Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 04:07   #3661
BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
Recently I was surprised to see small stretches of rust appearing near the edge of the roof where it meets the rear windshield on my 2009 Altima. Isn't it too ealry for a 2009 car to start rusting, that too on the roof? Please suggest what to do to keep it in check.

Thanks.
If you have warranty (or extended warranty), take it to the dealer and make them fix it.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 04:52   #3662
BHPian

Would the members have any idea on the reliability of 2004 Sonata manual done about 91k miles. Its a single owner car being quoted at $2500. Is it good for daily commute for atleast 2 years?

Regards

Himanshu
Old 2nd April 2014, 05:04   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhardwhu View Post
Would the members have any idea on the reliability of 2004 Sonata manual done about 91k miles. Its a single owner car being quoted at $2500. Is it good for daily commute for atleast 2 years?

Regards

Himanshu
Hyundai's and Kia's from 10 years back were reputed to be poorly built and poor quality etc - It maybe entirely untrue, but that was the general impression amongst the car buying population. They started offering the 10 year warranties and guaranteed buyback programs to build confidence in the brand.

That said, it does not necessarily mean that this car you are talking about is crappy and unreliable - take it for a good test drive, have it inspected - if things check out fine, it should be a value for money purchase.
Old 2nd April 2014, 05:23   #3664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Hyundai's and Kia's from 10 years back were reputed to be poorly built and poor quality etc
Thanks.
The car is 4 cyl and I have concerns about spares availability should the car be alright and found worth a purchase as on today. Any pointers?
Himanshu
Old 2nd April 2014, 05:57   #3665
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks.
The car is 4 cyl and I have concerns about spares availability should the car be alright and found worth a purchase as on today. Any pointers?
Himanshu
Himanshu, For a daily beater you will like it. Do a test drive, and make sure you see the smog check certificate. It is illegal to sell a car that will not pass smog. As it is a 2004 car - the 10 year 100k mile hyundai warranty may be about to expire. I think I found the listing on the cincinati CL of the 2004 sonata with 91k, the pics do look decent. See if you can get a smaller Kia/Hyundai that has at least one year of warranty left. Like this -http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/4402198086.html or http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/4401906093.html

Once you get the car, you can rent a trailer and drive to distant towns to pick up your touring bike

Last edited by prasadee : 2nd April 2014 at 06:00.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:12   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
If you have warranty (or extended warranty), take it to the dealer and make them fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Find Nissan;s customer care number from the user booklet and get a case-ticket started with Nissan to see if they can direct you to a dealer. There is a 60 month corrosion/rust warranty on most Nissan vehicles (which is usually for the first buyer only, but no harm in trying because they will sometimes entertain genuine concerns).

If Nissan refuses (which it might in the first attempt), then your only alternative would be to have it fixed from your own pocket.
Thanks friends. The car is already out if its 5 year corrosion warranty. Even though this is a 2009 model, this was purchased by the first owner sometime in late 2008.

I can try to have it fixed from your own pocket. But what can of fix would be required? Would that area need to be repainted or is there some kind of anti corrosion treatment available?
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:42   #3667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Once you get the car, you can rent a trailer and drive to distant towns to pick up your touring bike
Thanks Prasad.

The other day I had gone to pick up the 3000 miles run FJR1300, which you had recommended , after driving 300 miles in a borrowed car. I got delayed by five minutes and it was sold right in front of me.

Now, I really need to have something to commute on my own before traveling wide and far to hunt for a motorcycle!
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:56   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
Recently I was surprised to see small stretches of rust appearing near the edge of the roof where it meets the rear windshield on my 2009 Altima. Isn't it too ealry for a 2009 car to start rusting, that too on the roof? Please suggest what to do to keep it in check.

Thanks.

The warranty is only against perforation i.e holes by rust. Surface rust won't be covered. Still call , maybe they might do something.
Jomz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2014, 01:29   #3669
BANNED

Quote:
The other day I had gone to pick up the 3000 miles run FJR1300, which you had recommended , after driving 300 miles in a borrowed car. I got delayed by five minutes and it was sold right in front of me.
That sucks big time. It did give you a good idea about how soon you need to act when you find something you like. Usually people who list something that says "OBO/or best offer" want a super fast sale. My typical transaction on Craigslist takes 30 mins. Buyer shows up, starts the bike, couple quick questions, hands the DD/cashiers check, and drives off.
Old 7th April 2014, 22:05   #3670
BHPian

For all those who're giving compact car buying advice for NA (USA):

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t/viewall.html

Quote:
Verdict

7th Place: Dodge Dart A handsome handler, and you'll pay less per pound or per pony, but it costs the most in the long run.

6th Place: Volkswagen Jetta How many bells and whistles must you trade for big turbo fun? Most of them.

5th Place: Hyundai Elantra Jack of all compact virtues, master of none -- a solid-C all-arounder.

4th Place: Toyota Corolla You could do yoga in the back seat -- and have way more fun than driving the car.

3rd Place: Honda Civic Great tranny, brakes, and sticker price, but where's that magic Honda driving joy?

2nd Place: Kia Forte A fantastic little car let down by a dodgy safety rating and high ownership costs.

1st Place: Mazda3 The Big Test report card with the most As wins.
Activ8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 22:18   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Interesting! Surprisingly, the car coming in last is the safest!! The Dart, that is. Also, has it been on the roads long enough to decide that it costs more in the longer run? Or was it purely based on mpg figures?
Old 8th April 2014, 00:43   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Interesting! Surprisingly, the car coming in last is the safest!! The Dart, that is. Also, has it been on the roads long enough to decide that it costs more in the longer run? Or was it purely based on mpg figures?
There is a table halfway down the article which splits up the costs.
Old 8th April 2014, 00:51   #3673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been out a year and half now, correct? Considering how difficult it has been for Dodge to get people to buy the Dart, the depreciation numbers should be spot on. So the rest of the story builds up. It is a prediction, not actual data, however fuel costs, depreciation, insurance etc would be accurate.
Old 8th April 2014, 01:03   #3674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have my doubts too, the Elantra wins on all counts yet is 4th?

They called Mazda's interface as state of the Art, did they see Dart's LCD interface??
Old 8th April 2014, 02:26   #3675
Senior - BHPian

Well, article ratings aside, nothing will change the fact that Corolla and Civic will continue to sell in way bigger numbers than the rest. But I continue to be amazed by how Kia has turned things around. From being the butt of all car jokes not long back, to beating its long established Japanese and Korean siblings in review after review, you have to admire the distance that company has travelled in a short time.
What do you guys think about the CVTs though? In test drives, I have found CVT to be a big killjoy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks