Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2014, 03:34   #3976
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

I am car shopping for a Honda in Texas (Dallas) and have narrowed it down to two choices - both are 2008 accord LX-P's.

First one has 38000 miles, one owner, shows a minor accident (sideswipe) but is being offered by a dealer (so minor niggles are taken care of) and is quoted at $13700.

The other car has 49000 miles, single owner, no reported accidents but has a dent on the running board (between the driver and rear door) and some rattles that I already found the source of (rear speaker tray). Its owner is asking for $12000. I am considering buying it but was wondering how much it would cost to get the dent out (will need paint too).

Anyone have any experience getting such damage repaired? Insurance will not be used.
Old 31st July 2014, 04:47   #3977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Thanks so much and i need all the advice lest i get very casual over it. I did meet couple of folks in the cyclegear store and am incontact with them. Will plan riding with them some time in the future, as i am trying to get some miles under me alone.

Nissan seems to be on a overdrive throwing a lot of discounts mind you towards new car buyers. In phoenix there is a deal going on for group buying.
Yea Nissan seems to be in a selling spree

Guess I missed, but you are in Phx? Look for some local forums it will be helpful.
Will let you know next time I'm in Phx, may be I can come check out your ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The other car has 49000 miles, single owner, no reported accidents but has a dent on the running board (between the driver and rear door) and some rattles that I already found the source of (rear speaker tray). Its owner is asking for $12000. I am considering buying it but was wondering how much it would cost to get the dent out (will need paint too).

Anyone have any experience getting such damage repaired? Insurance will not be used.
Running Board? is that an after market installation(assuming running board is a step)? Dent removal will result in painting the whole part.
If its a private party sale, suggest you take it to some mechanic and have it checked.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:47   #3978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Running Board? is that an after market installation(assuming running board is a step)? Dent removal will result in painting the whole part.
If its a private party sale, suggest you take it to some mechanic and have it checked.
Nope, nothing aftermarket. I meant the strip of that runs metal below the doors (side of the floor pan). There's a deep dent in it on one side. Its about a foot long.

Never had to deal with a body shop in the US before. All I want to know is - am I looking at less than 1000$ to fix that dent.
Old 31st July 2014, 19:07   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Nope, nothing aftermarket. I meant the strip of that runs metal below the doors (side of the floor pan). There's a deep dent in it on one side. Its about a foot long.

Never had to deal with a body shop in the US before. All I want to know is - am I looking at less than 1000$ to fix that dent.
If it can be fixed by PDR.. maybe 200-400.
If you need to take to a body shop 1000-2000. I don't think a bodyshop would be less than a 1000. Maaco could do it for cheaper, but their work is terrible.

Last edited by Jomz : 31st July 2014 at 19:09.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 19:38   #3980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
If it can be fixed by PDR.. maybe 200-400.
If you need to take to a body shop 1000-2000. I don't think a bodyshop would be less than a 1000. Maaco could do it for cheaper, but their work is terrible.
PDR is highly unlikely. I don't need the finish to be perfect though since that part is not very visible. Will get a quote from Maaco.

There a whole bunch of people advertising "at your home" work on craigslist. Anyone have any experience with that?
Old 31st July 2014, 21:15   #3981
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody used the services of these guys : Budget Brakes ?

There are present in a few states, and I basically want to get new brakes for my runabout without the feeling of being ripped off. And maybe an alignment too, to get rid of the steering wheel shimmy.
Old 1st August 2014, 01:59   #3982
BHPian

caught a couple of TVS Apache testing here in CA. Anyone knows more details?

Started a thread on it
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tering-us.html
Old 1st August 2014, 06:18   #3983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Guess I missed, but you are in Phx? Look for some local forums it will be helpful.
Will let you know next time I'm in Phx, may be I can come check out your ride.
Sure man anytime just send me a PM.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 21:25   #3984
BHPian

Got a 2010 Honday Odyssey (Honda Certified preowned) with 52K miles on the Odo fro ma dealer for 20K, all inclusive. With 1 year additional Honda Warranty. Not very inexpensive. Not very bad either.

However driving this beast to office everyday is a pain and is not exactly economical. Planning to get a smaller car. The must haves are
1 - Manual Transmission
2 - Efficient
3 - Fun to drive

I live in Rhode Island and am looking for used cars. What the options I have got ?
Old 6th August 2014, 21:32   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Got a 2010 Honday Odyssey (Honda Certified preowned) with 52K miles on the Odo fro ma dealer for 20K, all inclusive. With 1 year additional Honda Warranty. Not very inexpensive. Not very bad either.

However driving this beast to office everyday is a pain and is not exactly economical. Planning to get a smaller car. The must haves are
1 - Manual Transmission
2 - Efficient
3 - Fun to drive

I live in Rhode Island and am looking for used cars. What the options I have got ?
You haven't stated a budget. But fun to drive small cars - you have plenty in a wide range of budget.

You could get a good fun economy car like a Civic SI or WRX or GTI from the used market - but I would bet that those are fairly well abused by previous owners in most cases. You could also get two seaters like the S2000 or Miata which are also good fun cars. It all depends on what are you looking to spend and what are you willing to look at.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 22:10   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
You haven't stated a budget. But fun to drive small cars - you have plenty in a wide range of budget.

Thanks @vineethvazhayil.
Ha. I was in conversation with my friends and the advice was, now that I have spent 20k on a family car, don't spend more than 8k on your second car. And I take that.
And so I'll have to strike out the 'Fun to Drive' part from my requirement list.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Under 8K
3. Good Fuel Efficiency.

And ofcourse a car that doesn't make a weekly trip to a mechanic.

Last edited by Mudhalaipatti : 6th August 2014 at 22:29.
Old 6th August 2014, 23:35   #3987
BHPian

Interesting article from Yahoo - When driving with GPS is against the law.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/driving...120000471.html

But like someone in the comments section said - old wine in new bottle because they were to ban cigarette lighters, AM radio and cassette players at one time.
Old 7th August 2014, 00:04   #3988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
You could get a good fun economy car like a Civic SI or WRX or GTI from the used market -
Speaking of Civic SI, i wonder if it is really a fun to drive car after watching this video:

I have not personally driven one so I can't say for sure. My neighbor has an Accord and when i mentioned this to him, he says his car also does this.

Do we have any SI owners here?
Old 7th August 2014, 01:05   #3989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Thanks @vineethvazhayil.
Ha. I was in conversation with my friends and the advice was, now that I have spent 20k on a family car, don't spend more than 8k on your second car. And I take that.
And so I'll have to strike out the 'Fun to Drive' part from my requirement list.
1. Manual Transmission
2. Under 8K
3. Good Fuel Efficiency.

And ofcourse a car that doesn't make a weekly trip to a mechanic.
Please evaluate Hyundai Accent 1.6 as well.

I just got one and have observed that they available for less than 8k mostly and with under 50k miles.

The milegae is about 35-40mpg.

hope that helps.

Himanshu
bhardwhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 21:07   #3990
BHPian

As we mourn India's pitiful showing at the Old Trafford Test today morning, the link below may bring a smile to your face.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/unfaith...133049354.html

Do they really spend time and money to do these studies?

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 7th August 2014 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks