Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2015, 08:22   #4546
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am located in Sidney, Ohio which is yes around 1.5 Hours from Columbus. Most Indian colleagues here from my company have purchased from same dealer. Please check the below URL of that dealer.

http://www.columbuspowersports.com/

I won't be able to buy car immediately as I have to sort out loan and finances and then only I can proceed towards buying one. But yes the target is to buy in 1 Month if possible.
As others have also mentioned, both cars are the best sellers in US market but boring to drive. Those car are like the faithful servants who will go on with their chores day after day without any complaints

Very minimum maintenance would be required.
However check the carfax history and service history before going forward.

If you want something fun to drive go for BMW, Audi which one will only dream to drive in India. However in US they are much more affordable.
Old 11th March 2015, 08:45   #4547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Personally, I'd pick an Accord over a Camry. I somehow find Camry really boring to drive. And for me, the interiors also look better in an Accord !!
I think the 2011/12 Accord was also quite the boat in terms of handling and driving. They made it a lot better with the 2013 redesign. But yes, the interiors on the Accord were better than the Camry, and I think a little bit roomier too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
If you want something fun to drive go for BMW, Audi which one will only dream to drive in India. However in US they are much more affordable.
Caveat is that for 15000$ you are looking at a fairly old BMW or Audi, which could also mean they are at that age where you can expect to spend some $ on upkeep. It may or may not happen, but you ought to be prepared to spend according to a 40 - 50k car vs a 20-25k car.
Old 11th March 2015, 09:03   #4548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think the 2011/12 Accord was also quite the boat in terms of handling and driving. They made it a lot better with the 2013 redesign. But yes, the interiors on the Accord were better than the Camry, and I think a little bit roomier too.
+1. But I thought Accord was a little better. Coming to think of it, one should also look at the Altima 3.5 of the same vintage. It is better to drive than the other two. My 2.5 is also nice to drive. Not a great handler, but it is really predictable around corners compared to the other two. And being another Japanese biggie, the maintenance is also on the lower side ! But the interiors of a 2011 Altima will not excite you at all.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 11th March 2015 at 09:10.
Old 12th March 2015, 02:37   #4549
BHPian

Accord is definitely better than Camry and Altima (Altima feels really like an inflated boat). I remember my initial days in the US when I was in the same situation and was debating b/n Accord and Camry. Did 2 test drives on Camry. When I drove the first one, it had a boat feel + I could feel a dely in throttle response which totally takes away the fun in driving. I thought it could be some issue particular to that car I am driving. Drove the second and felt the exact same and I took it off my list. Accord fared better. But eventually I ended up buying a relatively newer Civic.

After a few years, I upgraded to a brand new 2012 Accord coupe and when I compared that with same year model Camry and Altima, its nostalgia all over again. 2013 Accord is even better, but I stopped checking out Camrys by then Well, to cut the story short, I own a Subaru Forester now. Growing family needs. But this is a car and brand I am sure I will keep for a long time.
Old 12th March 2015, 05:33   #4550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I'd pick an Accord over a Camry. I somehow find Camry really boring to drive. And for me, the interiors also look better in an Accord !!
Totally agree with this. Accord feels much better to drive than Camry/Altima.

And Mazda6 & Legacy feel even better than Accord.
Old 12th March 2015, 06:29   #4551
BHPian

Oooh ya. Legacy and Mazda 6 are awesome cars ! He has a lot of choices within the Japs of that vintage. :thumbup:
Old 13th March 2015, 02:34   #4552
BHPian

Quote:
Good choice buddy! It truly feels much more expensive than it is. There was some trouble with leather seats - guess MB Tex works out better that way.

The new Pilot if you can wait. Though it looks less distinctive than before, I have a feeling that Honda will come up with a car that would have a lot of aces up its sleeve. I personally don't like the CVT on the pathfinder. You can also look at the the Santa Fe 3 row version - quite a good car.

+1 to that.

Bought the 2015 PathFinder Magnetic Black yesterday. Its a Platinum 4wd variant with Charcoal interiors. Checked the Santa Fe upon your suggestion but the dealer experience wasn't good. A couple of them from a private party were not in good shape hence dropped it off my list.
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 18:55   #4553
BHPian

Ok so yesterday I came home with a colleague who has 2012 Camry. I had seen that the Camry had been redesigned in 2012 and interiors also changed, touchscreen and all. The one I sat in was the LE version and had a touchscreen but no navigation in that.
Now I don't know if the seat was all the way forward or so but I felt a little cramped in the camry.
I had sat in my manager's Accord, not sure the year but was pretty much 2011 or more and it felt more spacious and comfortable.
I was initially more inclined towards camry but for some reason I am getting inclined towards accord now.
Has there been any major or drastic interior changes in the accord in 2011 or 2012 ?
Basically should I go for a 2012 over 2011 or if 2011 is available for little less money, I should go for that ?
I am planning to anyways go with colleague to the dealer's place tomorrow to have a feel of the cars available with him.
Old 13th March 2015, 19:04   #4554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Bought the 2015 PathFinder Magnetic Black yesterday. Its a Platinum 4wd variant with Charcoal interiors. Checked the Santa Fe upon your suggestion but the dealer experience wasn't good. A couple of them from a private party were not in good shape hence dropped it off my list.
Congratulations !! And hellooo, where are the pics ?

Quote:
Ok so yesterday I came home with a colleague who has 2012 Camry. I had seen that the Camry had been redesigned in 2012 and interiors also changed, touchscreen and all. The one I sat in was the LE version and had a touchscreen but no navigation in that.
Now I don't know if the seat was all the way forward or so but I felt a little cramped in the camry.
I had sat in my manager's Accord, not sure the year but was pretty much 2011 or more and it felt more spacious and comfortable.
I was initially more inclined towards camry but for some reason I am getting inclined towards accord now.
Has there been any major or drastic interior changes in the accord in 2011 or 2012 ?
Basically should I go for a 2012 over 2011 or if 2011 is available for little less money, I should go for that ?
I am planning to anyways go with colleague to the dealer's place tomorrow to have a feel of the cars available with him.
The newer, the better ! I'd say, go ahead with Accord. Personally, I really really don't like the Camry. There were no major changes in interior for the Accords between 2011 and 2012 models. But a newer car will always attract less maintenance costs. So if budget permits, go for the newer one available. (Unless you are getting a 2011 car for a steal)

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 13th March 2015 at 19:20.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 19:12   #4555
BHPian

Quote:

The newer, the better ! I'd say, go ahead with Accord. Personally, I really really don't like the Camry. There were no major changes in interior for the Accords between 2011 and 2012 models. But a newer car will always attract less maintenance costs. So if budget permits, go for the never one available. (Unless you are getting a 2011 car for a steal)
The difference in the 2011 and 2012 (assume same mileage) would be like $650 or so. You may check the link I mentioned in one of the above posts for the dealer's website.
Old 13th March 2015, 19:27   #4556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Congratulations! Pictures are due.

Btw, Vehicle was good, dealer experience not?
Quote:
There are no drastic updates to 2012 from 2011. 2013 was a new model, so that has bigger differences. Personally I would pick the Accord. Both are excellent choices though - roomy, comfortable, efficient, reliable and the like. No drama and no fun however . That said, you should drive the cars that are available at the dealer, sit in all the seats, adjust them etc to really know what works best for you. Try out the child seat also if you like to - just to know what amount of space you have. Often passenger seats are slid forward just a bit to account for a baby seat in the back.
Old 13th March 2015, 21:32   #4557
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you DieselAddikt. Here are the pictures for you & for everyone These were shot using the phone camera so excuse me for the quality. A detailed photo shoot of the Beast (i named it so) will be coming soon.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0016.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0017.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0018.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imag0019.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img20150302wa0067.jpg

Quote:

I liked the SantaFe for everything. Maybe my liking was so evident that the dealer thought I would take it no matter what. When I asked for a free oil change and car wash options, he was like "You are buying an expensive car, can't you afford an oil change or a wash?" This pissed me off and I told him upfront that with this attitude, he would never be able to clear off his inventory. I visited another dealership but received the same treatment when trying to negotiate. I later realized that both these dealerships belonged to the same owner and hence the attitude.

On the contrary, the Nissan dealer (Martin Nissan) was a true professional. He also gave me an additional 1 year SiriusXM subscription (default is 3 months) when he came to know that it was my first wedding anniversary. A lifetime free oil change and free car washes were already a part of the deal.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th March 2015 at 23:46. Reason: Quotes fixed. Posts merged.
AstaAddict is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 00:18   #4558
BHPian

Good car Sirji. The only thing I don't like about it is the 20 inch wheel design. But that is just me. Post a few pictures of the interiors as well. The Almond Leather or the Charcoal Leather ?

How is it to drive ? does it feel really top heavy or is everything well controlled ? A certain amount of body roll is a given on such huge cars, but apart from that, how comfortable is the drive ? And how about the new Xtronic CVT ? Too many questions, I know. Answer them when you get time.

Drive safe ! And by the way, do you still have snow ?
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 00:40   #4559
BHPian

Quote:
Good car Sirji. The only thing I don't like about it is the 20 inch wheel design. But that is just me. Post a few pictures of the interiors as well. The Almond Leather or the Charcoal Leather ?

How is it to drive ? does it feel really top heavy or is everything well controlled ? A certain amount of body roll is a given on such huge cars, but apart from that, how comfortable is the drive ? And how about the new Xtronic CVT ? Too many questions, I know. Answer them when you get time.

Drive safe ! And by the way, do you still have snow ?
Thanks Sirji! You don't like the design of the wheels or the size(20 inch)? If you ask me, I would say they are good but not gooooood. The interiors are charcoal leather. Will click pics of the in & out this weekend and will post soon.

It drives easy. It is not a hoot though. My wife took it to her workplace and found it easy to drive(she is just 5 feet tall). According to her, the car feels BIG but not big enough to be difficult to handle. I too found it pretty easy. Oodles of space & comfort, just as I desired. The Bose premium surround sound with 13 speakers is pretty good. Body roll was quite evident when I was taking an exit @ 45 mph. The 2015 PF CVT is equipped with a D-Shift Logic which mimics real gear shifts. To be honest, I found a difference in the transmissions of the 2015 & and the 2014, 2013 PF's. I drove all three back to back and found the 2015 better. All three had a mileage of 5000 to 8000 miles on them. This was when I did not know about the D-Shift thingy. Later when I went home and did some google digging, I found the answer.

The SNOW....not anymore. It just lasted for that day when the Beast arrived!

A detailed review will be out soon. Work is taking a toll these days

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th March 2015 at 02:29. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, thanks
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2015, 01:16   #4560
Senior - BHPian

Congrats, @AstaAddict! Nice SUV, it has clean elegant lines.

Quote:

There are no drastic updates to 2012 from 2011. 2013 was a new model, so that has bigger differences. Personally I would pick the Accord. Both are excellent choices though - roomy, comfortable, efficient, reliable and the like. No drama and no fun however . That said, you should drive the cars that are available at the dealer, sit in all the seats, adjust them etc to really know what works best for you. Try out the child seat also if you like to - just to know what amount of space you have. Often passenger seats are slid forward just a bit to account for a baby seat in the back.
Personally I don't get what anyone sees in Camry over Accord. The only good thing with Camry is that it will (probably) run for 20 years without any problems, but then so will Accord. Other than that, I am struggling to see anything particularly good about it - all I see is a "nothing wrong with it" car. The Accord on the other hand gives you a good feeling about the interior, especially the dashboard
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks