Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 02:30   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a car in USA. New, used, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranellored View Post
Thanks for the advice.
I've checked out KBB and it says that a good price from a private party for such a car with all the options is about 13k for a car in good condition.
Fair condition is about 12500.

The dealers around my place are asking for about 14000 for a similar model.

I was checking out the rx8 forums (rx8club in particular) and a lot of people there seem to think its a good price, especially for a car in this area.
I'm thinking of negotiating a deal for 10000$
But before that I would like to get the car checked at the local mazda dealer.

Oh yes, its a manual transmission and it has about 70000 miles on it.

I've looked around for a Honda S2000 but the cheapest one I found was a 2001 model for about 14k from a dealer. I've scoured craigslist, autotrader and a local paper too but no luck. Maybe i'm being a little impatient but my heart is pretty much set on the RX8
As a yardstick, i always take $3000-$4000 off dealer's quoted price and atleast $2000-$3000 private party from kbb. As a rule, you always pay less than kbb's good price. Excellent is never an option in private sale since no car is in excellent state. If good option says $12500, good price to pay would be between $10,000-$11500. I wouldn't pay more than that. Not worth it.

S2000 are available very less in market. Looks like not many owners wanna part with s2000, which imo is legendary and much better than miata and rx8.

good luck with rx8 acquisition. I am soon gonna get a 350z/370z. Just waiting for oct-nov. You can look at this too. I drove this a couple of days back and i became a fan of this car. It is awesome to drive and a 2007-2008 auto 350z can be had for $17000 from a dealer. Sticks are $1500 less.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:02   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Regarding this, my insurance company - Geico did consider my Indian driving experience. So make sure you bring it with you.
Interesting, Even I have taken from Geico, but they refused to accept my Indian license.
Quote:
S2000 are available very less in market. Looks like not many owners wanna part with s2000, which imo is legendary and much better than miata and rx8.

good luck with rx8 acquisition. I am soon gonna get a 350z/370z. Just waiting for oct-nov. You can look at this too. I drove this a couple of days back and i became a fan of this car. It is awesome to drive and a 2007-2008 auto 350z can be had for $17000 from a dealer. Sticks are $1500 less.
350/70 Z are amazing cars and are available in the market in plenty when compared to S2000.
I would suggest you have a look at Toyota MR2, 140bhp mid engine, these are again not that easy to find.
Old 16th August 2011, 22:26   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Interesting, Even I have taken from Geico, but they refused to accept my Indian license.

350/70 Z are amazing cars and are available in the market in plenty when compared to S2000.
I would suggest you have a look at Toyota MR2, 140bhp mid engine, these are again not that easy to find.
MR2 doesn't strike a cord with me. It is not as good to drive as 350z. I want either s2000 or 350z. not many s2000 available with automatic. I need auto because it will be driven by my better half too.

I am in two minds, whether to go for convertible or get the coupe. I like coupe more but supreme court's order is convertible. Lets see how it goes.
Old 16th August 2011, 23:38   #439
BHPian

Quote:
MR2 doesn't strike a cord with me. It is not as good to drive as 350z. I want either s2000 or 350z. not many s2000 available with automatic. I need auto because it will be driven by my better half too.

I am in two minds, whether to go for convertible or get the coupe. I like coupe more but supreme court's order is convertible. Lets see how it goes.
Being in CA, convertibles are for sure fun

BTW are you considering Nismo
Old 17th August 2011, 00:06   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed, but the driving experience goes down when the top goes down

Not a nismo, its too expensive. Since aftermarket support is good, i see myself doing upgrades later on once I am done with them.

You know what, corvette is also coming into picture, found a couple of pieces - a 2002 for $16k and a 2004 for $20k. Both are in same ball park as 350z. So lets see which one wins.

Need to sit and decide if i should get the v8 or not considering i will be doing atleast 50 miles a day. Don't know how practical is the corvette.
Old 17th August 2011, 01:54   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, but the driving experience goes down when the top goes down

Not a nismo, its too expensive. Since aftermarket support is good, i see myself doing upgrades later on once I am done with them.

You know what, corvette is also coming into picture, found a couple of pieces - a 2002 for $16k and a 2004 for $20k. Both are in same ball park as 350z. So lets see which one wins.

Need to sit and decide if i should get the v8 or not considering i will be doing atleast 50 miles a day. Don't know how practical is the corvette.
lol convertibles are for just pleasure drives, 0 adrenaline :(

Corvette is a awesome buy, but for a daily drive I would suggest to stay away.
Old 17th August 2011, 02:03   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lol convertibles are for just pleasure drives, 0 adrenaline :(

Corvette is a awesome buy, but for a daily drive I would suggest to stay away.
can you please give reasons why to stay away?

I will be coming off a 98 camry, so fuel economy will hurt a lot in $4/gallon days. Apart from fuel economy, what else could be hindrance?
Old 17th August 2011, 02:28   #443
BHPian

Quote:
can you please give reasons why to stay away?

I will be coming off a 98 camry, so fuel economy will hurt a lot in $4/gallon days. Apart from fuel economy, what else could be hindrance?
Yes primarily it will be the fuel economy. Probably you can expect around 16~18mpg provided its kept stock. Not sure if it snows in your parts, its not the machine that you would want to invest on and keep it in for winters. Also if its your only ride, you are going to be looking for rentals during snow.

In terms of maintenance, I don't see any issues with Corvette being your daily drive. Somehow it sits in my mind, exotics are not daily drivers

But Yes i do know a friend who drives it to work everyday for the past 5yrs, but he lives in SoCal and drives about 10miles a day
Old 17th August 2011, 02:37   #444
BHPian

Quote:

Ya, have seen a lot of people driving around in their convertible with the top open.

These people love the sun.
Old 17th August 2011, 03:02   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes primarily it will be the fuel economy. Probably you can expect around 16~18mpg provided its kept stock. Not sure if it snows in your parts, its not the machine that you would want to invest on and keep it in for winters. Also if its your only ride, you are going to be looking for rentals during snow.

In terms of maintenance, I don't see any issues with Corvette being your daily drive. Somehow it sits in my mind, exotics are not daily drivers

But Yes i do know a friend who drives it to work everyday for the past 5yrs, but he lives in SoCal and drives about 10miles a day
Best thing of sacramento is, there is no snow.

Also i will have camry too. My drive is 40 miles to work and here and there makes it 50 miles a day. i am only worried about its maintenance and fuel economy, after all its the pre-recession Chevrolet, if you know what i mean. It will be stock for atleast a year before i can even think of any performance upgrades.

i am going today to look at a corvette and sl500. lets see how it goes. i am sure i will fall in love with these 2, but lets see which one is attractive enough to force me put down a check.
Old 17th August 2011, 03:23   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Best thing of sacramento is, there is no snow.

Also i will have camry too. My drive is 40 miles to work and here and there makes it 50 miles a day. i am only worried about its maintenance and fuel economy, after all its the pre-recession Chevrolet, if you know what i mean. It will be stock for atleast a year before i can even think of any performance upgrades.

i am going today to look at a corvette and sl500. lets see how it goes. i am sure i will fall in love with these 2, but lets see which one is attractive enough to force me put down a check.
Ah thats nice, I was thinking North Cali gets snow
Do let us know how you like the 2 beasts, but in terms of maintenance Corvette will be easy on you compared to sl any day

just FYI, I have a person in my office selling SL500 priced at $22500
And yea this is in Chicago
Quote:
2000 Mercedes Benz SL500 Convertible Hard top and convertible for year 'round fun. Stored every winter and garage kept in the summer. Only 39,000 miles. Recently detailed. In perfect condition. Can be seen in Northfield.
Old 17th August 2011, 04:33   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah thats nice, I was thinking North Cali gets snow
Do let us know how you like the 2 beasts, but in terms of maintenance Corvette will be easy on you compared to sl any day

just FYI, I have a person in my office selling SL500 priced at $22500
And yea this is in Chicago
This SL500 is a 1999 model, going for $16k from dealer.
Old 18th August 2011, 03:22   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just drove both v8 beasts yesterday.

Man, i am blown away. Corvette is superb, a perfect sports car, took some turns at 60mph and it was superb. Wish interior was decent. Really felt cheap inside (no offense to owners, i could be one soon too).

SL500 was much better in terms of overall driving experience. A real GT in my eyes. Whatta car!! And that power, pushed me back in the seat with such real force. Didn't even blink an eye while going over uneven roads. Just superb composure at high speeds. Didn't even knew i was doing 70 mph on a 45 mph route.

I am getting 2001 SL500 for $20k and corvette - a 2002 model for $17k. I can't make up my mind. Should i splurge and get this $15-$17 mpg cars so get a 350z or G35 and feel less guilty and less bankrupt.
Old 18th August 2011, 03:32   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Just drove both v8 beasts yesterday.

Man, i am blown away. Corvette is superb, a perfect sports car, took some turns at 60mph and it was superb. Wish interior was decent. Really felt cheap inside (no offense to owners, i could be one soon too).

SL500 was much better in terms of overall driving experience. A real GT in my eyes. Whatta car!! And that power, pushed me back in the seat with such real force. Didn't even blink an eye while going over uneven roads. Just superb composure at high speeds. Didn't even knew i was doing 70 mph on a 45 mph route.

I am getting 2001 SL500 for $20k and corvette - a 2002 model for $17k. I can't make up my mind. Should i splurge and get this $15-$17 mpg cars so get a 350z or G35 and feel less guilty and less bankrupt.
I would have been surprised if you didn't enjoy the adrenaline from both the V8s

What are the miles on both the cars? It really depends on your need, owning Corvette or SL500 is definitely a pride, whilst 350z and g35s are pretty common.

Again in terms of maintenance German cars rip you, unless they are under warranty you carry a risk of investing on service. I contemplate GMs will be comparatively cheaper.

And do you plan to take them to the tracks? I feel the best of the car can be achieved at higher speeds and maneuvering chicanes. If you are a planning to hit the tracks often, then corvette is a great choice.
Old 18th August 2011, 03:55   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have been surprised if you didn't enjoy the adrenaline from both the V8s

What are the miles on both the cars? It really depends on your need, owning Corvette or SL500 is definitely a pride, whilst 350z and g35s are pretty common.

Again in terms of maintenance German cars rip you, unless they are under warranty you carry a risk of investing on service. I contemplate GMs will be comparatively cheaper.

And do you plan to take them to the tracks? I feel the best of the car can be achieved at higher speeds and maneuvering chicanes. If you are a planning to hit the tracks often, then corvette is a great choice.
The 2002 Corvette has done 90100 miles. The 2001 SL500 has done 52000 miles. From the interiors, it can be clearly seen that SL500 must have been garaged and taken care of. obviously the dealer also must have spent some amount renewing it. But it looks like a much better place to be in.

I thought 2000-2001 SL500 were quite reliable before they went down with the next gen sl500. I am not sure about corvettes, but i have seen many other GM vehicles having problems early on.

This buy is gonna be with me for long time, so another problem i see happening is availability of spares and cost incur to get them installed or replace.

The cars will never see a track when i use it. I would love to take it to track some day but that doesn't look so in distant future. That is why SL500 makes a strong case for itself. And then there are dime a dozen 350z and g35 which are practical enough for day to day use and can give edge of seat thrills when needed especially the 350z.

i will be decided in a day or two. who knows i may surprise myself

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks