Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2015, 17:56   #5026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Nice pictures, thanks.

I used to love going to these car events when we lived in Kansas City. Throughout most of the year there used to be these sort of events in town and villages all over Kansas and Missouri. There were also plenty monthly events, where people would you rock up in their classic, hot rod, or whatever, would gather for a few hours early in the morning/late afternoon. Chill out, talk etc. Very amicable and enjoyable

Jeroen
Are you talking about various cars and coffee meets that take place at local levels? I have heard that they are quite regular. I would love to go to one if I can find one nearby. Next hurdle would be to wake up early on a Saturday/Sunday to attend it
Old 18th September 2015, 18:18   #5027
Team-BHP Support

Re: Visiting India while on DUI Texas query

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
Arrested in a DUI couple of years back. I'm currently under 1 year probation. My 6 month ignition interlock will go away after 2 weeks.
I think you'll get a much clearer answer from your immigration lawyer.

Also, maybe look up Immihelp.
Old 18th September 2015, 18:41   #5028
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Are you talking about various cars and coffee meets that take place at local levels? I have heard that they are quite regular. I would love to go to one if I can find one nearby. Next hurdle would be to wake up early on a Saturday/Sunday to attend it
Yes, some of them were early in the morning, some late afternoon. Check the local papers and ask around.

But during most of the year (except winter time) there used to car shows just about everywhere. Some what you would call proper car shows inside a venue, but there were always a lot of places where they would organise a one day event in the middle of town, close of a road or so.

The Heart of America Jaguar Club to which I belonged organised a yearly concours d'elegance in the middle of Kansas City in front of one of the big shopping malls.

Good luck and enjoy

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 08:30   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Kashif,

It's almost impossible for a newcomer to Canada to get credit at all because of non-existent credit history and credit rating.

In the meanwhile, since you're moving to Toronto, call Jeff at Toronto Mazda (he's the manager) and explain to him that you're a newcomer to Canada and ask if he can help you get a used car on finance. He only deals with new cars but maybe able to point you in the right direction. The advantage with Jeff is that he is that almost mythical creature - an honest car salesman.
Thank you very much for your guidance. I shall get in touch with Jeff. I'm keeping an option of obtaining a secure CC from Scotiabank as I've seen an option of opening a bank account through Scotiabank StartRight Program.

I will see how it goes and shall update on the (hopefully) success or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi,

You can get a secured CC after a deposit at any TD Bank branch. I did. More than the car it is insurances which is a headache. I advise to club with other household members and then call callcenter and get a quote.

For used cars look for direct sellers on Craigslist.
Thank you very much for your advice. I shall try this option of obtaining a secure CC, either from Scotiabank or TD. I've been looking up used cars on a u t o t r a d e r . c a and k i j i j i . c a and have come across some good options.

If all else fails, I'm also considering swiping my Indian CC and converting that amount into a personal loan.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2015 at 23:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 21st September 2015, 17:36   #5030
BHPian

Need help.

A friend of mine asked me for my help on deciding on an SUV. His budget - OTR Price of a Honda CRV EX-L AWD. What are his best options?. His main criteria is reliability. I advised him to go for either an EDGE/Encore/Rogue.
Old 21st September 2015, 20:18   #5031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Need help.

A friend of mine asked me for my help on deciding on an SUV. His budget - OTR Price of a Honda CRV EX-L AWD. What are his best options?. His main criteria is reliability. I advised him to go for either an EDGE/Encore/Rogue.

If it comes to reliability factor then I'm assuming resale value is being considered as well. CRV's have been huge in sales this year; reliability, cost of ownership, resale have been Honda's priority. Same thing with Toyotas. If your friend needs a AWD, then Subaru's are something to consider. Good luck hunting!
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 01:42   #5032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
If it comes to reliability factor then I'm assuming resale value is being considered as well.!
Its just that every other dude has one. I am sick of preaching them to try something different and they would go ahead and buy a Jap.

I have asked him to look a 2012 CPO MDX or RX 350. I just dont see the value in dropping 30K on a CRV.

Last edited by ToroRosso : 22nd September 2015 at 01:43.
ToroRosso is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 02:00   #5033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its just that every other dude has one. I am sick of preaching them to try something different and they would go ahead and buy a Jap.

I have asked him to look a 2012 CPO MDX or RX 350. I just dont see the value in dropping 30K on a CRV.
Good luck preaching. Check out the CPO market as you will find a lot of good deals.

Found a 2013 X1 for 21k with 14k miles and 2 years bmw warranty still on it.
I would look at the CX5 from mazda as an option.

Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 02:18   #5034
BHPian

Quote:

Subaru Forrester would be my first choice. Else suggest him to look at CX5 though its jap its not that common. Though I like Edge, its handling is very heavy compared to CRV and may not be everyone's choice(I like the handling).
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:10   #5035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL. I know what you mean. I used to pick up even more difficult battles. Like convincing a family of 3 that they dont really need an SUV the size of a CRV! Unless they plan to go on treks into the mountains. It is an exercise in futility. Instead of accepting this mission impossible, just give a thumbs up to any desi that you see driving anything other than the usual stuff!

Btw, why does your friend need an SUV the size of a CRV with AWD?
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:33   #5036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Btw, why does your friend need an SUV the size of a CRV with AWD?
roflmao. Because he has a 3 Year old Baby and it snows a bit in Louisville. Its just an excercise in futility. I am reasonably certain he is going to book a CRV - EX-L AWD in black this week.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 20:57   #5037
BHPian

Quote:
roflmao. Because he has a 3 Year old Baby and it snows a bit in Louisville. Its just an excercise in futility. I am reasonably certain he is going to book a CRV - EX-L AWD in black this week.
for the same(or less) he could easily drive away with Forester a much better AWD and drivetrain.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 21:56   #5038
BHPian

Btw, Mercedes dealer at 30K service recommended changing my rear brakes (rotors/Pads) which I agreed to! Cost $695

I had issues with front brakes at 18K miles but they were replaced under a soft recall. A batch of brake pads were "Contaminated" which ripped the rotors unevenly.
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:55   #5039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Btw, Mercedes dealer at 30K service recommended changing my rear brakes (rotors/Pads) which I agreed to! Cost $695
The front set for a civic costs close to $400 at dealerships so $695 for a GL is fair I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif_baig View Post
Thank you very much for your advice. I shall try this option of obtaining a secure CC, either from Scotiabank or TD. I've been looking up used cars on a u t o t r a d e r . c a and k i j i j i . c a and have come across some good options.

If all else fails, I'm also considering swiping my Indian CC and converting that amount into a personal loan.
No one will let you pay for a car using a CC. Couple of thousand for a deposit - sure but the full amount is a no no.

Get an insurance quote to assess the financials. Insurance for newcomers can be as high as $5k/year for certain cars (read civic/corolla).

Whereabouts in GTA (greater Toronto area) are you planning to setup base? That will be a big factor when it comes to insurance. Check https://www.kanetix.ca/insuramap to compare averages in different areas. In general, Burlington/Oakville have significantly lower rates as compared to the rest of GTA.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2015 at 23:56. Reason: back to back posts merged, please use multiquote option, thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:29   #5040
BHPian

Re: Immigrating to Canada - Need advice on buying a used/new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
No one will let you pay for a car using a CC. Couple of thousand for a deposit - sure but the full amount is a no no.

Get an insurance quote to assess the financials. Insurance for newcomers can be as high as $5k/year for certain cars (read civic/corolla).

Whereabouts in GTA (greater Toronto area) are you planning to setup base? That will be a big factor when it comes to insurance. Check https://www.kanetix.ca/insuramap to compare averages in different areas. In general, Burlington/Oakville have significantly lower rates as compared to the rest of GTA.
Thank you for your reply. I was not aware that paying the full amount for a used car (around $5000) using a CC would not be accepted as I have done the same previously in South Africa.

I am planning to move to Richmond Hill/Markham/North York area. I have heard about the unreasonably high insurance quotes and I'm willing to live with approx $500 per month as insurance for a year until I have built up my credit history.

In order to be able to register the car, I am carrying along a DL Extract issued by the RTO here as well as taking an IDP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks