Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 02:34   #4141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help for buying a used car in the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Yes, I have faced something similar, but only ended up with minor scrapes. If this is your work parking lot, you maybe able to see who has fresh scrapes and do some paint color matching and get the culprit
Too many cars with a lot of scratches and for my bad luck there aint a camera outside in the lot! Now i have to find a solution myself.

You take all effort to maintain your car, polish, wax. Do everything and one day an idiot comes to scratch it so bad you cant even look at it without breaking your heart! Sigh wish all of us also could deal with it like its just a object!

Maddy
Old 27th September 2014, 09:43   #4142
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

My wife's Odyssey (I refuse to call it mine even though it is registered under my name ) once got scraped by someone outside YMCA. The scraper lady was heading back towards the building to give her information when my wife walked out. She apologized and gave her number to cover the repair cost. Since the scrape was easy to remove with some buffing, I didn't pursue the matter any further.

On the other hand, my friend's car in California got scraped. They called the cops. Cops came, looked at the damage and said, "Put a band aid on it"

Disclaimer: I don't have any point here. Just felt like sharing
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 10:10   #4143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
On the other hand, my friend's car in California got scraped. They called the cops. Cops came, looked at the damage and said, "Put a band aid on it"

Disclaimer: I don't have any point here. Just felt like sharing
Haha thanks man! Felt light after this. What i plan on doing is get a collection of such scrapes fixed together and will probably get a quote on this next week.

Realised driving is dangerous. Thank god it was when the car was parked and not something major on the freeway.

My bikes been fixed, with a new windscreen. At $230. Now need to ride more before it sees the shop.

Maddy
Old 30th September 2014, 23:18   #4144
Senior - BHPian

Find out where your car ranks in getting most tickets!
http://www.insurance.com/auto-insura...t-tickets.html

A little article here:
http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...t-us/16478571/

I am surprised Prius C came in at 20th!! My charger came in at 70!

Suffice it to say though, that if you are driving an STI and not getting ticketed, then you aint driving it right, brother!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 04:59   #4145
BHPian

It probably also depends on the age group that typically drive these cars. Cars like STI and EVO seem to typically driven by younger guys and as we know, testosterone and the right leg have a real close relationship.

Amitoj, I was wondering, if you ever considered a Saab or a Volvo, when you were looking for that mid-sized peformance car. There must be some nice deals out there especially, on the Saabs! They're pretty nice rides.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 05:25   #4146
BANNED

Re: Help for buying a used car in the United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
You take all effort to maintain your car, polish, wax. Do everything and one day an idiot comes to scratch it so bad you cant even look at it without breaking your heart! Sigh wish all of us also could deal with it like its just a object! Maddy
Our own daughter (then 3 years old) drew a big happy face with a rock on our SUV. Who do I call then After she grew up she used to call grand parents, relatives and friends to show that as her badge of honor.

Same deal with cars parked in the garage. Sometimes they open the doors carelessly only to ding the car parked next to it. The first scratch was painful, then I gave up saying - I will buy a fun sports car when the kids move out!
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 21:28   #4147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Amitoj, I was wondering, if you ever considered a Saab or a Volvo, when you were looking for that mid-sized peformance car. There must be some nice deals out there especially, on the Saabs! They're pretty nice rides.
Yeah i did come across a few Saabs but honestly, I did not give them much thought. They all seemed to be... aged.
As for Volvos, I think a couple of C30s did pop up on my search but i was dissuaded by its rear. Otherwise the car looked nice.

Does the month-end theory apply to used cars, btw? I was hoping that some dealers will get back to me to at least check with me whether i am in the market or not by the end of the month, but nope! Nothing!!
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:27   #4148
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah i did come across a few Saabs but honestly, I did not give them much thought. They all seemed to be... aged.
As for Volvos, I think a couple of C30s did pop up on my search but i was dissuaded by its rear. Otherwise the car looked nice.

Does the month-end theory apply to used cars, btw? I was hoping that some dealers will get back to me to at least check with me whether i am in the market or not by the end of the month, but nope! Nothing!!
I don't think it applies as much here, I usually get calls for a week or so then it fades away. However I do get mails with deals and current inventory.
Old 2nd October 2014, 16:10   #4149
Senior - BHPian

What about selling your car? Does such timing matter?
I know there is some seasonality to it, like selling a convertible just before winters here in New England will probably not get you a good deal. Selling an AWD car might get you a better deal now than in summer? But the month end/year end funda: Does it apply to selling your car?
Old 2nd October 2014, 18:31   #4150
BHPian

Where the heck is my spare tire?

Interesting article - new cars don't have spare tire

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/where-h...120000776.html

vulcanize is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:27   #4151
Senior - BHPian

^^ From the article:
Quote:
ditching a 45-pound spare might seem like a reasonable gamble for carmakers to take to save gas
Seriously?? How much gas can you save by reducing the weight of a car by roughly 1%? I am sure it is more about saving cost than gas (except in the case of run flats)
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 19:59   #4152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ From the article:

Seriously?? How much gas can you save by reducing the weight of a car by roughly 1%? I am sure it is more about saving cost than gas (except in the case of run flats)
Every 1% counts - spare tire delete has been in the vogue for a while now. Which is also why some cars have RFTs which lets you drive a good distance even after puncture. It may not be possible to achieve a 10 or 15% cut in weight in just one area, so all of these 1% count.
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:32   #4153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Every 1% counts - spare tire delete has been in the vogue for a while now. Which is also why some cars have RFTs which lets you drive a good distance even after puncture. It may not be possible to achieve a 10 or 15% cut in weight in just one area, so all of these 1% count.
Sure but at what cost to the consumer? The tire inflation kit is going to do nothing when someone is stranded in the middle of nowhere with a ruptured sidewall.
Old 2nd October 2014, 20:57   #4154
BHPian

Off late I have noticed a lot of cars here in US having their turn indicators in red!! I mean, its rather confusing at times when the rear lights glow up and also the turn indicators are switched on! Any reason why the turn indicators are not in amber color anymore???

And... I found this link, that is exactly taking about the same issue!!

http://jalopnik.com/important-what-d...dic-1576554304

Last edited by vinair : 2nd October 2014 at 21:00.
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:08   #4155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Off late I have noticed a lot of cars here in US having their turn indicators in red!! I mean, its rather confusing at times when the rear lights glow up and also the turn indicators are switched on! Any reason why the turn indicators are not in amber color anymore???
If I'm correct, US regulations mandated rear turning indicators to be red colored until the mid-60s or so.

Later, after studies (), they realized that amber turning signals were more visible, so currently (mid-70's onwards?) rear turning signals are permitted to be red or amber. Fronts are to be amber only.

Rest of the world uses amber for front & rear.

As to why they permit amber as well as red rear indicators, I have no idea.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks