Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:44   #4081
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It is good that you guys are giving me so many choices to consider! Because the part of the country I am in, there aren't too many big dealers around. I will need to drive on an average 50 miles to get to a dealer that lists the car i want. And then once at the dealer, i will need to act casually that i am just passing by and dropped in to see if they have anything i like blah blah blah
Did you look for something yet? Was the weekend "fruitful"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish_veera View Post
How about BMW 328i 6 Speed? You will be able to find 2011/12 models with less than 50k miles with manufacturer warranty. You can buy extended warranty for the reliability factor. But the price may hover around 22 - 24K if you are looking for manual.
the 2011 328i is an inline 6 - not a turbo motor, which is what he wants to get. 2012 328i are closer to 30k than to 20k right now, especially the lease returns.
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:02   #4082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
This was the last long weekend of the summer, so it was spent here:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-photo.jpg

Now the hunt will start. There is a single owner WRX available that has done 20K miles. Its asking price is 24K. I wonder how low I can get them to go on it.

Quote:
the 2011 328i is an inline 6 - not a turbo motor, which is what he wants to get. 2012 328i are closer to 30k than to 20k right now, especially the lease returns.
Thanks! I didn't get a chance to reply because Friday was spent dreaming about the beaches and the weekend was spent AT the beaches
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:21   #4083
Senior - BHPian

**Noob alert**

I took my beater Corolla on its first proper highway trip this weekend.
And immediately observed tremendous wind buffeting whenever I am behind a a semi or alongside one,at speeds in excess of 75 mph. Its so bad that its disconcerting and I have to constantly fight the wheel. When I am not alongside one, its not very noticeable. I can easily hit speed limits and a bit beyond without any sway. I had my wheels aligned and the tires rotated and balanced at neighborhood Firestone (costing an arm and a leg btw), so its probably not that. The tires are in okay condition too.
Google search for this particular model does not show up any significant results for this problem. What am I doing wrong ?

On the positive side, I crossed 40mpg for the first time, and that includes about an hour of idling time and bumper to bumper traffic in downtown.
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:39   #4084
Senior - BHPian

@amit did you check carmax? Heard the warranty is pretty good there.

Update on the Hyundai sonata my friend bought.
The car was given for service to change the fluids and get the allignment done. During this the mechanic spotted the radiator is busted and the cv joints needed to be replaced. Got all this done along with changing one of the auto lock actuators for a cost of $850. Is this fair price?

Now a new issue has cropped up and you can give your suggestions on what it could be. At slow speeds when you apply the brake the car jerks like its having hiccups. This is only while using the brake.

What could be the reason? Brakes, allignment or anything else? Mechanic says could be the crankshaft.

Buying used is surely a gamble!

Let me know what you folks think.

Maddy
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:24   #4085
BANNED

Quote:
This was the last long weekend of the summer, so it was spent here:
That's a fine pic.

My best drive and pic for this summer is from Maui. Had a great time driving on the Road to Hana. Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_6549.jpg

Last edited by prasadee : 3rd September 2014 at 04:26.
prasadee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 04:39   #4086
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What am I doing wrong ?
Slow down to 55/60 & likely you will feel reduced buffeting when the semi flies by.

When passing a truck or being passed try moving towards the edge of the lane that you're driving in - further from the truck. That might help a little bit.

If you want to get a thrill, rent a Geo/Chevy Metro - pity they don't make those anymore.
I used to experience the same effect when we used to rent those during University days.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 21:56   #4087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
**Noob alert**

I took my beater Corolla on its first proper highway trip this weekend.
And immediately observed tremendous wind buffeting whenever I am behind a a semi or alongside one,at speeds in excess of 75 mph. Its so bad that its disconcerting and I have to constantly fight the wheel. When I am not alongside one, its not very noticeable. I can easily hit speed limits and a bit beyond without any sway. I had my wheels aligned and the tires rotated and balanced at neighborhood Firestone (costing an arm and a leg btw), so its probably not that. The tires are in okay condition too.
Google search for this particular model does not show up any significant results for this problem. What am I doing wrong ?

On the positive side, I crossed 40mpg for the first time, and that includes about an hour of idling time and bumper to bumper traffic in downtown.
Light car + speed + wind = buffeting. There's no way around it unfortunately.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 05:04   #4088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe. Sorry i should have given you the whole picture. These are the requirements:
1. Manual transmission
2. Fuel efficient
3. Turbo charged
4. Good handling
5. Most importantly, under 20K.
6. Since it will replace my daily driver, it needs to be reliable too.
7. Should be able to seat 2 adults and 2 kids.

I am not asking for much. Am I?
Well, the criteria just got tougher. Now the car needs to be for under 15K. And the Charger should fetch 25K+. That should give me a very manageable 5K balance.

But, in true automotive spirit, i will not stop to aspire! That is why I have sent enquiries for 2 2008 BMW 335xi coupes Both have done 75K miles and are asking for around 20K. One of them has been on sale since May. So, hopefully the dealer will be desperate enough to get rid of it. It's average trade in as per NADA is around 15K only.

I also see a lot of Audi A4s (2T Quattro) as well as Mini's available. But I am somehow not too keen on either of those. Although, I believe the Audi A4 2.0T has the same engine as VW GTI?

Quote:
I test drove a MazdaSpeed3 today that has done close to 80K miles and is listed at 15K. Well, the dealer offered 24K for the Charger but somehow 15K is too much asking price for the Mazda. I may consider it if it were 14K. The dealer might come down to it if i go back to them. They also give a lifetime powertrain warranty. But it is too soon in the game for me to seal a deal.

Anyway, that car is one rocket!! Phew! Before I realized it, I had hit 90mph. The pushback from the turbo becomes addictive real quick. The car was too loud though. And when turbo was not spooling, the car seemed to drag. Is it normal for turbocharged cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
@amit did you check carmax? Heard the warranty is pretty good there.

What could be the reason? Brakes, allignment or anything else? Mechanic says could be the crankshaft.

Buying used is surely a gamble!

Let me know what you folks think.

Maddy
Carmax warranty is good but they are not cheap either. The one closest to where I am, which is still more than an hour's drive away, does not have any cars that match my criteria.

Tomorrow, i will see if I can test drive a WRX. Will keep you guys updated.

Cheers
And thanks for all your inputs!
Amitoj
Old 5th September 2014, 06:00   #4089
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been driving around a rental Chevy Cruze here in Denver to cover my 6 week stay. I can say that the car is OK (but cant see why people should pay Rs 20 lakhs back home though), but that autobox is rubbish: its seems rather confused on when to select a down/up shift.
Old 5th September 2014, 19:16   #4090
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the criteria just got tougher. Now the car needs to be for under 15K. And the Charger should fetch 25K+. That should give me a very manageable 5K balance.
What do you think of this one?? Owner is a reputed s2ki forum member and makes shift knobs in his spare time. Fits your criteria and budget.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1095...efully-modded/
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 19:53   #4091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
What do you think of this one?? Owner is a reputed s2ki forum member and makes shift knobs in his spare time. Fits your criteria and budget.
Thanks Jomz! I didnt understand half the mods he has listed
In other words, I dont think I deserve that car. Besides, he is 6 to 7 hours away from me.

I am planning to visit a dealer tomorrow that has a 335xi, a WRX STi and a WRX for sale. Any thoughts?

2008 BMW 335xi

2007 WRX STi

2006 WRX

I hope the links work.
Old 5th September 2014, 21:35   #4092
BHPian

Just saw this on Jalopnik:

If you're in the US, you can get a Focus ST with the basic St1 trim for just 23k BEFORE incentives.

If Ford USA is as good as Ford Canada at throwing incentives in your face, that means you probably can get one for less than 20 grand at 0% financing.

That's a pretty sweet deal.

Want to get a new one Amitoj?
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 21:37   #4093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2008 BMW 335xi

2007 WRX STi

2006 WRX

I hope the links work.
The links do work. Of the lot, I liked the BMW the most - but then as they say, good things come at a price. Expect maintenance costs are higher, even if there are no major issues. If there are issues, then pray to god

Can you get a 2 or 3 year warranty with the BMW? Maybe a 40000 mile bumper to bumper warranty would be a good idea? You can look for the warranty outside of the dealer - dealer prices are high.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 00:34   #4094
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Jomz! I didnt understand half the mods he has listed
In other words, I dont think I deserve that car. Besides, he is 6 to 7 hours away from me.

I am planning to visit a dealer tomorrow that has a 335xi, a WRX STi and a WRX for sale. Any thoughts?
I hope the links work.
EJ motors since 07 STI's started the trend of the ringland problems with Subaru's. So make sure you carefully go through the car history. Just google "07 sti ringland problems" to know more about the issue.

Didn't the BMW's of that gen have issues with fuel pump? Take a look if it was replaced as there was a recall for it.
gatham.psb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2014, 01:38   #4095
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatham.psb View Post
Didn't the BMW's of that gen have issues with fuel pump? Take a look if it was replaced as there was a recall for it.
Yes, there is a recall for the high pressure fuel pump, and also one for the injectors.

By the way, 4 people will not be very comfortable in a coupe.

Also, the WRX & STi are also short on space.
Fine for 2 adults, 2 kids but uncomfortable for 3 adults in the back.

Also, older people (parents) will not like the rear suspension.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks