Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2014, 14:05   #4261
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Yea VLOCT, it was not the right question to compare Duc with HD. But just wanted to see how the transition felt.
Absolutely no problem with the question. Transition has been very good. Thanks for asking, Kraft.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 15:45   #4262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Absolutely no problem with the question. Transition has been very good. Thanks for asking, Kraft.
You should cruise over to LA by Death Valley sometime
Old 21st November 2014, 21:29   #4263
BHPian

Funny, I was planning a longish ride to Death Valley and back. I would rather come to LA on I15 and do the Angeles Crest, Mullholland Highway and another that goes north of 101 where, James Dean died on his Porsche Spyder. Oh yeah, I got plans but, want to do them on my cars first and if I find them not clogged with bikers which I know is possible on a work day, then may be on the Rod. We'll see.
Old 24th November 2014, 07:44   #4264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Good car, I test drove MDX while buying the Pathfinder and almost bought it. Whats a B2B warranty. Is it a 3rd party warranty?
Hi All, sorry for the delay. Yes, I meant bumper to bumper warranty. Pls see some pics attached. I have put weather tech mats and bought the roof rails. Roof rails are yet to be installed (I am doing it just for the looks).
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141123_143714.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141123_143815.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141123_.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20141123_151326.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-acura.jpeg.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-acura1.jpeg.jpg  

Superleggera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 09:34   #4265
BHPian

Quote:
Funny, I was planning a longish ride to Death Valley and back. I would rather come to LA on I15 and do the Angeles Crest, Mullholland Highway and another that goes north of 101 where, James Dean died on his Porsche Spyder. Oh yeah, I got plans but, want to do them on my cars first and if I find them not clogged with bikers which I know is possible on a work day, then may be on the Rod. We'll see.
Yea the canyons are crowded during weekends. I usually hit around 8am and get back by 10-11 before the crowd comes. Angeles is really good, has a lot of wide turns. I stay away from Mullholland due to number of squids(both cars and bikes).
If you are in the area hit me up, I will take you to Glendora its my fav spot very technical and tight turns. May be not so fun on HD, but hey you can ride mine
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 01:51   #4266
Senior - BHPian

Tires query: So its that time of the life of the car. My tires are wearing out with 37k miles on it and i need a replacement.

Anyone can suggest what i should do? These are my options online. Costco prices are about $900 for a set of 4 including installation.

Online here are my options from Tirerack.com
OEM:
Bridgestone Potenza RE92A High Performance All-Season $978

Best sellers:

Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position Max Performance Summer $638

Continental ExtremeContact DWS Ultra High Performance All-Season$ 680

Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 Ultra High Performance All-Season$592

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology Grand Touring All-Season$662

There is also a brand by the name Sumitomo but i am not very sure on the same.

Maddy
Old 25th November 2014, 02:12   #4267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Tires query:
Online here are my options from Tirerack.com

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology Grand Touring All-Season$662

Maddy
Can vouch for the Continental. Have been using in both my Cars.

I used tire rack as well - However you still have to pay extra for alignment/Fitting.

Your local tire dealers should be able to more or less match you with an all-inclusive price (Most of them provide life time balancing/Rotation) . Shop around before you pull the trigger.
Old 25th November 2014, 03:11   #4268
BHPian

Maddy;

You should also look at Toyo, Michelin, Vredestein etc. Also pay attention to the rating V, W etc. I recommend taking it to the nearest Tire Rack (or wherever else) and get the best deal there. There is no need to do an alignment, if everything is fine now.

Please make sure that the the shops places it's lift supports on the approved lifting points shown on the owner's manual. Or better yet, do one wheel at a time. Tell them to hand torque ONLY the wheel nuts to the factory specs. Torque specs can differ for the same car, depending on what the type, manufacturer, alloy, steel, chrome etc, the wheels are. Absolutely no hammering with the air gun on the wheel nuts.
Old 25th November 2014, 13:01   #4269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Can vouch for the Continental.
Your local tire dealers should be able to more or less match you with an all-inclusive price (Most of them provide life time balancing/Rotation) . Shop around before you pull the trigger.
Quote:
Maddy;

You should also look at Toyo, Michelin, Vredestein etc. Also pay attention to the rating V, W etc. I recommend taking it to the nearest Tire Rack (or wherever else) and get the best deal there. There is no need to do an alignment, if everything is fine now.

Please make sure that the the shops places it's lift supports on the approved lifting points shown on the owner's manual.
Thank you. So I found a discount tire offering Nitto tires at 750 for four with allignement and balancing so got the appointment set for tomorrow. Researched on them and see the warranty is for 60k miles.
Wish the Black Friday had more tire deals as this is really a big ticket item.

Maddy
Old 25th November 2014, 22:41   #4270
BHPian

Nittos are excellent tires. I had them on the '96 Vette.
Old 25th November 2014, 22:54   #4271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nittos are excellent tires. I had them on the '96 Vette.
Thank you for the info. Got me more confidence as i was not sure on it. Lotsa promotions on the winter tires are going on but nothing for us poor folks stuck in the desert .

Also i intend on sitting in the store to ensure the bolts are not fastened using the gun.

I just heard at work that there are some folks who do use Second hand tires on their cars. Freaks me out to know people take this for granted!

Maddy
Old 25th November 2014, 23:28   #4272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
I just heard at work that there are some folks who do use Second hand tires on their cars.
I have heard it too. If you are lucky, your second hand tire is coming from someone upgrading tires on a brand new car. I think the far more significant problem is when people get tires on "deals", where the seller sells a tire manufactured 3-4 years back. The quality of the rubber on the tire will be so degraded already that you are risking your life (and others) driving with those tires. Checkout the story below - and verify your tire when you get them fitted.

New tire? Check again

Btw, did anyone see videos/ read about the new Z06 first tests? Mind boggling! We really are in the super golden age of affordable performance.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 01:30   #4273
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, tires in the states are dirt cheap. Don't compromise without even knowing what you are buying, get new tires. Unless you have a very high performance car a couple of hundred bucks gets you four brand new tires!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 04:31   #4274
BHPian

I am in the lookout for my 2002 Toyota Camry V6 car tires, I need an All Season tire as I am in Vancouver where there is little snow, however, the more I search, the more I get confused. Could someone help me narrow down choices?

The one so far I have ticked is "Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus", but it looks a bit pricey, any comments?
Old 26th November 2014, 06:46   #4275
BHPian

Is it worth trying to trade-in a financed vehicle for a brand new (upgrade) vehicle from the same brand ( and showroom)?

I have been having back issues with the low seating of the Subaru Impreza and was thinking to upgrade to a Forester.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks