Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 20:32   #3796
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
My ideal car for that would be.
Thanks Geomy,Vineeth .Which one do you recommend then?
Old 12th June 2014, 21:17   #3797
BHPian

If I've to do it again, I will lease a Jetta/Passat TDI.

I carpool now.

Last edited by Jomz : 12th June 2014 at 21:19.
Old 12th June 2014, 21:40   #3798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Thanks Geomy,Vineeth .Which one do you recommend then?
You have a Ford only rule, right? Euro diesel will work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
If I've to do it again, I will lease a Jetta/Passat TDI.

I carpool now.
There could be great deals on VW, but then again, can he even park it in the parking lot?
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:47   #3799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
You have a Ford only rule, right? Euro diesel will work?
It can work, but I need to do the 1 mile walk.

My other problem is with the Lease period, all leases are atleast 24 months.
My L1A conversion is in process, if there are RFE's /Rejections - then technically I will have to get back next year June. (Ofcourse H1/L1B extension is the alternate actions that my company would be doing)
But worst case, technically there is a small chance that I may have to go back next year June.
Old 12th June 2014, 23:37   #3800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Personally, I just don't buy the science behind K&N filters.

Sorry, I'll live with that 1 less hp.

This is purely my opinion.

I hope you're not revving your engine up to 3000 rpm and the a/c in full blast, before it reaches its operating temperature. It'll dramatically increase the wear and tear on the engine.

$400 is normal for the Inspection/Maintenance 1 or 2 for most cars at the dealership.
Thank you i just bought normal OEM as that was what even i read about the k&ns.

I was revving to 3000 coz it was taking ages. Now i will reduce doing that. In the want of a nail i dont wanna loose a war.

I will see if the prices reduce by removing the air filter and cabin air filter changes. 375 seems to be the ball park amongst all the dealers. Will also check with my mechanic who works at the same dealership. He usually does the work for less at the dealerships location itself.

Maddy
Old 13th June 2014, 01:30   #3801
BHPian

Quote:
It can work, but I need to do the 1 mile walk.

My other problem is with the Lease period, all leases are atleast 24 months.
My L1A conversion is in process, if there are RFE's /Rejections - then technically I will have to get back next year June. (Ofcourse H1/L1B extension is the alternate actions that my company would be doing)
But worst case, technically there is a small chance that I may have to go back next year June.
Should have kept the 600rr
kraft.wagen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 01:42   #3802
BHPian

^^ Prem, oh you bet! I had briefly entertained the Idea of getting a Ninja Z1000 or Street Triple, Would have never worked for such a long commute though.

Selling the bike was a blunder, I never did move to Dearborn and I could have put her in storage.

Are you riding regularly now? How many miles have you put on yours so far ? Any Mods?
Old 13th June 2014, 03:00   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Is it worth it other than being a lifetime of no replacement? Also i live in AZ so is there any trouble with k&n in dusty environments?

AC issue in my car
Could you provide any more suggestions as i do intend on actually getting the ac checked in my next service.
I have a cold air intake on my car. I dont know about the HP gains or losses but i sure do enjoy the deeper engine growl. I think there are some variants of Charger and Challenger (maybe SRT) that come factory fitted with CAI. There is even a MOPAR CAI, which no one buys because its ridiculously expensive for nothing. I have had the conical K&N filter on my cars in India as well, without any issues. So, in the end, it is your call. Are you willing to spend 35$ extra to try out something that is a beginner level modification?

Regarding the AC (first of all, dont crib about 110F weather to someone who is in New England ) on the off day when the sun is high and shining and the weather is hot and i have to park my car in the Sun, i always leave the windows a crack open. That way, by the time i come back, the car is not an oven. Well, it is an oven but not a hot burning oven that you can bake a cake in!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 07:56   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have had the conical K&N filter on my cars in India as well, without any issues.

Regarding the AC (first of all, dont crib about 110F weather to someone who is in New England ) on the off day when the sun is high and shining and the weather is hot and i have to park my car in the Sun, i always leave the windows a crack open.
Will look at the CAI soon. Need to do some research on this.

I should try this trick for AC. Well sigh lucky you.. atleast for the next couple of months.

Maddy
Old 13th June 2014, 08:22   #3805
BHPian

Hello BHPians of USA,

After a long wait I recieved my H1 Petition so thought of inquiring about one of the most important things to me, driving and cars. I have been reading this thread since last night and have a lot of my questions answered but for others request you to please guide me.

I am moving to Arizona and I have saved around 10 K $ for my car fund, mom and dad knowing my love of cars have decided to chip in another 5 and 5 I want to take loan if possible or otherwise go for a car, costing up to 15K. I am single so dont need any family cars. I love the Mustang and SUV's and if possible do not want to buy any cars already selling in India(Just for change no other reason).

Upon reading Jeroens replies looked up Carmax and like the cars there, is Carmax OK to buy cars?. I don't like haggling and being in a new country would like a car to be covered as wont be knowing any local workshops or mechanics.

Can a car be bought in say California(my nearest Carmax) and registered in Arizona or is it too much of a hassle.

I have a Mumbai paper book type driving licence, will that be valid there or do I need to exchange that. Thing is in Gurgaon where I live the licence issued is not card type, it is just laminated. Card type is issued in Delhi but I do not have address proof there. My point is are Indian licences accepted there or one should apply for US drivers permit immediately.

Thanks for reading.
Old 13th June 2014, 19:33   #3806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Hello BHPians of USA,

I am moving to Arizona and I have saved around 10 K $ for my car fund, mom and dad knowing my love of cars have decided to chip in another 5 and 5 I want to take loan if possible or otherwise go for a car, costing up to 15K. I am single so dont need any family cars. I love the Mustang and SUV's and if possible do not want to buy any cars already selling in India(Just for change no other reason).

Upon reading Jeroens replies looked up Carmax and like the cars there, is Carmax OK to buy cars?. I don't like haggling and being in a new country would like a car to be covered as wont be knowing any local workshops or mechanics.

I have a Mumbai paper book type driving licence, will that be valid there or do I need to exchange that. Thing is in Gurgaon where I live the licence issued is not card type, it is just laminated. Card type is issued in Delhi but I do not have address proof there. My point is are Indian licences accepted there or one should apply for US drivers permit immediately.

Thanks for reading.
Congratulations!
Here is the website you need:
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faq/driver-...se-information
Under FAQ, there is a question regarding drivers from another country. I am pasting the response below:
Quote:
You may legally drive in Arizona using a valid driver license from another country. An international driving license or permit is not required, but it is recommended because it can be printed in English and used in conjunction with the driver license from the other country. If an international driving license or permit is used alone, it must be issued by a country other than the United States. Vehicle rental companies may have additional requirements.

However, Arizona law requires that you obtain an Arizona driver license (and vehicle registration) immediately if any one of the following applies to you:

You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).
You are registered to vote in Arizona.
You have place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.
You have a business that has an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.
You have obtained a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
You have remained in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.
Regarding CarMax, i think it is a good choice to go with if you dont have anyone local who can show you the ropes of haggling with the dealers. There shouldnt be any problem in buying a car from California and registering in AZ. Am sure the folks at CarMax will be able to help you out on that.

20K should be able to get you some pretty good American stuff!
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 19:48   #3807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations!
Here is the website you need:
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faq/driver-...se-information

20K should be able to get you some pretty good American stuff!
Thanks for the link and the information. I guess than getting a driving permit will be priority number one. I will need to take some classes to learn to drive on the left side though. How much time does it usually take to get the licence considering variables like work life balance.

Also for 20 K, if I get a loan or 15 K without, what are insurance and taxes like for a first time late 20's driver in the states. I would ideally like to cap my spend at 20 or 15 all included.

One more thing non Auto related , some one was telling me today that you can not take Achaar/Pickle to USA, it is true, I hope it is not. I know it's not healthy but food does not taste the same without.

Thanks again.
Old 13th June 2014, 20:49   #3808
BHPian

Took Achar/ Pickle through Customs (Chicago) this May.

Just tell that that it is pickled, as long as it does not have any live vegetables or so you should be fine.

OT:- you get pretty much every pickle from India here- except pickled fish. That is what I had brought.
Jomz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 21:33   #3809
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Prem, oh you bet! I had briefly entertained the Idea of getting a Ninja Z1000 or Street Triple, Would have never worked for such a long commute though.

Selling the bike was a blunder, I never did move to Dearborn and I could have put her in storage.

Are you riding regularly now? How many miles have you put on yours so far ? Any Mods?
No actually not as much riding these days work has been crazy. Got a set of track fairings

Have you considered trading this truck to get another F150? May be increase your budget a little you can easily get a crew cab or regular cab for around the same budget.

Quote:
Thanks for the link and the information. I guess than getting a driving permit will be priority number one. I will need to take some classes to learn to drive on the left side though. How much time does it usually take to get the licence considering variables like work life balance.

Also for 20 K, if I get a loan or 15 K without, what are insurance and taxes like for a first time late 20's driver in the states. I would ideally like to cap my spend at 20 or 15 all included.

Thanks again.
Its good to have a couple of lessons to get used to the rules here. Also make sure the driving school teaches you the DMV Test route. Insurance depends on the type of car you buy, some insurance companies consider your indian driving history also.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 23:20   #3810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians of USA,

I am moving to Arizona and I have saved around 10 K $ for my car fund, mom and dad knowing my love of cars have decided to chip in another 5 and 5 I want to take loan if possible or otherwise go for a car, costing up to 15K.
Hey EQ

Welcome to AZ. Carmax is well reviewed and they have a good warranty policy which is spoken about well. So you should be able to find a nice car. There are couple of car max in Phoenix also.

Getting your drivers license is fairly easy in Az. You can go for classes which is about 200 bucks but you would need to go to the dmv for the test. It was fairly simple before where an endorsement from the driving school was enough for a license.

Getting a loan without a credit history is going to be tough. They will surely jack up your interest which is fairly not worth it. I had 10% my first year. So also look at building your credit history soon.

There are so many options on cars so please look around all companies, research as you have time, and then take your plunge. Do not walk into a dealership with no idea as they will end up selling you a car which you can have a regret over later. Do your research on the cars you want and your lifestyle before taking the plunge.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks