Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 23:01   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Speaking of Civic SI, i wonder if it is really a fun to drive car after watching this video:

I have not personally driven one so I can't say for sure. My neighbor has an Accord and when i mentioned this to him, he says his car also does this.

Do we have any SI owners here?
Interesting indeed, you neighbor has a Stick shift Accord? Form what i have read on Accord forums, the SI is quicker than V6 Auto but slower than V6 manual.

Again this is something that only a hardcode manual guy would notice & thats how Honda is getting away with it.
Old 7th August 2014, 23:31   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Interesting indeed, you neighbor has a Stick shift Accord? Form what i have read on Accord forums, the SI is quicker than V6 Auto but slower than V6 manual.

Again this is something that only a hardcode manual guy would notice & thats how Honda is getting away with it.
He has an auto. I do have some doubts over whether he does actually see this or not. But, if the problem is at the ECU level (since it can be fixed by reflashing the ECU) wont the auto one also have this issue?
Old 8th August 2014, 00:03   #3993
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am planning to buy a used 2008 BMW X5 (3.0 si- V6) from a private party with around 60K miles on it. There is no warranty on the vehicle .How is the reliability and maintenance cost.?

Based on the reviews that I read, 2008 and 2009 models have the worst reliability ratings.Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Thanks @vineethvazhayil.
Ha. I was in conversation with my friends and the advice was, now that I have spent 20k on a family car, don't spend more than 8k on your second car. And I take that.
And so I'll have to strike out the 'Fun to Drive' part from my requirement list.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Under 8K
3. Good Fuel Efficiency.

And ofcourse a car that doesn't make a weekly trip to a mechanic.
You can go for a used Civic - trouble free, fuel efficient and fun to drive. Manual transmission are cheaper. Lexus IS200 also is a good option.

You can buy from craigslist as you get nice deals there. Please make sure that you run a carfax before you buy if you are buying from RI. Reconstructed/ Rebuit titles from other states (MA) are re-issued as clean titles in RI.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th August 2014 at 00:23. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 8th August 2014, 00:24   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Anybody changed the spark plugs of their car recently? Themselves?
Turns out that my car uses two spark plugs per cylinder and the cost of replacing all 16 of them is damn near 500 USD!!
I am thinking of doing this myself.
Old 8th August 2014, 00:45   #3995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Hi Guys, I am planning to buy a used 2008 BMW X5 (3.0 si- V6) from a private party with around 60K miles on it. There is no warranty on the vehicle .How is the reliability and maintenance cost.?

Based on the reviews that I read, 2008 and 2009 models have the worst reliability ratings.Is this true?
That'll be the inline-6 engine (N52 same as on the E90 328i if I'm correct). BMW doesn't offer any V6s. The engine itself was reliable.

Reliability is difficult to tell without looking at the SUV. 6yrs & 60000miles, you'll definitely need to spend some money somewhere.

Do you do basic maintenance (oil change, etc.) yourself or get it done at a dealer?
If you do maintenance yourself, then it's not too expensive.
If all service is performed at dealer, then it's expensive.

60k means you'll be needing spark-plugs, unless owner has them changed already.
If everything has been regularly maintained, you'll probably only need brake-pads (plus, rotors maybe, depending on condition).
Tires & wheels depending on condition. OEM BMW wheels are strong but do get battered on bad roads.

Do you have a service history - that will give you an idea of condition, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Anybody changed the spark plugs of their car recently? Themselves?
Turns out that my car uses two spark plugs per cylinder and the cost of replacing all 16 of them is damn near 500 USD!!
I am thinking of doing this myself.
$500 at dealer? Dealer is over-charging for sure - Should be closer to $300. You need to change at what 60k miles or 100k miles?

I do my plugs myself. Yes, DIY - it's not a difficult job at all. Should be like under $40 for the plugs. Plus you need a torque wrench.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th August 2014 at 00:47.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 01:49   #3996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
$500 at dealer? Dealer is over-charging for sure - Should be closer to $300. You need to change at what 60k miles or 100k miles?

I do my plugs myself. Yes, DIY - it's not a difficult job at all. Should be like under $40 for the plugs. Plus you need a torque wrench.
I checked at Midas too and they also quoted nearly the same (460 USD)

What else would i need apart from torque wrench? An extension tube sort of thing? And a gap measurer? Some articles mention coating anti freeze also.

Will see how helpful the folks at Autozone really are!
Old 8th August 2014, 02:51   #3997
Team-BHP Support

Basic tools are:
  • Ratchet wrench (3/8" or 1/2" drive) [Most mechanical guys don't recommend but since the spark plug torque is usually low @ 25N-m, you can use the torque wrench instead of a ratchet wrench to break torque, I guess].
  • Torque wrench (3/8" or 1/2" drive).
  • Hex head socket set with extension (if required).
  • Spark plug removal tool (this is a 6 or 12 point thin-walled deep socket).
  • Plug pull-out tool - basically a stiff rubber tube that grips the plug to pull out if it's set too deep inside.
  • Screw-driver, if the engine cover is screwed on. (not required if engine cover pops-out.

New spark plugs come pre-gapped but traditionalists (read as old people) will tell you to check the gap. I've never checked, but the spark-plug box should have the gap printed on it.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th August 2014 at 02:54.
aah78 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 06:39   #3998
BHPian

I'm back on the saddle again...

2012 Anniversary Edition HD VRSCDX- aka. The Vrod.

Price tag, $12,000. Very fair, I think. Didn't really bargain, just simply did not want to take a chance of letting it slip thru.

Specs:

Type - Power Cruiser
1250 CC liquid cooled V-Twin (from the HD racing division and developed in conjunction with Porsche), 125 bhp,
~90 lb.ft Torque (upto 50 lb.ft available by 3000 RPM, 9000 rpm redline (yup, not your typical Harley)
Lean Angle - 32 degrees (no Duc, but decent)
Curb Weight - a whopping ~650 lbs.
If you're wondering, that rear tire is a 240.

Comes with complete ABS, Security package, was an absolute requirement of mine, but apparently lot of guys who bought this model decided to not opt this $1200 option! It's standard for 2013 models onward. This one is absolutely identical to the new models but, this color combo however, apparently will not be available. Also, some after market goodies already installed such as, pillion backrest, grips and who knows what else. May be good surprises are in store.

Been searching for the right one for a while. Decided to let go the more popular blacked out Night Rod Special. Started wanting the NRS but slowly realized this is more special and a more limited edition. Now, my pulse races every time I look at it. Hoping the transporter will be extra careful in dealing with this baby. Now keeping all that bling clean, that'll be the challenge. But what's the price to pay for a little bit of joy. And thankfully, I'm in rain challenged Vegas.

Haven't inked the papers yet but, advance paid. Now the torture of waiting begins.

Thanks.

Pics - courtesy dealer

Hello Sweetheart:
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_1.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_3.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_7.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_4.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_5.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_2.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-image_6.jpg
VLOCT is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 12:54   #3999
Senior - BHPian

Wow this is really gorgeous. Enjoy the ride and ride safe. You should be spending double the time polishing this beauty!

Query. I live in a apartment complex. How can one wash his motorcycle as there is no pipe or tap nearby? Bucket and cloth seems to be only option!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 19:26   #4000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post

You are on a scoring spree, hitting one home run after the other. Congrats, man!
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 19:49   #4001
BHPian

Quote:

This is sweet! I am a fan of the Night Rod but this combination works equally well - silver and chrome just gel together. Congratulations!
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 22:42   #4002
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support

Forum Members: Due to large number of repeated queries for similar cars some posting guidelines have been added to the first post.
Please check here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...tml#post125825 (Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America)

Thank you!
aah78 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 01:44   #4003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Wow this is really gorgeous. Enjoy the ride and ride safe. You should be spending double the time polishing this beauty!

Query. I live in a apartment complex. How can one wash his motorcycle as there is no pipe or tap nearby? Bucket and cloth seems to be only option!
Thanks Maddy. Are you getting that much dirt on the Duc, in Phoenix? Bucket and Sponge, if there is no car wash area or a tap provided by the apartment, is the best choice. Personally, I use Chadwick's triple play. Easy, breezy but, not cheap. I simply don't like hard water on my vehicles on a regular basis except, to wash the wheels and underside. I'm not sure if this works in places where it snows, though. Too much salt to clean. Did I say, I love Vegas!

If there is a water tap provided, I'l get a hose and a nozzle. But if we're just talking dust, just use a California Duster. That's what I use on my cars, here in Vegas to keep the body work clean of dust. Works fine and doesn't scratch the paint. Apparently the dirtier the Duster gets, the better it attracts dust. Available at Autozone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
You are on a scoring spree, hitting one home run after the other. Congrats, man!
Thanks Ninad. Had to get back on the saddle. And I agree, this was a pretty decent find on a special motorcycle. I think it suits Vegas great. Sports bikes, as I mentioned, is wasted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
This is sweet! I am a fan of the Night Rod but this combination works equally well - silver and chrome just gel together. Congratulations!
Thanks Mohit. I agree, I really dig this combo now. From what I have read in the forums, this combo brings out a lot of details, such as cross hatching on the Chrome sections on certain parts of the bike, that is masked by the blacked out NRS. Never really had thought about that before but, makes sense. Can't wait to see it in flesh. Probably will take at least 10 days before I can get my hands on it. Coming all the way from the Northeast. It is torture, I tell ya.
Old 9th August 2014, 01:49   #4004
BHPian

Quote:

Price tag, $12,000. Very fair, I think. Didn't really bargain, just simply did not want to take a chance of letting it slip thru.
Thats a great buy VLOCT. Fits right into your amazing garage. Where are you buying this from not LV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post

I usually don't water wash my bike fearing water might enter the filters or something. But for cleaning the chain and sprockets, I take it to the nearby self-wash center.
For cleaning the plastics and tanks, I use a Spray Cleaner and wax that is available in Cycle Gear.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 00:54   #4005
Senior - BHPian

This is not something you often see around here. A Panda and a Clio Williams.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_2414.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_2415.jpg
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks