Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2014, 21:51   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What do you guys think about the CVTs though? In test drives, I have found CVT to be a big killjoy.
I have liked the CVT on the 2014 Altimas - as long as you are on regular no rush driving. If you have to really be on the high speed driving mode long (stepping on it), that is a killjoy - agreed.
Old 9th April 2014, 00:49   #3677
BHPian

Sold off the Lexus IS250 and moved into SUV segment. Bought the Rx350. Was considering lot of others which is test drove, only liked the ML350 from the german stable.
Audi Q5 was a big disappointment. The drive and ride and interior etc are all good but the space is too less even for a small indian family. Luggage capacity also felt quite less.
Old 11th April 2014, 21:23   #3678
BHPian

Expert advice needed on this car.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4410296184.html

Kia Rio - 2008/121000 miles.

After the test drive:

Good : No Oil leakage / New tires / linear power delivery.

Bad : repainted car / TPMC and Airbag check light on.

The owner purchased it from a dealer and showed me the title (attached here). It did not mention if the car was a salvage. Would request an input as to how to identify any problems on title.

I need a reliable workhorse. Does this fit the bill?

I am concerned if the car has met with an accident which might have been severe enough to deploy airbags and might have caused some structural damage.

Regards

Himanshu
Attached Images
File Type: bmp IMAG0221-1.bmp (471.0 KB, 286 views)
Old 11th April 2014, 21:46   #3679
BHPian

Repainted and Airbag check on...... is a problem. I would think that is an accident car.
With the airbag check light on, The OBD would think that the airbag system is faulty and the AIRBAGS WILL NOT DEPLOY in case of an accident.

The car is kind of priced low. So maybe.....

If it was a car for me, I would go with ~8k budget. I had bought a 2005 Corolla with 56k miles from the original owner for 7.5k. This was in 2011.

I have a 100 mile commute everyday though.

Btw PM sent on a Camry.

Last edited by Jomz : 11th April 2014 at 22:01.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 13:15   #3680
BHPian

A week of joyful re-acquaintance. The lady is back, now with a much higher level of potency.

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_0071-2550x1434.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_0076-2300x1294.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-dsc_0078-2150x1209.jpg
VLOCT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 19:48   #3681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Expert advice needed on this car.
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4410296184.html

Kia Rio - 2008/121000 miles.

After the test drive:

Good : No Oil leakage / New tires / linear power delivery.

Bad : repainted car / TPMC and Airbag check light on.

The owner purchased it from a dealer and showed me the title (attached here). It did not mention if the car was a salvage. Would request an input as to how to identify any problems on title.

I need a reliable workhorse. Does this fit the bill?

I am concerned if the car has met with an accident which might have been severe enough to deploy airbags and might have caused some structural damage.

Regards

Himanshu
There are a million, billion, zillion second hand cars out there in the USA. Walk away as soon as you feel anything isn't quite right!
Why even bother?

I suggest go the Carmax or buy from any reputable second hand dealer. Gives you peace of mind

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 18:05   #3682
Senior - BHPian

In an accident - and glad that I'm in one piece

I was in an accident yesterday. I was going to work on my normal route. I was waiting first at the intersection below to turn southbound onto IL 59 from west bound IL 68.
Google Maps Link
The light turned green, I moved forward and started turning left only to see a red Chevrolet Express Van approaching from the south at good speed - instantly realized that I was going to take a hit on the driver side. Tried to dodge the hit by going straight on yet still got hit as the van also tried to avoid the accident by swerving left. Had he swerved right he would have hit the car behind me. So for him an accident was for sure. The van climbed the curb and ended up half on the fence at the side. My came to a rest on the edge of the road. Side curtain and driver side airbags deployed. Miraculously, I only had minor scrapes and bruises and walked out of the car myself. Here are a couple of pictures

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-150495.jpg

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-150496.jpg

The van belonged to a building contracting company - a family run business. The owners sons were driving, and they looked late teens early 20s. He admitted that he was looking down (I am pretty sure looking at the phone - texting/ facebook whatever) and did not see the traffic light. The emergency management folks checked me out and suggested that If I feel not ok, goto a doctor. The other driver went to the doctor. The police issued him a red light violation ticket and have set a court date for the hearing. The cars were towed away and I have informed GEICO my insurer about the accident. They are yet to inspect the car but hearing about the damages, they are already talking about a total loss.

I'm glad that I walked out of that one with minimum injuries and sad that our beloved forester may not be back with us ever.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th May 2014 at 16:41. Reason: Please upload pictures directly to Team-BHP servers. See the thread in the Announcements section. Thanks.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 18:35   #3683
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident. Looks nasty indeed, but also glad to hear there are no injuries.

My first suggestion to you is to go to a doctor or to an ER right away (usually to be done within 24 hrs of the incident) and get yourself checked - let the doctor know you are visiting because you were involved in an accident.

During the check up, be truthful with the doctor, but let the doctor do his own assessment on your state (do not say "I've never felt better").

It will be handy to have on record that you were checked by a doctor after the accident, even if you are feeling fine. It is a precautionary thing to close the loop after an accident, and I recommend you get it done. Things will pop up in the future that could be linked to this accident and at that time you need proof that you were given a medical check after the accident.

If you get a choice, let the insurance company total the Subaru instead of getting it repaired, considering that the airbags have blown.

Again, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get back on track soon.
NinadJoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 19:04   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad that you came out without a scratch! Reminds me of the "they lived" ad campaign by Subaru!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 05:16   #3685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident. Looks nasty indeed, but also glad to hear there are no injuries.

My first suggestion to you is to go to a doctor or to an ER right away (usually to be done within 24 hrs of the incident) and get yourself checked - let the doctor know you are visiting because you were involved in an accident.

If you get a choice, let the insurance company total the Subaru instead of getting it repaired, considering that the airbags have blown.

Again, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get back on track soon.
Thanks! Yes, I did visit a doctor. Things seemed Ok. He suggested that I keep track of anything and everything.

I think there is frame damage on the car, which means that it is more than likely that insurance would like to declare the car a total loss. I would wait to hear from them on Monday. I prefer that as well.

Already lining up replacement options. Thinking of the new Highlander XLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sorry to hear about the accident but glad that you came out without a scratch! Reminds me of the "they lived" ad campaign by Subaru!
Yes, a bunch of my friends mentioned the same thing, I said "I lived"!
Old 20th April 2014, 07:04   #3686
BHPian

Re: In an accident - and glad that I'm in one piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I was in an accident yesterday. I was going to work on my normal route..
Glad you walked away safe VV. Forester looks pretty badly hit.

Will your insurance pay up or the Van guys?
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 11:11   #3687
BHPian

@vineeth;

Glad to hear that you are ok. Give thanks to the man upstairs.
VLOCT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 19:16   #3688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@vineeth;

Glad to hear that you are ok. Give thanks to the man upstairs.
Indeed. Many thanks to the force upstairs.

I'm still waiting to hear from insurance. I think the likely scenario is totalled.

I will be out in the market again then. Not yet sure what to look for.
Old 21st April 2014, 19:42   #3689
BHPian

@Vineeth : Glad you are ok. Thank to all stars you came out with minimum injuries. Was anybody else in the car ? I do see that Driver side and Seatbelt airbags are deployed.

Strange that driver side window glass is not shattered for the impact but the side airbags were deployed. Shows that your beloved Subaru is well built.
Old 22nd April 2014, 00:17   #3690
Senior - BHPian

That looks bad, Glad to know you are alright.

Great advice from Ninad, I remember a story from my brother, one of his friend's foot was run over by a car which was reversing. The car owner was good & asked if he needs to go to hospital or see a Dr. This fellow said no, after a few days its started hurting & turned out that he had a hairline fracture.

Then again a friend of mine who was hit from behind by a truck (proper container one) which totaled his civic. He got full the price for civic & some more from Truck driver's company as he got himself admitted to hospital & claimed impact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks