Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:20   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi!!

Have almost finalized a Malibu LT ( Demo car -2000 miles ) MSRP $ -25700 with power convenience package of $1265.
GM special discount $ 2000 + demo car allowance $ 2610 + $ special dealer discount - $600 + corporate discount $354 + bargaining $. 418. Total including Tax and title OTD $ 21500. Have asked him to give me the car for $ 21000 OTD . Awaiting !!!
Finance - 2.49% @ 72 months- option to put on heated leather seats is $ 1650 with a GM certified Maker.

The tussle is between Civic EXL , Malibu LT & Hyundai Elantra Sport . The foreign cars are a little better spaced with heated leather seats, sunroof and fog lamps. Malibu does appeals more with the rugged tank like built and cushy quite ride .

Will update on Monday.
Thanks
Malibu is a good car. I like it especially for its low NVH levels and decent equipments for LTZ trim. One of my friend picked up a used 2013 Malibu LTZ from Hertz Rent2Buy scheme for $18.5k early this year. It had some 15K miles on it. The car is in great condition so far. He did a thorough check-up of the car with an independent garage before making final decision. The problem I see for this car is that it depreciates much faster than Japanese and Koreans.

Last edited by vasoo : 23rd June 2014 at 18:23.
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:41   #3827
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sounds like a deal. Good luck! What exactly does a demo car mean in US? Most often they give you a test drive in the car that you want to buy, unlike here in India where they may have a dedicated car for test drives.

He mentioned Demo car then loaner car. Could be a car which dealers give to drive away for the time the customer car is at service . This car has not been titled. My problem is it does not have heated seats. But have found a co that does after fitment.
Thanks-

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd June 2014 at 20:11. Reason: please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:44   #3828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He mentioned Demo car then loaner car. Could be a car which dealers give to drive away for the time the customer car is at service . This car has not been titled. My problem is it does not have heated seats. But have found a co that does after fitment.
Thanks-
While heated seats is good, is it that important that you want to get aftermarket fitment on the seats? My wife uses that feature, but I barely ever use it - and we live in the Chicago suburbs, plenty cold for those kind of creature comforts. I would suggest that you checkout one winter and then decide if you badly need it.

Quote:
One rule i always follow is never to take corrective action if i find myself taking a wrong exit/turn or missing the correct exit or turn. In and around cities, the GPS will be able to quickly reroute you to your destination. It is just not worth it to risk getting back onto the original route by breaking rules. So, if you find yourself in left only lane when you intended to go straight, dont sweat it.
Can't agree more. People panic and make a rash move and that can mean anything - get into a fender bender or a crash or frustration etc. So yes, I just go on and take the next exit and circle back around.

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 23rd June 2014 at 19:50.
Old 23rd June 2014, 19:47   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks-
Ah a loaner car makes more sense. Yeah they give loaner cars to customers whose cars are at their service center for more than a day i think. Does it have leather seats? I think thats the first thing you need for heated seats. But... i'd be careful about after market heated seat fittings.
Where are you located? I have heated seats too but i use them for not more than 2 months in a year. And then too they take 5 minutes to heat up. My butt would be more efficient in heating the seat
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:59   #3830
BHPian

Is Buick a possibility?
You shall be able to get a 2007+ Buick LaCrosse for fewer than 11k bucks and with 55-60k on ODO. These cars are reliable, comfortable for long journeys, have V6, and are cheap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
I am not too confident that my truck can do a 100 mile commute(current ODO is 137K), and we might need a 3rd Vehicle. I wont sell my truck and am keeping him.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:21   #3831
naj
BANNED

Quote:
Ah a loaner car makes more sense. Yeah they give loaner cars to customers whose cars are at their service center for more than a day i think. Does it have leather seats? I think thats the first thing you need for heated seats. But... i'd be careful about after market heated seat fittings.

Where are you located? I have heated seats too but i use them for not more than 2 months in a year. And then too they take 5 minutes to heat up. My butt would be more efficient in heating the seat

Hi!!

I live in Decatur IL south of Chicago. The car does not have leather seats . The heated coils plus leather seats will cost $1700 . We pretty much use the heated seat feature on the impala. I donot have covered parking at home and office parking is also open so feet the heated seats will make sense to us.

I need one more advise - Just heard from one more dealer about a 2012 Ford SEL quite well equipped , $ 15500 OTD ( tax title included) and 29k miles. Have driven the car and drives very well. Factory warranty still remaining. Is it a good deal.
Thanks-
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:26   #3832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Is Buick a possibility?
Thanks Sumeet.
I owe the Forum an update. I am opting for a 10 month lease of a Tuxedo Black Taurus SHO AWD.
I am taking over a colleague's lease as he is relocating to Essex.

My Monthly payments - 396$. This gives me a bit more flexibility to work with.
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:37   #3833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!

I live in Decatur IL south of Chicago. The car does not have leather seats . The heated coils plus leather seats will cost $1700 . We pretty much use the heated seat feature on the impala. I donot have covered parking at home and office parking is also open so feet the heated seats will make sense to us.
You can probably get a remote starter kit for much cheaper which will warm the entire car & not just the seats

I am thinking of getting it installed before winters too as Kiddo's seat has no such feature :(
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:37   #3834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sumeet.
I owe the Forum an update. I am opting for a 10 month lease of a Tuxedo Black Taurus SHO AWD.
I am taking over a colleague's lease as he is relocating to Essex.

My Monthly payments - 396$. This gives me a bit more flexibility to work with.
Congratulations! Big and fast car that one!
Do you have enough miles left on it to drive 110 miles a day?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 23:44   #3835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Do you have enough miles left on it to drive 110 miles a day?
Thanks Bunch Vineeth. Luckily Yes and No. He has done around 7500 miles, so I have 22500 miles to exhaust in 10 months.

I am thinking - 3xSHO, 1xMazda and 1xTruck. This would kinda ensure that I dont go over the limit.
Old 24th June 2014, 04:28   #3836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Hi folks,
I have been in NJ for more than 2 weeks now. I am a little skeptical to rent a car as I think I might bang the vehicle on the wrong side of the road due to brain being used to driving in India. How did you guys get over this? I'm not a newbie but new in US.

Thanks
Hi Acroback,

Before picking up a rental i used to walk a lot on street. About 2 miles a day and took public transport to commute to work. This gave me enough idea to expect oncoming traffic on the left side. Plus, i also took a $80, 2 Hour lesson which included Freeway driving too. Most of the time it was smooth but once in a while i had trouble locating the correct lane during a left turn.

Shubham
Old 24th June 2014, 06:23   #3837
BHPian

I love reading the user comments on many of the articles that usually get posted. Do check them all out in the Yahoo autos article whose link is below

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...160643802.html

Just posting it out here for the newcomers to the American scene because very many dealers push all sorts of un-necessary options and insurances.
Old 24th June 2014, 21:51   #3838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Understood a lot of signs , also you mostly take right even if you want to go left because of interchanges via exits.
Aah.. the famous jug-handle turns you are talking about.. Have spent a few months in NJ and I too am impressed with them. Such a simple thought, and eases a lot of traffic congestion!
Funnily, I haven't seen them on the west coast.. But haven't traveled a lot, so I could be wrong.
Old 25th June 2014, 00:47   #3839
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Bunch Vineeth. Luckily Yes and No. He has done around 7500 miles, so I have 22500 miles to exhaust in 10 months.

I am thinking - 3xSHO, 1xMazda and 1xTruck. This would kinda ensure that I dont go over the limit.
Thats a pretty awesome car. Have drove it once on rentals.

Does the car have a buy-back option in case you want to purchase at end of lease?
Old 25th June 2014, 01:29   #3840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Does the car have a buy-back option in case you want to purchase at end of lease?
Hey Prem, Unfortunately no. Since we get the Lease at a discounted rate, there is no buy-back option.
Gah, I thought they there were no rentals for SHO.

Ideal car for someone who wants performance but cant afford ze Germans.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks