Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 03:39   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
brand new Acccord, it worked out to around 24k and he's taken a 5-yr loan for it. That got me thinking along the same lines, though a 3-year loan (or max max 4 year) would be more my cup of tea.

Well, I discovered one surprising thing: Top-end subcompacts and base-model midsize sedans are priced almost the same!!

This gets me thinking: Why does anyone go for a Civic/Mazda3 top-end models? Why not base Accord/Mazda6 instead?

test-drive :
- Mazda3
- Mazda6
- Civic
- Accord
- Focus
- Golf

I initially had dreams about Fiesta but too many articles/reviewers say that it is underpowered at 120hp.

Comments are welcome.
You haven't considered dealer markups, taxes, fees and features as well as power. A civic is 1.8L while accord is 2.4L. Power, efficiency everything is different. The difference is still approx $2k-$3k when considered feature by feature. The best selling cars always has markups upto $10,000. Example, A camaro 1LT v6 is $26k, they add dealer mark up of $6000 and then add taxes and fees. So you are looking at $35k for a $26k car. This is a hot property right now and they won't even give you a second look if you are not ready to pay dealer markup. Previous version civic had a mark up of $2k. Corolla had ~$2k mark up which my friend bought 4 months back. He paid $19k for what essentially was a $16k corolla.

I would suggest not consider new cars. 20% depreciation out the door is huge. Pre-owned are your best bet. Get a 2008 BMW 328i for same price as a brand new civic. Does that sound lucrative enough? No, how about a mustang GT500 for price of a mid range accord? Still not good enough? How about a 2009 370z for price of a mid range civic?

the difference you mentioned, it is true for all segment. If you consider top end model of accord v6 which is approx $32k, you will enter Genesis/G35/TL/325i/c/IS category which starts around $30k and goes upto $45k.

When i was in market, i thought same as you. I can get a 33k camaro v6 RS edition for 5-year loan at 2.9% interest. Just have to pay $350-$400 a month. But i didn't, instead, i decided to get a 2005 G35 for just $13k and pay loan of $200 and still enjoy one hell of a performance sedan for half the price and then some more.

I drove focus and fiesta. Its cramped, poor interior quality and engine power is not enough on freeways here. Mazda 3/6, Accord are good family cars. Golf GTI is awesome to drive, but it is priced around $25k which is very expensive imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
US is a paradise for pre-owned cars, I wouldn't really suggest you to go for one. I would stay away from the Focus be is pre owned or new, reliability being a major concern and also the interiors looks tad too cheap.

Again like I said before, fix a budget and then you can ponder over the enormous choices you have here for your budget.
I agree with you 100%.

Last edited by chevelle : 8th October 2011 at 03:51.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 12:43   #482
Senior - BHPian

Wow, dealer markups... didn't know that! Thanks!

Back to "used"
Old 8th October 2011, 15:49   #483
naj
BANNED

Hi!

The Prices of preowned 2010/2011 BMW 3 Series is around 34 k for a milage up to 35k miles. This is in Decatur Il area from the Local BMW outlet.
Is this price ok ?

My bro has just moved there from India and wants to buy his first car. Will the pre owned 3 series be a sensible choice as far as ownership experience goes?
Pls advice!!

Cheers,
Naj
Old 10th October 2011, 23:20   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!

The Prices of preowned 2010/2011 BMW 3 Series is around 34 k for a milage up to 35k miles. This is in Decatur Il area from the Local BMW outlet.
Is this price ok ?

My bro has just moved there from India and wants to buy his first car. Will the pre owned 3 series be a sensible choice as far as ownership experience goes?
Pls advice!!

Cheers,
Naj
Definitely its worth owning the German steed. Typically when you buy from the showrooms, you can carry forward the warranty. BMW usually has a 5 yr warranty on their cars. This takes away majority of the headache on maintenance expenses. Going by what you say, if you buy a 2010 with 30k miles, you are all set to drive tension free until 2015
But Decatur has its fair share of snow during winters, I would suggest to pick x-Drive.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 23:49   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
BMW usually has a 5 yr warranty on their cars. This takes away majority of the headache on maintenance expenses. Going by what you say, if you buy a 2010 with 30k miles, you are all set to drive tension free until 2015
The warranty is for 5 yrs / 50,000 miles, whichever comes earlier.
Old 10th October 2011, 23:59   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
The warranty is for 5 yrs / 50,000 miles, whichever comes earlier.
Ah I just checked.. its 4yrs and 50k miles. This includes even oil changes.
Old 11th October 2011, 00:10   #487
Team-BHP Support

Yes, you're right my mistake (4 yrs / 50k miles).

In this period you get about two oil changes, some new wiper blades, two brake fluid flushes and new cabin + air filter changes.

The dealer will only do oil changes based on the car computer (@ 15k to 20k miles).
If you need additional, you do it yourself or pay extra.

They do cover everything (yes, even brakes) but you usually won't get any new pads because the pads last a long time with regular driving.
[I have 80,000 miles on my car and I'm still on my original pads.]
Old 11th October 2011, 00:33   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Yes, you're right my mistake (4 yrs / 50k miles).

In this period you get about two oil changes, some new wiper blades, two brake fluid flushes and new cabin + air filter changes.

The dealer will only do oil changes based on the car computer (@ 15k to 20k miles).
If you need additional, you do it yourself or pay extra.

They do cover everything (yes, even brakes) but you usually won't get any new pads because the pads last a long time with regular driving.
[I have 80,000 miles on my car and I'm still on my original pads.]
So getting a BMW with warranty isn't much of help?
What is the average maintenance cost you have put in yours since ownership? Does the 3 series require timing belt change at 85k?
Old 11th October 2011, 10:24   #489
naj
BANNED

Great!!
Many thanks to you aah78 and kraft.wagen for your inputs.
And yes, true Decatur is very snowy. I will guide my bro accordingly.

Further, can my bro use his Indian license till he gets his local one?
From other posts I have gathered that our national license is valid for first 30,days.

Thanks once again.
Cheers.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:17   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Further, can my bro use his Indian license till he gets his local one?
From other posts I have gathered that our national license is valid for first 30,days.
Yes, your brother can use his Indian license to drive around. Only thing is that if he purchases a car using the Indian license he would end up paying more on the car insurance money as compared to the US local state license.
Dragonov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 16:34   #491
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonov View Post
Yes, your brother can use his Indian license to drive around. Only thing is that if he purchases a car using the Indian license he would end up paying more on the car insurance money as compared to the US local state license.
Thanks Dragonov !!
That's a very revealing fact. I will take due cognizance of it.
I have heard that one gets something called as IDP FROM THE RTO. Can you throw some light on it ?

Cheers
Old 11th October 2011, 16:54   #492
BHPian

IDP is basically a special license for tourists authorized by United Nations conventions applicable to a host of countries. It is nothing but which states that you do have a license in your native country and can legally drive. Also if you do happen to go to a country i.e US, UK wherein English is the spoken language then you would not neccessarily need the IDP, your Indian license would do for the time being.

But I would still suggest that your brother gets his US license as soon as possible. Saves you a lot of hassle and money.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:05   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Thanks Dragonov !!
That's a very revealing fact. I will take due cognizance of it.
I have heard that one gets something called as IDP FROM THE RTO. Can you throw some light on it ?

Cheers
Yes you can get and IDP or drive with Indian license. But I would suggest that he gets his US license. Its much easier and avoids any extra tension and questions of driving with IDP. Getting license is pretty easy in IL as they dont tell you to parallel park
Also I'm thinking you may need a US Id to get the car registered, and as Dragonov pointed, you can have better price on your insurance with a US license.
Old 21st October 2011, 14:31   #494
Senior - BHPian

Which SUV to buy in US

My BIL wants to purchase an SUV in US. He is looking for comfort, space and driveablity factor. He has shortlisted the following:-

MAZDA CX-9
TOYOTA HIGHLANDER
SUBARU TRIBECA
FORD EXPLORER
CHEVROLET TRAVERSE

Please all bhpians who ahve experience of having driven them or seen them in action or exposed to them in general use kindly advise and give suggestions in helping him choose one of the above.

Thanks.
Old 21st October 2011, 15:21   #495
BHPian

Re: Which SUV to buy in US

Check out this link.Will give you a fair idea of whats on offer, price and also detailed reviews are present.

Top-Ranked Cars and Trucks | U.S. News Best Cars

Amongst the car you have shortlisted, the highlander. My cousin owns one, and he just loves it.

Also check out the 2012 GMC acadia. The best looking beast if I may !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks