Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2015, 23:46   #4426
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I had the new Chrysler 200 on rental the past weekend. I found this gear terribly annoying. I mean so many circular buttons all placed so near by, making it so uncomfortable. Anyone has experience with the new Chrysler or is it just me?

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo.jpg

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 10th February 2015 at 23:48.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:28   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Anyone has experience with the new Chrysler or is it just me?
Unfortunately yes and this is the new trend. I feel this is a classic case of solution looking for a problem. Also I hate how they have redesigned the parking brake.
I had a doubt as to what happens when you accidentally shift gears while the car is moving for example from D to R. One of the Acura SA (new TLX has similar gear shifts) demonstrated that to me. There is a fail safe mechanism preventing D to R shift but why have that situation to begin with. Atleast the Acura had buttons to shift gear opposed to this rotary dial madness in Chrysler.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:41   #4428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had the new Chrysler 200 on rental the past weekend. I found this gear terribly annoying. I mean so many circular buttons all placed so near by, making it so uncomfortable. Anyone has experience with the new Chrysler or is it just me?

Attachment 1338629
That circular knob is becoming common on cars equipped with ZF transmissions (don't know for sure whether it's ZF specific as BMW still has the vertical shifter).

The newer Land Rovers & Jaguars have the same.

I believe I've seen a similar one on a pick-up truck as well but I can't remember whether it was a Chrysler or GM.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:02   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

I believe I've seen a similar one on a pick-up truck as well but I can't remember whether it was a Chrysler or GM.
It is on the RAM with the ZF transmission. The Jags / LRs have the transmission switch that magically raises from somewhere when you start the car. I think people will get used to these as it gains acceptance - like the widespread rejection of electronic parking brakes is a thing of the past now. But I find both the rotaries and switch button transmissions crazy. I would rather have a gear lever. I'm sure interior space and packaging are what justifies the smaller buttons and knobs. Lincoln has a button gear shift on the MKC. Soon I expect Honda to get inspired by Acura and this whole thing would become super mainstream.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 01:23   #4430
Senior - BHPian

I have heard that these are even more annoying:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-chargershifter450x337.jpg

They are like joysticks.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:37   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Unfortunately yes and this is the new trend. I feel this is a classic case of solution looking for a problem. Also I hate how they have redesigned the parking brake.
I had a doubt as to what happens when you accidentally shift gears while the car is moving for example from D to R. One of the Acura SA (new TLX has similar gear shifts) demonstrated that to me. There is a fail safe mechanism preventing D to R shift but why have that situation to begin with. Atleast the Acura had buttons to shift gear opposed to this rotary dial madness in Chrysler.
Yea I was trying to move it around while stopped at the signal, it was so easy to go R and P. I mean even by mistake if you turn the button, it could be dangerous.

Quote:
That circular knob is becoming common on cars equipped with ZF transmissions (don't know for sure whether it's ZF specific as BMW still has the vertical shifter).

The newer Land Rovers & Jaguars have the same.

Yea the Jags have it, but I felt its better positioned.
Old 11th February 2015, 01:53   #4432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It is on the RAM with the ZF transmission. The Jags / LRs have the transmission switch that magically raises from somewhere when you start the car.
Quote:
Yea the Jags have it, but I felt its better positioned.
Yes, that was a rising & lowering knob - I did test drive a Jaguar XF when I was looking for a new car.

It's definitely a nice & innovative feature (till it gets duplicated by every manufacturer, just like LED running lights) but I wonder how long the novelty would have lasted.

Plus, I live in the city so would have had to get used to moving from R-D-R-D-R-D & back when trying to maneuver into a tight parking spot.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 04:22   #4433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have heard that these are even more annoying:
Attachment 1338643

They are like joysticks.
Yea I hate these, but after the "knob" I found the joystick better.

Quote:
Yes, that was a rising & lowering knob - I did test drive a Jaguar XF when I was looking for a new car.

It's definitely a nice & innovative feature (till it gets duplicated by every manufacturer, just like LED running lights) but I wonder how long the novelty would have lasted.

Plus, I live in the city so would have had to get used to moving from R-D-R-D-R-D & back when trying to maneuver into a tight parking spot.
very true these are a pain to use.

How was the D-R-D mode in Jag? Was it like using a volume button? Or did it have a push-down to go R? I would have preferred there was some feature to prevent changing gear with jus a turn!
Old 11th February 2015, 15:10   #4434
Distinguished - BHPian

Hate these knobs and joystick. Its a a case of taking a fully functional piece of equipment, a stick and turning it into a gimmick or gadget. Luckily, my Jaguar XJR still has the proper J-gate stick. The best. period!

Jeroen
Old 11th February 2015, 15:19   #4435
BHPian

I have been to Texas before and had a Texas Driving License which is expired due to expiry of I94. Now say If I go back to Texas again, will I need to give the theory / computer exam and practical driving test again to obtain a license. Or based on my existing (expired) license with same state, I can get a new license ?
Old 11th February 2015, 23:11   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I have been to Texas before and had a Texas Driving License which is expired due to expiry of I94. Now say If I go back to Texas again, will I need to give the theory / computer exam and practical driving test again to obtain a license. Or based on my existing (expired) license with same state, I can get a new license ?
You can renew your license based on the new I94. No written or driving tests.
Old 12th February 2015, 08:44   #4437
BHPian

Quote:
You can renew your license based on the new I94. No written or driving tests.
Sorry i forget to mention an important detail. The last time I went to Texas it was a previous H1B and that H1B got expired (no extension done) and then my new H1B was raised (in out of cap category) and I have that now. So still what you said holds true ?
Also in the event I have to go to another state for work, as in, instead of Texas, I am deputed in some other state, then my previous expired Texas License would not be any help and I will have to give all sort of tests and driving test at the DMV in other state right ?
Old 12th February 2015, 08:53   #4438
BHPian

Quote:
Also in the event I have to go to another state for work, as in, instead of Texas, I am deputed in some other state, then my previous expired Texas License would not be any help and I will have to give all sort of tests and driving test at the DMV in other state right ?
If the license has expired within last 3 years, you can renew in most of the states without driving and written test.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 09:54   #4439
BHPian

Not sure if it is appropriate to ask about Car Rentals here.

Last time I was in the US, I took a Hertz Car rental (economy) car for 1 Month and they offered me the same for $600. This was without insurance since I used my insurance from my own car (which I had sold and needed a rental car for a month).

Now I may be traveling back to USA and initially I will need a rental car to move about and also to go and lookout for options to buy one (I will ask queries for buying car later in this thread). So I am not sure for how long I will need the rental, but minimum I will take is at least 1 week and then till whatever time I have not bought my car.

So which would be the best rental company to go for when renting the car for longer duration like a week or 15 days or a month. Also I will be taking insurance from them since I don't want to take any risk. Want to ensure that I can get a car at minimum cost rental. Any tips in this regard ?
Old 12th February 2015, 10:01   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if it is appropriate to ask about Car Rentals here.

Last time I was in the US, I took a Hertz Car rental (economy) car for 1 Month and they offered me the same for $600. This was without insurance since I used my insurance from my own car (which I had sold and needed a rental car for a month).

Now I may be traveling back to USA and initially I will need a rental car to move about and also to go and lookout for options to buy one (I will ask queries for buying car later in this thread). So I am not sure for how long I will need the rental, but minimum I will take is at least 1 week and then till whatever time I have not bought my car.

So which would be the best rental company to go for when renting the car for longer duration like a week or 15 days or a month. Also I will be taking insurance from them since I don't want to take any risk. Want to ensure that I can get a car at minimum cost rental. Any tips in this regard ?
When I moved, I thought about this and then just took the car rental in weekends. Mainly because, I lived fairly close to the office and on weekdays I hardly needed a car - public transport was enough to get to office and back - and there were plenty of friends to hitch a ride from, for getting groceries etc. The too, I didn't get the car on all the weekends, only the ones when I actually needed one. This might change in your case depending on how many friends you have in the area.

Secondly - if you may take several months to buy the car you want: you might consider getting a used Corolla/Civic for around 3k and then selling it for almost the same price once you are done with it. Not sure which state/area you are moving to, but at least here in the bay area there are a lot of used Civics/Corollas/Altimas, get something around year 2000 with 100k miles for 3k to 4k, use it for a couple of months and then sell it, get the car you wanted. The purchase is usually not time consuming at all, just hand over money, get pink slip and go home. (you will need an address and SSN to register it at DMV and get insurance though - so do it after the first 2 weeks).

Most Viewed