Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 08:38   #4396
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Ahem, my original qn kinda remains then, so realistically its continue with my SHO or ScatPak Charger or WRX right.
Old 27th January 2015, 08:51   #4397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Ahem, my original qn kinda remains then, so realistically its continue with my SHO or ScatPak Charger or WRX right.
LOL.
WRX is not a full size sedan. And ScatPack was recently launched, so it wont be in the used car market yet. SRT8s would be high mileage ones if you manage to find one.
So, SHO seems to be the frontrunner. Unless Chevy SS wins your heart. Although i am not sure of their availability in the used car market. You can try a Charger R/T with Road and Track package if you dont mind RWD.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 08:52   #4398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My two cents: Since you mentioned power and handling:
WRX > Charger > SHO/Chevy SS.

- WRX is supreme in handling, I really can't think of anything negative.
- Charger is decent in handling too, surprising for a car of its size. Nice thing is the HEMI engine, nice electronics. I think they had an in-car Garmin unit sometime back, not sure if they still have that. If you don't mind an American car, I would get this (second to the WRX of course).
- I would consider SHO last because, though it has a lot of space it handles a lot like a big car (body roll etc). Charger has body roll too but you feel it less. The Taurus feels more like a full sized family car (which it is) than an outright enthusiast car which the Charger feels like.

If you are willing to go down on horsepower, consider something from Infinity too. The handling and steering feel more than makes up for it. If 2 doors / 2 seats is ok, Corvette and 370Z. Hope this helps.

Also, a couple questions:
- Is AT a requirement? There is Focus ST and Golf R (I think they are planning to re-introduce it) if its not. Not sure if Mazdaspeed3 is still available.
- Is 4 door and 5 seating a requirement? There are so many 2-door cars to choose from if its not.

Don't count out the Genesis coupe also. Its surprisingly good.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th January 2015 at 23:01. Reason: the quoted post has been deleted so removed the refrence, thanks
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 09:31   #4399
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post

If you are willing to go down on horsepower, consider something from Infinity too. The handling and steering feel more than makes up for it.
Definitely recommend checking the G37. Its powerful, RWD, handling is great. If you are lucky you can probably get some old model-new G37s at steal.
You can go for the coupe or sedan, but again not sure how many 6MT are lying in the used market. Like VLOCT says, expand your search all over the States, if you get the right one you can always have the car shipped or flown in or drive it home
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 10:12   #4400
BHPian

I will be traveling to Houston next week. I have an expired Colorado driving license (expiry 30NOV2014) because of my i94 expiry.

I have valid indian driving license. I think I can drive with it for 6 months or so in Texas.
Can anyone double confirm this ?

If I go and apply in Texas DMV for new license, How much time do they take to send new one? Do they print it right away and give it to you same day like in Illinois or it arrives at residence after few days.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:50   #4401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I will be traveling to Houston next week. I have an expired Colorado driving license (expiry 30NOV2014) because of my i94 expiry.

I have valid indian driving license. I think I can drive with it for 6 months or so in Texas.

If I go and apply in Texas DMV for new license, How much time do they take to send new one? Do they print it right away and give it to you same day like in Illinois or it arrives at residence after few days.
NO! Not sure how it works in Texas, but let me share an incident that happened to one of my friends' friends who moved here. He had his Indian driving license with him in the first month he landed (in CA). Since everyone told him its valid "for some time", he rented a car and crashed it into another car. The cop booked him for driving without license which is a serious charge, and he had to pay heavy penalties. The cop wouldn't even look at his Indian license. You can look it up in the DMV websites, only "temporary visitors" are allowed to drive on a foreign license. Anyone on an L1 or H1 is not a "temporary visitor", we are considered to be living here. Although there are some legal interpretations as to whether or not we have utility bills here / paid taxes here yet, its really a fuzzy area and the interpretation could vary from cop to cop / judge to judge and its their call.

Check the Texas DMV rules, I would completely refrain from driving without a valid US license when you are on L1 / H1.
rajushank84 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 11:39   #4402
BHPian

Quote:
NO! Not sure how it works in Texas, but let me share an

Check the Texas DMV rules, I would completely refrain from driving without a valid US license when you are on L1 / H1.
You are right I read these kind of experiences on lot of other forums. Using indian license is indeed a grey area. So I am not going to take risk.
I am only there for 4 days so I have decided to get by using Uber like services. Just found out UberX is only 1.10$ / mile in Houston.
Old 27th January 2015, 12:05   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
You are right I read these kind of experiences on lot of other forums. Using indian license is indeed a grey area. So I am not going to take risk.
I am only there for 4 days so I have decided to get by using Uber like services. Just found out UberX is only 1.10$ / mile in Houston.
Yea you are definitely better off using UberX or Lyft. I have used it during my trip to Houston, I also have a reliable cab driver who is picks me up when I come in late evening or for longer trips. PM me if you want his contact.

Do you pay these crazy figures for Insurance?
Quote:
According to the study, the 10 worst ZIP Codes and their average premiums for a 2014 Accord were:

1. Detroit, 48227: $5,109
2. Brooklyn, N.Y., 11226: $3,877
3. Philadelphia, 19132: $2,760
4. Providence, R.I., 02903: $2,749
5. New Orleans, 70117: $2,542
6. Los Angeles, 90029: $2,416
7. Woodbridge, Conn., 06525: $2,291
8. Baltimore, 21216: $2,256
9. Miami, Fla., 33142: $2,248
10. Royalton, Ky., 41464: $2,104
Source
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 12:33   #4404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
NO! Not sure how it works in Texas, but let me share an incident that happened to one of my friends' friends who moved here. He had his Indian driving license with him in the first month he landed (in CA). Since everyone told him its valid "for some time", he rented a car and crashed it into another car. The cop booked him for driving without license which is a serious charge, and he had to pay heavy penalties. The cop wouldn't even look at his Indian license. You can look it up in the DMV websites, only "temporary visitors" are allowed to drive on a foreign license. Anyone on an L1 or H1 is not a "temporary visitor", we are considered to be living here. Although there are some legal interpretations as to whether or not we have utility bills here / paid taxes here yet, its really a fuzzy area and the interpretation could vary from cop to cop / judge to judge and its their call.

I was on a L1 for several years in the USA, initially living in Kansas. I found it very difficult to really understand the formal rules. When you enter the USA first time on your L1, there is obviously, some time required and allowed to obtain an American DL. Of course, rental companies have no clue about your formal residential status and would hire out a car to you on the basis of a valid credit car and a valid international DL. But from a legal point of view, you might be regarded as driving without a valid DL as pointed out earlier.

However, my insurance company made it abundetly clear that they required both my wife and myself to have an American DL within 3 months of starting the car insurance policy.

The short version, if you are on a L1 just get your local US driver asap. Shouldnt be very difficult. The test I had to do here in Delhi to get my Indian driver license was very similar to the test the Kansas City DMV made me do, drive up and down a street without hitting anything
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 18:24   #4405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Every state allows you some time to get a license from the DMV, during which time you can drive on your original license, if you are on L1 or H1 visa. It is ridiculous to expect that you can only drive on a valid US license, from the moment you land here.

Here is the link (instead of just a suggestion) to Texas DMV:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ingtotexas.htm

And i quote from the website:
Quote:
An individual can legally drive with a valid, unexpired driver license from another state or country for up to 90 days after moving to Texas.
For tourists, if they are from a country that is part of the 1949 Geneva Convention (which both India and US are) then they can drive on their original license.

https://www.justlanded.com/english/U...riving-Licence

Sometimes cops themselves are not aware of this rule though. A friend of mine, who was driving on Indian license, got pulled over for speeding. The cop refused to accept his Indian license and asked him to go to the local court. My friend went to the police station instead and spoke to his superior officer. The officer admitted that the cop was in the wrong and he was new so didn't know the rules. My friend got his license back and didn't have to suffer any more.

So, yes you can drive on your Indian license, but make sure you are aware of the rules and are aware of the length of time for which you can drive on your Indian license. Since you had a Colorado license earlier, I dont think driving within the rules would be much of an issue for you.

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th January 2015 at 23:10. Reason: minor edits, Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 21:07   #4406
Senior - BHPian

The perils of living in New England! Thats my car buried in snow as of today.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422373004.470443.jpg

Best Resale in a Full Size Sedan

Whoa! I did not expect this to happen! Charger has been awarded by KBB the Best Resale Value in a Full Size car, beating Toyota Avalon!!
Although it is for 2015 models, maybe it will trickle down to my 2012 Charger as well, if and when I decide to sell it

Last edited by benbsb29 : 28th January 2015 at 08:44. Reason: Merged posts as requested.
Old 28th January 2015, 06:41   #4407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
There is also a video of a Hellcat being smoked by a Tesla. The Hellcat had a horrible launch.
The new Tesla model S with dual motor can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 secs. Watch some shocking reaction where the car flies after switching to "Insane mode".

Please be warned of the language used.
josejoseph is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 06:51   #4408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
The new Tesla model S with dual motor can go from 0 to 60 mph in 3.2 secs. Watch some shocking reaction where the car flies after switching to "Insane mode".

Please be warned of the language used.
The Tesla is awesome. I was WOWed by not just the sheer forward thrust but also the regenerative braking (which needs some getting used to, but you love it once you're used to it) and the surprisingly sporty handling for its size! I tried to push it around some corners and was pleasantly surprised. I guess its thanks the lack of an "engine" and low center of gravity. I think the car comes with Michelin PSS.

Its an American car I actually like and would consider buying - one day . I could drive that thing all day.

My only gripe is with the interior. Though it feels "rich", I hope they make it more aesthetic. The lines could be more proportionate. But thats just my subjective taste.

Also, I think comparisons with gas cars - the Hellcat and the M5 - are not fair. But yes they're still fun to watch .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 28th January 2015 at 06:54.
Old 28th January 2015, 23:32   #4409
BHPian

Quote:
but also the regenerative braking (which needs some getting used to, but you love it once you're used to it) .
Well a different point of view, it is extremely difficult for the car following Electric cars to get used to regenerative braking as there are no brake lights and the car decelerates really fast. One of the major cause for fender benders in heavy traffic.
On a side note, I work on a problem to identify electric cars and detect whether they are braking and put an augmented brake light on the heads-up display. Which is a good computer vision problem to solve but quite redundant if these cars could trigger the brake light irrespective of whether you press the brake pedal.
Old 28th January 2015, 23:49   #4410
Senior - BHPian

I think the regen braking does turn on the brake light, depenidng on speed / how much the car slows down.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks