Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 21:20   #4336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Why a FWD if he wants fun to drive? Altima is no different than a Camry or Accord, in fact of the three the Accord is sportiest.

25k is a decent budget if he looks at used car market. Any reason why only new? He can get certified cars with less mileage & full warranty.
Yes, why FWD if fun is a primary criteria? Where is he going to be at?

He can get a 2013 320i used/certified in that ballpark - if he looks hard enough. It's got a turbo 4 with 180 bhp - you can get a ECU boost that tips it over 200 bhp and then it becomes even more. It is "right wheel drive" and light and tons of fun.

Of course if you are open to look 2-3 year old cars, there is just a ton of options out there. 25k for a used car is a really good budget in the US.

Among new cars, the only RWD vehicles in that range would be BRZ/FRS or a heavily discounted 2014 charger. If AWD, then there is only the WRX (and maybe Mitsubishi). In FWD, you have the GTI and GLI with automatics but the real fun cars are the Ford twins and the Mazdaspeed 3, but they are manual only. Not sure if the Civic SI has an automatic (but it is not a lot of fun anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hello folks!
Landed up here in Chicago last September, after many deliberations and see-saws between the choices of a new car (2014 stock) and used cars, I finally went for a Nissan Altima 2.5S Sports edition - a 2012 model with 38k miles on the odometer. No accident history, clean carfax report, no rental history, one user.
Congratulations! Photos? And yeah, DIY can save you a bunch of money if you have the will and orientation to do it. For GPS, cell phone is rather good for most things, unless you are driving around in places with no network coverage. You can get yourself a HUD or something for the phone and have your own nav screen.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 12th January 2015 at 21:27.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 21:48   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
My brother recently moved to US. Now that he has obtained his driving licence, he is looking for a car. He is not able to get much help from people around him, because all they suggest is Corolla, Civic, Camry or Accord. His requirements are:
- fun to drive
- sedan
- front wheel drive
- maximum price 25,000 USD

So far he has shortlisted VW Jetta, Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima. How is Dodge Dart? Are there any other FWD cars by Chrysler?
Where in US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
- VW GTI - what a fun little hatch! That 200hp turbo engine makes the little car go, and it handles great too.
- If he is into manual transmissions, then the Fiesta ST

I wouldn't recommend anything from Chrysler or Dodge (you did mention fun to drive).
Both GTI and ST are hatchbacks. He has specifically mentioned sedan.
Yup, for 25K you cant get a fun to drive car from Chrysler/Dodge. However, if you add another 5-8K, you will get to know the true 'Murica

Quote:
Why a FWD if he wants fun to drive? Altima is no different than a Camry or Accord, in fact of the three the Accord is sportiest.
Yeah why FWD? Is he moving to a region where it snows?

Anyway, dont forget to check out Mazda6.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 02:06   #4338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only automatic (restriction by wife, I guess)

I assumed Dart would be fun to drive, because it is built on a Fiat platform. No?
Dart is a No! I would suggest having a look at Merc or Bmw in this range too. Friend picked up a C250 yesterday for 28k with 20k miles on it.

Also is your friend got a existing credit history? If yes then makes sense going for that budget or i would wait a year before taking the plunge.

Jomz: Surprised you missed out the Bro truck of the year. Ford Raptor(This is it).

This is pretty fun to drive in a straight line

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2016-f...6512/+ballaban
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 02:34   #4339
BHPian

Quote:
My brother recently moved to US. Now that he has obtained his driving licence, he is looking for a car. He is not able to get much help from people around him, because all they suggest is Corolla, Civic, Camry or Accord. His requirements are:
- fun to drive
- sedan
- front wheel drive
- maximum price 25,000 USD

So far he has shortlisted VW Jetta, Ford Fusion, Chevrolet Malibu and Nissan Altima. How is Dodge Dart? Are there any other FWD cars by Chrysler?
If he wants to stick to those requirements, another suggestion is the Mazda 3. Great looking car, good mileage and the steering feel isn't bad at all. Well under his budget too.
Old 13th January 2015, 07:43   #4340
BHPian

Hi,

I have a question about a cancelled payment for a booked car at fiat dealership. I paid 1500 from my credit card and 20 minutes later, the dealer cancelled that payment and handed me a receipt for refund. It happened since the car in question fiat 500 was yet to be approved for the loan and he said that unless that happened, his sales guy should not have charged me. It has been 3 days since Friday last week that I am still to get the refund in my account. Can someone please tell me that does it take long to get the amount back or is it something suspicious that I need to act on?

Regards

Himanshu
Old 13th January 2015, 08:02   #4341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why a FWD if he wants fun to drive?
He says it is better to have a FWD/AWD car to drive in snow, than an RWD car. I think Altima was shortlisted by him based on others' advice.
Quote:
Any reason why only new?
I think the reason is purely personal. Even I can never convince myself to buy something that is used by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Yes, why FWD if fun is a primary criteria? Where is he going to be at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Where in US?
Yonkers, New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Also is your friend got a existing credit history? If yes then makes sense going for that budget or i would wait a year before taking the plunge.
It's my younger brother, actually . He went to US only in October 2014, but his wife (being a citizen of US) has been working there since 2 years. I don't know his plan, but now that you have mentioned credit history, I will check with him if it is he or his wife who will own the car.

Thanks to all you guys, he plans to test drive the Impreza and Mazda (3 or 6, I don't remember) pretty soon.

Last edited by rohanjf : 13th January 2015 at 08:03.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 09:33   #4342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Hi,

I It has been 3 days since Friday last week that I am still to get the refund in my account. Can someone please tell me that does it take long to get the amount back or is it something suspicious that I need to act on?

Regards

Himanshu
Usually refunds take a bit longer than charges. You can always contact your credit card company to find out what the status of the payment is.

Quote:
He says it is better to have a FWD/AWD car to drive in snow, than an RWD car. I think Altima was shortlisted by him based on others' advice.

Yonkers, New York.

It's my younger brother, actually . He went to US only in October 2014, but his wife (being a citizen of US) has been working there since 2 years. I don't know his plan, but now that you have mentioned credit history, I will check with him if it is he or his wife who will own the car.
Well, AWD is more fun than FWD. So yeah, the WRX maybe a good choice for him. But then insurance premiums maybe higher because it is considered a sporty car. His wife should have a decent credit history if she has been using credit cards for the last 2 years. They can jointly own a car, however the rates maybe a little worse than what she would have got on her own.
Old 13th January 2015, 09:40   #4343
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned sedan only. I guess in that case Jetta GLI (only GLI) comes close to the GTI feel, and Subaru Impreza/Legacy/WRX (I'm not sure if they make WRX with auto tranny anymore, I think they don't). Civic Si if he is fine with stick shift.
WRX does come in Auto transmission

Quote:

I think the reason is purely personal. Even I can never convince myself to buy something that is used by others.
Altima is definitely a good car, but not sure if it will satisfy the fun to drive factor.
WRX would be a great choice
Old 13th January 2015, 09:42   #4344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Congratulations! Photos? And yeah, DIY can save you a bunch of money if you have the will and orientation to do it. For GPS, cell phone is rather good for most things, unless you are driving around in places with no network coverage. You can get yourself a HUD or something for the phone and have your own nav screen.
Thanks. For pics, will have to wait for a sunny day - the current pics will only show a car half burried under snow - your profile says Chicagoland - you know how the weather is!
Old 13th January 2015, 11:07   #4345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's my younger brother, actually .
He should look for a used merc or bmw in that range. With all that you can get a nice car and stay off the altima with the fun to drive criteria.

Nitin: For gps just walk into a best buy or electronic store and pick a garmin up. I just got one last week for 120 bucks. Those come with updates to the maps for life which would help in the future.

Maddy
Old 13th January 2015, 12:07   #4346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
WRX does come in Auto transmission

Altima is definitely a good car, but not sure if it will satisfy the fun to drive factor.
WRX would be a great choice
WRX does come in CVT starting MY2015. The Manual transmission this year is a 6 speed which is quite notchy and feels good. Good value for money.

An update:

Sold my BRZ and got a 2015 STI. Heart over mind decision, couldn't live with the auto transmission on BRZ anymore, moreover wanted to buy a sedan which i plan to keep for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141221_113349.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141221_113932.jpg  

gatham.psb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 13:01   #4347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He says it is better to have a FWD/AWD car to drive in snow, than an RWD car.
I agree with that, its better to get FWD (or preferably AWD) for snow. Since that is a consideration, I wouldn't suggest Mercs/BMWs.

Subaru is especially a better choice, since its AWD. And Subarus handle GREAT. I think its the most underrated brand in the US.

Since you mentioned base Audi A3: my suggestion is, don't get any Audi without Quattro. Its not worth it, you will just be paying for the badge. Better get the Jetta, since its the same thing.

What I would do is, stretch and get a Quattro . Ask your friend to drive both Subarus (WRX or Impreza or Legacy) and an A3/A4 (my pick would be A4) back to back and decide.

Oh please forget Altima. I don't even agree that its the same as an Accord. It has to be the most non-fun car I have ever driven. Seriously.

Ask your friend to check out lease deals also. Now all my friends are going in for leases and getting nice fully loaded cars for around 200-300 a month. If we do the math, thats what we lose in depreciation even with a base car that we keep and sell after 3-4 years (depending on the car of course). An A4 Quattro lease between 300 to 400 would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
WRX does come in CVT starting MY2015. The Manual transmission this year is a 6 speed which is quite notchy and feels good. Good value for money.

An update:

Sold my BRZ and got a 2015 STI. Heart over mind decision, couldn't live with the auto transmission on BRZ anymore, moreover wanted to buy a sedan which i plan to keep for a while.
Once again congrats and nice to see the pics Gautham! Did the spoiler come with the car or did you have it fixed?

Last edited by rajushank84 : 13th January 2015 at 13:04.
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 13:14   #4348
BHPian

Quote:

Once again congrats and nice to see the pics Gautham! Did the spoiler come with the car or did you have it fixed?
Thanks. STi's by default have the spoiler. Not a big fan though, but that is part of the character of the car.

Agree with rajushank. If you need luxury check out the AUDI's or Subaru Legacy. Legacy with eyesight is a good value for money. A4 is good too but factor in the maintenance cost of the German cars before deciding.

If you want FWD, mazda 6 is a great choice too.
Old 13th January 2015, 21:03   #4349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He says it is better to have a FWD/AWD car to drive in snow, than an RWD car.
That's correct, FWd is better to drive in snow than a RWD.

Quote:
That's what my belief was till I was in India, of the 4 vehicles that I bought (3 bikes & a car) all were brand new.

Here you can get an almost mint/showroom condition car in the pre-owned market with most of bells & whistles of a new car. The cars which come off of 2/3 year leases are pretty well maintained & have spare warranty on them.

Ask him to check & if he still feels that way then go ahead with new car
Old 13th January 2015, 21:14   #4350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
An update:

Awesome! Congratulations! An STI in San Jose would be quite a rarity? Or is it very popular? Do you track it (you better)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks. For pics, will have to wait for a sunny day - the current pics will only show a car half burried under snow - your profile says Chicagoland - you know how the weather is!
Haha! I know. The upcoming weekend is going to be shorts weather (above freezing). Try your luck then!

Quote:
I agree with that, its better to get FWD (or preferably AWD) for snow. Since that is a consideration, I wouldn't suggest Mercs/BMWs.

Subaru is especially a better choice, since its AWD. And Subarus handle GREAT. I think its the most underrated brand in the US.

What I would do is, stretch and get a Quattro . Ask your friend to drive both Subarus (WRX or Impreza or Legacy) and an A3/A4 (my pick would be A4) back to back and decide.
Most of the BMWs/ Mercs sold in NY and New England would be AWD. So don't rule them out yet. I don't recommend the Altima either (if fun and FWD were mentioned together). Might as well get a Mazda 6 or Ford Fusion or Accord Sport. Another outsider is the Jetta GLI.

Quote:
That's what my belief was till I was in India, of the 4 vehicles that I bought (3 bikes & a car) all were brand new.

Here you can get an almost mint/showroom condition car in the pre-owned market with most of bells & whistles of a new car. The cars which come off of 2/3 year leases are pretty well maintained & have spare warranty on them.

Ask him to check & if he still feels that way then go ahead with new car
Absolutely, for the 25k budget, the possibilities are limitless. You can get anything from Corvettes to Honda Fit. 25k is lower than the average new car transaction price in the US. But it is a great budget for a used car.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks