Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2014, 22:03   #4021
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Oooh. 2010 was the year when the much improved Mk6 was launched. Your friend is trying to sell a nearly 10 year old car which is also 2 generations old, which IMO he bought at a high price to begin with!! Wont exactly call it the car's fault.

But my question was related to reliability issues. Thanks for the link. That should help.
5 year old GTI Autobahn's usually go for like 15-20k. He bought at the lower end of the price in 2010. If you can find cheaper, Great. IMO he bought at a great price.

I was comparing the GTI resale to my 2005 S2000 bought in 2010 for 16k. I was easily able to sell that in 2013 for 14k.

Anyway Have fun on vw vortex.

I wonder are desi enthusiasts in US part of any other car forums??
I'm on corvetteforum, 6speedonline, s2ki, vwvortex, ft86club, nasioc, evolutionm.
Are there any others worth looking??

Last edited by Jomz : 13th August 2014 at 22:10.
Old 13th August 2014, 22:46   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

IMO Thats not a fair comparison. S2000 is not being sold anymore and that adds to its enthu quotient because of its reputation. Whereas there are better versions of GTI being pumped into the second hand market as we speak. I see a few 2010+ GTIs with around 30k mikes being sold for 18 to 20k. Thats why 15k for a 5 year old one seems too high. Maybe things were different in 2010 but still selling any car two generations older will suffer from severe drop in resale. Unless it is because the car is not reliable. Which was my original question.

I do sometimes frequent lxforums, chargerforums and autogrekonline. Most of the forums here are car specific. Is there any tbhp equivalent?

Last edited by amitoj : 13th August 2014 at 22:48.
Old 14th August 2014, 22:47   #4023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
www.vwvortex.com , It has pretty much all Info on GTI's.
Quote:
Guys, what is the feedback for 2010+ Volkswagen GTIs? I know the automatics suffer from the typical DSG issues but what about the ones with manual transmission?
So, it seems water pump going kaput is the most common issue. Followed by clutch wear.
Old 18th August 2014, 07:50   #4024
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to make a video of the pipes.
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 05:33   #4025
Senior - BHPian

This is with regards to the search for a car for my friend. OMG i am amazed at what the used market comes up with.

Summary of the 6 cars we saw: The first three cars were indian sellers. Cars 5 and 6 were spanish.

1) Car was a Nissan Altima 2007 at 5k. Had no paint on the roof, bonnet and boot. Drove weirdly too. Dropped the idea.

2) Nissan sentra 2005 for 4900. Looked ok, one bumper had a crack, the sunglass holder came off frequently during our drive and the piece of cake was the Power windows failing when we were driving and the window refusing to come up.

3) Nissan Sentra limited version 2005 for 6400: The kbb was at 5900 but he refused to come to that price as he saw it at 6900 one week before. Car was fine but needed some basic work. Price was the reason for the rejection.

4) Hyundai accent 2007 for 5k. Amazing car well maintained. The thing which ruined it was the lack of Power windows and autolock. Else would have picked it up.

The funny cars begin:
5) Chevy mailbu with 90k miles for 5900. Car was ok. Drove ok made some noise. Doors creaked and the owner was in jail. We were being shown the car by his brother. We were not very comfy with this and also the car didnt shout out "Buy Me". Dropped this one.

6) Buick 2007: OMG this was a piece of junk. Shady area of phx and this car was being sold by the guy willing to take any price we offered. We dropped the price by 600 and he accepted. The inside of the car was a mess. Smelled of c#$% and had a bullet hole or some hole in the front seat. The seats were dirty and the car was so yuck we were feeling dirty when we got out.

Would you have picked any of these cars?

Maddy
Old 22nd August 2014, 02:50   #4026
BHPian

Quote:
So, it seems water pump going kaput is the most common issue. Followed by clutch wear.
Water pump going kaput seems to be common issue with Tsi globally.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2014, 16:58   #4027
BHPian

Hi guys, I need help from you TBHPians at USA.

My brother is relocating to US (Minneapolis) this coming Sunday and has shortlisted 1. Honda Accord, 2. Honda CRV, 3 Mazda CX5 and Hyundai Santa Fe to buy very soon on arriving at his place there.

He is accompanied with his family that consist of his wife and 2 kids (2 and 7 year old).

Are there any good alternative car you would recommend or could you please help him finalize amongst the above listed cars?

Is it a good idea to purchase outright or to go for lease?

Thanks a ton for your assistance.

Ashok
Old 23rd August 2014, 22:33   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Hi guys, I need help from you TBHPians at USA.

My brother is relocating to US (Minneapolis) this coming Sunday and has shortlisted 1. Honda Accord, 2. Honda CRV, 3 Mazda CX5 and Hyundai Santa Fe to buy very soon on arriving at his place there.

He is accompanied with his family that consist of his wife and 2 kids (2 and 7 year old).

Are there any good alternative car you would recommend or could you please help him finalize amongst the above listed cars?

Is it a good idea to purchase outright or to go for lease?

Thanks a ton for your assistance.

Ashok
If he is looking to buy a new car, there are lots of discounts going on for Nissan Altima.

If you could give more specifics as mentioned in the post it will be easier for members to provide their suggestions
Link
Old 24th August 2014, 13:04   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
If he is looking to buy a new car, there are lots of discounts going on for Nissan Altima.

If you could give more specifics as mentioned in the post it will be easier for members to provide their suggestions
Link
Hey kraft.wagen thanks for your early reply.

He is looking to buy a new car. Nissan Altima seems to be a nice car. So what sort of discounts that could be expected with this car?.

Now for usage, well the car will be mostly used to commute from office to Home ( one way distance of about 20 Miles) and fortnightly week end drive of about 400-500 miles. so that will be 1500-1800 miles per month.

He is a sedate driver and prefers safety over performance. He may sell the car after 2-3 years so resale value of the car is an important factor. He is keen on a sturdy, reliable and safe car with good service network and a decent resale value.
Old 25th August 2014, 08:53   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
This is with regards to the search for a car for my friend. OMG i am amazed at what the used market comes up with.

Would you have picked any of these cars?

Maddy
Hi,

I would pick up the Hyundai. I just did pick up mine recently. The practical and relatively inexpensive car to own. Great gas mileage at 35-40mpg. The cash saved has been used to get a GPS and a nice HU from pioneer.

The manual lock and windows are liveable for peace of mind. Also, these cars are generally low mileage since I see that the general preference is for bigger engined and heavier cars. The low odometer figures are a boon in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 18:57   #4031
BHPian

C7 Z06 prices released.

Just 80k.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/22/c...cing-official/
Old 25th August 2014, 20:06   #4032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depreciation is my friend.

Would be under 40k in 3 years? What would you think? And 20k in 6 years? By then maybe the next gen (hybrid) corvette would be out?
Old 25th August 2014, 21:11   #4033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Depreciation is my friend.

Would be under 40k in 3 years? What would you think? And 20k in 6 years? By then maybe the next gen (hybrid) corvette would be out?
Not under 40k. This announcement would cause some of the 2014 Stingray guys to drop their cars and go for the Z06, So could pick up the Stingray for like 40k.

The C6 ZR1 guys may also dump the car, So A ZR1 at 65k might be possible.

The hard hit would be the C6 Z06 guys, that car was already at 40k, Now it would be in the high 20's Low 30's. 500Hp for 32k... I might get one.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:16   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
500Hp for 32k... I might get one.
Great times for horsepower junkies these. 32k 500 hp, not so old 2 seater super car, 4 door sedan (or 2 door large coupe) with 707 hp (the hellcat charger/challenger) for 60k brand new - Loads of HP everywhere..
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 21:35   #4035
Senior - BHPian

Short term car purchase

Hello Folks , I know a guy here in Nashville, who has been here for a couple of years, but didnt buy a car because he could get around by car pooling. However, due to some issue, the guys whom he used to carpool with all got transferred out of the city, and he is now left without a ride to anywhere. I ask him to tag along whenever I am getting groceries , but he still needs a ride for work.
The caveat here is, his assignment is ending for sure in Dec'14. So we are dilly dallying on whether to buy a car for 4 months or not.
What are the cheapest short term car options out there ?
Will it be cheaper to :
- Buy a cheap CamCordIma now, hope to sell it for minimal loss after 4 months.
- Rent a car for 4 months, but that would be a big hit, considering economy rentals are about $500 a month + I am guessing an equal amount for insurance.
- Any other suggestions ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks