Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 04:25   #361
BANNED

KESriram,
A lot will depend on how long you are willing to wait to find the right used car. (Brand, model, features, color, & condition/miles). Try not to limit yourself to just one car model, & color. Narrow down to a known brand car well within your budget, and get a safety check done. Find out how many miles are left on tires, brake pads, rotors, etc. Lots of good used car buying guides online. Check them out. A Jap in good condition will give you more smiles compared to a european car with tons of miles. You can certainly bargain to get a Subaru forester AWD with 70K miles for $10K
2003 Subaru Forester XS AWD | CARFAX 1-OWNER | LOW MILES |

Once you get it, try to pick up on a few car maintenance basics. Changing broken light bulbs, air filters, oil change, wiper change etc. Will save you ton of cash, and add more smiles with miles. Whatever car you pick, do share pics with the carcrazy friends on Team-bhp.
Old 16th September 2010, 07:53   #362
Senior - BHPian

I recommend subaru too. Usually roads are well maintained in US in snow but getting out of your parking lot itself may be a big hurdle after 2 feet of snow. worse if you let it thaw and freeze again over the weekend. Monday morning you will be struggling with solid ice on car. Even hammering with the ice chipper takes a lot of time, then same drill with ice under the wheels. If you live in a good community, probably covered parking and don't intend to drive to exotic locations, you may easily manage with a 2 wheel drive. all three cars I have owned are 2WD.

Also, if you are interested in new cars, look at lease option. i remember 3 year lease on civic starts from 150 a month with 2000 down payment. huyndai usually beats them in prices.

since everybody is posting pics, here's one more. Send the wife!

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-img_3777.jpg
Old 16th September 2010, 10:00   #363
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the consumerreports website. They list some of the most reliable models for different price range. See the links below.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...view/index.htm

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...r-deals-ov.htm

See one list below. Don't blame me for seeing so many Honda models..

Best used cars

Acura MDX
Honda Accord
Honda Civic
Honda CR-V
Honda Odyssey
Honda Pilot
Honda Ridgeline
Infiniti M
Lexus ES
Mazda MX-5 Miata

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...cars/index.htm

Last edited by vasoo : 16th September 2010 at 10:05.
Old 16th September 2010, 22:42   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Also, if you are interested in new cars, look at lease option. i remember 3 year lease on civic starts from 150 a month with 2000 down payment. huyndai usually beats them in prices.
I wouldn't actually suggest to go for a lease. Yea it looks feasible around 150-200$ pm, you get a new car and all.
But if you break the lease before you pay fine for it, you will have limited mileage to be run every year. The car will have to be given in the best condition after 3years, like if there are any scratches or dents you will have to get it done. Well if its your first time here then you will surely need time to build your credit history
Old 4th October 2010, 11:19   #365
BHPian

Hi,

I have been given an option to pick up a regional role in the US. My area of expertise is insurance technology (basically providing IT consulting services to insurance companies). I have also been asked to indicate my preference of location - LA, New Jersey, SFO or Chicago. East Coast and West Coast are locations where insurance companies are largely present. Will 125 - 150k pretax be a decent packet, in any of these places?

Can you all suggest how could make some good choices. My priorities are:
1. good weather
2. easier taxes with only me working (need to make some savings while enjoying a good life)
3. good public schools (i have a 5 yr old son and a 2 yr old daughter)
4. good used car market (yes, one of the key criteria)
5. good neighborhoods (will like a detached or semi in the country side)

Whilst I have worked for a long time in the UK, I have not worked in the US at all. But I know a number of you had worked for a long time in the US. So all suggestions are welcome.

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 4th October 2010 at 11:20.
Old 5th October 2010, 00:52   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Hi,

I have been given an option to pick up a regional role in the US. My area of expertise is insurance technology (basically providing IT consulting services to insurance companies). I have also been asked to indicate my preference of location - LA, New Jersey, SFO or Chicago. East Coast and West Coast are locations where insurance companies are largely present. Will 125 - 150k pretax be a decent packet, in any of these places?

1. good weather
2. easier taxes with only me working (need to make some savings while enjoying a good life)

Whilst I have worked for a long time in the UK, I have not worked in the US at all. But I know a number of you had worked for a long time in the US. So all suggestions are welcome.

BH.

Try to get LA or SFO.
Albeit it'll be more costly - but you are goong to enjoy your stay and beat the crappy jersey weather.
Also - cars in New England area (if not maintained correctly) develop rust in the lower panels quicker, because of the salt used to melt snow in the long winter!
Old 5th October 2010, 01:21   #367
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
1. good weather
If you pick a city just outside of LA like Irvine, or Thousand Oaks (where I see several sky scrapers of insurance cos) that would satisfy 1, 3, 4, & 5. When these are satisfied - almost certainly they would charge #2 to provide for the others

Back to the thread/topic. Just read that "Los Angeles has not only one of the largest high-speed road networks in the world, but also the highest per-capita car population in the world." Driving in Los Angeles County - Wikitravel
That means lots of used cars to choose from, at very competitive prices. I often find LA dealers pricing cars 10% less. $11K for a new Corolla that is $12K in SFO. Same deal with used cars.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:16   #368
BHPian

@ sid, prasadee,

Very useful notes. Will use them for sure. Will PM if required. Hope that will be alright.

BH.
Old 5th October 2010, 23:34   #369
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to sell my current 2001 model infinity I30 [ 80K ] and get a 7 seater for the family. Got couple of questions regarding this.

1. How much can i expect for my car if i opt for a trade in?
2. I might go for Honda odyssey as a replacement because it seems to be the king in minivan segment and have good reviews on 2007,2008 models. Is there any other 7 seater i can look out for?
3. What is your opinion on used car loans? my credit score is below 700 though.

Madhan
Old 26th October 2010, 00:36   #370
BHPian

Guys, am in Seattle trying to hunt for a used car - have been driving a rental for abt 2wks now so gotto decide fast.

Need your 2 cents on this car: Isuzu Rodeo. It's an 02 model with about 83k miles on it. I was never looking for it, but the used car salesman made me take a ride in it and am sold out. Here's the link: 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4

If you remember, I was looking for some hidden gems in the US. Back in India, with abt 4.75 budget I preferred to pick up a 05 Elantra CRDi over the Swifts and i10s. So that explains why am looking at this offbeat model instead of a Civic/Corolla/Altimas etc.,

Since reviews on this SUV are mixed, pl share your thoughts on the reliability of this car - I don't want to end up spending more time at the garage than on the road. I've got an 8k out the door price on this (that includes the tax etc.,) but still think it's high. Is it worthwhile to pick this up at around 6k out the door?
Old 26th October 2010, 22:16   #371
BHPian

I am visiting chicago for about 3 months and the idea of renting a car was too expensive. With a little research and this helpful thread I was able to get a 97 Camry for just 2 thousand dollars. The registration costed me $334 and the insurance $38 each month.

KKB reports the car at the same price! Can't be more happy.
Old 26th October 2010, 22:25   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Monday morning you will be struggling with solid ice on car. Even hammering with the ice chipper takes a lot of time, then same drill with ice under the wheels.
My trick is to place the rear mat on the driver side windshield overnight. Then yank it off, put it in the trunk and drive off with a nice clear windscreen.
Old 27th October 2010, 01:04   #373
BHPian

Aslam,

as long as the car does not break down you should be fine with buying a used camry instead. Can you share some more details of the 38$ insurance? How much is the liability limit?
Old 27th October 2010, 01:11   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Try to get LA or SFO.
Albeit it'll be more costly - but you are goong to enjoy your stay and beat the crappy jersey weather.
Also - cars in New England area (if not maintained correctly) develop rust in the lower panels quicker, because of the salt used to melt snow in the long winter!
absolutely agree with Sid & Prasadee, LA anyday
Old 29th December 2010, 05:47   #375

Re: Buying a car in USA. New, used, etc.

Hello Gents,
I find myself in LA without a car, which means I have become an analogy for a sitting duck. Due to timing issues, I will be actually purchasing a car in Feb nxt year but researching nevertheless (Can't help myself :P).
I thought being in US for the repatriable Dollah's means that I am supposed to be sensible with money and all that and so here are some broad criteria I have.

1. Budget:Around 10-12K
2. Less Depreciation - Keeping for 2 years
3. No legal wrangle - what does a salvage title mean anyway?
4. Repair free
5. Preferably with warranty - If 5 is satisfied. point 4 can be relaxed
6. Fun if I can help it

In that order

Now broadly speaking these are my options

1. New Hyundai Accent types - -ve is more depreciation
2. Pre-owned certified toyotas and Hondas at the upper end of my budget
3. Pre-owned Toyotas, Hondas from Private owners at the lower end of my budget
4. Hatchbacks (in US!!) at the upper end of my budget

Looking for help from like minded Junta living around here.
Also amenable to radical ideas in favor lot more fun!

Jai ho!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks