Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2014, 02:18   #3691
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Close call....T-bone is probably the worst kind of accident that can happen because there is hardly any structure.

Good thing that you are driving a newer car
Old 22nd April 2014, 03:28   #3692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil
Indeed. Many thanks to the force upstairs. I'm still waiting to hear from insurance. I think the likely scenario is totalled. I will be out in the market again then. Not yet sure what to look for.
Why not the new forester, awesome in snow, top IIHS pick. Just look at videos at IIHS. May be an XT this time.
dr.abhijeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 03:59   #3693
BHPian

Sorry to hear about VV's accident. But glad to know that things are fine. I drive via IL-59 and 68 intersection everyday (that too in a Subaru Forester) . You should stick on to Subaru man !!
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:01   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet View Post
Why not the new forester, awesome in snow, top IIHS pick. Just look at videos at IIHS. May be an XT this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vineeth47 View Post
Sorry to hear about VV's accident. But glad to know that things are fine. I drive via IL-59 and 68 intersection everyday (that too in a Subaru Forester) . You should stick on to Subaru man !!
Hehe.. Yes, I would have loved another Forester, but we were already looking to replace it. We have family with us often now, planning to get a Highlander as a replacement. (Yes, I have fought off the minivan!). The only good thing with the accident has been that the totaled value of the car is significantly better than any trade in value or private party sale value I would ever get.

TSP+ is only if you get all bells and whistles, Eyesight and the like - the Forester becomes very expensive at that point especially in the turbo guise.
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:13   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
The only good thing with the accident has been that the totaled value of the car is significantly better than any trade in value or private party sale value I would ever get.
Interesting, didn't know that was possible.
Old 23rd April 2014, 00:19   #3696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well, me neither.

I did some research - what I understood was the insurance company will offer you an average of the selling price of the same car that are listed on sale (or recently sold) in your area. They refer to different sources - KBB, NADA etc. to get the quote. The insurance company may also foot your taxes, registration etc. Some solace for going through the ordeal that I did!
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:33   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Quote:
Well, me neither.
Yes very true, one of my friend had a 01 Mustang which he bought for $4500. When he was involved in a accident and insurance offered to pay him. To add he had no passenger side seat belt, damage rear bumper but since it was written off he got around $5000 from the insurance.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 20:10   #3698
BHPian

Guys from tri-state/East coast area. I Posted this message in the East coast Meet section. Is anyone planning to head over this weekend?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post3415715
Old 25th April 2014, 21:57   #3699
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I did visit a doctor. Things seemed Ok. He suggested that I keep track of anything and everything.

Yes, a bunch of my friends mentioned the same thing, I said "I lived"!
That accident looks horrific - your reflexes saved you! Good to know you're fine.

Quote:
Already lining up replacement options. Thinking of the new Highlander XLE.
Nope, atleast get a car now - they swerve better anyday!
Old 25th April 2014, 22:04   #3700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
That accident looks horrific - your reflexes saved you! Good to know you're fine.

Nope, atleast get a car now - they swerve better anyday!
Have a car already - do need the SUV - need the utility and cargo capacity for various things.

On another note, how much ever I swerve in this case, I would have still taken a hit - just get a vehicle that can take the hit and protect you the most, I guess that should be the motto.
Old 30th April 2014, 06:21   #3701
Senior - BHPian

How easy (or difficult) it is to sell of a car with a rebuilt title? How to determine to what extent or why it was rebuilt ? I read an ad wherein the seller mentioned it was hail damaged hence the rebuilt title.
Craigslist seems to be full of them , all within my budget.
Eg :
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4442771139.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/4446767557.html

EDIT : As I am driving around some of the non-major roads here in my company rented 2014 Dodge Avenger (nice ride quality, transmission seems busy and unsure) , I do see some corner shops with a few American cars (mostly trucks and SUVs though) in their compound, with figures like $4000 or $5000 scribbled on them with chalk. I wonder if it will be worth it to pop in and check out a car or two.

Last edited by sajo : 30th April 2014 at 06:28.
Old 30th April 2014, 06:41   #3702
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How easy (or difficult) it is to sell of a car with a rebuilt title?
A rebuilt title is a title issued on a (mostly) salvage car after it has been repaired, passed an inspection, and is considered legally road worthy.

From state to state it might differ a little bit, but whichever it means a car that has had extensive repairs done to get it road worthy again. Many of these cars were insurance totals/write offs. And although technically completely legal and road worthy you might still encounter problems getting insurance for it.

So, I would advise to run a mile and don't even look at these cars. Why would you? There are literally millions of second hand cars for sale in the USA.

For your budget you should be able to find a a good proper car, either from a dealer, or in a private sale. I found myself a very nice 1998 Jeep Cherokee for a couple of thousands dollar with an official Jeep Dealer. I would advise you to always get a Carfax report or similar that shows the history of the car, before buying. Its not a 100% guarantee, but it is as good a historical overview of the car in question as you can get. Any sellers/dealer that wants to talk you out of doing a car history check, again run a mile.

There are so many cars out there, it is a buyers market. Just take your time and a bit of research.

Good luck,

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2014, 19:45   #3703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
How easy (or difficult) it is to sell of a car with a rebuilt title? How to determine to what extent or why it was rebuilt ?
Why bother at all? You never know what kind of damage was sustained and what was repaired and how stringent was the inspection. If you are ready to spend 5-6k$ you may get a car that was not rebuilt, definitely. Definitely not worth the risk to get a rebuilt car, not matter how well the repairs appear to have been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

There are so many cars out there, it is a buyers market. Just take your time and a bit of research.
Agreed, there is enough choice out there. Patience pays.
Old 2nd May 2014, 02:10   #3704
BHPian

I was at the NY auto show this past weekend.

EDIT: Please check pictures here -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...ml#post3425465 (New York International Auto Show: 18th - 27th April, 2014)

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd May 2014 at 06:19. Reason: Post moved to NY Auto Show thread. Leaving copy here for referen
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 09:39   #3705
Senior - BHPian

Will be relocating to Boston in end of May or early June. Planning to pickup an used SUV. Any recommendation for a 3 member family? I was impressed with an Acura RDX I drove in my last trip. My budget will be around 20k. Not very keen on RAV4 or CRV as they look and feel down market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks