybe it was never called a bailout, but its still governement money / tax payer money that has been poured into this company for decades.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/h...tml/?a=viewall

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...in-each-state/
Old 29th October 2015, 18:10   #5094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is not correct, although for whatever reason its a perception that perseveres in the public domain and I'm sure Ford likes that. its all related by the notion that Ford did not need a bailout a few years ago. But other then that in terms of receiving money in forms of different governement subsidies, Ford is actually one of the heaviest subsidised corporates in the USA.

If you go back in time you will see that Ford has always had to rely on govenement subsidies in one form or the other. Maybe it was never called a bailout, but its still governement money / tax payer money that has been poured into this company for decades.

That list has the entire gamut of automakers in the US.Does that mean the US Government "bailed out" all of them?

What Ford did during the big crisis in 2008 was remarkable.They had the leaders who foresaw what was coming and did everything in their capacity to have a liquid cash flow - that even meant pledging the iconic Blue oval.

So yeah,I guess,we can say that Ford didn't need the bailout - when the other Big 2 had all their debts striked out with a single sign by the Govt.
Old 29th October 2015, 19:15   #5095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Most of the taxpayer money, is not corporate welfare cheques. Most of the money described here is funds by Department of Energy, Department of Defense etc to work on advanced projects.

For example in 2010, Cummins, Navistar, Volvo & Detroit Diesel (Freightliner) were given money from Department of Energy to develop technologies to get 50% efficiency from engines. This money resulted to focused research on improving fuel efficiency, and Cummins was able to demonstrate 10.3 mpg

http://social.cummins.com/cummins-pe...ant-milestone/

This is not a welfare cheque or subsidy, It is money given by the government to do research, because the government does not have facilities to do this kind of research.

But unless, the press marks as welfare cheques, there is not circulation eh??

Last edited by Aditya : 5th January 2017 at 08:22. Reason: Deleting "presstitution"
Old 29th October 2015, 20:57   #5096
BHPian

Quote:
This is not a welfare cheque or subsidy, It is money given by the government to do research, because the government does not have facilities to do this kind of research.
I'm not sure if other countries (Govt) do research on fuel economy or hand out money to private sector for the same. If its only US then we are spoiled by low fuel prices. Fuel in Germany is around $6.50/gallon for petrol and maybe a dollar less for diesel and those numbers force auto companies to keep fuel efficiency as top priority.

@gauravdgr8: Ford F150 was No.1 selling truck for as long as I know! The reason for increase in sales this year is because of all new Aluminum-Alloy body shredding 700 pounds of weight and new Eco-boost engines. F150 gives around 19/26 (V6) and 15-22 (V8). Pretty decent numbers for a pickup with 12000 pounds towing capacity. For the record my GL is at 14/19. Its the thing for most farmers/contractors/construction workers in mid-west. Every second house in Iowa has a pick up truck.
Old 29th October 2015, 22:52   #5097
BANNED

Hi Everyone,

I would be moving to US (North Carolina) on a long term assignment from my organization. I have few questions regarding car purchase and DL.

1. Along with my Indian driving license, I am planning to carry IDP at start of my assignment. What's the site where I can check if NC allows IDP / Indian driving license?

2. One thing on my list after coming to USA is buying a car. I heard there are leasing options as well as buying options in US. Which one is more suitable if duration of stay is around 2 years?

3. I also heard that few of the leasing options are based on KM / miles drive per year. Is that true? Can anyone guide me about car leasing options available in US?

Looking forward to responses on my queries.

Thanks.
Old 30th October 2015, 00:35   #5098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
1. Along with my Indian driving license, I am planning to carry IDP at start of my assignment. What's the site where I can check if NC allows IDP / Indian driving license?
Not aware of the site but your IDP as per US norms should be valid for 6 months from the date of entry. Not sure if those rules changed.

Quote:
. Which one is more suitable if duration of stay is around 2 years?
Lease terms are usually for 36 months, depends on the manufacturer. If your stay is for 2 yrs then you are better off buying a used car or last year models at discounted price.

Quote:
Can anyone guide me about car leasing options available in US?
All manufacturer websites list lease programs with terms and conditions. 10000 miles/Yr is standard but you can opt for 12K or 15K miles/yr. Your monthly payments will defer based on the price (depreciation) of the car

There's tons of discussion here in TBHP for first time buyers/leasers. You can search for topics.

Good Luck and drive safe!
Old 30th October 2015, 07:16   #5099
BHPian

When I came to the US few months back. I tried to go the lease route. The problem I faced was with no credit history a lot of dealers increase the lease payment. Eg- Honda quoted 280$/month for me where as usual payment was around 150$/month.
Only Ford was ready to offer regular lease.
Old 30th October 2015, 08:00   #5100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I would be moving to US (North Carolina) on a long term assignment from my organization. I have few questions regarding car purchase and DL.

http://www.dmv.org/nc-north-carolina/
Check with the DMV in NC.

In addition once you decide which car and you arrange insurance the insurance company might have tighter norms. We had to get our DL quicker just because of the insurance requirements.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks