Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 20:39   #4171
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I was thinking they last for upto 200k max. But then again it would be a good buy for city driving?
Depends. A few links to give a general idea about the life span of the vehicle.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...toyota-4runner

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk4...ota-4runner-2/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...-250000-miles/

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-ge...y-4runner.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...7191450AA075Wy

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...build-kit.html

Last edited by vulcanize : 6th October 2014 at 20:44. Reason: Links
Old 6th October 2014, 21:07   #4172
BHPian

Quote:
I was thinking they last for upto 200k max. But then again it would be a good buy for city driving?
Thanks kraft.wagen and vulcanise for your inputs.

I am looking at not retaining this for more than 2 years and it will be primarily for city driving - just thinking if there are any risks whatsoever with the high miles

Regards,
G
Old 6th October 2014, 21:37   #4173
Senior - BHPian

The list is quite dominated by Toyotas (or sister brands!). And Corolla is not on the list :( .
If it wasnt for the excessive oil consumption issue , I would not be doing the automotive equivalent of constantly looking over my shoulder.

Does anyone know the paperwork required to move a car between two counties (cities) in the same state ? The DMV site provides information for people newly moving into the state, but nothing for moving between counties. Is re-registration required ? Will I have to pay any taxes/Registration cost/get new Tags ?

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post

I am looking at not retaining this for more than 2 years and it will be primarily for city driving - just thinking if there are any risks whatsoever with the high miles

Regards,
G
If you are not going to do any serious offroading/towing, why not look at a Toyota Highlander ? Will probably get one with lower miles in the same budget. Can you check when it last changed hands ?
If you scroll back some pages, during my budget car hunt I came across an Altima which said "one owner" (I have attached the carfax report), but it was hopping across dealerships and auto auctions since 2010, after the first owner let go of it. So do check if that is the case or the year the registration was last renewed. The reason I am asking this is the price seems to be quite low for a dealer sold vehicle, and 4Runners seem to hold their value very , very well.

Last edited by sajo : 6th October 2014 at 21:42. Reason: Added a reply.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:00   #4174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Does anyone know the paperwork required to move a car between two counties (cities) in the same state ? The DMV site provides information for people newly moving into the state, but nothing for moving between counties. Is re-registration required ? Will I have to pay any taxes/Registration cost/get new Tags ?
If you're moving residence within same state, then all you do is update address on your driving license & the vehicle registration. Most DMV websites let you do this online.

Only thing that might change is your car insurance premium, if that.

When the registration expires you renew it from the new address.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 03:50   #4175
BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
G
It depends on your needs, I would probably stick to a sedan for a budget of under 10k. Which place are you located? If you really want a SUV, consider RAV4 or CRV you may get a better car at the price your budgeted.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2014, 04:42   #4176
BHPian

Quote:
It depends on your needs, I would probably stick to a sedan for a budget of under 10k. Which place are you located? If you really want a SUV, consider RAV4 or CRV you may get a better car at the price your budgeted.
I am in Austin.Yes - I was searching for a RAV4 and came upon this For some reason I don't see any RAV4s or CRVs returned in my searches ( for a budget of <10K, any year )...may be I am doing something wrong or they are going out fast even before listing.

Last edited by KPGB : 7th October 2014 at 04:45.
Old 7th October 2014, 05:08   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
I am in Austin.Yes - I was searching for a RAV4 and came upon this For some reason I don't see any RAV4s or CRVs returned in my searches ( for a budget of <10K, any year )...may be I am doing something wrong or they are going out fast even before listing.
You can look in autotrader.com(here is what I found)

Again it could be a personal choice, are you looking only for SUV? You may find some really nice Civics under 10k range.
Old 7th October 2014, 09:29   #4178
BHPian

Need advise in buying an used car in Canada (ON).

I am back in Canada and will be in the market for an used car, in the next couple of months. Given the long and snowy winters, I am planning for an AWD/4x4 car/SUV. The ones on top of my list are :
1. Subaru Impreza
2. Ford Escape 4x4
3. Mitsubishi Lancer AWC

My budget is around 15K for cars in the 2010-11 year range with not more than 80K on the ODO. I absolutely loved my Mazda 3 in the US, but it does not come in AWD.

Please suggest any other car that I should also consider. Rusting is a common issue here, so, need to be careful.

Also, please suggest buying tips when specifically for an used Subaru and what can be the common pain points.

- Saurabh
Old 7th October 2014, 18:48   #4179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Need advise in buying an used car in Canada (ON).

I am back in Canada and will be in the market for an used car, in the next couple of months. Given the long and snowy winters, I am planning for an AWD/4x4 car/SUV. The ones on top of my list are :
1. Subaru Impreza
2. Ford Escape 4x4
3. Mitsubishi Lancer AWC

My budget is around 15K for cars in the 2010-11 year range with not more than 80K on the ODO. I absolutely loved my Mazda 3 in the US, but it does not come in AWD.

Please suggest any other car that I should also consider. Rusting is a common issue here, so, need to be careful.

Also, please suggest buying tips when specifically for an used Subaru and what can be the common pain points.

- Saurabh
Whereabouts in Canada are you? Toronto winter can easily be handled with a FWD car with winter tires. Mazda3 has rust issues otherwise its perfectly fine for areas around Toronto.

That being said, Imprezza might be you best all round option for an AWD vehicle. Add RAV4/CRV to your list too - You should be able to get one in your budget.
Old 8th October 2014, 02:49   #4180
BHPian

Thanks Mohit.

I am in Kitchener. Agreed, that Mazda 3 have rust issues, so may be staying away from them. I am also open about RAV4, so if I come across a good one, I may go for it. As of now, I have not come across a CRV AWD within my budget, but will surely pick up one, if I find them.
Old 8th October 2014, 07:29   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saurabh M View Post
Thanks Mohit.

I am in Kitchener. Agreed, that Mazda 3 have rust issues, so may be staying away from them. I am also open about RAV4, so if I come across a good one, I may go for it. As of now, I have not come across a CRV AWD within my budget, but will surely pick up one, if I find them.
Its a 2009

http://wwwa.autotrader.ca/a/Toyota/R...&orup=34_15_88

When it comes to choice, nothing beats the Imprezza. There are loads of them in your budget. CRV/RAV4/Tucson/Santa Fe are all there but fewer and the Hyundai offerings are majority FWD.
Old 9th October 2014, 22:25   #4182
BHPian

The RAV4 looks good. I am planning to get a car around Dec-Jan. Hope to get some of the good ones around that time of the year.
Old 13th October 2014, 22:36   #4183
Senior - BHPian

So, last Saturday me and my friend from thr neighbourhood finally changed the spark plugs on my car. Yup, all 16 of them. Once we were done with my car, we changed the spark plugs on his accord too.
It is really quite a simple task and i am glad i was able to save a couple of hundred bucks by doing it myself!

Yesterday took the car out on a drive down the mohawk trail in Mass, just to stretch her legs and make sure things were ok.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1413219970.686490.jpg
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 02:53   #4184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, last Saturday me and my friend from thr neighbourhood finally changed the spark plugs on my car. Yup, all 16 of them. Once we were done with my car, we changed the spark plugs on his accord too.
It is really quite a simple task and i am glad i was able to save a couple of hundred bucks by doing it myself!

Yesterday took the car out on a drive down the mohawk trail in Mass, just to stretch her legs and make sure things were ok.
Attachment 1298563
its always fun to work on cars, but even nicer when you actually save some bucks. Great to see the fall colors!

Have you been to the Mt. Washington Road?
Old 15th October 2014, 05:42   #4185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have you been to the Mt. Washington Road?
Yes. I think I have been there 3 times at least. Created a thread too the first time around

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sfield-vt.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks