Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:14   #4156
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If I'm correct, US regulations mandated rear turning indicators to be red colored until the mid-60s or so.

Later, after studies (), they realized that amber turning signals were more visible, so currently (mid-70's onwards?) rear turning signals are permitted to be red or amber. Fronts are to be amber only.

Rest of the world uses amber for front & rear.

As to why they permit amber as well as red rear indicators, I have no idea.
Looks like the red turn indicator color theme, still continues.... I drive a Jetta and that too has its turn indicators in Red
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:22   #4157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Looks like the red turn indicator color theme, still continues.... I drive a Jetta and that too has its turn indicators in Red
It's funny they do that, right?

You would think the German MFRs would be logical and stick to a universal part on cars they sell world-wide.

Anyway, if it bothers you, you can swap the lights out.

I did it on my previous car -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...fications.html
Old 2nd October 2014, 23:44   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know of a good garage in Los Angeles to take care of some mechanical work on a 350Z?
Old 3rd October 2014, 02:39   #4159
BHPian

Picked up a certified 2011 Town and country touring for 19k.

Debating about the MOPAR coverage offered by Chrysler.
Anyone has any experience with it? Is it worth putting $3200 for a lifetime, unlimited miles coverage.

It has a $100 deductible though.

Please advise
jraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2014, 05:34   #4160
BHPian

Hey jraj, congrats on the buy! May I ask how many miles on the odo and if it was previously owned by private owner or rental company?

Last week I rented the same van for a week and did 2400 miles and I'm pretty impressed with it performance. As my family is growing I will need a mini-van in next year or so and I'm seriously thinking about T&C.

I've driven my F-I-L's Sienna which I like but any time would prefer the T&C for it's driving dynamics and comfort.

-- Jose
Old 3rd October 2014, 21:19   #4161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Hey jraj, congrats on the buy! May I ask how many miles on the odo and if it was previously owned by private owner or rental company?

Last week I rented the same van for a week and did 2400 miles and I'm pretty impressed with it performance. As my family is growing I will need a mini-van in next year or so and I'm seriously thinking about T&C.

I've driven my F-I-L's Sienna which I like but any time would prefer the T&C for it's driving dynamics and comfort.

-- Jose
Hey Jose,

It had 36,xxx miles.It was owned by a private person .He returned it when his 3 year lease ended.I too was looking at the Sienna as a certified preowned vehicle.But as is always,Toyota and Honda quote very high prices.

Thats when I started looking at T&C.Go for it - its a big hit with the kids as well,with the rear entertainment system.
jraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 04:43   #4162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Anyone know of a good garage in Los Angeles to take care of some mechanical work on a 350Z?
There is a shop in El Monte my friend takes his 350, I will get you the details shortly.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2014, 09:00   #4163
BHPian

Hey folks,

Need some suggestion - is 2003 Toyota 4Runner for $8K a good deal ? A Nissan dealer has advertised for this here in Austin..it has run ~170K with a car fax 1 owner report.

Regards,
G
Old 4th October 2014, 10:54   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Small rant: Anyone faced a issue of parking a car in a lot and having someone swipe the car? Happened to me today at work. The owner didnt even leave a note and worse of all i am left with a large gash with paint gone on my front bumper!

Planning on checking if any camera faced my way but i would love to find how you deal with such a situation?

Maddy
Has happened a lot with my older vehicles (including scratching side with keys etc.)
But the ultimate happened last week - some idiot splashed coffee right across the hood of my freshly washed white family van (it has been only five months since I bought it).
Some total weirdos are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Picked up a certified 2011 Town and country touring for 19k.

Debating about the MOPAR coverage offered by Chrysler.
Anyone has any experience with it? Is it worth putting $3200 for a lifetime, unlimited miles coverage.

It has a $100 deductible though.

Please advise
I personally got scammed a long time ago on extended warranty from "Warranty USA" which declared bankruptcy in 2002 and there was a class action lawsuit etc.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov..._usa_faq.shtml

Never got back a dime and all I can say is that I lost 1500$ in 1999-2000 and have been very wary ever since.

As for the van, we actually went in to the dealership to buy a used van and found a better deal on a brand new 2014 Dodge grand caravan with AVP (American Value Package).
Those vehicles are not advertised or pushed by the dealer since it is a no frills version and comes only in white color.
Happened to see one on the lot in an obscure corner and literally had to ask more details about it.
It came with an all inclusive on road price of "20,600 USD" at zero percent apr.
Thought it to be a great bargain plus it also came along with the peace of mind of a new vehicle warranty period.

Please check with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) about the actual provider of these warranties. Am posting a sample below just so that you get an idea as to how they play games.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Warran...s-of-con-36632

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_..._warranty.html

Good luck to you.

Last edited by vulcanize : 4th October 2014 at 11:03. Reason: Adding link
Old 4th October 2014, 21:49   #4165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Hey folks,

Need some suggestion - is 2003 Toyota 4Runner for $8K a good deal ? A Nissan dealer has advertised for this here in Austin..it has run ~170K with a car fax 1 owner report.

Regards,
G
I would stay away considering the miles on it.
Old 4th October 2014, 23:53   #4166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
My buddy fixes his at this shop

Pit Crew Motorsport
1817 S San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Phone number (626) 573-1837

Have heard of oil burn on 06-08, is that the trouble you have?
Old 5th October 2014, 09:25   #4167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
My buddy fixes his at this shop

Pit Crew Motorsport
1817 S San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Phone number (626) 573-1837

Have heard of oil burn on 06-08, is that the trouble you have?
Thanks, that's awesome. Not too far for me then. Gonna take in to Nissan and get an oil change and engine service, and have them diagnose the car. Then I'll go about fixing things. The problem is with the suspension, stuff is creaking quite a bit at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Things need some oiling and tightening up, maybe even a couple of new bushes bearings or some such.
Old 5th October 2014, 20:04   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Hey folks,

Regards,
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I would stay away considering the miles on it.
The pricing is within the kelley blue book range, but the high miles are of slight concern even though am sure that it will easily run upto 300k with very little issues.
May be keep bargaining for a price reduction perhaps?
vulcanize is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 05:44   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post

I personally got scammed a long time ago on extended warranty from "Warranty USA" which declared bankruptcy in 2002 and there was a class action lawsuit etc.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov..._usa_faq.shtml

Never got back a dime and all I can say is that I lost 1500$ in 1999-2000 and have been very wary ever since.

As for the van, we actually went in to the dealership to buy a used van and found a better deal on a brand new 2014 Dodge grand caravan with AVP (American Value Package).
Those vehicles are not advertised or pushed by the dealer since it is a no frills version and comes only in white color.
Happened to see one on the lot in an obscure corner and literally had to ask more details about it.
It came with an all inclusive on road price of "20,600 USD" at zero percent apr.
Thought it to be a great bargain plus it also came along with the peace of mind of a new vehicle warranty period.

Please check with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) about the actual provider of these warranties. Am posting a sample below just so that you get an idea as to how they play games.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Warran...s-of-con-36632

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto_..._warranty.html

Good luck to you.
Thanks for all the valuable info
The plan is offered and backed by Chrysler Group LLC themselves. So guess it should be fine.
Old 6th October 2014, 05:49   #4170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post
The pricing is within the kelley blue book range, but the high miles are of slight concern even though am sure that it will easily run upto 300k with very little issues.
May be keep bargaining for a price reduction perhaps?
I was thinking they last for upto 200k max. But then again it would be a good buy for city driving?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks