Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 00:44   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Upon reading Jeroens replies looked up Carmax and like the cars there, is Carmax OK to buy cars?. I don't like haggling and being in a new country would like a car to be covered as wont be knowing any local workshops or mechanics.
I am a noob here too , but you dont need to know any local workshops or mechanics, there are large chain workshops like Firestone around the country. They even inspect the car you intend to purchase for a small fee and give their opinion on it , if the selling dealership/individual allows that.
And some amount of haggling is expected man , even when I was desperate for a ride and wanted a car that very day (Had taken a cab to the dealership) , managed to knock off about 10% from the the OOTD price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
My point is are Indian licences accepted there or one should apply for US drivers permit immediately.

Thanks for reading.
Getting a US driver's license is advisable, but most states allow upto 6 months of driving on an outside (whether foreign or out of state license). You can legally rent a car on your Indian license though. Heck, I have bought and insured my ride here on my Pune laminated printout type license. Insurance premium goes up if you dont put your US driver's license number though.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 19:44   #3812
Senior - BHPian

I came across this hippy van parked at one of the service areas on west bound I90 in Mass. From a distance it looked like one of those roadside miracle medicine shops in India.
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402841547.553891.jpg
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-imageuploadedbyteambhp1402841592.088722.jpg
Old 19th June 2014, 04:00   #3813
naj
BANNED

Hi !!

I am ready to buy a second car . Did some research around the dealer ships visiting them on week ends and after work. Although am ready to spend around 15k out of the door noticed , it will be difficult to get a mid size at that price. Secondly most cars are fleet cars. On taking test drives they do show up on some nicks and niggles and feel am not getting worth on the $$ .

The pre owned nice ones are around 18 to 19k and just a few thousand below new ones. The search is being really tough.
Used cars - http://www.jacksoncars.com/used-inventory/index.htm
New car prices- specials- http://www.mileschevy.com/specials/new.html

Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 06:44   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Hi !!

I am ready to buy a second car .
Thanks
I am in Columbia city, Indiana, which is close to Decatur. If you are keen, there is a neat Chevy Cruze Eco with a dealer for 14900.
It is 25000 miles, 2012 model.
Let me know.

Regards

Himanshu
Old 19th June 2014, 19:39   #3815
BHPian

Quote:
Hi !!

I am ready to buy a second car . Did some research around the dealer ships visiting them on week ends and after work. Although am ready to spend around 15k out of the door noticed , it will be difficult to get a mid size at that price. Secondly most cars are fleet cars. On taking test drives they do show up on some nicks and niggles and feel am not getting worth on the $$ .

The pre owned nice ones are around 18 to 19k and just a few thousand below new ones. The search is being really tough.
Used cars - http://www.jacksoncars.com/used-inventory/index.htm
New car prices- specials- http://www.mileschevy.com/specials/new.html

Thanks
For 15k you must be able to get a decent Corolla or Civic. Look up for the local Toyota/Honda dealer.
Old 19th June 2014, 22:41   #3816
naj
BANNED

Hi!!
Thanks Himanshu- Will let you know soon.
Kraft.Wagen- the Civics and corolla are not so much on inventorying in this area. Possibly our Desi bhandu's are few. Will have to search adjoining areas of a Bloomington il for some Japanese brands where we have a sizable indian population. Have seen Nissans quite a lot.

I have an 2010 Impala LT currently and although it's a little boring to drive am spoilt by the comfort and super quite cabin.

Thanks-
Old 20th June 2014, 01:08   #3817
BHPian

Quote:
Hi!!
Thanks Himanshu- Will let you know soon.
Kraft.Wagen- the Civics and corolla are not so much on inventorying in this area. Possibly our Desi bhandu's are few. Will have to search adjoining areas of a Bloomington il for some Japanese brands where we have a sizable indian population. Have seen Nissans quite a lot.

I have an 2010 Impala LT currently and although it's a little boring to drive am spoilt by the comfort and super quite cabin.

Thanks-
Ah now I get it you are in Decatur? My friend used to live there had the same trouble. But I'd say look for a good deal in Chicago and surrounding areas(may be Champaign). Perhaps you can strike a better deal and not to long a drive.
Old 20th June 2014, 08:54   #3818
BHPian

Hi folks,
I have been in NJ for more than 2 weeks now. I am a little skeptical to rent a car as I think I might bang the vehicle on the wrong side of the road due to brain being used to driving in India. How did you guys get over this? I'm not a newbie but new in US.

Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 00:35   #3819
naj
BANNED

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Hi folks,
I have been in NJ for more than 2 weeks now. I am a little skeptical to rent a car as I think I might bang the vehicle on the wrong side of the road due to brain being used to driving in India. How did you guys get over this? I'm not a newbie but new in US.

Thanks

Hello Acroback,
I look driving lessons for 2 hours for $100 and that gave me a lot of confidence. I was driving right off and shed off the initial inhibitions .Ofcourse be alert always. When turning , I had a rule , when turning right, it's immediate right . When turning left ,it's the far off left.
Have tried this trick with friends and they did good.
You will not have problems. This is one country where you can do close to textbook driving. Am loving it.

Update on car search- being considered- 1)Fusion SEL 2012- 30k miles - factory Warranty - dealer price- $17k
2) Buick Regal 25k miles- certified per owned- warranty - $17k .
3) Honda CRV Ex- from Website - checking Lease at $234 /m plus $2249 DP plus Will seek corporate discounts. So expect the car to cost at invoice prices. Much will depend on residual value at the end of 3 years. Feel even with 30 k on the odo if I go to buy a similar car the price will be much more than the residual value.

Thanks-

Last edited by naj : 21st June 2014 at 00:52.
Old 21st June 2014, 01:04   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
I hear you, NJ/NY is quite tricky that way but not as much as you think. I had similar concerns when i started driving here. Two ways to do this

Option 1 - Take classes as Naj suggested

Option 2 - Rent a car with full insurance(cover damage to car & third party) & drive along with a colleague or friend & brush up your confidence.
Old 21st June 2014, 02:55   #3821
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Thanks
Definitely take a class or two
Be observant while driving with friends and understand how the rules work
Try to get a rental and drive around during late nights or early morn when the traffic is less
Stick to city lanes till you feel confident jumping onto the freeway
Old 21st June 2014, 17:18   #3822
BHPian

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I'll apply for rookie license and join a class after that for couple of weeks.

Appreciate the answers.

I took a Chinatown tour bus to Niagara Falls last week. Sole reason for this sucky tour was to get used to freeways and rules on it.
Understood a lot of signs , also you mostly take right even if you want to go left because of interchanges via exits. Signboards are very verbose and helpful.

Also, joining freeway via lane was understood.
In short, freeway looked a lot simpler because I followed lane discipline in India too. City driving is where I got confused.

Last edited by acroback : 21st June 2014 at 17:24.
Old 22nd June 2014, 05:11   #3823
naj
BANNED

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hi!!

Had mentioned about the pre owned cars in a earlier post . All have damage history on the car fax. We have decided to buy a new car now instead as the difference between certified pre owned or dealer price comparing with new ones with discounts is just about 3k to 4 k with roughly 30k miles for the per owned. Mid trim.
Have almost finalized a Malibu LT ( Demo car -2000 miles ) MSRP $ -25700 with power convenience package of $1265.
GM special discount $ 2000 + demo car allowance $ 2610 + $ special dealer discount - $600 + corporate discount $354 + bargaining $. 418. Total including Tax and title OTD $ 21500. Have asked him to give me the car for $ 21000 OTD . Awaiting !!!
Finance - 2.49% @ 72 months- option to put on heated leather seats is $ 1650 with a GM certified Maker.

The tussle is between Civic EXL , Malibu LT & Hyundai Elantra Sport . The foreign cars are a little better spaced with heated leather seats, sunroof and fog lamps. Malibu does appeals more with the rugged tank like built and cushy quite ride .

Will update on Monday.
Thanks

Last edited by naj : 22nd June 2014 at 05:15.
Old 22nd June 2014, 09:10   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Have almost finalized a Malibu LT ( Demo car -2000 miles ) MSRP $ -25700 with power convenience package of $1265.
GM special discount $ 2000 + demo car allowance $ 2610 + $ special dealer discount - $600 + corporate discount $354 + bargaining $. 418. Total including Tax and title OTD $ 21500. Have asked him to give me the car for $ 21000 OTD . Awaiting !!!
Finance - 2.49% @ 72 months- option to put on heated leather seats is $ 1650 with a GM certified Maker.
Man that is almost 20% discount, good going. You do make a great point of buying new than going for second hand.

Isn't 72 months a long time to be keeping a car and that too in USA or can you quit the loan early if you wanted?.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd June 2014 at 20:12. Reason: please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:55   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took a Chinatown tour bus to Niagara Falls last week. Sole reason for this sucky tour was to get used to freeways and rules on it.
Understood a lot of signs , also you mostly take right even if you want to go left because of interchanges via exits. Signboards are very verbose and helpful.

Also, joining freeway via lane was understood.
In short, freeway looked a lot simpler because I followed lane discipline in India too. City driving is where I got confused.
Yes, freeways are generally easier to navigate than cities. Driving in cities requires you to be very alert to signs, pedestrians and other road users. You are most prone to mistakes when you are close to a big city, with a maze of exits all around you. One rule i always follow is never to take corrective action if i find myself taking a wrong exit/turn or missing the correct exit or turn. In and around cities, the GPS will be able to quickly reroute you to your destination. It is just not worth it to risk getting back onto the original route by breaking rules. So, if you find yourself in left only lane when you intended to go straight, dont sweat it. Take the turn and find the most convenient place to take a U turn or a right-left turn or left-right turn to get back on track. Or just let the GPS take you through the alternate route.

Here is a handy tip for highway driving

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-highway.jpg

By the way, do you know most of these Chinese bus drivers can not read English? They have the routes memorized!

Quote:

The tussle is between Civic EXL , Malibu LT & Hyundai Elantra Sport . The foreign cars are a little better spaced with heated leather seats, sunroof and fog lamps. Malibu does appeals more with the rugged tank like built and cushy quite ride .

Will update on Monday.
Thanks
Sounds like a deal. Good luck! What exactly does a demo car mean in US? Most often they give you a test drive in the car that you want to buy, unlike here in India where they may have a dedicated car for test drives.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks