Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2015, 20:57   #4576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Haha. I think everybody has forgotten about the SS

A no cost manual? I thought Automatics have a slightly higher cost than manuals. Funny thing in case of the Challenger SRT is that selecting Manual reduces the price for the transmission but adds a $1000 Gas Guzzler tax Seems the Multi Displacement System with the 8 speed automatics gives enough mileage to avoid the Gas Guzzler tax.
That says a lot about the SS. They should put the Z06 motor on the SS and sell it at 70k - everyone will talk about it then. Legitimate competition to the hellcat. Talking about Hellcats, they are sold out and double sold out - there is a big long waiting list.

And BMW - you can choose manual or auto on 2/3/4 series without any extra payment. Which means you are paying extra for the manual.
Old 17th March 2015, 21:24   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Also, I *think* almost all BMW sedans come with the option of choosing manual transmission. I am not sure how many of these are kept in dealer inventory though.
Nope, Only the 3 & 5 comes with a manual option. 7 manual is not available in the Us.They got that in Europe though.

Some other RWD/AWD exciting sedans (full size) with Manual are Audi A4/A6/A7 & Subaru Legacy's.
Old 17th March 2015, 21:47   #4578
Team-BHP Support

True!

When buying my current car I boldly ticked the manual transmission box on the order form, only to be told that current MY (model year) vehicles were the last to be fitted with a manual transmission and production had already switched over to the next year cycle.

The 535 was selectable with a manual thru MY2014 but lost it for the 2015 models. No 5-Series is offered with a manual anymore.

Other than the Chevy SS, the BMW M3, M5, 3-Series & Audi S4 are the only sedans selectable with a manual now. (Yes, I know a few of the Japanese manufacturers still offer it as well).
Old 17th March 2015, 22:30   #4579
Senior - BHPian

Even on accord sedan the Manual version is available only for 4 cylinder engine & not for V6

The V6 gets a manual only on the Coupe models.
Old 17th March 2015, 22:41   #4580
Senior - BHPian

At least here in Cali, I am seeing a lot of manual transmission cars especially Bimmers and Subarus. Other cars too. Just this morning a Fiat Abarth 500 that parked next to me was manual, and yesterday I saw a Mini with manual.
Old 18th March 2015, 09:10   #4581
BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
That's a lot of miles in a short time. Where all has the PathFinder gone and what all has it seen? Not to scare you, but did you experience any of those dreaded shudders from the transmission? A lot of owners have posted their experience with the 2013 and the 2014 models on Nissan forums as well as on others.

It's been around. Longest trip was Baltimore to Tucson. Before that, did a trip to Maine from Baltimore. After coming here to Tucson, a couple of trips to LA, Grand Canyon , San Diego and regular weekend trips to Phx. Needless to say, I don't fly if don't have to.
No transmission shudders so far, switched to synthetic at 10000. Tires at 40000, brakes around the same time. Running on original battery, leather holding up against Tucson sun.
I did buy extended Nissan warranty, though not at the dealer that sold me the car but from a dealer in Atlanta after shopping around.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 10:13   #4582
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I thought I should share this experience. Last week I was trying to sell my old car on Craigslist, and a few guys called me with really low offers (like half of what I had listed it for).

One of them was very persistent, he started by claiming he was seeing an accident on the carafax. I ran the carfax and told him thats not true, it very clearly says "No accidents reported", and asked him to check the VIN he ran, maybe he had got a digit wrong or something. He immediately became defensive and started begging me for a really low price saying he's a student etc. Of course I didn't agree.

Next day, I got an email saying my craigslist listing had been flagged and removed. I was shocked. A quick google search reveals that anyone can flag anyones post, there is no moderation or customer care to address this to, and if there are enough "flag"s a post will be taken down.

Anyway I re-listed my ad. I was surprised to see very few calls were coming in, compared to when I had posted the ad the first time. I thought something fishy was going on, and then found it: Someone had copied photos from my ad and posted another ad, with the title "BEWARE". In the ad, he claimed that the car had a blown head gasket and the tranny slips. Actually, no one had even looked at my car at this point!

After that, some people (very young people - they looked like students) showed up, tried to take a "test drive" by themselves (which I didn't allow obviously), and they immediately went away. Some other people tried to get me to take a cheque from a bank no one's even heard of.

Anyway at the end of the story: car is sold now for the price I was expecting, despite all this.

But I thought I should share, for people to be aware of some of the cheap and dirty tricks some people pull. Some things to take away:
- Be very careful about who you deal with. If you don't get a good vibe, don't even get into a conversation.
- Insist on cash only
- Don't agree to an online payment or something like that (those transactions can be reversed when a dispute is raised and most companies favor the buyer/sender. You lose your item and you lose your money, its an old trick apparently).
- Stay with the car when a test drive is happening.
- Ask to see the ID of the buyer.
- Don't reveal your residence till the time of the actual transaction (at which time it becomes inevitable, since your address is on the pink slip).
- Before listing on craigslist, try to list it in internal mailing groups in the company you work for & nearby companies.
- Keep a friend or two with you when meeting a stranger.

Wow, who knew selling a car could be so stressful. That too, with a "hot demand" car (y/2000 Acura with just over 100k miles).

Last edited by rajushank84 : 18th March 2015 at 10:16.
rajushank84 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 22:02   #4583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
It's been around. Longest trip was Baltimore to Tucson. Before that, did a trip to Maine from Baltimore. After coming here to Tucson, a couple of trips to LA, Grand Canyon , San Diego and regular weekend trips to Phx. Needless to say, I don't fly if don't have to.
No transmission shudders so far, switched to synthetic at 10000. Tires at 40000, brakes around the same time. Running on original battery, leather holding up against Tucson sun.
I did buy extended Nissan warranty, though not at the dealer that sold me the car but from a dealer in Atlanta after shopping around.
All these trips must have been fun Doctor saab. The leather looks to be of high quality. Have you changes the transmission fluid yet? Because the manual suggests it should be changed @ 60k miles. Regarding the extended warranty, the dealer, rather the Finance Manager at the dealership suggested me to buy it as this car has so many electrical components. He did not hard press me though. He told me even he owns a 2013 PF and he had bought the extended warranty and it came in handy a couple of times. Once the memory seats motor stopped working and the other time, the AC power outlet blew out. This made me think to get the warranty but I stayed away from it at the time of purchase. Since I can buy it anytime later, I thought it would be wise to consult my folks here at TBhp. He quoted a price of $3200 for the warranty.
I have a few questions as of now. Please answer those for me
  1. How much did the extended warranty cost you and is it really necessary to have one?
  2. Can I buy it just at the time when the manufacturer warranty is about to get over?
  3. I'm thinking of buying the WeatherTech floor mats. Which one's do you use? I currently have the mats from the dealer which are carpet one's. I also added Michelin mats which I bought from Advance Auto Parts. Will these hold good or should I go for the WeatherTech? The only thing with these mats is that they are a bit expensive ($189 for all rows, cargo not included).
  4. And finally, where is the Aux port located? I see the three ports which are for the home entertainment system inside the center console. Do I need to use some kinda converter?
Old 19th March 2015, 00:33   #4584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Some things to take away:
- Be very careful about who you deal with. If you don't get a good vibe, don't even get into a conversation.
- Insist on cash only
- Don't agree to an online payment or something like that (those transactions can be reversed when a dispute is raised and most companies favor the buyer/sender. You lose your item and you lose your money, its an old trick apparently).
- Don't reveal your residence till the time of the actual transaction (at which time it becomes inevitable, since your address is on the pink slip).
- Before listing on craigslist, try to list it in internal mailing groups in the company you work for & nearby companies.
These are very good points to be kept in mind. Thanks for sharing. I too ran into some weird people while selling my 2003 Maxima. One was unwilling to give his ID to me while taking a test drive. He said when you are accompanying me for the drive, why do you need to keep my ID with you. I said, if you bang it into something and then simply runaway, I would need it to get out of the situation. He then started preaching Trust & Humanity and in the end said he didn't have more than 500 bucks each month to spend. He asked me if he could pay me monthly, as one does to the bank.

You never know what kind of people they would turn out be so it's better to be safe than being Sorry!
Old 19th March 2015, 01:36   #4585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, who knew selling a car could be so stressful. That too, with a "hot demand" car (y/2000 Acura with just over 100k miles).
This is outright creepy. I feel it must have been a dealer/agent/mechanic who wanted to do a quick flip on your car. Those folks do exist!

Meet the person in a common area, most safest is inside a bank! The easiest and hassle free way to sell is carmax. Takes a couple of hours but atleast they dont try to kill you!

Maddy
Old 19th March 2015, 02:21   #4586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I thought I should share this experience. Last week I was trying to sell my old car on Craigslist, and a few guys called me with really low offers (like half of what I had listed it for).

- Insist on cash only
wow! That was something. You never know who you will run into on CL. There are a lot of creeps and criminals hanging out there. There have been kidnappings and murders on car sales of people who posted on CL. So it is advisable to be safe and well planned. I remember helping out a friend to sell his car - met a couple of people who we really didn't want to sell the car to. But eventually found a good person who bought the car eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This is outright creepy. I feel it must have been a dealer/agent/mechanic who wanted to do a quick flip on your car. Those folks do exist!

Meet the person in a common area, most safest is inside a bank! The easiest and hassle free way to sell is carmax. Takes a couple of hours but atleast they dont try to kill you!

Maddy
Or it could just be some random person who does car flipping as full time profession - lowballing and highballing are part of their game plan.

I have sold my car to carmax once - good experience with them.

Another idea could be spread the message in your networks, you might run into some or the other person who needs a car. My friend gave away a car to his team member for free - if he had to sell it, he had to put on new tires. The guy who got the car from him just bought tires and has used the car for almost a year now.
Old 19th March 2015, 05:13   #4587
Senior - BHPian

Yes it was very creepy.
One more thing, we should never depend on craigslist alone to sell. Autotrader takes 50 to 100 bucks depending on the type of ad, and generates a lot of calls. I had good experience with it one other time.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 18:21   #4588
BHPian

Well, I sold my car through craigslist. And this was a $14k car. Got 2k more than what carmax offered.

I even accepted a cheque from the seller. I did not sign the title till the cheque cleared.
It is not that all craigslist buyers are scammers.
Jomz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 20:46   #4589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
I even accepted a cheque from the seller. I did not sign the title till the cheque cleared.
Good practice. I never sold or bought a car through Craiglist but we sold of a lot of other stuff before we moved from Kansas City to Delhi. From pool tables, washing machines, cutlery, tools etc. And the number of nutcases responding to our adds outnumbered the serious buyers by a considerable margin.

You quickly learn the tell tales. Nobody that texted me, bought anything. Only people that actually called. As soon as they said they wanted to buy, but could not pick it up till a week later, they were most likely phoney. Its an old trick, get the seller to hold the item, then dont call back and have a friend call and offer a lower price.

So my policy was always, whoever shows up first with ready cash gets it.
I made one exception for a lady, who claimed to be a nurse and was working night shifts and claimed it was impossible to come and pick it up until four days later. She sounded genuine, so I told her I would keep it and sure enough four days later she showed up, very anxious whether I still had the item and very happy when I still did.

Live and learn.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 23:47   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Well, I sold my car through craigslist. And this was a $14k car. Got 2k more than what carmax offered.

Of course. Actually I ended up selling even this car to another craigslist buyer only. There's no reason we should let a few scammers scare us away from a popular service.

And yes the price I sold for, I could've never got from carmax or any dealer.

I don't accept checks because they can bounce, but one other time I accepted a cashier's check from a major bank. Forged cashiers checks do happen, so I went with the buyer to a bank when he took out the cashiers check and deposted it immediately into my account. And then did the title transfer.

I wouldn't suggest taking a general check. Unless its from a known person or you are sure about the person from your personal judgment (based on who they know, where they are working and how they come across etc).
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks