Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2015, 01:23   #4516
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
AstaAddict, what is your budget and what size are your requirements? Strictly suv or open to minivan too, strictly 7 seater or considering smaller ones?
I answered vineethvazhayil who had the same question. Thank you for asking! While I was doing so, got a call from one of the dealers whose Pathfinder I test drove last week. It is a 2015 Black Platinum AWD variant(not hybrid) which was driven by the dealership owner's wife for 3800 miles. He had quoted a base price of $38500 last week but after me negotiating and walking out of the showroom, is ready to offer it to me for $37100. He is also offering free lifetime oil & oil filter changes with a free wash whenever I'm in the vicinity. The same variant for a brand new car has a sticker price of $39850 in TrueCar whereas dealers across are quoting $40000 & above. What do you think about this offer?
Old 7th March 2015, 01:30   #4517
BHPian

Thanks infotech58.

I am buying one (more than 50% financed). And yes, if you consider the MSRP, there was a huge discount. But from what I understood, this is what they usually sell it for. Negotiated with a few dealers in a 100 mile vicinity and chose one that I felt was good for me.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:07   #4518
Senior - BHPian

I have the 2011 MDX but I really like the new Pilot, atleast whatever i have seen so far of it. Pilot always had better room in the back over MDX & the new one seems to be loaded with Tech as well.

So if I was looking for one today I would have definitely considered the new Pilot.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:12   #4519
Senior - BHPian

Is the 3rd row really of any use in SUVs like Pilot, Pathfinder and Highlander? When I had test driven them, the third row was barely usable for anyone except kids.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:22   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Is the 3rd row really of any use in SUVs like Pilot, Pathfinder and Highlander? When I had test driven them, the third row was barely usable for anyone except kids.
The 3rd row is useful within City limits where the person(s) sitting knows that it would be a short commute. Instead of taking out two cars, it makes sense to travel in one & be together. When you need more cargo, just fold them down. On a long trip, even if it lasts for a couple of hours, it is a strict no, even for small size adults. The claustrophobic feeling just kills the fun of travelling.
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 03:48   #4521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
True that on the Highlander. The Pilot has better rear room than most competition - Honda has magical interior packaging skills. The GM Lambda trio has real third row seats with loads of room. But they are bulky and ponderous. Like I said earlier, if you really have to use third rows regularly, get a minivan.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 05:51   #4522
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstaAddict View Post
Passengers in the third row will not be frequent but there will be, occasionally. I don't have kids as I'm a newly wed but parents would be visiting once or twice a year.
With similar considerations, I test drove the MDX, Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, Mazda CX-9 and Kia Sorrento. I ended up buying the CX-9. I love every bit of it. Top reasons - The small steering wheel gives the feel of a compact sporty car, it does have lot more features for the same OTD price compared to other Japs. Third row seating is very comfortable, both my kids are above 5 feet tall, and my dog is 80lbs. Even with kids seated in the third row there is room for my dog behind the third row. Or, I could fit a large suitcase behind the third row.
The next favorite car was the MDX, I ended up not buying it mainly because of interior space (perception), and cost. (was $6K more)

Today, my favorite 7 seater is Infiniti QX60, I would recommend a test drive in a heartbeat.

Last edited by prasadee : 7th March 2015 at 05:53.
Old 7th March 2015, 19:17   #4523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
With similar considerations, I test drove the MDX, Pilot, Highlander, Pathfinder, Mazda CX-9 and Kia Sorrento. I ended up buying the CX-9.
The CX-9 is very dated. That is my biggest reason to not look at that at all. Is there a new version coming soon? I think the current one is 8+ year old design. Just like the Volvo XC90 it is a bit long in the tooth in the automotive cycle. But I agree that it has fairly good accommodations in the third row.

The Infiniti QX60 is basically a guised up Pathfinder. Looks a little different, may have some features you cannot get on the Nissan, but even has the same powertrain. In the end you are paying extra for the badge if you can configure the features you want in both.
Old 8th March 2015, 01:21   #4524
BHPian

CX-9 all the way, if you are even least bit interested in driving dynamics - nothing else even comes close, tons of standard equipment etc., not to say good looking. Besides, they have a 2015 model that is new although, I think just the body style is different. If the brand name is a more important consideration, well good luck.

The previous CX-9 model which I bought, ran from I believe 2010-'14. Mine is a fully loaded Grand Sport AWD bought new in 2011 and if I had to get all the standard equipment I got, including the 20" wheels, I would have been looking at $10K or more at that time for a three row SUV from other manufacturers. Simply has been an excellent vehicle and still looks better than most SUVs I see on the road.

Besides the dealer keeps tempting me with good offers. Selling my CX-9 is not even a consideration. Dated, in what way exactly? Give it a test drive, you might be surprised.
Old 8th March 2015, 06:30   #4525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
CX-9 all the way, if you are even least bit interested in driving dynamics - nothing else even comes close, tons of standard equipment etc., not to say good looking. Besides, they have a 2015 model that is new although, I think just the body style is different. If the brand name is a more important consideration, well good luck.

The previous CX-9 model which I bought, ran from I believe 2010-'14. Mine is a fully loaded Grand Sport AWD bought new in 2011 and if I had to get all the standard equipment I got, including the 20" wheels, I would have been looking at $10K or more at that time for a three row SUV from other manufacturers. Simply has been an excellent vehicle and still looks better than most SUVs I see on the road.

Besides the dealer keeps tempting me with good offers. Selling my CX-9 is not even a consideration. Dated, in what way exactly? Give it a test drive, you might be surprised.
2015 is not a new model - it is just a refresh. The interior design is dated - just that the infotainment system has been given an update. Most competition (except the GM triplets), have had significant redesign in the last 2-3 years, so they feel ages newer. The other area where the old design pulls the CX-9 back is safety tech and crash scores. Here is the 2015 CX-9's test scores from IIHS - 2015 CX-9 . Look at a pathfinder test scores for reference. IIHS - Pathfinder. I'm not sure what their schedule for a redesign is, but safety, interior design and fuel efficiency must be top items that Mazda should focus on. They have the driving dynamics and space pretty much nailed. I don't think there are any midsize three row crossovers that offer anything worth mentioning in driving dynamics at all, except maybe the MDX.
Old 8th March 2015, 08:20   #4526
BHPian

It's all great but, we're talking about a car and driving fun and standard equipment is still important. In that, I didn't find anything even remotely close to the Mazda, for the prize of $36K that I paid in 2011. There were a couple of years there when it was selected as the best SUV/CUV, not that it was a consideration of me. Everything else was just so damn boring to drive, most of the others felt like drunken boats, really.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 11:19   #4527
BHPian

Thank you vineethvazhayil, rajushank84, infotech58, VLOCT and kraft.wagen for helping me explore all the options before deciding on the car. We are awesome as a forum !

My car was finally delivered on Friday and I am loving every bit of it. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-modified.jpg  

DieselAddikt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 11:24   #4528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Thank you vineethvazhayil, rajushank84, infotech58, VLOCT and kraft.wagen for helping me explore all the options before deciding on the car. We are awesome as a forum !

My car was finally delivered on Friday and I am loving every bit of it. Here is a pic.
Looks stunning!! Neighbors envy I'm sure Congratulations and safe driving.
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 18:43   #4529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
It's all great but, we're talking about a car and driving fun and standard equipment is still important. In that, I didn't find anything even remotely close to the Mazda, for the prize of $36K that I paid in 2011.
The CX9 truly handles like a car. It's steering response is surprisingly sharp! And that is why I couldn't buy it. The third row felt every bit of steering inputs. But that has not stopped me from recommending Mazda to anyone! My friend recently bought a CX5 and he couldn't be happier at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Congratulations! The car is a stunner!
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 01:54   #4530
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car @DieselAddikt! Congrats on getting a truly classy car.

You guys' comments on the CX9 make me curious to test drive one. I am a sedan and handling person, and a huge fan of Mazda 3 and 6 (especially the discontinued Mazda6 v6) so +1 to the idea that newer isn't always better . The new 3 and 6 are nice but the old ones had great steering feel. If the cx9 has the same engine and steering as the old mazda6 v6, I can see why it would be the best driving suv around in the segment.

But then.. So far I personally despise all SUVs because I've never been impressed by any suvs handling. Even an Audi q5 that I drove from San Jose to LA didn't impress me, somehow they all give a feeling of being top heavy and ready to flip. Not sure if it's in my mind or I'm taking corners too fast. I'm curious to see if the cx9 is better than that . If it is, it might become my first suv.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 9th March 2015 at 01:58.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks