Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2014, 08:43   #4276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I have heard it too.

New tire? Check again
Thanks for the link. I will check it out against the ones i have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
I am in the lookout for my 2002 Toyota Camry V6 car tires, I need an All Season tire as I am in Vancouver where there is little snow, however, the more I search, the more I get confused.
The one so far I have ticked is "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus", but it looks a bit pricey, any comments?
Am checking against the sites i visited. Will get back with what i find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
Is it worth trying to trade-in a financed vehicle for a brand new (upgrade) vehicle from the same brand ( and showroom)?
I would do the sale and the buy seperately. Check carmax for the price they are willing to give for your car and then take that while shopping.

Any reason for sticking to the same brand?

Pics of my new change.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4814.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_4815.jpg

Comments as of now is less road noise. Its more planted while driving.
Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 09:24   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the lookout for my 2002 Toyota Camry V6 car tires, I need an All Season tire as I am in Vancouver where there is little snow, however, the more I search, the more I get confused. Could someone help me narrow down choices?

The one so far I have ticked is "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus", but it looks a bit pricey, any comments?
I was able to find some tires on tirerack from Bridgestone, continental, good year, yokohama.

Have a look.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 09:34   #4278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the lookout for my 2002 Toyota Camry V6 car tires, I need an All Season tire as I am in Vancouver where there is little snow, however, the more I search, the more I get confused. Could someone help me narrow down choices?

The choice purely depends on what you are looking for - road noise, grip, wear and tear, comfort etc - you maybe able to review these attributes (along with specifications) on most tire retailer websites or on the internet.

Quote:
Is it worth trying to trade-in a financed vehicle for a brand new (upgrade) vehicle from the same brand ( and showroom)?

I have been having back issues with the low seating of the Subaru Impreza and was thinking to upgrade to a Forester.
You are going to lose money on it, no matter where you trade in a car. Trade in prices will be significantly lower than direct sale. However with a trade in, the tax you pay would be on the difference amount in many states. If you sell private, you will have to pay tax on the full sale amount when buying the new car. Get your dealer to appraise your car, weight it against how much you owe on it. The difference you will have to foot, plus any further downpayment you have to make on your new car.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 12:36   #4279
BHPian

Quote:

I have been having back issues with the low seating of the Subaru Impreza and was thinking to upgrade to a Forester.
If you are not in a hurry to sell, then best option would be private party sale. Subarus are hard to come by in the used car market, so you will probably have a good response.
Old 26th November 2014, 19:47   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Trade-in value of your car will surely be less than a private party sale. But trade-in gives you the convenience of avoiding the paperwork involved.
Since your car is financed, I think you will need to first pay off the balance.
Many dealers do purchase vehicles too, even if you dont buy another one from them. And they take care of paying off the lender. However, trading in your vehicle just gives the dealers twice the opportunity to fleece you.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 23:12   #4281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I was able to find some tires on tirerack from Bridgestone, continental, good year, yokohama.

Have a look.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

Maddy
Thanks for the link Maddy, let me see if it helps me narrow down my search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The choice purely depends on what you are looking for - road noise, grip, wear and tear, comfort etc - you maybe able to review these attributes (along with specifications) on most tire retailer websites or on the internet.
Thanks Vineeth, Honestly, I dont have any parameters in my mind, it is just "I need to change car tire" thing, my drive is a sedate 70 Kms per day driving which is mostly highways and usually congested traffic.

How about a tire that has reduced road noise, good grip both in wet, dry and light snow condition, lasts long and provides comfort without taking a hit on gas
Old 26th November 2014, 23:56   #4282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link Maddy, let me see if it helps me narrow down my search.

Thanks Vineeth, Honestly, I dont have any parameters in my mind, it is just "I need to change car tire" thing, my drive is a sedate 70 Kms per day driving which is mostly highways and usually congested traffic.

How about a tire that has reduced road noise, good grip both in wet, dry and light snow condition, lasts long and provides comfort without taking a hit on gas
Well, as you may already know, higher grip may often mean higher noise, softer compound and lower life and lower fuel efficiency . So you really need to think what you like - it maybe possible to get more life and less noise at the cost of traction. You really need to think of what your priority is and pick the appropriate tires.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 00:22   #4283
BHPian

Quote:

Look at Michelin Defender. Pretty decent tire with a long life. A lot of friends use it and pretty happy with it. Michelin currently has a $70 rebate for a set of 4.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 04:39   #4284
BHPian

Thanks for your comments Mohit and Vineeth. I am now kind of leaning towards "Continental PureContact Tire 215/60R16SL 95V", hope this is a good choice. Please let me know if this is good.

Mohit, Michelin Defender is not showing for the size that I require.
Old 27th November 2014, 19:53   #4285
BHPian

Quote:

Mohit, Michelin Defender is not showing for the size that I require.
Michelin says it does make it:

PART NUMBERS TIRE SIZE, LOAD INDEX & SPEED RATING
14026 215/60R16 95 T
29468 215/60R16 95 T

Both come with a 145,000 Km mileage warranty. No idea why they have two part numbers though.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 22:07   #4286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Michelin says it does make it:

PART NUMBERS TIRE SIZE, LOAD INDEX & SPEED RATING
14026 215/60R16 95 T
29468 215/60R16 95 T

Both come with a 145,000 Km mileage warranty. No idea why they have two part numbers though.
Thanks Mohit, the speed rating mentioned above is "T", however, I was looking for "V", hence was not showing up in my search. I do understand that it is 180 KMPH vs 240 KMPH speed rating and I usually dont drive beyond 120KMPH, but since the manufacturer recommended tire size had "V", I would like to go with that.

Do you have any comments on Continental?
Old 1st December 2014, 13:39   #4287
BHPian

Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles by mid-December. I intend to take a car on rent from Los Angeles airport (LAX).

The car would be rented in my brothers name who is 25 and lives in LA. We'll be using the car for trips in and around LA and a few long trips being
LA - Vegas
Vegas - San Fransisco
San Fransisco - LA

I've mainly got 2 queries.

1. Can a car rented from California be taken into Nevada without any additional procedures?

2. Insurance
How does insurance work? Is it car-wise (like in india) or is it driver specific?
I plan on taking a medical insurance from here, will that be enough?
Is third party insurance mandatory?

I also plan on driving along with my brother. I'm 23 years old.
Old 1st December 2014, 13:52   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Hey guys,

I'm planning a trip to Los Angeles by mid-December. I intend to take a car on rent from Los Angeles airport (LAX).

The car would be rented in my brothers name who is 25 and lives in LA. We'll be using the car for trips in and around LA and a few long trips being
LA - Vegas
Vegas - San Fransisco
San Fransisco - LA

I've mainly got 2 queries.

1. Can a car rented from California be taken into Nevada without any additional procedures?

2. Insurance
How does insurance work? Is it car-wise (like in india) or is it driver specific?
I plan on taking a medical insurance from here, will that be enough?
Is third party insurance mandatory?

I also plan on driving along with my brother. I'm 23 years old.
1) Yes, you can rent at any place and travel around the US. I do not think there any restrictions as such. I rented in Vegas and drove around LA. California has high fines compared to Vegas.
2) As far as I know it is similar to India. Insurance is car specific. And if you want to have additional driver, its better to register while renting itself.
arun_kun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 17:40   #4289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
1) Yes, you can rent at any place and travel around the US. I do not think there any restrictions as such. I rented in Vegas and drove around LA. California has high fines compared to Vegas.
2) As far as I know it is similar to India. Insurance is car specific. And if you want to have additional driver, its better to register while renting itself.

For a rental the designated driver needs to be named. So if you have multiple person who will be driving you need to provide their names and DL details to the rental company. Usually there is a small surcharge for every additional driver. The insurance is only partly car specific, see below,even so the owner, or needs to give permission per driver.

Interestingly enough if you do own your own car in the USA that insurance might be applicable for your rental.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 18:45   #4290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
For a rental the designated driver needs to be named. So if you have multiple person who will be driving you need to provide their names and DL details to the rental company. Usually there is a small surcharge for every additional driver. The insurance is only partly car specific, see below,even so the owner, or needs to give permission per driver.

Interestingly enough if you do own your own car in the USA that insurance might be applicable for your rental.

Jeroen
I was specifically talking about the insurance provided by rental companies.

My colleague in US was saying the same, that they do not need to take any insurance while taking rental as their insurance will cover. I felt strange, did not
get chance to discuss in detail. Felt strange though. Is it same in European countries too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks