Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 21:53   #3736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Yes, this is just significant updates, not a redesign. Not sure if you managed to check it out at the NY Auto Show.
Refreshed 2015 Camry at the NY Auto Show
Thanks, hadn't seen that, looks like a complete redesign or new gen to me
Old 19th May 2014, 22:44   #3737
Senior - BHPian

Last week I finally got my order of Griot's random orbital polisher delivered to me. It was on manufacturer back order for before that.
And last saturday was forecast to be rainy so i told everyone at home that since it will be a rainy day, we wont go anywhere and i will just polish the car in the garage
I stuck to the plan even though the forecast turned out to be totally wrong.

This is the end result after ONR, clay, polish, IPA wipedown, Zaino AIO, Zaino Z5 and Zaino Z8 and nearly one full day's work.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-red.jpg

Hehe, getting the machine didnt really save me time. It just added a couple of more steps to the process.
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 22:46   #3738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
All of those are some serious high miles.
I'd be hesitant to have any of those as my only car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Precisely my feelings too on those prices. They are very very high. What city are you trying to buy a car at? I know some markets have very high car prices, but even factoring that, these prices are at least 25-30% higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
As others have pointed, these are very prices, where in US are you? A colleague of mine purchased a 2001 Camry base model 27k run for around 11-12k
I agree about the overpriced part. I am driving a borrowed car right now(with me added as co-driver while the chap is on vacation for 15 days) , so i am kinda running out of time to get one for myself.
I am located in Nashville, TN. Maybe I am hesitant about buying from an individual , given its my first purchase experience here, so going the dealer way. Boy do they try to pressurize you into buying. They are like I am almost committing a mistake by walking away from a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Crazy high prices. I dunno who is paying this kinda money nowadays.

I have a 05 Corolla, yet to reach 100k. I'd sell it easily for 6k. PM me for details.
Agreed about the prices. Sending you a PM for the Corolla.
Old 19th May 2014, 22:50   #3739
Senior - BHPian

Just realized that I had some typos in previous post which i have corrected below -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
As others have pointed, these are very High prices, where in US are you? A colleague of mine purchased a 2011 Camry base model 27k run for around 11-12k
Amitoj, the finish looks amazing
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 22:50   #3740
BHPian

Nashville?? My Technician has a shop where he sells rebuilt cars there. Those are accident cars , but they make a living off selling these kind of cars. Any problems, you drive back to their shop

Do you need their address or phone number??

EDIT :- Sent shop Contact details

Last edited by Jomz : 19th May 2014 at 23:18.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 01:30   #3741
BHPian

I guess I took the internet buying a little too far Decided to buy the car after reaching US and test drives! Thanks for the help. Can anyone please comment on the ride quality/body roll/NVH levels of CR-V compared to Accord ? Would CR-V be a better long distance cruiser compared to Accord ?

Last edited by idofsuresh : 20th May 2014 at 01:31.
Old 20th May 2014, 02:24   #3742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I test drove several vehicles today, all of them done 150,000+ miles viz.,
- 159000 done '04 Mazda3. The engine purred nicely, and felt quite good to drive. Dealer quoted $6900 after a lot of haggling.
- 143000 done '04 Camry 2.4. Nice shape mechanically, outside had some scratches and paint fade over the mirrors. Asking price was $9.5k , dealer not interested in negotiating it downwards.
- 128000 done '06 Focus. Peppy engine and good shape cosmetically. $7000, did not haggle as I was looking at only Japanese.
- 114,000 done Suzuki Forenza. Did not like it , there was too much paint fade on the hood. Asking $6k.
- 208,000 done '04 Corolla. Okayish shape, cosmetically some issues. Asking $7500 , did not haggle. Engine felt okay.
Hi Sajo,

These are simply ridiculous prices. I just simply did an autotrader.com check within 100 miles of Nashville and this is an example of what you can get for $9000 there.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...72036141&Log=0

There really is no reason for you to be even looking at anything with more than 50,000 miles.

Have some patience, spend some time on Craigslist, Autotrader or other similar websites and even the free auto trader list that you see in most grocery stores.

First thing you need to do however, is to spend some time to define what you're really looking for in a car and what your absolute budget (with the % stretch over your ideal amount) is. Write them down, something like;

1. Four door - carry four people
2. Mileage - x to y mpg
3. Handling/Performance - Important or Not Important.
4. Use - Mostly city, occasional highway etc., etc...

This is just an example. You should write down all the factors that you think are important to you. This may sound obvious but, it'll help you in identifying the cars that you should be test driving. There really is no point in test driving cars like Subaru WRX if, you don't intend to drive them in a sporty manner. Performance cars don't take kindly to continuous 'low rpm' driving, in addition to the fact that, they need higher maintenance. On the other hand, if you want sporty cars, then no point looking at typical family sedans. Whatever you're looking at, 'ONLY' spend the money on the car you want. THERE IS NO NEED TO COMPROMISE. TRUST ME, YOU'LL REGRET IT.

Meanwhile, you need to get a decent understanding of the market before you spend your money. Till then you can always rent a compact or medium size car or may be even a small truck long term, for not much money, if transportation is an issue. That's a much smarter option than spending your money on the wrong car.

Good Luck.
Old 20th May 2014, 23:40   #3743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I guess I took the internet buying a little too far Decided to buy the car after reaching US and test drives! Thanks for the help. Can anyone please comment on the ride quality/body roll/NVH levels of CR-V compared to Accord ? Would CR-V be a better long distance cruiser compared to Accord ?
Case of an apple and an orange, although in this case both with the same engine

Check this. Most of your questions answered and then some.

http://carsort.com/compare/Honda-Accord-vs-Honda-CR-V

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 20th May 2014 at 23:42.
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 01:38   #3744
BHPian

In case you are going to be having family and visiting parents etc., then I suggest a cross over.

Try out the Honda Accord Crosstour (it is very similar in looks to the Porsche Panamera).

http://www.luxury4play.com/automotiv...crosstour.html

http://carsort.com/compare/Honda-Acc...rsche-Panamera

Just my two cents
vulcanize is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2014, 05:32   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
This is the end result after ONR, clay, polish, IPA wipedown, Zaino AIO, Zaino Z5 and Zaino Z8 and nearly one full day's work.

Hehe, getting the machine didnt really save me time. It just added a couple of more steps to the process.
Looks gorgeous, Amitoj. Well worth the effort.

I'm all into 'Chadwick's Triple Play' nowadays. It's a breeze and the finished look is as good as any.

Regards.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 00:13   #3746
BHPian

What about Rust issues Mazdas have?

Have they solved it?

I do not want a great handing Mazda falling apart as rust.
Old 23rd May 2014, 00:20   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
What about Rust issues Mazdas have?

Have they solved it?

I do not want a great handing Mazda falling apart as rust.
Are you talking about a particular model or year? I have a 2006 Mazda3 which is still holding together without any rust.

BTW, I'm in West Coast with no snow fall and very little rain.

-- Jose
Old 23rd May 2014, 00:24   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Are you talking about a particular model or year? I have a 2006 Mazda3 which is still holding together without any rust.

BTW, I'm in West Coast with no snow fall and very little rain.

-- Jose
I have friends who own Mazda 3 and 6 cars - and owned them through many winters and drove through a lot of salt and grime and never mentioned any rusting issues. Some of the cars are 7-8 years old, not sure what was the question based on?
Old 23rd May 2014, 01:40   #3749
BHPian

For example this http://www.auto123.com/en/news/top-1...s?artid=160149
Old 23rd May 2014, 02:50   #3750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
If you have the best rust protected cars, and take no care of the car, even they could get rusted. So I will take the rating with a pinch of salt. Just because you buy a great handling mazda doesn't mean it will disintegrate with rust. If that was the case they would not be selling any cars at all.

Usually most new cars have 7 or 8 years of rust and perforation warranty. Look at this link for example - Mazda Canada - Warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks