Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2015, 21:43   #4591
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I complete all my private car sales at a bank and only after the teller has verified with the issuing bank of the check, even for Cashiers Check. The funds have to be transferred right there, before I hand over the papers. I do not trust any other method. I suggest this to all who conduct private car sales.

If you have a unique or high performance vehicle in excellent condition, private sales are the only way to go, with a lot of patience. Forget Carmax, dealers and such. Carmax offered $7k for my pristine Corvette '97 C4 LT4 with 60,000 miles. Sold it to Corvette Forum member for $13K, not to mention I had bought the car for $11.7K and used it for a year. Without the right offer, I simply would not have sold the car, period. If I had more patience, I could have sold the car for at least $15K, for the condition it was in. In fact, lot of the forum members were upset that I was giving the car away. Owners of C4 LT4, no doubt. Oh well.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 23:36   #4592
Senior - BHPian

@vloct - that's a good deal. Use the car and sell it for profit. Win-win.

Actually I too did the same. Bought this Acura for 3500, used for a year and sold for 4200.

And same with my bike (Yamaha warrior) - bought for 4k, had fun with it for a year, sold for 5k

These things can't happen with a dealer or carmax in picture.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 00:31   #4593
BHPian

Hi Guys, I recently moved to the US and am currently located near Hartford, CT. I am looking to buy a car and have narrowed down on the CR-V. But I can't seem to make up my mind on the model and year.

My initial plan was to buy a 2012 or higher LX/EX model with <35k miles on it. However, the prices of a CPO CR-V are very close to a new car and now I am wondering if I should forget about a used car and go for a brand new car!

I am aware of depreciation and how it makes more sense to buy a 2-3 yr old car that has taken most of the depreciation hit. But a difference of <5K dollars on old vs new is making me rethink.

Any thoughts or suggestion?
Old 25th March 2015, 01:02   #4594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
Hi Guys, I recently moved to the US and am currently located near Hartford, CT. I am looking to buy a car and have narrowed down on the CR-V. But I can't seem to make up my mind on the model and year.

My initial plan was to buy a 2012 or higher LX/EX model with <35k miles on it. However, the prices of a CPO CR-V are very close to a new car and now I am wondering if I should forget about a used car and go for a brand new car!

I am aware of depreciation and how it makes more sense to buy a 2-3 yr old car that has taken most of the depreciation hit. But a difference of <5K dollars on old vs new is making me rethink.

Welcome!

Can you post the exact quote you are getting for both new and CPO, so that we can comment on the price accurately.

Generally I agree yes, if you're going for a high-resale-value car like CRV then I would pick a brand new one too. Because, when you sell the brand new one you will recover most of the difference (of course depending on when you sell it).
Old 25th March 2015, 01:02   #4595
BHPian

Quote:

It all depends on how long your stay is in the US. Also, do you plan to keep the same car for a longer duration or do you want to try/own various other makes and models? If you are staying here longer, say 4 years or so, I would suggest you to go for a new one. Who doesn't like the smell of a new car. AFAIK, Honda's don't depreciate much. They do, but the depreciation is not alarming.
Your answers to the above would help us to assist you better.
Old 25th March 2015, 01:27   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Welcome!

Can you post the exact quote you are getting for both new and CPO, so that we can comment on the price accurately.

Generally I agree yes, if you're going for a high-resale-value car like CRV then I would pick a brand new one too. Because, when you sell the brand new one you will recover most of the difference (of course depending on when you sell it).

Well, the 2012 LX is ranging around 19-20k where as a 2015 LX is being quoted at 26. The difference starts reducing as we go higher up the trim level. For eg. the 2012 EX certified is around 22-23k where new is around 28.5. 2012 EX-L is around 26-27 where as new is around 31k.

The price diff is even more slimmer for 2013 used cars and 2014 used is as good as new (perhaps more expensive considering higher financing costs!).

Also, the 2015 car has some major changes including an all new CVT tranny. So, I am thinking new makes more sense... thoughts?
Old 25th March 2015, 01:42   #4597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, the 2012 LX is ranging around 19-20k where as a 2015 LX is being quoted at 26. The difference starts reducing as we go higher up the trim level. For eg. the 2012 EX certified is around 22-23k where new is around 28.5. 2012 EX-L is around 26-27 where as new is around 31k.

The price diff is even more slimmer for 2013 used cars and 2014 used is as good as new (perhaps more expensive considering higher financing costs!).

Also, the 2015 car has some major changes including an all new CVT tranny. So, I am thinking new makes more sense... thoughts?
I agree. What I would do is, try my best luck in bargaining both ends (used and new). And see if you can beat one of them significantly low (like at least 2k lower) than the figures you mentioned.

Also dont forget to cross-shop dealers.

BTW a quick search shows prices slightly less than the prcies you mentioned around the Hartford area. I am seeing LXes around 25K, EX around 27, EXL around 30. I know CRV is a high volume seller but try bargaining a little, deals do happen. Some dealers also take care of your first EMI.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 25th March 2015 at 02:01.
Old 25th March 2015, 13:34   #4598
BHPian

Quote:

Depending on how long you plan to keep the car, you are better off getting a new one. You will probably save few $$ on the pre-owned but buying a new one would be a ideal choice since you want a newer model.

I checked in Truecar, for EX-L the pricing is around 28k new one from Sullivan Honda. Get quote from a few dealers, I guess since its Honda you can consider 5-8% off the MSRP price a good deal
Old 25th March 2015, 19:20   #4599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Given the strong reliability and low cost of ownership record of the CR-V, do you even need CPO? Going regular preowned might take down the price a couple grand? The moment you drive out of the dealer lot, your new car is 15% less in value and in one year about 20 - 25%.

Quote:

The 2015 car has some swanky exterior looks LED lights and the drivetrain from the Accord - try out both cars - YMMV - I don't particularly like CVTs - they don't seem natural and progressive to me. That said, Honda's CVT is supposed to be a very good version.
Old 25th March 2015, 20:44   #4600
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to buy a car and have narrowed down on the CR-V. But I can't seem to make up my mind on the model and year.
If you don't mind going American then Ford Edge is a compelling buy, there are some very good discounts on 2014 Edge Sport and Limited now.
Buddy of mine picked one @31K OTD

Otherwise - I concur with others.
Old 25th March 2015, 21:37   #4601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post

The 2015 car has some swanky exterior looks LED lights and the drivetrain from the Accord - try out both cars - YMMV - I don't particularly like CVTs - they don't seem natural and progressive to me. That said, Honda's CVT is supposed to be a very good version.
Has the size been reduced compared to the earlier version? I observed that the 2015 model looks a lot more compact and a bit shorter. Has there been any compromise on the interior space?
Old 25th March 2015, 21:39   #4602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Has the size been reduced compared to the earlier version? I observed that the 2015 model looks a lot more compact and a bit shorter. Has there been any compromise on the interior space?
In the CR-V? If only, it has grown bigger from previous generation. Other than that, maybe just nip tucked to look more compact - the side profile looks very weird now in the CR-V. It looks like a serious attempt at making usable space by adding a big bulb like shape at the back.
Old 25th March 2015, 21:45   #4603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
In the CR-V? If only, it has grown bigger from previous generation. Other than that, maybe just nip tucked to look more compact - the side profile looks very weird now in the CR-V. It looks like a serious attempt at making usable space by adding a big bulb like shape at the back.
Yup. I was referring to the CR-V. The rear also looks to be inspired by the Volvo XC series.
Old 26th March 2015, 21:33   #4604
BHPian

Anyone with VAG-COM software located in the Midwest?
I have a 2002 Passat GLX V6 that needs a VAG-COM to scan for engine codes thanks to the previous owner putting in an aftermarket radio. I'm situated in Ames, Iowa and dont mind driving upto a 400 mile radius from here to get the engine scanned.

Quote:
Hi Guys, I recently moved to the US and am currently located near Hartford, CT.
Have you considered leasing a 2015 CRV? While you dont actually own the car, if you are a person that likes changing cars every 3 years and who wont exceed the miles limit, I personally feel a lease makes a lot of sense in terms of the amount you end up paying for a brand new car. Only remember you cant really modify it and there are a limited number of miles(usually 30K, but correct me if im wrong) you can drive over your lease period.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th March 2015 at 00:50. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 27th March 2015, 00:44   #4605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentonwheels View Post
Anyone with VAG-COM software located in the Midwest?
Autozone does it for free. Do check out one near you.
ToroRosso is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks