Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2014, 02:55   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Hey folks,

I was looking for a new Mustang GT in the market and finally decided to buy one! Dealers are giving huge discounts on the Stang right now.
The one that I have finalized is a 2014 GT Premium that has an MSRP of $38,220 and the dealer has agreed to give it to me for $30k. It comes with 19inch wheels, 3.73 gears and security package. A whopping $8000+ discount! I thought it was a great deal!

Reasons I did not wait for the 2015 Mustang:
- I am moving to Austin for my new job and wanted a new car right now as I do not have one. 2015 models won't be delivered until end of this year.
- My budget was max. $30k and I only wanted the V8 GT spec. The 2015 GT will start at 33k. And I am getting this 2014 GT Premium for 30k! Great deal eh?

As much as I like the 2015 model, I simply love the 2014 Stang. It's the last of the retro-modern Mustangs. So do you guys believe I did the right thing going for the 2014 model?

Last edited by theragingbull : 23rd May 2014 at 02:58.
theragingbull is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 03:06   #3752
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
As much as I like the 2015 model, I simply love the 2014 Stang. It's the last of the retro-modern Mustangs. So do you guys believe I did the right thing going for the 2014 model?
You did what you wanted. There can't be anything more right than that!
Post some pics of the car. The dealer website must be having them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Looks gorgeous, Amitoj. Well worth the effort.

I'm all into 'Chadwick's Triple Play' nowadays. It's a breeze and the finished look is as good as any.

Regards.
Thanks! Please tell me more about Chadwick! I tried to open their site but my browser froze :(

Last edited by amitoj : 23rd May 2014 at 03:08.
Old 23rd May 2014, 04:06   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Thanks! Please tell me more about Chadwick! I tried to open their site but my browser froze :(
I like the stuff and the end product. He discourages washing painted surfaces with water frequently. I still wash the wheels and the underbody pretty regularly although, we don't have salt issues here in Vegas. The stuff apparently builds up on each application to provide protection. I have no complaints. Takes less than an hour to do a car.

I never had an issue with website. I just ordered a gallon of their stuff. Not cheap though.

//http://chadwickstripleplay.com/

Let me know if the link works.

By the way, I thought the Charger was on its way out of your garage. Nice to see it's still there.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 05:43   #3754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!!

You did what you wanted. There can't be anything more right than that!
Post some pics of the car. The dealer website must be having them.
Thanks!

Here is the car: http://www.maxwellford.com/new/Ford/...9e8b58bf99.htm
theragingbull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:33   #3755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the stuff and the end product. He discourages washing painted surfaces with water frequently. I still wash the wheels and the underbody pretty regularly although, we don't have salt issues here in Vegas. The stuff apparently builds up on each application to provide protection. I have no complaints. Takes less than an hour to do a car.

By the way, I thought the Charger was on its way out of your garage. Nice to see it's still there.
Yup the link worked. Thanks!

I had to use the polisher because my car had picked up some swirls and water marks during the winters. I guess stuff like this works best when the surface has very little imperfections.

Yeah we decided to keep the charger for now. It is serving me well so far. Except that its almost time to get new tires, which is a nearly thousand dollar expense
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:50   #3756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah we decided to keep the charger for now. It is serving me well so far. Except that its almost time to get new tires, which is a nearly thousand dollar expense
Yeah, bigger wheels cost more, mine are 17 inch & costed me almost 900 bucks. I was shocked to see that a Merc C class with 16 inch wheels costed almost 300-400 bucks less.

So its the size that determines the price of tires.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2014 at 22:21. Reason: corrected 15 inch to 16 inch :)
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:02   #3757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yeah, bigger wheels cost more, mine are 17 inch & costed me almost 900 bucks. I was shocked to see that a Merc C class with 15 inch wheels costed almost 300-400 bucks less.

Mine are 19 inchers
Does anyone have any experience with Nittos or Yokohoma AVIDs?
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:22   #3758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mine are 19 inchers
I don't have any experience with Nittos or AVIDs but if you're looking for long lasting then usually the Kumho Solus do a good job - with a bit of a wet weather trade-off.

Michelin's also I haven't had a problem with.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:24   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Mine are 19 inchers
19" are going to be expensive.

I had Nitto 555 Extreme Performance on my '96 'vette, that I just sold. Great tires. Extreme performance tires are not that great in the wet however, which is not an issue in Vegas but probably a huge issue in NH.

Also, W rated should be good enough (up to 168 mph) for most people unless, you go to the track occasionally. If you do, then you need Y rated.

Try Vredstein, they're excellent tires and more reasonably priced.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:28   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, bigger wheels cost more, mine are 17 inch & costed me almost 900 bucks. I was shocked to see that a Merc C class with 15 inch wheels costed almost 300-400 bucks less.

Who on earth owns a C class with 15 inchers !

I also think it is a supply thing, 15 inchers sell a lot more, 17 inchers are less common.

Quote:
Mine are 19 inchers
I have 18 inch tires on both cars. I think a set runs around 800 to 1000. Your $ damage would be likewise. Look at Costco also when tire shopping. Haven't really known any body who had Nittos or AVIDs.

While you are shopping tires, keep this in mind - Tire Industry Fighting Legislation to Get Aged Tires Off the Road

Last edited by vineethvazhayil : 23rd May 2014 at 21:30.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:20   #3761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Who on earth owns a C class with 15 inchers !

I also think it is a supply thing, 15 inchers sell a lot more, 17 inchers are less common.
My bad its 16 inch, but imagine difference of just an inch & so much price difference

Quote:
Mine are 19 inchers
Oh Boy, All the Best

Btw how many miles did you clock on stock tires? Just the other day someone was telling me that dealer tires last less than the posted shelf life.

If it helps, I got the stock tires which are Michelin MXM4 225/50R17, got them from Costco.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2014 at 22:46.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:23   #3762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad its 16 inch, but imagine difference of just an inch & so much difference

Btw how many miles did you clock on stock tires? Just the other day someone was telling me that dealer tires last less than the posted shelf life.

If it helps, I got the stock tires which are Michelin MXM4 225/50R17, got them from Costco.
Haha.. Yeah, I was really surprised as to who would have a C Class with 15 inchers.

And yes, stock tires would not last much. Most people I know have got 30k to 40k miles from stock tires.

How are the michelins? grip levels, road noise?
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:45   #3763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How are the michelins? grip levels, road noise?
Pretty good for an all season tire(though these as slightly performance orientated than mileage i.e. not low resistance), they saw the worst snow that hit north-east in last few years & I drove in some really bad weather but there were no scary moments.

Road noise, I am probably not the right guy as I rarely drive without Audio but even the few times that I did, it was regular, nothing extra loud than what i have seen with all season tires.

EDIT - Looks like you got yourself a new Highlander, pics & details please

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2014 at 22:55.
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:07   #3764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Barely 30k miles on them.
And holy cow those are nearly 290USD a piece on Costco!! Though the size is 235/55/19

Quote:
Look at Costco also when tire shopping.

Quote:
Try Vredstein, they're excellent tires and more reasonably priced.
I hope they are more reasonably priced than the Michelins at Costco!!
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:30   #3765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - Looks like you got yourself a new Highlander, pics & details please
Yes I did, thanks in no part to the generous total loss settlement from GEICO for the Forester.

I and my wife have interchangeably driven it about 700 miles in the last month. I would be taking it on trip one of the weekends in June and write a detailed review. We got the mid spec XLE AWD. It has most of the stuff I think I need - leather, heated seats, nav, apps etc. My only gripe is the packaging of options - especially the safety tech - they are only available on the top spec version.

Quick driving impressions - Very quiet and refined, doesn't feel as ponderous as some other midsize crossovers I have driven. Suspension for a car of this kind is excellent - comfortable yet not floaty. It can get out of its way easy.

Interior is very well put together - lot of thoughtful touches like the little shelf below the dash that goes from the right of the steering to the front passenger window - can store your little knick knacks there (and be careful not clutter). The Toyota Entune app integration is pretty decent. Second row is very generous with recline and a large seat travel. Third row will be barely used as of now, but it can technically seat 3. Dropping the seats down gives a fairly cavernous cargo area - carried a big eliptical in it the other day - consumed it with ease.

More details after a good long trip. I have a bunch of pics in the team bhp garage already. Let me know if anyone needs any other information.

Quote:
Barely 30k miles on them.
And holy cow those are nearly 290USD a piece on Costco!! Though the size is 235/55/19

I hope they are more reasonably priced than the Michelins at Costco!!
30k on brand new tires seems about right. Watch out for the 70$ off and stuff that keeps coming.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks