Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 09:20   #3871
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
True. It can rain quite heavy during the day too, as I found out when driving from Toronto back to Nashua. For some time, the visibility was nearly 0. I asked my wife to take a video, but surprisingly, the video could not capture the rain. I thought of looking through the camera to drive but immediately realized the foolishness of switching from 3D view to 2D view.
I can understand exactly what you mean man! I was driving in absolutely zero visibility (or so it seemed) on the Mumbai-Pune expressway, but the camera made it appear like it was a mild drizzle. At one point you can see that I had switched the wipers to its maximum speed, yet the video was not able to capture the sheer wall of water.

I wear prescription glasses. Does that make it worse/amplify it ?
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 23:55   #3872
BHPian

Hello BHPians.... I am in Vancouver, Canada and looking up to buy a used car and see that there is an Infiniti I30 2001 make for 4500$, it has clocked approximately 165K Kms and is with all power options including sunroof. Its a 3.0 V6 engine and a 4 door sedan and claims to be clean title.

Is this worth the price? any suggestions?
Old 5th July 2014, 00:06   #3873
BHPian

A 2001 car is just too old and for sure will have its own share of niggles. If possible, you shall consider increasing your budget to get something more recent. Is it going to be your only/primary car? Did you get an insurance quote on this yet, would it cost more to insure than a more recent vehicle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Hello BHPians.... I am in Vancouver, Canada and looking up to buy a used car and see that there is an Infiniti I30 2001 make for 4500$, it has clocked approximately 165K Kms and is with all power options including sunroof. Its a 3.0 V6 engine and a 4 door sedan and claims to be clean title.

Is this worth the price? any suggestions?
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 00:29   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
A 2001 car is just too old and for sure will have its own share of niggles. If possible, you shall consider increasing your budget to get something more recent. Is it going to be your only/primary car? Did you get an insurance quote on this yet, would it cost more to insure than a more recent vehicle?
No, I havent got an insurance quote yet and I am not sure if it will cost more for insurance. Yes, this is my only and primary car but only for city commute, anything more than 150 - 200 kms in a day, I would be renting a car.

My budget is 5000$ and primarily looking at a Honda Accord / Civic, according to my friends here, they say, for this budget I can look for a 2004 or may be 2005 if I am lucky.

I also did some google search for the I30 and turns out that it is a gas guzzler and has a huge turning radius with limited rear visibility.

I probably will not proceed with this option.

Thanks for your time to answer my question.
Old 5th July 2014, 17:58   #3875
BHPian

What do the NA members think of this lease deal

2014 Ford Fusion 2.5L I4 SE - $ 241.47 on a 0 down 36 month \ 31.5k miles lease?It has the 200A package.Going for the 201A package pushes the monthly payment up by $10.
Old 6th July 2014, 08:07   #3876
BHPian

Typically it is more expensive to insure older cars (true at least in Ontario), hence some people drop the comprehensive coverage and go with only third party/liability.

For under or around 5000$, you should be able to find (all less than 160,000 kms mileage):
- 1999/2000/2001 Toyota Camry (pretty much indestructible - specially the ones in beige color )
- 2003/2004 Honda Civic
- 2001/2002 Honda Accord
- 2003/2004 Subaru Forester
- 2005 Nissan Sentra (if you up your budget to 7000$, you may be able to find a 2007 or newer Sentra with fewer than 100,000 kms)
- 2005/2006 VW Golf/Passat/Jetta (cheap to buy, expensive to maintain)

Quote:
My budget is 5000$ and primarily looking at a Honda Accord / Civic, according to my friends here, they say, for this budget I can look for a 2004 or may be 2005 if I am lucky.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 21:14   #3877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Typically it is more expensive to insure older cars (true at least in Ontario), hence some people drop the comprehensive coverage and go with only third party/liability.

For under or around 5000$, you should be able to find (all less than 160,000 kms mileage):
- 1999/2000/2001 Toyota Camry (pretty much indestructible - specially the ones in beige color )
- 2003/2004 Honda Civic
- 2001/2002 Honda Accord
- 2003/2004 Subaru Forester
- 2005 Nissan Sentra (if you up your budget to 7000$, you may be able to find a 2007 or newer Sentra with fewer than 100,000 kms)
- 2005/2006 VW Golf/Passat/Jetta (cheap to buy, expensive to maintain)
Thank you very much sir, so, a 2002 Honda Accord with around 160K mileage would be a good catch

I also came across this Jaguar for sale, Jaguar - S, 2000 model, 140K mileage, lady driven, single owner, for 6000$, I am a bit hesitant to look in to this as I am not sure how would the maintenance be for a 14 year old Jaguar.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:33   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
What do the NA members think of this lease deal

2014 Ford Fusion 2.5L I4 SE - $ 241.47 on a 0 down 36 month \ 31.5k miles lease?It has the 200A package.Going for the 201A package pushes the monthly payment up by $10.
Looks good, based on truecar.com estimates. Did you negotiate on an actual selling price for the car? Or did you negotiate only in terms of monthly payments? What is the residual value of the car? Also, 31.5K miles is less than the more common 3yr/36K mile combination.
Old 8th July 2014, 00:43   #3879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Looks good, based on truecar.com estimates. Did you negotiate on an actual selling price for the car? Or did you negotiate only in terms of monthly payments? What is the residual value of the car? Also, 31.5K miles is less than the more common 3yr/36K mile combination.
Negotiated only in terms of monthly payments as its on the X plan.So there wasnt much to negotiate on the actual selling price.RV is $14675 (57%).Final price worked out to $242 for the 201A package including tax.
Old 8th July 2014, 02:22   #3880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also came across this Jaguar for sale, Jaguar - S, 2000 model, 140K mileage, lady driven, single owner, for 6000$, I am a bit hesitant to look in to this as I am not sure how would the maintenance be for a 14 year old Jaguar.
Balajird , my requirements were pretty similar to yours and I had checked out plenty of luxury cars available in the same price range as a similar age Camry/Accord , heck , even Corolla and Civic. There is a reason why they go for such low prices in the used car market, unreliability and sky-high maintenance being one of them. In my humble opinion, as a starter car in NA , its best to stick to Japanese.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 02:44   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Balajird , my requirements were pretty similar to yours and I had checked out plenty of luxury cars available in the same price range as a similar age Camry/Accord , heck , even Corolla and Civic. There is a reason why they go for such low prices in the used car market, unreliability and sky-high maintenance being one of them. In my humble opinion, as a starter car in NA , its best to stick to Japanese.
Thank you very much Sajo, after posting my query, I thought a lot about it and just gave up of pursuing it fearing the maintenance.

Yup, I am back to hunting on an Accord, however, I keep hitting these Nissan Sentras and Muranos, not sure the reliability / maintenance of these against the odds of Civic / Accord / Corolla / Camry. Thoughts / Advise?
Old 8th July 2014, 02:56   #3882
Senior - BHPian

A Sentra should be fine I guess. They are priced much lower than comparable Civic/Corollas.Not sure why that is. I thought Muranos will be in a higher bracket though. Cars in Canada seem to be more reasonably priced than the ones I came across here in Nashville, TN.
Old 8th July 2014, 03:29   #3883
BHPian

Thanks Sajo, I am still struggling to find the right car, I just dont want to buy one and keep spending on it to keep it running. Hopefully, I will find a good one shortly. Please do let me know if you have any pointers.
Old 8th July 2014, 07:12   #3884
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sajo, I am still struggling to find the right car, .
Balaji - How long is your stay going to be ? If it is more than 2 years, it makes sense to increase your budget to 10K and you should be able to get a very reliable car in that range.

If your stay is <2 years, then leasing is not a bad option.
Old 8th July 2014, 08:53   #3885
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've owned several Jaguars and when we lived in Kansas City I bough my 2002 Jaguar XJR of Ebay. I bought it at around 90-100k and it is currently somewhere around 140-150K as well. It never let me down, apart from a few smaller problems.

The S-model, with 140K, if well maintained, preferably by a proper Jaguar dealer, should be fine. You might want to invest in a Jaguar Buyer check. cost around $100 and it will give you a very good idea on the technical state of the car. But it is a 14 year old car, with 140K so at some point in time you will likely to have some problems. Things just wear out.

You want reliabillity go for a Japanese, you want a car that stands out from the crowd and is really pleasing to look at and to drive, the Jaguar might be the thing.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks